New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail IC] Academy City

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Masaki

"Ugh, really, Masaki. Don't stare at people like that. It's creepy. Talk about something else. Like yourself.

...well, maybe not, but the point is, don't be quiet and don't stare. Seriously, your eyes are intimidating."

"...indeed."

Uh...

"*Ahem* Ah, yes. Glad to have you aboard, Mrs. Williams. I can't say that AIM Fields are true expertise--that would be robotics--but I do know a bit about the phenomenon, yes."
    "Great. Anything would be helpful."
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #752
    Dwarf in the Playground

Being pleased by seeing Jane's amazement, Cale turned around so that he was facing forward again. He beckoned for the two ground-walkers to follow, and said.

"<Come, the view's pretty good up there.>"

Cale started walking up, slowly, so as not to discourage anyone by getting them scared.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Jane looked how Cale was just... hanging in the air. She closely walked closer and realized that she wasn't sure if she was afraid of heights or not. <"I... am not sure if I'd dare to go really high."> She gave Jirou a panicked look.
    Jirou paused, having already started to walk forward. After some thought he gave Jane a pragmatic shrug.

"[Then don't. It's not like either of us actually needs to go up there. Still...]"

So saying he continued his stride towards the staircase. Upon reaching the first step he unhesitatingly rose onto it, then turned back towards Jane.

"[...Isn't something like this worth the risk?]"

"Answer: Probably not. But there's no way I'm gonna show that smug snake how scared I really am."

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Jirou paused, having already started to walk forward. After some thought he gave Jane a pragmatic shrug.

"[Then don't. It's not like either of us actually needs to go up there. Still...]"

So saying he continued his stride towards the staircase. Upon reaching the first step he unhesitatingly rose onto it, then turned back towards Jane.

"[...Isn't something like this worth the risk?]"

"Answer: Probably not. But there's no way I'm gonna show that smug snake how scared I really am."
    <"I... guess."> Seriously didn't Jirou have any regards for the feelings of other people? Not that she could do anything about it.

Carefully Jane stepped up onto the first step, testing it out with her foot. It wasn't until she was completely sure it would carry her weight that she stepped on it. There was a vague... something holding her up, but mostly it looked like she was floating in the air. To be sure Jane gave the staircase a good stomp with her foot and jumped on it a couple of times. If it would give in then she wouldn't fall more then a couple of inches. This seemed to give her a bit more confidence. <"Alright, how high does this thing go?">
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

5. - Top - End - #755
    Dwarf in the Playground

<"I... guess."> Seriously didn't Jirou have any regards for the feelings of other people? Not that she could do anything about it.

Carefully Jane stepped up onto the first step, testing it out with her foot. It wasn't until she was completely sure it would carry her weight that she stepped on it. There was a vague... something holding her up, but mostly it looked like she was floating in the air. To be sure Jane gave the staircase a good stomp with her foot and jumped on it a couple of times. If it would give in then she wouldn't fall more then a couple of inches. This seemed to give her a bit more confidence. <"Alright, how high does this thing go?">

"<How high I can make this thing? good question, I'm not quite sure. The researchers told me that I should stay below the blimps, and away from the Airport, so I don't really know, The difference in air density up there should also have some effect.>"
    Cale explained about this particular skill of his, while walking onwards.
    "<Don't worry about falling of, I can catch you from up here>" He followed up with a smile on his face.

While most wouldn't notice, creating stair big and though enough to support three people took quite a bit of gas, And even though Cale was using Nitrogen, Air-manipulating users around the city might feel a sudden small drop in air pressure, seeing as it was all being gathered under Cale, Jane and Jirou's feet.
    Last edited by Rhydeble; 2011-01-10 at 03:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

Jirou paused on the first step along with Jane. For once he was seemingly being polite and waiting for her to gain some confidence before rushing ahead. All right, so that wasn't actually what was happening, but at least the illusion was there. In reality he was just waiting to see if the staircase really would break under the pressure of Jane's stress test. It was a good job that she was more open about her fear than him, because without that test the climb would have been even more nerve-wracking.

It was pretty shameful how scary the thought of this whole trip into the sky was; Normally he had no problem with looking down from even the highest skyscrapers. Of course, as a rule those skyscrapers didn't have transparent floors and a complete lack of physical support holding them up. Nor were they usually under the direct control of someone who hated him, who at any time could just cause the whole thing to vanish under his feet. Ah well, no turning back now; His pride was at stake. Pausing only to give Jane a vaguely encouraging look and Cale a confident smirk, Jirou began his ascent.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2011-01-10 at 07:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsubasa blinks. "Um... okay."

