New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Fallcrest - IC - Part 2 [4E]

Eltain looks nervously at the river, knowing himself to be neither a great horseman nor particularly strong. He decides to trust in his horse for the moment, not trusting his own skill. He changes his armor to a set of normal clothing so the weight of his armor won't hamper the horse or him and tries to cross, using the rope to try to help keep the horse on track.

Spoiler
    Show

Nature: (1d20+4)[23]
    Athletics for the horse: (1d20+4)[8]
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

((I assume we're still crossing at twilight rather than waiting for morning. Time is of the essence after all.))

Zyrr

Zyrr'delin smirks as he hands his rope over to the Shepherd, interested in what the goliath has in mind and looking forward to what could be a hilarious failure. Then the mountain man clears the river effortlessly, and the drow is utterly dumbstruck. He humbly takes his horse's reins and wades into the river, holding onto the rope for dear life.

Athletics - (1d20+5)[22]
    Endurance - (1d20+6)[20]
    Last edited by Toric; 2010-08-27 at 03:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Aramil and Zyrr are able to force their way through the river without difficulty, and emurge on the far bank leading their horses. Eltain, on the other hand, does not fair as well. While he guides the horse true, the animal loses it's footing on some slick rocks, and stumbles, the current quickly threatening to wash both the animal (and Eltain) downstream.

OOC: Acrobatics check for Eltain to grab onto the rope, DC 13. Athletics check to keep the horse from getting washed away away (you can use your modifier) DC 18. If both are successful,)than you can re-try the origional nature/athletics check to continue fording. If only the Acrobatics check is successful, you lose the horse, and it will need to make it's own athlectics check to try and swim or get washed away. If you miss the acrobatics, and make the Athletics check, you can re-make the initial check, but the DCs increase by 1, and you don't get the benefit of Shep's rope.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-08-27 at 04:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain grabs the rope easily as the horse loses its footing and goes under. He grabs frantically for the horse to try to help it, but the darkness and his own weakness work against him and he can only watch helplessly as the horse, caught up in the current, is unable to regain its footing and gets washed away. He tries to finish swimming across but while he easily holds up to the cold water, he's too weak and too upset at the horse's misfortune to make it.

Spoiler
    Show

Let's see if I can actually finish crossing.
    Athletics: (1d20+2)[12]
    Endurance: (1d20+5)[24]
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-08-27 at 04:37 PM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Eltain's horse whinnies as it's washed downstream, almost as if it's blaming the half-eladrin for it's fate. Eltain attempts to move along the rope, but the current appears too strong, and the half-elf stuggles to make progress. However, the paladin is able to push away the cold and the fatigue, and try again.

OOC: Try the Athletics/Endruance checks again, DC 18. Since you did so well on the Endurance check last time, no penalty from the previous failure. The nighttime is cancelled out by the rope bonus.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick eyes the river nervously for a few moments. "Maybe this route wasn't such a good idea," he thinks. "There is no way my little gnome legs will touch the bottom of that." As Eltain begins getting carried away by the current, Pavick watches with a horrified expression on his face, but finally resolves to try his luck anyway.

"Well, Mr. Horse. I doubt you're as agile as the Shepherd, so no jumping straight over for us. What do you say, you walk across and I'll hold on for dear life, eh?" He spurs the horse slowly forward.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming the -2 for night and +2 for rope cancel out, so here are a couple of unmodified rolls.
    Nature for Pavick - (1d20+10)[30]
    Athletics for Mr. Horse - (1d20+4)[14]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain struggles against the current but is unable to make any headway. He mentally whispers a prayer to Corellon, praying that somehow he'll survive this. He adds a prayer for the horse as well.

Athletics: (1d20+2)[3]
    Endurance: (1d20+5)[23]
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-08-27 at 06:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The current proves to be too strong for the Half-Eladrin, and he is torn away from the rope. He is able to keep his head above water, however, and the chill water and floating debris that would ebb the strength and wits of lesser creatures seems inert against the paladin.

