New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy (GURPS 4E) IC

Enyenya

The pixie stares some more. "...She just offered to let us take a look at her horde. And told us not to touch the eggs. Which means the eggs are with the horde. If she was lying it would be pretty easy to tell, as soon as we see the eggs aren't there."
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

And if those eggs hatch and the hatchlings go off and spread the taint? Even if that creature isn't of the taint maybe it's eggs are now. And if we were to go into that den it might just block the exit and fry us.
    Last edited by Phunbaba; 2010-09-22 at 08:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aderyn hovers nearby, spear in hand. Prior to the dragon's speech she was keeping a wary eye on it, but Alan now has her full attention.

"Do you know something of magic that you're not letting on, or are you just frothing at the mouth? That sometimes happens when bitten by something sick, but not so fast...

I don't know Eadalil isn't causing the taint, but there's a lot of things I don't know aren't causing it. It's no good to try to kill all of them. And she seems decent enough. Good taste in enemies at least."
    Aderyn briefly eyes the scattering of already-rotting dogs. "I hope the taint and the dogs come from the same source. One such problem is more than enough."

4. - Top - End - #154

Zombie

Alan will let his axe arm lower. He doesn't let the axe drop or but it away but at least it's lowered. Grudgingly, It's nothing more then a gut feeling and recollections of stories I've heard. In a more normal tone, I suppose your right at that. No use going after everything you can't account for. Still I think I'll keep an eye on it if you should decide to enter it's layer. I'll give you my word I'll not try to kill it so long as it doesn't try anything. And with a smile and a laugh to his diminutive adversary, Be happy I'm convinced. I'll not hurt the thing.
    Last edited by Phunbaba; 2010-09-23 at 04:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

NecromancerGuy

As the sun continues to rise after the battle, Aderyn notices a slight stirring out of the corner of her eye. From her aerial position she notices what the rest of the party has failed to examine. For whatever reason, the bodies of the defeated canines are beginning to move again.

They're not standing up yet, more it seems as if they are putting themselves back together. The heads of the dogs that the young knight had nearly severed, now seem firmly attached. Spasms seem to course through the creatures as various wounds begin to heal.

The dragon looking at the young knight, speaks with a weary growl, "I suppose, I should have expected as much from a cowardly human. Your kind has constantly attacked mine in our sleep or when we have been injured. The reason has always been to cleanse the world of evil, and I suppose our gold was just an added bonus. Or perhaps your true motivation was greed, and the supposedly 'evil' taint that we carry is merely an excuse to appease your conscience for killing us when we are weak or sleeping."

6. - Top - End - #156

Zombie

Alan

Towards Eadalil, If you'd like I might be able to convince, well, some of my fellows to stay hear and heal us up quickly so we can have a proper match. To kill you now would rather seem to go with what you were saying. To see you at least I think the legends are sadly exaggerated. I could see you killing a cow, but not carrying two off. And most anything could kill a peasant. Or a cow for that matter.

7. - Top - End - #157

"We've got a bigger problem." Aderyn dips groundward and viciously slashes her spear tip through the neck of one of the 'dogs' lying about.

Spoiler
    Show
    All Out (strong) telegraphic tip slash to the neck
    Attack roll 18-5+4 = 17 (3d6)[5] EDIT: Not a critical success, as the +4 doesn't count for determining criticals.
    Damage roll 1d+3 cutting (1d6+3)[4]

It defends at +2, if it's capable of defending at all.

"These things don't seem to know they're supposed to lie still and rot when they're dead. We need to do something permanent about them before we have to fight them all over again."
    Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 2010-09-23 at 04:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson

The half-elf shrugs, glad for the change of, in his opinon pointless, topic. Burning the corpses seems to be the simplest option. Unless they can put themselves together from ashes and charred bones. And provided we can find enough fuel. He looks around the landscape.
    Last edited by Morty; 2010-09-24 at 07:31 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #159

NecromancerGuy

Malachi looks at the knight with a frown, "I can gaurantee that if you are referring to me healing both of you, simply so you can kill it each other, you can forget it. Uunkuy does not extend his blessings only for the ones he has blessed to kill each other. If you wish to wait for your arm to heal naturally then you'll simply have to stay here for the next couple of months. However, this dragon's wings will never fully heal on their own. Therefore I'm afraid you would never have true battle with this particular dragon."

The scout easily sticks her the tip of her spear into the dog below her. Whatever seems to be trying to reanimate it seems to subside for the time being.

As the half-elf looks around at the rolling country side, it is quite devoid of any burning material. He knows that the grove that they had just left probably has some dry debri laying around, but it could take awhile to gather enough to burn all of the rotting canines.

