New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    Heyall,

I remember bringing this up during -- shudder -- Maltak.

Plants in DD must have the consistency of meat. That's the only explanation I can think of for a race of vegetarians to have fang filled maws and tusks. It's just another example of Mookie believing that Rule of Cool is more important than anything else. See: Hammer decapitation and inappropriate arrow volleys.
    Rule of cooling it is fine as long as you don't make it a story point to tell characters: "If only you had tusks you'd be able to eat plants too."

The comic is flashing back and forth between Karnak eating roots and demon flesh, and now he has pointy teeth. Your theory may have some strange merit.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-10-02 at 01:35 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    So... if we discarded Luna after that arc at her mothers' house, who would you propose to be Dominic's mate?
    Jayden? Meh. That would be boring, except, would Siggie skulk around the house and accidentally end up in their bedroom while Domi is busy seeing important other stuff?
    HE'S a cranky seer with delusions of omniscience!
    SHE'S cheating on him with a royal knight!
    THEY FIGHT CRIME
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

So, regarding my revival of the idea to use the sword adept at killing idea in a story, I've figured out how I intend to do it.

In fact, it's going to be a bit of focus in a story or two and then a novel I hope to do down the road. And yes, it will make things far worse for the protagonist than things would have been had he never found it, as contending with an item like that and with an incomplete understanding of the situation will lead him to do very bad things in his attempt at his goal.

I like throwing protagonists into the deep end of the alignment pool for a bit of a swim. It helps them sort themselves out.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, so you're taking the SW route?

More seriously, I agree, and this is basically the reason why I personally avoid good/evil axes.
    Problem is, in the Dominion, there is such an axis. It's definitely very D&D-inspired. So, from a general philosphical perspective, I agree that NG would be more logical (after all, it would take a certain altruism to dedicate yourself to maintaining a balance for the good of all things), but within the framework of the Dominion, Dominic's balance just... fails.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It isn't good and evil, though, it's light and darkness, each of which can be good or evil. Dominic was supposed to balance law, chaos, light, and dark.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It isn't good and evil, though, it's light and darkness, each of which can be good or evil. Dominic was supposed to balance law, chaos, light, and dark.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fair enough. But still... Darkness is basically necromancy - death and blight and destruction magic (the Rilian type). Light is basically healing and enhancement spells (the Gregory type).
    Not downright good/evil, but... y'know, kinda close.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    Far be it for me to defend Luna in any way, but she always struck me as simply someone who tries to be Neutral Good but is far too incompetent and self-centered to pull it off. She's not strictly evil -- just a complete idiot.
    One of my problems with Dom and Luna as the all important heroes is that they are so self-absorbed they constantly fail to look heroic. Both of them seem to be motivated either by only helping their close circle of friends or stroking their own ego. Neither seem to give a damn about the ordinary Fifth Caste citizens. Whenever the Scooby Gang is involved in doing repair things for Barthis, Dom and Luna tend to sit on the side lines - they save their elemental workforce exclusively for Dom's personal mansion.

Admittedly when I think about it I'm not sure if selfishness by itself is enough to bump Luna from Neutral to Evil. She doesn't have the same number of clearly evil actions to her name that Dominic does. Her main sin is blind acceptance of whatever Dominic wishes.

So... if we discarded Luna after that arc at her mothers' house, who would you propose to be Dominic's mate?
    I vaguely remember mention of Jayden being slated as Dominic's original destined mate at the very start of the comic before Luna became a permanent fixture. Jayden then was switched to Greg's potential girlfriend in the early arcs - I'm not sure whether Milov was originally meant to be bumped off or turn evil or something. That explains why Jayden's personality doesn't extend beyond "Potential Love Interest MacGuffin."

I'd pick Madame Zelda Zanzibar, purely to squick people out when they realise that Zelda is based on Mookie wearing a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I think you're being a bit harsh on some of the ones you say are evil/neutral bordering on neutral/good. Well, when I say 'some' I mostly mean Donovan.
    The problem with Donovan is that his trolling of the orcs for twenty years is so insanely CHAOTIC NEUTRAL it blanks out anything else he has ever done, ever.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post

The problem with Donovan is that his trolling of the orcs for twenty years is so insanely CHAOTIC NEUTRAL it blanks out anything else he has ever done, ever.
    And in a way is probably the most sensible and best portrayal of Chaotic Neutral I've seen in a long time.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously we need Donovan doing the Successful Troll fist pump and thrust while wearing a banana hammock.

Or a Successful Troll in a banana hammock.

Either way, really.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    And in a way is probably the most sensible and best portrayal of Chaotic Neutral I've seen in a long time.
    I think this will now be an inspiration for my next CN character.

BTW, am I the only one who just fell in love with Runcible Spoon's name when he was introduced?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-10-02 at 08:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #1329

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    BTW, am I the only one who just fell in love with Runcible Spoon's name when he was introduced?
    It's a great name.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

10. - Top - End - #1330

NecromancerGuy

Phew. So I'm not a lone crazy. ...I continually wonder how Mookie came up with it myself....x.x
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

12. - Top - End - #1332

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Phew. So I'm not a lone crazy. ...I continually wonder how Mookie came up with it myself....x.x
    Maybe the idea came to him from an early DD sporking?