OOC: Eltain, I strongly recommend calling for help. You can also continue trying to swim to the landing spot where others are (Athletics DC 19) or you can try and go along with the current and make landfall where you can a bit further downstream (DC 13)
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-01-17 at 01:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil leaps into action, diving back into the water to try to help Eltain.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics - (1d20+8)[12] (10, -2 for the night)
    Endurance - (1d20+8)[20] (ditto)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Aramil dives into the water, and begins swimming after the Half-Eladrin, but doesn't quite reach Eltain.

OOC: Athletics Check, DC 15 to get to Eltain, DC 19 to bring both of you back. Eltain can try and aid with a DC 10.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

After getting a fairly bad start, Aramil gets his bearings and darts after Eltain. Catching up to him, Aramil tries to help Eltain get back to shore.
    Catch-up roll: 25 (see OOC)
    Athletics - (1d20+8)[23]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

With a heave, Aramil and Eltain arrive on the bank, 50 yards downstream of the others. The bank down here is significantly muddier than further up, but without too much difficulty, you can trek back upstream to meet the rest of the party.

OOC: Rolling for DSCranckshaw, since he'll be out for a few days

Lucan, waiting until the others have cleared, prepares to cross as well, trusting in his ways with animals and the horses' strength rather than his own.

Spoiler
    Show

Nature: (1d20+11)[30]
    Athletics: (1d20+4)[11] +5 from exceding the nature check.

The horse struggles a bit, but the half-elf's way with horses guides it safely to the other side.

All of the party is now on the south side of the bank, with Shep's horse staring after everyone all alone on the north side.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-08-27 at 06:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Shepherd drapes his warm cloak over the waterlogged and muddied Eltain, and pats the half-eladrin warmly on the shoulder. He holds up a finger to his companions to wait before attempting to step lightly across the rope over the river.

Spoiler
    Show

Acrobatics: (1d20+11)[15] (-2 for nighttime already factored in)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Shep makes it nearly halfway across, before the rope begins swaying too much to continue.

OOC: One more Acrobatics check to get the rest of the way across, DC 15. After that, the normal checks to cross the river

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain murmurs a quiet thanks to Aramil between bouts of coughing up the water in his lungs and sits apart from the group, staring at the ground. His sodden hair and clothing give him the appearance of a drowned rat, and the pathetic look of failure on his face brings home a reminder that for all his attempts at maturity, he's still very young, barely more than a child. Indeed, he looks like he's about to cry and complain that he wants his mother.

16. - Top - End - #76

Though the going is tough by the middle of the rope, the Shepherd quickens his pace and lopes over to the other side of the bank. As he takes the reigns of the horse, he watches the movement of the water and pats the horse on the nose. Perhaps the idea in his head was foolish, but sometimes the least obvious answer is quite successful.

Spoiler
    Show

Leap of faith time!
    Nature: (1d20+6)[9]
    Horse's Athletics: (1d20+6)[9]
    Acrobatics: (1d20+11)[24]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The horse, seeing what Shep is about to try, walks forward as if it were going to follow the goliath across the river, but at the last minute opens it's mouth so the bit flies out, and leans forward in such a way that Shep's momentum actually pulls the entire bridle off its head.

Shep, amazed at how easily to horse is following him, lands back on the side of the bank with the other party members, only to find an empty set of reins in his hand. The unbridled horse stares at him from the far side of the river bank.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick quickly rides his horse closer to where Eltain and Aramil have finally crossed. He immediately begins playing the motherly role that Eltain seems to so desperately need. "Oh Eltain! I'm so glad you made it. I saw you go under and I didn't think there was anything anybody could do. But it's okay. Everything is okay now, thanks to Aramil," he coos. With a gentle flick of his wrist, a prestidigitation spell begins to carefully scrub away the river mud in the arcane equivalent of a spit bath.

