New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

Well, if you fancy a dungeon run, let me know and I'll be glad to help you. As noted before, I have little interest in manga and therefore have no idea what a Seinen Manga is and how it differs from any other type of manga.

I changed my previous post because reading, typing and talking backwards are things I do for fun and have no issue with.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Orc in the Playground

I'll be sure to take you up on that. I'm typing my first post in Trog's bar (Nexus) right now.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Nope. You're right. Nexus is the original setting (effectively a conglomerate of every other setting) that is used for most of the FFRP here, the others being the ones for Bleach, MLP, and the other original one, The Burning Temple, but I don't know if that thread is public or not. Anyway, the links in Happy's signature should explain the rules and starting out well enough.
    As I once posted in [EMPIRE!]The Burning Temple, that obviously makes me the resident expert on it. (Not really, though. But it does mean I've posted there before.)

It is public.

However, it also follows the very specific setting that has other threads in the PbP forum and (I think) at least one in the Worldbuilding sub-forum. So if anyone wants to post there, they have to do one of three things: Either you (one) do as I did and just post and ask the players there through either PMs or in-thread about the specifics of the setting and how to fit your character idea into it or (two) you read up on some parts of the setting, including all that which is written out in the opening post of that thread, or (three) you talk to one of the GMs of the [EMPIRE!] franchise and join the waiting list that is into their games and then you post in the OoC and IC threads there and figure out what's going on.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Hey everyone! So, like the first post suggests I guess I'll introduce myself. Been a member of the forum a while, played some PbP games here and have done free form roleplaying at other sites in the past. I tend to like stories that are more focused on character development.

Looking to see if there is any interested in a Fire Emblem based rp, and might be interested in joining other threads at some point. Interested in a little of everything, but not looking for anything too dark at the moment.

5. - Top - End - #1205

Hello fellow playgrounders! Angst here (I just came up with that nickname, holycrap why haven't I ever thought of that before?) hoping to contribute to the worlds and character development of others, and have a freaking awesome time while doing so. I've had some experience with roleplay in the past, but every single session, be it tabletop or just freeform like this sub, has stopped short in the beginning of the game. I'm hoping to have a different and easier experience here, and I'm especially interested in the crazy multi-dimensional Nexus, where, if I'm not mistaken, you can just throw your character through the different threads and continue character development for as long as you like.

Roleplay preferences? I enjoy light-hearted adventure settings, but I've also become interested in unspeakable horrors from settings like Call of Cthuhlu, and, like smashbro, I'm a fan of the Fire Emblem series, but only because of the recent DS game, so I'd have no background information for threads that take place back when Marth and Roy were saving all of Gallifrey...

6. - Top - End - #1206

happyturtle (she's the one who has the first post in this thread) has a spoiler in her signature full of stuff for Nexus beginners that might help you out. You might also want to drop by the OOC thread and say hello. We have an IRC chat you can find there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Hullo Anubite and Smash!

Indeed, I personally recommend stopping by the OOC thread if you so desire, but otherwise you're free to go about your own process of starting a Nexus scene. I'd be perfectly willing to throw a PC your way; I haven't done an introduction for a new PC in ages.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

To get started, I recommand you start at Trog's Tavern, or the Dancing Fox Inn. They're good for newbies. Just throw your character in there and go!

After you've read the first post of this thread, of course. As well as the first post of Trog's/DFI. It's a good idea to read the first post of any thread before posting in it.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-01-25 at 10:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1209

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    happyturtle (she's the one who has the first post in this thread) has a spoiler in her signature full of stuff for Nexus beginners that might help you out. You might also want to drop by the OOC thread and say hello. We have an IRC chat you can find there.
    Thanks Magtok, pointing out the sig is really helpful and confirms that the Nexus is just as chaotic as I thought it would be. Hooray!

Hullo Anubite and Smash!

Indeed, I personally recommend stopping by the OOC thread if you so desire, but otherwise you're free to go about your own process of starting a Nexus scene. I'd be perfectly willing to throw a PC your way; I haven't done an introduction for a new PC in ages.
    Sounds great if you have the time! I can go either right now or tomorrow later at night.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it's a board, so you can post it whenever you want and I'll respond to it when I see it
    If it's tonight, I'll probably see it quickly.

11. - Top - End - #1211

Well, it's a board, so you can post it whenever you want and I'll respond to it when I see it
    If it's tonight, I'll probably see it quickly.
    Do you have a preferred thread? I was thinking of sharing a drink at Dancing Fox Inn.
    Last edited by SpeedWitch; 2015-01-25 at 10:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

I run the inn, so yes, I have PC's there

13. - Top - End - #1213

I run the inn, so yes, I have PC's there
    *blinks*

*facepalm*

... right, I'll get started then!

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Angsty, I like how your character has unique characteristics, and is imperfect, meaning he doesn't fall into the 'perfect unique snowflake' trap. I just hope he doesn't become the annoying kind of angsty :P

By the way, I hope you know of the no-violence rule in DFI?

15. - Top - End - #1215

Thanks! I wanted to avoid becoming the sort of player who god-mods around every terrible situation, which is why I wrote him smashing into the bar. I used to be the sort of writer who did things like that, and when the revelation finally hit teenage me, I fled from the internet until I developed the morals and writing-skills to not do crap like that.

Yep, I read it, although I'm hoping my crazy actions didn't step over that rule somehow (Ex/bleeding all over the bar). I also have a better understanding of what Deadtime is now, so I hope to avoid ludicrous situations and worry less about stepping over the toes of other players from now on.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks! I wanted to avoid becoming the sort of player who god-mods around every terrible situation, which is why I wrote him smashing into the bar. I used to be the sort of writer who did things like that, and when the revelation finally hit teenage me, I fled from the internet until I developed the morals and writing-skills to not do crap like that.
    I guess this applies to me too, though I may not be doing a very good job of it, since it's been a while since I 'wrote', and I have the tendency to over-nerf my characters in the name of not godmodding. The balance is difficult to find. Perhaps you could help lil' old me?

