New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Light of Divinity IC

Flash's aid is superfluous, as Vesri is standing by the trap. She has a small bag of salt in her hand, from her time as an Immaculate, and she's using it to make a plainly visible outline around the plate, careful that the outline's inner edge still has a little over a coin's width from the edge of the plate. It wasn't the usual definition of preventitive care, but it'd do in a pinch.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

"Wha- Hey!"

Esen still had no clear idea of who this new person was, or of what he was doing in the manse. What Esen did know was that he had just interrupted what easily ranked as one of the best moments of his life, and was now attempting to make off with Mina! He had no idea who the man thought that he was, but Esen would most certainly not allow him to so blatantly walk in and attempt to steal Mina away.

This is not to say, of course, that Esen was planning on any violent action. He still had his sense of understanding, even for something like this, and he remained a kind person. Besides, his oath explicitly forbid him from attacking people, except in self-defense, and he doubted that this counted. Instead, he chose to try speaking with the man first, hoping that he could convince him to be reasonable.

"Would you mind releasing Mina?" he said, barely managing to keep his outrage in check. "We can see the trap, and she's certainly capable of walking without your help."
    Last edited by Lucus Casius; 2010-10-02 at 02:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Upon the arrival of Flash and his new friends, particularly the woman clad in nothing but a cloak, Vesri flushes and facepalms. Fortunately, she does this with the hand that wasn't holding salt. "Flash, I'm going to assume that either I'm misinterpretting what I'm seeing. Please tell me that that assumption is accurate."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Flash

Flash looked over at Esen, genuinely suprised.

"You are still here? I thought... I dunno, you went somewhere else."

He turned his full attention back to Vesri and Mina, both of whom interested him far more then Esen. He did not remove his arm either.

"This is the wise, intelligent and beautiful Vesri. And Vesri, my dear, this gorgeous woman is Mina. And yes, dear Vesri, you are, most likely. Mina's unclothed state is entirely unconnected to my arrival. I have a fair guess as to its source, but nothing improper has happened. Not that I would mind if it had!"

He thought for a moment, before shrugging. He wished he had more to flatter Mina with then her appearance, but he honestly didn't know anything else about her. Stalks picked up the slack, stepping through the door, and avoiding the pressure plate.

"And this of course, is the lovely Stalks, and our daughter, Illia."

"Charmed."

"Hi Miss!"

Many children would ask why Mina wasn't wearing more... substantial clothing. Illia took it for granted. Scantily clad women and her father were just part of the givens of her life.
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2010-10-02 at 02:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

The situation was getting out of hand really, really fast. But Mina still wasn't unhappy or angry - quite the contrary. She found Flash's antics amusing, to an extent, and she still felt really good after what had happened with Esen. Still - judging from her Mate's reaction, she probably should put an end to his hopes. She gently eased his hand away, and told him, in a cheerful and playing tone :

"While having men fight over me flaunts my ego, Flash, I am a taken woman. You wouldn't like Esen when he's angry, trust me!"

She stuck his tongue out at him, and then turned towards the other members of the group. Out of all of them, the one named Stalks was the one that stuck out the most to the woman... because she was drop-dead gorgeous - even Mina could see that. Her outfit certainly helped establish that. But that wasn't all... she had a child already.

Instantly, Mina's animal instincts were awakened, and another kind of green flashed in her eyes for a brief instant. That woman was a threat to her, if only because of her beauty. The young Lunar's mind went wild - what if, what if, she tried to steal Esen away from her? But she was already married and had a child, surely she wouldn't! Still. Songbird looked at her strangely, but then smiled and bowed before the group.

"I am called Mina, but I am also known as "the Lovely Songbird" in some places. It is a pleasure to meet all of you!"

Mina didn't even bother trying to hide her name from the others - after all, they were in a dangerous manse, she didn't think them suspecting her to be an Anathema was a priority at this juncture.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Flash

Flash smiled at Mina's words, winking at her outrageously once more.

"I've dealt with quite a few angry suitors and husbands in my time Mina. I wouldn't worry to much about me. As for you belonging to Esen... well, finding things that nominally belong to someone, and treating them properly is a specialty of mine. So, I wouldn't count on it."

Stalks looked back at Mina, and smiled at her, handing Illia off to Flash for a moment. She'd seen what had shown in Mina's face. Stalks was used to it by now. She reached up and patted Mina's cheek, smiling widely.

"You are a lovely little thing. I could just eat you up. I wouldn't watch Flash to closely, darling. You might miss me."

Stalks looked over at Esen, her eyebrows raising... if mostly for Mina's benefit.