She follows Hinata, but doesn't take his hand. She still half-suspects body contact has to do with some Esper ability of his.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #758

Jane quietly followed Jirou and Cale, trying hard not to look down... which was pretty much impossible because everything around her was air and the higher she went, the more nothing there was around her! She hadn't even noticed there were sidebars to lean against. Her hands were just below her face and tightly pressed against her body while with each step she made sure that her foot would land on something 'solid'. It took a lot of effort not to start panicking.

With a deep breath Jane tried to look around and see if there was anything suspicious. The view would probably have pleased her if she hadn't been worried about the standing on air thing.

"Don't panic don't panic don't panic don't panic don't panic."

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Then, as the stranger affects Tsubasa's emotions... something changes in her bearing. "...I do not believe a coffee would be necessary. For some reason, I must have believed I was in a combat situation. I am not sure what the reason was, but the growing feelings of rage immediately preceding may have been responsible.

It is odd. I was surprised, embarrassed, but not enough to grow enraged."

Oh, that's it! She isn't displaying any emotion.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Jason

Meanwhile, at the arcade, a large crowd was gathered around one of the newest and most complicated video game system. There was alot of whispering going on.

-"I've never seen this level before!"

-"No one has seen this level before. The game is the hardest one in here!"

-"I believe he is still on his first quarter. He hasn't gotten a game over once!"

In the center of the crowd is Jason, masterfully using the controls with little effort. The figure neatly dodged one of the boss's attacks, only to deal a hard hitting blow back. The boss's health bar just dropped below Jason's. THe smile playing at his lips only grows at this success.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Tsubasa blinks. "Um... okay."

She follows Hinata, but doesn't take his hand. She still half-suspects body contact has to do with some Esper ability of his.
    Then, as the stranger affects Tsubasa's emotions... something changes in her bearing. "...I do not believe a coffee would be necessary. For some reason, I must have believed I was in a combat situation. I am not sure what the reason was, but the growing feelings of rage immediately preceding may have been responsible.

Hinata is visibly disappointed when Tsubasa opts to not take his hands and stumble up on her own. "Led me lead the way th..."

The young man blinks when life suddenly flees her eyes and her face becomes blank, almost doll-like. He takes a step back as he listens to her monotonous outburst. "Are you... sure?", he asks, watching the girl nervously. She's speaking as if she's utterly detached from the immediate situation, observing it from outside her own body like it is some mildly interesting play. "You sound... pretty tense. Are you sure you are allright? Maybe that coffee would do you good after all..."

Hinata gives a quick look at Katsu, seeing that he's still skating around. "Is this normal for her?"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

"When I enter a combat or other highly stressful situation, I shift in personality, locking my emotions away.

The change is almost instant. Returning to normal emotional capacity, however, takes approximately half an hour from when the situation ceases. It does not otherwise affect my well-being, physically or mentally, so there is no need to worry. The events leading to the switch in this case are more urgent."

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uh huh, honey... there's most definitely reason to worry. Going outside your own self like that is not healthy...", Hinata mutters, giving Tsubasa a pained glance. "Let's just head for the cafe, shall we?"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

"Very well."

...actually, if Tsubasa wasn't in this state, she'd be agreeing with him.

Or given what caused it, trying to bash his skull in.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the trio came higher up, Cale started look around, seeing the place where he fought his robot, and the direction it probably came from.

"<So Jirou, where was your robot hanging out when you fought it?>"

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

On Cale's request, Jirou began to search for the site of his earlier battle. His expression while doing so was almost insultingly casual, as if he walked in the sky every other day.

"Okay, just gimme a second to get my bearings. I'll find it in no time once I pick out a few landmarks."

Unsurprisingly, Jirou was too wrapped up in his own affairs to even glance at the beleaguered girl who walked behind him. Even so, Jane might have gained a bit of extra comfort from him if her powers had been active as she climbed. If they were, she'd have heard a nice counterpoint to her own mental mantra.

"...It's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay..."