What I've realized, though, is the importance of making your characters 'human' i.e. real.

EDIT: You're welcome to the IRC chat for more details and stuff. (see this link for details)
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2015-01-27 at 07:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    I guess this applies to me too, though I may not be doing a very good job of it, since it's been a while since I 'wrote', and I have the tendency to over-nerf my characters in the name of not godmodding. The balance is difficult to find. Perhaps you could help lil' old me?

What I've realized, though, is the importance of making your characters 'human' i.e. real.

EDIT: You're welcome to the IRC chat for more details and stuff. (see this link for details)
    I can relate to your crippling fear of godmodding. I've found two methods to he extremely helpful.

1. Scaling. You can have an extremely powerful character, just make sure you don't go full blast every time you fight, or when facing an obviously weaker character.
    2. (the method I use the most) Balancing. Give your character strengths equal to his/her weaknesses.
    For Zane: He has great midrange attacking ability, but if his opponent is immune to fire, he's relatively screwed, since his sword abilities are only average.

A better example is Aric. He's my only A rank character, and that's cuz he has a healing factor, anti magic weapons and shield, and an Object...
    However, he is completely vulnerable to tele/psychic attacks...
    Cripple a god with a migraine. Ya know?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Orc in the Playground

1. Scaling. You can have an extremely powerful character, just make sure you don't go full blast every time you fight, or when facing an obviously weaker character.
    2. (the method I use the most) Balancing. Give your character strengths equal to his/her weaknesses.
    For Zane: He has great midrange attacking ability, but if his opponent is immune to fire, he's relatively screwed, since his sword abilities are only average.
    That's what I'm trying to do with my characters too. Shadow is more balanced than Sharpe though, seeing as I treated Sharpe like he was min-maxing: High level of skill with knives for trading in resistance to blunt force. (A knife-teer that can't be harmed with knives but can be harmed with a baseball bat.) Ability to turn invisible traded in for the ability to teleport long distances.

Shadow: well, a weakness to magic in a magical world. I want to diminish that, but maybe add psychic powers as a weakness... Shadow's alter ego on the other hand uses 'Scaling', seeing as he's supposed to be keeping a low-profile in that state.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm still waiting for the chance to have Axanot harm Sharpe with good old fisticuffs *twiddles thumbs* *hides*
    I have no idea what Axanot can do in Trog's now, which is why I haven't been responding.

Axanot has taken part in a demonic invasion, which you could find by searching my username in Trog's. She can perform a lot of skills and spells, with no real limitation in variety, but isn't terribly strong in any of them. Her main form of dealing damage is still melee, while her spells are for utilities (temporary freezing, invisibility, flying, etc). Admittingly I haven't put any real effort to limit her power, which is already limited by the no-godmod rule.

As for my other character Kelcey... she's been only in no-violence Dancing Fox Inn, then (now) a solo freeform campaign. In that campaign, she's killed 1 spider, who was a weak minion and supposed to die fast anyway... I hope the lack of defined powers won't become a problem, though I don't see why it would be.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-01-29 at 09:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Is anyone interested in starting a campaign/story or joining a new one?

Trogg's got a bit confusing for me so I haven't posted in it yet. Too much energy, and of almost every type, is being batted around there. I'd like to take Phil on a campaign, if anyone is offering. If not, I have the counter offer of starting a quest/story in Phil's universe. It's a table top game I made years back and lots of my friends have enjoyed it, though I've never tried it in a forum like this.

Any takers on either count?

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Orc in the Playground

If you want a dungeon for Phil, Nalix, I'm game.

Would Phil be more interested in magical or technological sites, or would a mixture of both interest him more? Would he go out of his way to help somebody, or rather quest for his own purposes?

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I don't think Phil would have a preference for technological or magical settings, though he would certainly find magical more familiar. As for motive, he would rather help, as he doesn't have a lot of personal purpose just yet. Though he is interested in expanding his personal power, or at least his effectiveness.

When it comes to the aforementioned character power and god-modding, his power is potentially infinite, but strongly constrained by the RNG.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Orc in the Playground

Then I have an idea waiting for him. Would you prefer Outside or Random Plots?

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Either one, though the dice say outside. We can assume he snuck out of Troggs when things got too hot there.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Orc in the Playground

Characters rarely leave threads anyway. I'll put something up next time I post, if I may.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Go for it. Should I read what's going on, or jump in blind? I'll wait for your introduction in either case. I assume we're talking about this thread.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Orc in the Playground

This is the post in question. But yes, that thread.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Orc in the Playground

Hey all! Anyone seeking a slash-happy character to RP with?

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Halfling in the Playground

Hi all!

I'm looking at Zafflebrod's College and Preparatory School for the Magically Inclined, and thinking it might be interesting to try out this Freeform Roleplaying. I've got a character concept in mind, which might be either completely, gorundbreakingly original, or the same character that gets started every other week.

This thread says I should post in here to seek help on getting started; any takers?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    I started with a false start on a planet seconds before it collided with another planet. When it started for real, it was on a prison transport ship that got shipwrecked.

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    I want these guys in a campaign.

'Hey, pretty necromancer, wanna post for a photograph?'

'Could you hurry up? I wanna see her insides!'

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

eek Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

Roleplay without an omnipotent being deciding every action? Sign me up!

...Am I supposed to introduce myself here, then? I remember reading in another thread that I can just start typing things if I already have a character fleshed out, but I might've just thought that. I'm confused.
    Ice cubes swim in their own blood.