New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Blaaaaarg essays x.x (and other school woes)

It's official. I'm not taking an English major.

I haaate essays. I hate hate hate them. You'd think that taking a closer look into Watchmen would be more interesting, but nooooo. I've been working on this damn thing all day and I'm so mentally exhausted I can't spell exhausted without a spell checker.

What makes it even worse is that it turns out, this baby was due yesterday. I thought it was due in November so I've been taking the research slow and easing myself into it, but nope. No sanity for Moon_Called. Gotta writewritewritewrite with occasional breaks to flip through articles and comics for refrences because plagiarism is baaaad.

I mean, I love Watchmen, but I really hate examining books like this. Hate hate hate.
    So glad being an art student means I don't have to write a lot of essays. x.x

Misery loves company, I suppose, and there's no end to stories about how much school sucks and I just tried to write that as "stucks" blarg. Anyway, yes, share. Yeah.
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2010-10-26 at 10:17 PM.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Blaaaaarg essays x.x (and other school woes)

I feel your pain. Sometimes essays are fun to write, if you know what you're talking about and are passionate on the subject. Other times... blaaaaarg is right. The Muse is as CN as the Random Number God.

Now take the worst of school essay writing, raise the stakes, and multiply by ten. Voila, college essays!

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ugh, you have no idea. I'm losing a letter grade a day for each day it's late on it's final mark. And considering how rushed it is, there's no way I'm getting anything more than a B.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Oh... I loved writing essays... I wanna go back to uni just so I can do some more...

If anyone needs a hand with an essay, I'd be happy to help

What got me was the month where I had four essays - one due each week. That taught me how to manage my time all right!

What really annoyed me most? The time in high school we had to do an experiment write up and one of my friends asked to borrow my copy so she could do her own write up. I gave them to her, thinking she'd just copy the data (since we worked together on the experiment) and do the actual writing herself. Nope. She copied me pretty much word for word. I was NOT impressed. Teacher wrote a note in my book something along the lines of 'this is almost identical to X's, please don't do it again'. I rather suspect he knew the work was originally mine, and that I never would have given it to her if I'd know that she was going to outright copy it. I'd gotten 9/10 on that assignment, and though I hate to say it, I was better at the subject than my friend.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Oh... I loved writing essays... I wanna go back to uni just so I can do some more...

If anyone needs a hand with an essay, I'd be happy to help

What got me was the month where I had four essays - one due each week. That taught me how to manage my time all right!

What really annoyed me most? The time in high school we had to do an experiment write up and one of my friends asked to borrow my copy so she could do her own write up. I gave them to her, thinking she'd just copy the data (since we worked together on the experiment) and do the actual writing herself. Nope. She copied me pretty much word for word. I was NOT impressed. Teacher wrote a note in my book something along the lines of 'this is almost identical to X's, please don't do it again'. I rather suspect he knew the work was originally mine, and that I never would have given it to her if I'd know that she was going to outright copy it. I'd gotten 9/10 on that assignment, and though I hate to say it, I was better at the subject than my friend.
    I never lend my papers to my friends anymore. I always pretend I haven't done them.

Which is actually true most of the time, considering most assignments I start the previous night.

Still, though, I agree with you. I like Essay writing. If the subject is something I like I'll just write away happily.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I remember taking a Josh Lyman approach to essays, staying up until 3am sometimes to get them done. Did a really good essay that late, BTW, about Gettysburg.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I have a friend like that. She wouldn't start an essay til the day before it was due. And she always got As. We hated her

Though to be fair, she had always done the research and a brainstorm a couple of weeks before the due date. She just didn't start writing til the day before. We still hated her though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

This was mainly because I had several essays due in that same week. Some lecturers were more lenient in giving extensions than others when I had a lot due at once.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

9. - Top - End - #9
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I have a friend like that. She wouldn't start an essay til the day before it was due. And she always got As. We hated her

Though to be fair, she had always done the research and a brainstorm a couple of weeks before the due date. She just didn't start writing til the day before. We still hated her though.
    I rarely do the research beforehand. Unless I know I won't be able to the previous night.

In other words, I take the concept of "work stretches to fill the time it is given" to a whole new level.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Wait... there are people that don't do that?

That's... that's me every essay. (And everyone else in my class, with the possible exception of the grade.)