Perhaps it would have given her some solace to know that she wasn't alone in her fear. For his part, Jirou was devoting a staggering amount of effort into keeping any of that fear from leaking onto his features. He gazed across the ever-shrinking city below with a carefully crafted expression of casual interest. His footfalls were firm and measured, kept in rhythm by his own heartbeat (which by now was starting to sound like a bass drum to his ears).

Eventually (and to his silent relief) Jirou's eyes fell on the target of his search. With a dramatic gesture he pointed downwards, while at the same time taking the opportunity to stop actually looking in that direction.

"There! That's the spot right there! I'd recognise that dirty little backstreet anywhere now. So that's where it was, huh? Hard to believe that something like that was lurking so close to Tokiwadai all this time."

17. - Top - End - #767

On Cale's request, Jirou began to search for the site of his earlier battle. His expression while doing so was almost insultingly casual, as if he walked in the sky every other day.

"Okay, just gimme a second to get my bearings. I'll find it in no time once I pick out a few landmarks."

Unsurprisingly, Jirou was too wrapped up in his own affairs to even glance at the beleaguered girl who walked behind him. Even so, Jane might have gained a bit of extra comfort from him if her powers had been active as she climbed. If they were, she'd have heard a nice counterpoint to her own mental mantra.

"...It's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay..."

Perhaps it would have given her some solace to know that she wasn't alone in her fear.
    Sadly Jane was still very much reluctant to use her powers at all, except for the soft buzz that was always in the back of her head. So at the moment she was completely in her own little world of fear.

"There! That's the spot right there! I'd recognise that dirty little backstreet anywhere now. So that's where it was, huh? Hard to believe that something like that was lurking so close to Tokiwadai all this time."
    Jirou's voice snapped Jane out of her thoughts and automatically looked at where he was pointing. While struggling to keep her blood flowing to her head so she wouldn't faint while standing above the city. Jirou was right, it was very close to school. Funny coincidence that he was that close by, she might have seen him on the street without noticing while going home.

<"It's too bad that we don't know where there were other robot attacks. But based on these two encounters one might assume that the person responsible would have to be close by during the attacks. Unless they were remote controlled.">

Something was bugging Jane however. Besides the fact that she was so far away from the ground she started to worry about altitude sickness. Then it suddenly hit her. Inside her head it was almost completely silent. The background noise had stooped to an all time low, the only level beneath that would be only her voice in her head. <"Hey! They background noise is gone!"> Jane said happily to Cale. <"Well except for you two of course."> But this small bout of happiness suddenly made her realize how high they must be for her to not be able to pick up the usual static noise.

18. - Top - End - #768

"Yeah, if you ever want to have your stomach pumped."

These words came from a surly teenage girl who was standing in the doorway. Though she was hanging around the cafe, her pale complexion and rake-like figure made it clear that she wasn't there for the food. Nor was she there to add colour to the scene, dressed as she was in a plain black t-shirt and jeans, along with a long black leather coat.

"Hey, don't tell me that you're Avery Tychus? What a letdown. Oh well, might as well go through with it anyway. When you've finished throwing up that pastry, come see me outside. I want to talk to you about something."

With that she turned on her heel and went to sit on a bench near the cafe. Still, rude as the girl had been, she might have had a point about the food; If Avery attempted to eat the seemingly appetising pastry, she'd find it actually tasted terrible. So terrible, in fact, that she'd likely be unable to even swallow a single bite. What a pity.
    Giving her a nonchalant expression, Avery responded...
    "Hello to you too."

After she left, Avery looked at the baguette more carefully. Outside of the baker's view, she knocked on it gently to get a feel for the texture (definitely tougher than simply crispy) and took another whiff of it (it did still smell like garlic). She decided to hold onto it for now.

Leaving the bakery and sitting next to the girl, Avery asked...
    "So whaddya need from her that you know a person called Avery Tychus?
    "
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sadly Jane was still very much reluctant to use her powers at all, except for the soft buzz that was always in the back of her head. So at the moment she was completely in her own little world of fear.

Jirou's voice snapped Jane out of her thoughts and automatically looked at where he was pointing. While struggling to keep her blood flowing to her head so she wouldn't faint while standing above the city. Jirou was right, it was very close to school. Funny coincidence that he was that close by, she might have seen him on the street without noticing while going home.