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ogre in the Playground

Was that a strategic google search, or did you just happen to have that knowledge lying around somewhere?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

Was that a strategic google search, or did you just happen to have that knowledge lying around somewhere?
    Whichever thought makes you more comfortable.

15. - Top - End - #1335

NecromancerGuy

Whichever thought makes you more comfortable.
    Hmm, I'm going to just decide you're an awesome A.I. construct from beyond the internets so I don't have to start crushing on you if you continue to display such preternatural fu.

Maybe the idea came to him from an early DD sporking?
    Sporking? Where does that term come from, I wonder...
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ettin in the Playground

Would letting you know I'm a guy make it easier to keep from crushing on me?

I just like the female version of this icon better, really. It makes me feel pretty.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

I vaguely remember mention of Jayden being slated as Dominic's original destined mate at the very start of the comic before Luna became a permanent fixture. Jayden then was switched to Greg's potential girlfriend in the early arcs - I'm not sure whether Milov was originally meant to be bumped off or turn evil or something. That explains why Jayden's personality doesn't extend beyond "Potential Love Interest MacGuffin."
    As I said in my list, Jayden would have been boring. So even if she was Mookie's choice she wouldn't be ours.

I'd pick Madame Zelda Zanzibar, purely to squick people out when they realise that Zelda is based on Mookie wearing a dress.
    Ah yes, she's actually the first person I meant to put on my list but I didn't know her name and by the time I finished my list I'd already forgotten about her.

She does have a distinct character I think so it's not... hey did you say Mookie, not Dominus??
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2010-10-03 at 01:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1338

GnomeWizardGuy

Ah yes, she's actually the first person I meant to put on my list but I didn't know her name and by the time I finished my list I'd already forgotten about her.

She does have a distinct character I think so it's not... hey did you say Mookie, not Dominus??
    Mwahahahaha! Read this newspost and see the truth!

Edit: Or maybe I should be less lazy and paste the relevant part here:

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie's newspost for 2nd Jan 2008
    Second, Madam Zanzibar from yesterday's strip is... me. A couple of years ago I dressed (in drag) as a fortune teller for Halloween and called myself Madam Zanzibar. I carried around a pair of crystal balls and asked people if they wanted to see their future... in my balls. I found the "character" so amusing that I'd always wanted to put her in the strip. So there she was. That's some new year's trivia for you.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2010-10-03 at 01:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1339

NecromancerGuy

I just like the female version of this icon better, really. It makes me feel pretty.
    Well, it wouldn't really be that kind of crush anyway. So no worries there.

The far more pernicious kind where I'd have to remember you.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Bugbear in the Playground

So that's why she
    Spoiler
    Show
    didn't get killed off.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that certainly didn't help me

I'm gonna go with the A.I. construct theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    So that's why she
    Spoiler
    Show
    didn't get killed off.
    Haha! It also explains why she'd never become Dom's love interest. Now, Luna's on the other hand... Come on, you know Mookie wants to!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

Haha! It also explains why she'd never become Dom's love interest. Now, Luna's on the other hand... Come on, you know Mookie wants to!
    He was close to it too! (But nooo, the Dominus, will all his willpower, would break down, cry like a baby and anihilate the Dominion. >_>)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

23. - Top - End - #1343

That would mean that Mookie was in love with himself/his best friend/his son.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

24. - Top - End - #1344

NecromancerGuy

Well, narcissism isn't exactly unknown...
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that certainly didn't help me

I'm gonna go with the A.I. construct theory.
    That's fine by me. Danish girls are cute.

But I can be an A.I., too.

26. - Top - End - #1346

Sneaky gate
    En futur

BWAHAHA Karnak's gonna be so mad that I killed all these demons, guys, I'm the best at what I do
    Also, what is going on in the second half of this update? Is he extruding armor? Or spikes? Or a cape? Or is all the blood from the scars clotting improbably? Or is it A GRAND ASCENSION INTO BEING A DEMON LORD? :O
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2010-10-03 at 10:38 PM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

27. - Top - End - #1347

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Also, what is going on in the second half of this update? Is he extruding armor? Or spikes? Or a cape? Or is all the blood from the scars clotting improbably? Or is it A GRAND ASCENSION INTO BEING A DEMON LORD? :O
    He's slipping into something more... comfortable.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-10-03 at 10:46 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ettin in the Playground

And Siggy manages to continue being the single most interesting character in the comic.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Apparently Siggy has been screaming Karnak's name over and over again this entire time. He must really miss him.

Remember when Mookie was all about how he didn't like the "extreme" turn his classic heroes had taken, how he disliked the blood and gore/darkness nonsense that characterized the '80s? Anyone else feel like Mookie's tastes seem to have changed?

Edit: Removed sneaky gate link, due to Rocketpony being a no-good NINJA!
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2010-10-03 at 10:53 PM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

30. - Top - End - #1350

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Apparently Siggy has been screaming Karnak's name over and over again this entire time. He must really miss him.

Remember when Mookie was all about how he didn't like the "extreme" turn his classic heroes had taken, how he disliked the blood and gore/darkness nonsense that characterized the '80s? Anyone else feel like Mookie's tastes seem to have changed?

Edit: Removed sneaky gate link, due to Rocketpony being a no-good NINJA!
    I'm willing to give Mookie a pass here -- it is Hell, after all.

Now, "Bortette" suddenly turning into Wolverine and tearing apart a bunch of poachers? That's another story entirely.