Eadalil struggles as she rises to her feet. The shear size of the dragon finally impresses itself on those near it. Its head rises just over that of the tall elf, and its serpentine body extends out over twice its actual height. Although it may not be as large as many of the legends have described it, it easy to see why some may have exagerrated their stories as they ran in fear of this fearsome creature. She looks over at the goblin priest responding to his words, "Fear not, kind priest. I have no intention of battling this impetuous human, unless he attacks me when I haven't given him any provocation. If you and your people could gather those horrible creatures into a pile, I should be able to do the rest. Unfortunately, I don't have the energy to incinerate them one at a time."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Enyenya

"Well, I was going to offer to burn them myself, but hey..." She shrugs her shoulders! "Although I'm useless when it comes to lifting things, so... Maybe I should spend the time making some healing potions just in case..."

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #161

Zombie

Alan

Talking almost as if to space or nothing, If it'll kindly give it's word that it'll not hurt any of the others travailing with me I'll see to helping them pile the other things up nearby. So that we can be sooner gone from this place. Once Alan hears Eadalil's reply, which I assume will be it's word, he'll go off to help with the dogs. He may only be one armed at the moment but he can still probably sling a carcass or two over his shoulder. And he will give a good whack or two with axe or sword before he slings one to help make sure it doesn't start moving while he hauls it around.

12. - Top - End - #162

NecromancerGuy

The dragon refuses to even acknowledge the knight at this point. Instead she looks at the winged elf and replies, "Can one of your group let me know when you are ready for my assistance? I need to check on my eggs and make sure there wasn't one of those abominations that was able to get past me." With that the dragon disappears down into the cave that barely fits its large girth.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

[Michalson]

Michalson will try to help in moving the bodies, but he's neither very strong nor has any spells that could help.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #164

"Certainly."

Aderyn unslings her pack and deposits it on the ground by the cave, and after watching to make sure the knight doesn't go after the dragon she flies off to secure the most distant remains. After giving them a couple good spear-jabs to keep them still first.

15. - Top - End - #165

BarbarianGuy

Charleis

Charleis has Freud assist in gathering the corpses, and peers into the dragon's cave. Uninterested is he in jewels and gold, but a ring of power, or some such, would be of extreme use to him.
    "Meeshka should be the blue dinosaur."
    Hurray for context!

16. - Top - End - #166

Zombie

Alan

Alan does what he sees as standing guard over the mouth of the cave. He'll stand a goodly ways back with an axe gripped loosely in his hand. Ready to raise and throw if it comes charging out or otherwise looking hostile. And he'll recommend that others not go into it's cave until it has given it's word that it'll not harm any of the others. After all, so far it's only guaranteed his safety.

17. - Top - End - #167

NecromancerGuy

As Charleis looks into the mouth of the cave, he sees that the opening opens into a tunnel that extends over a hundred yards at a steep slope down into the earth. At the far end of the tunnel he sees a dim glow where the tunnel seems to bend. The leprechaun notices that tunnel's entrance has a strange substance lining the walls of the tunnel. He's sure that he has seen it before, but can't seem to recall where.

The priest exhausted from healing, refrains from assisting with the bodies of the canines. He looks at Alan with a slightly confused look, then in a calm voice begins speaking, "I would think you would have more of a problem with the dead that don't stay dead than with a living 'dragon'. If your that worried about it, I'll guard the cave. If the 'dragon' attacks I'm probably the best equipped to deal with it at this point in time. I've been in many wars young knight, and I doubt a dragon as weak as this one currently is, will be of much concern. Her wounds are far more severe than you can probably imagine. It is only by the grace of Uunkuy that she is still alive. Go and help the others, I need to rest if I'm going to be able to heal your arm and her wings."

It seems to take the motley crew the better part of an hour to drag all of the bodies into one large pile. The elves are forced to work together to move the rotting corpses of the dogs. Freud seems to have no trouble carrying the creatures, and the knight even with only one arm is able to drag one of the canines by himself. The problem actually comes in keeping the stupid things from moving. It seems that every quarter of an hour spasms seem to go through the creatures. On one occasion, one of the canines had to be completely dismembered to keep it from moving.

As the day progresses the sun has finally reached its zenith. Clouds from the east seem to be slowly rolling in.

18. - Top - End - #168

NecromancerGuy

About an hour after the bodies have been gathered, the priest who looks well rested at this point approaches the young knight.

"Here let me see your arm. I think I can speed up the healing process. Just stand still, this is probably going to take all of my strength. May the light of Uunkuy shine on us this day."

Grabbing the young knight's arm, the priest begins praying. A bright light forms under the priest's hands as he prays, the light is then absorbed through the knight's armor and in to the knight. Alan can feel his bones beginning to stitch themselves together. His tolerance of pain is once again tested as his body begins the mending process, fortunately his will is still stronger even if his bones are not.

Exhausted, the priest seems to slump. He looks at Alan, and says, "I believe that should do it. Try not to use it too much for the next couple of days. You probably won't be able to use your shield until then, but you should be able to use it for menial tasks."

Malachi walks over to the entrance of the cave, slumps down on the ground. Leaning against the hill to the left of the opening, he looks over at the leprechaun still trying to make out what's down below. "Perhaps one of you should go tell Eadalil that you're done with the bodies, unless you're going to burn them yourselves."