<"It's too bad that we don't know where there were other robot attacks. But based on these two encounters one might assume that the person responsible would have to be close by during the attacks. Unless they were remote controlled.">

Something was bugging Jane however. Besides the fact that she was so far away from the ground she started to worry about altitude sickness. Then it suddenly hit her. Inside her head it was almost completely silent. The background noise had stooped to an all time low, the only level beneath that would be only her voice in her head. <"Hey! They background noise is gone!"> Jane said happily to Cale. <"Well except for you two of course."> But this small bout of happiness suddenly made her realize how high they must be for her to not be able to pick up the usual static noise.
    Cale had been worried for a while, seeing as Jane was getting a little scared. The revelation that she couldn't read anyone else up here seemed to be comforting to her though, she Cale thought it was alright.

<"Jirou, at what time exactly did you get attacked? If it was the same time as our robot, our locations were probably around the same distance away from the attackers source.">

Cale asked Jirou, and while waiting for an answer, Cale already started looking around for a possible place for the robots to come from. It would probably be a place with some different alleyways around it, seeing as the fights probably started the moment the robot first met an Esper,

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail IC] Academy City

[Winter Wonderland]

An observant reader would have noted that Katsu is way too fast even without his powers to not reply before Tsubasa.

That readers obviously need to pay more attention to the small snow-tower that has been build next to the lovebirds and the speedster taking in the scenery fro the top.

"Bye, TsuHina! I'll keep looking for someone who know about that emotion thing!"

He waves at the two as they leave, already having made a portmanteau couple name for them.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    <"Jirou, at what time exactly did you get attacked? If it was the same time as our robot, our locations were probably around the same distance away from the attackers source.">[/COLOR]
    "Can't tell you exactly; Clocks weren't the first thing on my mind at the time. I dunno, it was about half an hour after Onizuka let out for the day. But if all you want to know is whether they both started at once, then I happen to know that they did."

This matter settled, Jirou glanced back at Jane for the first time in a while. Apparently she'd said something to offend him, because he sent a chastising look her way.

"Oh, and for the record? I've never been part of the 'background noise' in my whole life. Kiyoshi Jirou is always in the...(What's the word...Frontground? Yeah, that sounds about right)...Frontground of any scene!"

Some distance away, the stranger paused in his wanderings. He gazed up into the sky for a moment, a slight crease marking his formerly smooth face.

"...Huh."

And then he was moving again. A minute later he was just another face in the crowd, wandering through it more or less at random. It would be a while before he chose to emerge again.

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    Giving her a nonchalant expression, Avery responded...
    "Hello to you too."

After she left, Avery looked at the baguette more carefully. Outside of the baker's view, she knocked on it gently to get a feel for the texture (definitely tougher than simply crispy) and took another whiff of it (it did still smell like garlic). She decided to hold onto it for now.

Leaving the bakery and sitting next to the girl, Avery asked...
    "So whaddya need from her that you know a person called Avery Tychus?
    "
    The girl gave Avery an appraising look before responding. She didn't seem particularly impressed with what she saw, but she wasn't exactly unfriendly either. Her attitude was best described as 'apathetic'.

"Me? Not a thing. It's my friends who are crazy about you. They've got this idea in their heads that you're exactly what we need, just because you happen to fit some stupid-Wait, I'm lapping myself here. Let me start from the beginning; It's a lot less stupid than the end."

She took a long drag from a cigarette which had appeared in her hand at some point. The fit of hurried coughing which followed prevented her from speaking for a while.

"No wait, I've got an even better idea; Let me ask you a question or two to make sure I'm not wasting my time. First question: What do you think of this city? Not the architecture, just the way it works. Do you like the way that things work around here?"

22. - Top - End - #772

The girl gave Avery an appraising look before responding. She didn't seem particularly impressed with what she saw, but she wasn't exactly unfriendly either. Her attitude was best described as 'apathetic'.

"Me? Not a thing. It's my friends who are crazy about you. They've got this idea in their heads that you're exactly what we need, just because you happen to fit some stupid-Wait, I'm lapping myself here. Let me start from the beginning; It's a lot less stupid than the end."

She took a long drag from a cigarette which had appeared in her hand at some point. The fit of hurried coughing which followed prevented her from speaking for a while.

"No wait, I've got an even better idea; Let me ask you a question or two to make sure I'm not wasting my time. First question: What do you think of this city? Not the architecture, just the way it works. Do you like the way that things work around here?"
    Avery took a moment to ponder the question. How does the city work? Well...
    "It works in the way that it hasn't toppled onto itself yet with all the superhumans running around. That's sorta an achievement for this city. There's the Anti-Skill faction running around, but I guess we've got forces for that. I guess it works in the way that a clock with a cracked screen works, if that's what ya mean."
    In real life that is.