'Course, we're in high school. So that might change it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    This was mainly because I had several essays due in that same week. Some lecturers were more lenient in giving extensions than others when I had a lot due at once.
    That reminds me of the time one of my lecturers didn't penalise me for handing in an assignment late. It was one of the times I had a bunch due at the same time. This was a smaller one so I did it a week or two early and set it aside 'in a safe place'. Of course, when it came time to hand it in, I'd forgotten all about it. I remembered the Saturday after it was due (due date was a Friday) and went tearing down there to stick it in the box, thinking "there goes 20% of my grade". Later that day I get a call from my lecturer asking what had happened. I explained that I'd done it and had simply forgotten to hand it in, and he decided not to penalise me for it

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz View Post
    'Course, we're in high school. So that might change it a bit.
    Yeah she did it in high school and right through uni...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I actually have a paper due tomorrow that I haven't started yet. I do my best work under pressure. Actually, I only do work under pressure. I have serious motivation problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called
    What makes it even worse is that it turns out, this baby was due yesterday. I thought it was due in November so I've been taking the research slow and easing myself into it, but nope. No sanity for Moon_Called. Gotta writewritewritewrite with occasional breaks to flip through articles and comics for refrences because plagiarism is baaaad.
    First time I read this, I thought you were actually having a baby.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

When I write essays, I go in loops. Like...A -> B -> C -> notquiteA -> notquiteB -> notquiteC -> notAagain...

Then I rearrange and merge everything. It's very odd.

Also, *supercuddles* =\
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes! Essays are terrible

My the end of this semester I have to have an 8 page essay for History.

I wish I hadn't taken the course. It's African American history. It would help if I had any interest in the topic, but "modern" history is so dry

Oh well I'll get through it somehow. The nice thing is that after this course and the 2 English courses I have to take I won't be writing any more massive essays. I'm in Business by the way, planning on majoring in accounting.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sounds like me in school. 'Cept a few times (well, okay, about half the time ) I'd end up forgetting the hand-in date and have to start it the night of the day it was due. Or the morning it was due, if I lucked out...

(Kids! Don't be like Faceist! Try hard in school, brush your teeth and get plenty of vitamin B!)
    Faceist avatar by Kwarkpudding. Cheers!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    Yes! Essays are terrible

My the end of this semester I have to have an 8 page essay for History.
    8 pages?

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh... it's just that to me, 8 pages is nothing. Heck, 8 pages for me would be what? Something along the line of 5,000 words? Maybe, I'm not sure... okay, I take it back... 8 pages is only 2,000 words or so. Of course, all my essays had to be formatted in double spacing, if it's single spacing it'd be closer to 5,000.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound uncaring, I don't imagine you have to write many essays in accounting. It's just that I've written two theses during my uni time, and they were both considerably longer than 8 pages. It always surprises me that not everyone finds it easy to write...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

8 pages?

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh... it's just that to me, 8 pages is nothing. Heck, 8 pages for me would be what? Something along the line of 5,000 words? Maybe, I'm not sure... okay, I take it back... 8 pages is only 2,000 words or so. Of course, all my essays had to be formatted in double spacing, if it's single spacing it'd be closer to 5,000.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound uncaring, I don't imagine you have to write many essays in accounting. It's just that I've written two theses during my uni time, and they were both considerably longer than 8 pages. It always surprises me that not everyone finds it easy to write...
    I know that's not a lot for some people, but I just can't drag things out that long. Not to mention this is my first year of university and high school essays are hardly essays at all, although I still had trouble with them.

I'm a math guy myself. Nice and straightforward, nothing tricky about it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I know that's not a lot for some people, but I just can't drag things out that long. Not to mention this is my first year of university and high school essays are hardly essays at all, although I still had trouble with them.

I'm a math guy myself. Nice and straightforward, nothing tricky about it.
    I know, sorry

Let me know if you need a hand. I don't know much about the subject matter (I did history, but not the type you're studying). But I do know how to write. I'm happy to help if you need a hand keeping it going for that long.

First year of uni isn't easy, and I must admit, it took me a while to get the hang of writing anything more than 1,000 words.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I know, sorry

Let me know if you need a hand. I don't know much about the subject matter (I did history, but not the type you're studying). But I do know how to write. I'm happy to help if you need a hand keeping it going for that long.

First year of uni isn't easy, and I must admit, it took me a while to get the hang of writing anything more than 1,000 words.
    I might take you up on that offer, but now isn't the time to worry yet. Now I have to worry about the 3 page essay due in two weeks. I should be able to pull that one off though.

My parents seem to think it would be a good idea to go to an essay writing course the university provides. I probably should, it might help.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

When he was in high school, my dad once wrote an essay a class or two before it was due. It was supposed to be about something he knew. He wrote about procrastination. He got the best grade in the class and his teacher had him read it to everyone.
    I've sorta inherited that .-.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

See, I should be finishing a paper on the Seven Samurai right now, but instead I'm on the internet. Looking at this. The irony astounds me.