Spoiler
    Show
    Restoration: (3d6)[13]
    Last edited by Lord Vampyre; 2010-09-29 at 01:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson

The half-elf nods. I'll handle it. It'll be a good opportunity to talk to the dragon some more without other party members chiming in.

20. - Top - End - #170

NecromancerGuy

Michalson walks down the fairly circular passage. The walls of the tunnel are smooth, with traces of an unusual ore. The journey seems to go fairly deep into the earth, with the passage winding every so often. After about 15 minutes he finally reaches a large chamber that is roughly 100 yards in diameter. The ceiling of the cave is about 30 feet.

A strange feeling comes over the young half-elf as he enters the chamber. It feels like the air suddenly got lighter. He realizes that the taint doesn't extend down to this chamber.

As he looks around he can see that the light is coming from a large crystal in the center of the cave. Looking around he notices a few other passages connecting into this chamber.

The dragon seems to be curled around 2 - 3 foot tall oblong objects. He realizes that these are probably the dragons eggs. The first egg is a silvery blue. The second egg is a dark red.

Walking further into the chamber, he sees what is probably the dragons hoard. It's not much, but the interesting thing is that there seems to be approximately 9 skeletal remains sitting at the far side of the dragons hoard. The bodies are in various types of armor, each wearing a ring or necklace. There isn't much in the way of coins. There does seem to be a small pile of gold and silver, but not what one would expect of a dragon's hoard.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson

The wizard bows curtly, glancing around curiously. Not many people can claim to have seen the inside of a dragon's lair, after all. Not many living people, anyway. He also noticed the air feeling lighter. We've gathered the bodies and we're waiting for you to burn them. I have to say, however... it feels like this cave isn't touched by the same blight that afflicts the land. Is it really the case?

22. - Top - End - #172

Zombie

Alan

With a small bow addressing Malachi, Thank you Malachi. It feels much better. I'll keep in mind to use it lightly for the next few days.

Towards everyone near enough to hear, So how long should we give Michalson to come out before we go in after him to make sure he's alright?

23. - Top - End - #173

NecromancerGuy

The dragon uncurling from around her eggs, opens her eyes and looks over at the half-elf. Considering the amount of respect the half-elf has shown, she replies, "Why yes, it is true. I've lined the walls of my lair with an ore from a meteorite I'd found. The ore is highly resistant to magic, and seems to be able to filter the taint out of this area. There are 2 things that are still difficult to fix. The first is finding food and water that isn't already tainted. The second is that magic is still difficult in this area, although I suppose your priest may find it easier here than outside. But it will protect my young ones from being corrupted before they are able to hatch.

Now, if you'll lead the way, I would be happy to dispose of these creatures, before they are able to cause me any more grief."
    Last edited by Lord Vampyre; 2010-10-05 at 03:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson

Very well. Michalson leads the dragon to the pile of bodies.

25. - Top - End - #175

NecromancerGuy

The dragon following the half-elf up the long tunnel, with a small amount of disdain comments in a loud whisper, "You and your little friend must be powerful wizards. I hope you realize that dragons don't usually take too kindly to those who wear the dragon fang amulet. Don't worry, my little friend, if you and your friends hadn't saved my life, I wouldn't be here to be able to dislike your wearing of the dragon fang."

After reaching the end of the tunnel, the dragon looks around at the group. "You will need to stand back. I don't want to singe any of you."

As everyone clears away from the pile of canines, the dragon breathes a large gout of fire. The flames take hold of the bodies lying there, giving off the horrible stench of burning rotting meat.

26. - Top - End - #176

NecromancerGuy

As the flames from the bonfire begin to die, the dragon looks around at the group surrounding her. "You are more than welcome to take part of my hoard down below, if you would like. It is mostly made up of the equipment of previous invaders, who sought to end my existence. I set them up as a reminder of the dangers that I need to be wary of."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson

Michalson strokes his chin. He's very, very relieved the dragon didn't press the issue of his amulet. Damn it - he should have realized it was a dragon's tooth before trying to talk to a dragon. Yes, I think we might find something that'll be useful in our journey... we're bound to have more encounters like this one.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Enyenya hmms a little bit, glancing at Michalson for a moment. She then grins at the dragon. "We'd love to take a look at your horde, ma'am. I doubt there'll be anything I can use, unless you have some rare plants or herbs or anything like that...?"

29. - Top - End - #179

Zombie

Alan

Looking at Eadalil's Fireier breath he'll try to decide if he thinks his shiled could block it.

After hearing her speak he'll consider for a moment and say, If it was blown of course and dug this new lair to birth it's young then how likely is it that people would come to try and slay it unless it was haressing local people? Or did it carry it's hoard in addition to it's eggs? Michalson did you happen to notice any sort of pack it could of used to carry it's posessions?
    Last edited by Phunbaba; 2010-10-09 at 08:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Enyenya rolls her eyes. "Or maybe all the 'heroes' who've been harassing her are just racist bigots like you."