19. - Top - End - #79

The Shepherd stares at the horse across the bank for a while, then stares at the reigns in his hands. Then back to the horse. He looks at his companions, then back to the reigns, and then again, back to the horse. Opening his mouth to speak, it hangs there a moment, two moments, before he closes it again.

The Shepherd purses his lips.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain looks at Pavick as if the man were insane and quickly runs off as far away as he can get while still having the group in sight. He actually is crying now.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

OOC: Eltain, make a perception check.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Perception: (1d20+4)[7]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick shrugs his shoulders and turns his attentions to Aramil. "Don't know what that's all about," he says cocking his head in the direction Eltain ran off in. "But thank you for being there to help him." He focuses the prestidigitation effect on Aramil instead quickly removing the river mud from him as well.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Eltain notices nothing out of the ordinary.

25. - Top - End - #85

The Shepherd's puzzler has run its course and come back empty handed. With a sage nod, he bows to the horse across the river. It has earned the Shepherd's respect, and it deserves to go in peace. He turned his head back to the group, a pleasant smile on his face. A beggar's smile. There was so much space on the lucky gnome's horse, after-all.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Eladrin are proud beings. Needing help like that is shameful to him, and he's still young yet."

He chuckles to himself, watching Eltain stand off by himself. "I'm amused by the younger races. When I was his age, I could barely piece a spell together, let alone face the undying with my blade unwavering.

Ah, well. We can't do much about it at this moment."
    Turning around, he looks at Shep, with the empty bridle. "As amusing as it is to watch a boulder of a man tiptoe across a river, I don't think the horse has quite the same ability. Perhaps it would be more comfortable with a more normal means of crossing."

27. - Top - End - #87

The Shepherd shakes his head.

"It is best to leave sleeping goats lie." The Shepherd furrows his brow, the proverb settling wrong with even himself.

"Or I suppose in this case, very smart horses..."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain has rallied himself slightly and is busily working industriously with a few twigs and a piece of string procured from the innards of his backpack. His hands move quickly and deftly, with the easy grace of a master craftsman. He finishes his little bit of work and stands and moves towards the bank with it. As he approaches the others can see that from four thin twigs and a bit of string, Eltain has crafted a simple eight-pointed star. Despite its simpleness, however, there is a delicate, graceful beauty to it, and he has obviously been greatly gladdened by the creation of it. He gently kneels near the bank and carefully pokes a hole in the dirt and stands the little star upright, patting it into place. He kneels over it for a moment and prays quietly.

"Corellon, forgive me for my failures and the things I have neglected. I didn't even think to learn the horse's name before leaving the stables... And I wasn't able to do anything for it, or stop Rex from being killed. I even put Aramil at risk when he had to come after me. But I'll do better, I promise. I won't give up, even when I feel useless. So please, guide me and protect me, and the others as well. Help me be worthy of you." He keeps a moment of silence and then returns to the others, his usual cheerfulness restored. He smirks as he looks at the horse on the far bank.

"Looks like at least someone has some sense around here. I'm sorry, guys. I just get a little overwhelmed sometimes, I guess. I'm not used to people being concerned about me. Usually it's the other way around." He looks gawky and awkward for a moment, before pulling himself together. "Come on, we're losing time."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick glances back and forth between Shep and Eltain (without actually meeting eyes with Eltain). "Well someone can ride my horse if they need to. I know a ritual that will let me ride Slick if it comes to it, but that still leaves us a horse short. I don't know how we want to handle that," he offers, but doesn't dismount until any decisions are made.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain notes the lack of eye contact and mentally winces.

"I am the one who caused this problem, thus its burden falls upon me, and I should be the only one to be inconvenienced by it. The rest of you can ride and I will keep up as best as I can on foot. If I fall behind, do not wait for me. I will simply catch up when I catch up. Time is of the essence," he says formally, trying his best to emulate one of the thousands of Eladrin methods of formally taking the blame for something and imposing self-punishment in hopes of evading whatever odd punishment might otherwise be demanded, and doing an incredibly bad job of it.