23. - Top - End - #773

"Can't tell you exactly; Clocks weren't the first thing on my mind at the time. I dunno, it was about half an hour after Onizuka let out for the day. But if all you want to know is whether they both started at once, then I happen to know that they did."

This matter settled, Jirou glanced back at Jane for the first time in a while. Apparently she'd said something to offend him, because he sent a chastising look her way.

"Oh, and for the record? I've never been part of the 'background noise' in my whole life. Kiyoshi Jirou is always in the...(What's the word...Frontground? Yeah, that sounds about right)...Frontground of any scene!"
    Jane gave an angry look in return. Feeling like Jirou had stepped on her toes. <"For your information I wasn't talking about you specifically. I was talking about the voices in my head."> She looked away from him. <"I'm a telepath, which means that I'll constantly pick up the thoughts of others and for the first time in years I'm barely picking up background noise from the people around me. Excuse me for being happy that I've got some peace and quiet inside my head."> Wait did she just stand up for herself?

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    Avery took a moment to ponder the question. How does the city work? Well...
    "It works in the way that it hasn't toppled onto itself yet with all the superhumans running around. That's sorta an achievement for this city. There's the Anti-Skill faction running around, but I guess we've got forces for that. I guess it works in the way that a clock with a cracked screen works, if that's what ya mean."
    The girl let out a deep sigh. In the wake of Avery's answer, her apathetic attitude had gradually slid into full-blown depression. She clearly didn't have much confidence in the way this conversation was going.

"Yes, that's what I mean...And that's good enough, is it? You're content to let things stand as they are? To just shrug your shoulders and say 'Not my problem'? It wouldn't be surprising; That's how most people in this place think."

She fixed her eyes upon Avery, but there was already a trace of resignation in them. She had the air of someone who had asked these questions many times, always receiving the same answer.

Jane gave an angry look in return. Feeling like Jirou had stepped on her toes. <"For your information I wasn't talking about you specifically. I was talking about the voices in my head."> She looked away from him. <"I'm a telepath, which means that I'll constantly pick up the thoughts of others and for the first time in years I'm barely picking up background noise from the people around me. Excuse me for being happy that I've got some peace and quiet inside my head."> Wait did she just stand up for herself?
    For the entirety of this trip into the clouds, Jirou had managed to keep his cool. Despite all the provocations, he'd succeeded in maintaining a calm, confident facade. Until now. Because when Jane spat out the revelation about her powers, that facade shattered in an instant. And behind it...Yes, there was the fear.

He took a step backwards without even realising it. The expression with which he regarded Jane now would probably be all too familiar to a Gemstone like her. This wasn't the simple concern he'd shown when Cale had seemingly displayed Telekinetic powers; It was something far more primal.

Belatedly realising how he must look right now, Jirou collected himself with an effort. He attempted a casual smile, but it had a distinctly sickly feeling to it.

"Y-You're a telepath? Really? Well, that's good. Very good. Anyway, I think it's about time we headed back to the ground. We've got we came up for, right? No point staying longer than we have to."

25. - Top - End - #775

For the entirety of this trip into the clouds, Jirou had managed to keep his cool. Despite all the provocations, he'd succeeded in maintaining a calm, confident facade. Until now. Because when Jane spat out the revelation about her powers, that facade shattered in an instant. And behind it...Yes, there was the fear.

He took a step backwards without even realising it. The expression with which he regarded Jane now would probably be all too familiar to a Gemstone like her. This wasn't the simple concern he'd shown when Cale had seemingly displayed Telekinetic powers; It was something far more primal.

Belatedly realising how he must look right now, Jirou collected himself with an effort. He attempted a casual smile, but it had a distinctly sickly feeling to it.

"Y-You're a telepath? Really? Well, that's good. Very good. Anyway, I think it's about time we headed back to the ground. We've got we came up for, right? No point staying longer than we have to."
    Jane folded her arms, looking unmistakably angry. There it was. That face. She knew that face so well. She had seen it before, her parents had it when they realized she could hear what they were thinking. When classmates knew that she could hear their every thought. It was the face that people had when they had thought things they didn't want others to know. Or at least things they didn't want her to know. Though for those people it already had been too late, Jane had heard their thoughts and what they thought of her, or others. After that nobody treated her the same. She hadn't read Jirou's thoughts however, but his face spoke volumes. He was afraid of her. He probably feared his act was broken or something, at least that's what her experience told her.