Okay, I'm going to go do that work so I can actually maybe sleep tonight. Or something.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I might take you up on that offer, but now isn't the time to worry yet. Now I have to worry about the 3 page essay due in two weeks. I should be able to pull that one off though.
    No problem, send me a PM if you need a hand

My parents seem to think it would be a good idea to go to an essay writing course the university provides. I probably should, it might help.
    They're good I've never been to one myself (according to my Classics teacher, I was writing uni-level essays my last year of school). But I've had friends who went to them, and they said it was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    When he was in high school, my dad once wrote an essay a class or two before it was due. It was supposed to be about something he knew. He wrote about procrastination. He got the best grade in the class and his teacher had him read it to everyone.
    I've sorta inherited that .-.
    Heehe, that's awesome

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm in the camp that loves essays I'm afraid. Now on the other hand, more science/maths type stuff makes my brain start to melt.

My approach to essay writing is out of the five days I have for each essay, read for half a day take 2.5 off, read 8-10 books on day 4, spend day 5 reading/writing. doing that for two essays a week has worked well so far, though it gets annoying when the essays are due in on consecutive days. Factor in lectures, supervisions and some time to work on my second year dissertation and my free days do diminish somewhat.

But yes, I do love essays, though the subject matter really does make a difference. Take this week for example, the essay I wrote yesterday on The Irish Church between the 6th and seventh centuries I hated writing, but then again, I hated doing the reading for it. The essay I'm gearing up to write today however I'm looking forwatd to, as the research into Iron Age Scandinavian bog finds is highly interesting.
    Punting, champagne and suits. Ah, the joys of being a Squashman and Anglo-Saxophonist.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Stadge View Post
    The essay I'm gearing up to write today however I'm looking forwatd to, as the research into Iron Age Scandinavian bog finds is highly interesting.
    That does sound fascinating. What are you studying?

Yeah, actually enjoying the topic makes a huge difference in how easy it is to write. As I found out while slogging through my MA (actually, I knew that before I started the MA, I just didn't listen )

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

That does sound fascinating. What are you studying?

Yeah, actually enjoying the topic makes a huge difference in how easy it is to write. As I found out while slogging through my MA (actually, I knew that before I started the MA, I just didn't listen )
    Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic Though I've switched out my language papers to essentially just have a degree that's made up history and archaeology.

And ouch, sounds like it wasn't too pleasant. I'll try and keep that in mind.
    Punting, champagne and suits. Ah, the joys of being a Squashman and Anglo-Saxophonist.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Stadge View Post
    Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic Though I've switched out my language papers to essentially just have a degree that's made up history and archaeology.

And ouch, sounds like it wasn't too pleasant. I'll try and keep that in mind.
    Whoooo!!! Another archaeologist! You have no idea how excited that makes me

I will freely admit, the MA thing was entirely my own fault. For all you essay-writers out there who are given the option to choose your own topic - be careful!

I loved the topic I did for my BAHons thesis, had a great time doing it. For my MA, my supervisor suggested a topic that would be very 'sellable'. Stupidly I listened to him. He was right in that it would look much better on a resume than the topic I had in mind... unfortunately, I hated his topic, and I really struggled with writing/researching/basically the entire degree. I should have very politely told him to shove it, and done the topic I wanted to do, which to this very day still gets me excited and enthusiastic. I just doubt I'll ever have the chance to study it

So be careful You have been warned.
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2010-10-27 at 02:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Hi, Engineering Major here. I also like writing essays...

Now wait, why are you grabbing those pitchforks. And torches, really? Don't you see the fire? Maybe you should grab-

Oh, heh, water. Of course.

Maybe I should shut up before things get worse.

*Runs*
    Last edited by TFT; 2010-10-27 at 02:49 AM.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiery Tower View Post
    Hi, Engineering Major here. I also like writing essays...
    You're an engineering major and you like writing essays?

I think you just made the universe cry

29. - Top - End - #29

You're an engineering major and you like writing essays?

I think you just made the universe cry
    Yea, I don't exactly know why. Maybe its because of the analysis, and I almost view it like some kind of engineering project, with each sentence its own part of the programming or design... A weird way to look at it, yes, but it works for me.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. Wasn't I running just a second ago? Right, I'll go back to that then.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Whoooo!!! Another archaeologist! You have no idea how excited that makes me

I will freely admit, the MA thing was entirely my own fault. For all you essay-writers out there who are given the option to choose your own topic - be careful!

I loved the topic I did for my BAHons thesis, had a great time doing it. For my MA, my supervisor suggested a topic that would be very 'sellable'. Stupidly I listened to him. He was right in that it would look much better on a resume than the topic I had in mind... unfortunately, I hated his topic, and I really struggled with writing/researching/basically the entire degree. I should have very politely told him to shove it, and done the topic I wanted to do, which to this very day still gets me excited and enthusiastic. I just doubt I'll ever have the chance to study it

So be careful You have been warned.
    Yay! though I'm fairly new to the archaeology side, made use of a couple of articles last year, but only picked up the actual relevant paper this time round. 'Tis fun though

And ah, that really doesn't sound too fun at all. Though I really do hope you get the chance to study it one day.