At the moment Jane wasn't sure what was making her angry. The fact that Jirou came across as one of the many people she had to deal with in the past, time and time again, or that he might actually think she'd just pry into his head like that.

<"Oh don't wet yourself."> She said in a harsh voice that seemed unnatural to her. <"I'm not the type of person that will just sneak into your head and read your thoughts and memories. I've got standards. But your face speaks volumes though."> She sighed. There would be a day where she'd lose her faith in people and just live as a hermit. <"Cale are we done here?">
    Last edited by Lillith; 2011-01-15 at 02:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

For his part, Jirou did look somewhat contrite. Very scared, but contrite.

"Sorry."

He did actually feel quite bad about the way he'd reacted to the news. Jane had been good company up until now, and hadn't really done anything to deserve such instant mistrust. However, all extenuating circumstances aside, it didn't change the basic fact that she was still a Telepath. That wasn't the sort of revelation that could just be shrugged off. It was like learning that someone had an armed grenade clutched in their hand; No matter how nice they seemed or how often they said that it was just for show, people would never forget it was there.

"Okay, don't panic. Remember, she's just a normal, ordinary teenager. That's right, just an everyday schoolgirl. From Tokiwadai.

Which means she's at least Level 3.

Don't panic...
    "

27. - Top - End - #777

You didn't have to be a telepath to understand that Jirou probably was in distress right now. Or at least you'd have to had experience with the kind of expressions Jane had witnessed on most people when she told them she could read minds. And what she understood from her past, the more the person had to hide, the more fear they'd display. It made her wonder what Jirou had to hide, but then again she had seen worse. Her father for instance had a near breakdown when he knew she had figured him out. A few months later she was in a plane heading towards Japan... It was only then she realized that Cale was one of the few people who hadn't started to panic. How about that.

Jane noticed she had been staring in the distance the whole time without even so much as having anxiety problems due to the height. Her eyes had been following a blue truck that was driving through the streets the whole time. They were very high in the air... a bit too high to her taste...

<"Look Jirou I can probably say what I like and I doubt it will make you relax. I'll just tell you this: I'm not a power abuser. I don't go around poking into peoples heads whenever I feel like it. Take that as you wish."> She sighed again. <"If you two gentlemen don't mind, I'll be heading downstairs cause the height is tying knots in my stomach.">
    Last edited by Lillith; 2011-01-15 at 04:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778

The girl let out a deep sigh. In the wake of Avery's answer, her apathetic attitude had gradually slid into full-blown depression. She clearly didn't have much confidence in the way this conversation was going.

"Yes, that's what I mean...And that's good enough, is it? You're content to let things stand as they are? To just shrug your shoulders and say 'Not my problem'? It wouldn't be surprising; That's how most people in this place think."

She fixed her eyes upon Avery, but there was already a trace of resignation in them. She had the air of someone who had asked these questions many times, always receiving the same answer.
    "Never said I really liked the situation. I just stated that-Actually, hold on..."

Giving the girl a suspicious glance, Avery asked...
    "So... Provide me some exposition. Why is it that you're asking a person such as me these questions?"

In her mind, Avery already had a few probable scenarios about what this situation is really about, as well as a few improbable ones. Still, she proceeded to give her a questioning look.
    In real life that is.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cale had been looking at Jirou and Jane's little argument with interest. He understood that people were afraid of losing their secrets to the truth all too well, although he didn't really care himself.

<"Well, I think we're done up here,> are you ready to go Jirou?"

While Jane was trying to find the staircase back down, Cale walked up to her untill he was standing right next to her. he checked the direction of the wind, turned there, and spoke softly
    "I hope you like slides."

30. - Top - End - #780

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    While Jane was trying to find the staircase back down, Cale walked up to her untill he was standing right next to her. he checked the direction of the wind, turned there, and spoke softly
    "I hope you like slides."
    Jane looked at Cale. She got an uncomfortable in her stomach, was he thinking what she thought he was thinking? <"Uh... sure?"> Already dreading what was going to happen next. She still managed to get out a <"Why?"> But figured she already knew the answer.
    Last edited by Lillith; 2011-01-16 at 09:13 AM.