"And who is your... oh so handsome friend, dear?"
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2010-10-02 at 03:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

"Mina belongs to Mina," Esen said coolly. "Not to me."

He sighed then, as he looked to Mina. Despite his comment, he was certainly not about to allow Mina to be taken away from him by one of these odd people. He cared about her far too much to lose her to something like this. At that thought, a faint smile managed to break through his sudden gloominess. When he spoke, his voice was once again cheerful.

"Though now that I think of it, saying we belonged to each other might not be terribly far off."

He wrapped his arm protectively, and reassuringly, around Mina. Though it hardly seemed necessary at this point, it still made him feel better to do so. Besides, he wanted to let her know that, no matter the case, he stood with her.

"I am Esen, often called Fire-In-Faith."

He looked curiously at the woman who had just spoken, though not because of her comments. No, he had noticed something when she spoke... and something else, too, when he saw her ears. Of course. It probably should have been obvious sooner. Who but exalts would come to a manse?

"You aren't mortals, are you?" he asked, smile widening. "Nice ears, miss."
    Last edited by Lucus Casius; 2010-10-02 at 04:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248

Mina understood the subtle message behind Flash's words, but she instantly wished she hadn't. But she was far, far more concerned at Stalks' words, mostly because it partially confirmed her theory. She kept on smiling, but she frowned nonetheless.

"Indeed," she said after Esen spoke, pressing her head against him but staring at Stalks with a nervous smile. "So don't even think about it."

At the last sentence, she dropped all semblance of niceness, and her tone became outright hostile towards Stalks. In her jealousy, her brain took a little time to think about Esen's last sentence. Wait, her ears? How could he tell they weren't mortals... oh, no, this couldn't mean! Turning her head towards Esen, her eyebrows raised, she said :

"What? What is the meaning of this?"

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Flash

Flash laughed at Esen's words, nodding affirmatively. He agreed with the boy. Not that it would help his case.

"That is the spirit! See, my lovely songbird? You are a free agent. Don't worry though, I don't expect you to come around all the way yet."

Flash's smile turned mysterious after that.

"As for the identity of Stalks and myself, the price remains the same. A kiss from the lovely Mina, the beautiful Rowan, or the gorgeous Vesri."

Stalks smiled at Mina, letting her amulet do it's work, a subtle golden light filling the room, slowly changing Stalks appearance, as she walked over to the two. Esen had seen her tell, evidently, even though Stalks was good at hiding it. Might be time to let him see a bit more. Once it was finished Stalks wasn't just beautiful anymore. She was... well beyond what words they had were for. She looked over at Esen then.

"Oh, and what do you think I am? Would you like to find out?"

Then a look toward Mina and a whisper.

"How about if we shared him my dear? Or would you like to offer yourself up instead?"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

"Actually," he said, pulling Mina closer. "I much prefer staying with Mina."

Esen shook his head. Obviously, they had all misunderstood what he had said about the ears. Or they were blind. The latter being very unlikely, he decided to go with the former. He gestured to the suddenly more attractive, faintly glowing woman with the ears of a coyote. Not that he paid much attention to this beyond a minor note. He actually cared about Mina, after all.

"You don't have human ears," he pointed out. "And, unless you enjoy filing your teeth to points, you definitely have fangs. My guess is that you're a beastwoman, though I could be wrong."

11. - Top - End - #251

Mina hissed quietly once she saw the new trickery of Stalks, not paying much attention to the rest. Her new change of Appearance was... troubling. In lighter times, the young Lunar might've complimented her. But she didn't, because the threat of Stalks was becoming way too strong for her taste, and she was definitely being too brazen. She put herself in front of Esen, and stared up, directly into Stalks' eyes. It was the fierce look of the canary protecting her mate, and anger started boiling inside of her.

"I think we will be fine, thank you," she said, and her voice lost all of her warmth; it was now colder than the bedroom itself.

Then, she listened to Esen, and her brain worked very quickly. She frowned.

"No, she is not a beastwoman," she slowly commented. "Those have generally more signs than ears and fangs. No, in fact, that kind of sounds like...sounds like..."

Her voice became soft, and her anger subsided. Her eyes became blank for a second; then, she looked at Stalks once more, and a smile of triumph came upon her lips.

"...a Tell." She concluded quietly.

Her stance relaxed, and she granted Stalks a strange look. It was apparently trying to look triumphant, like she was trying to tell the scantily-clad woman that Songbird had won... but the young Lunar wasn't good at throwing menacing looks, and it ended up becoming almost lusty as a result.

"It is truly a pleasure to meet you," she added slowly. "Sister of the Moon."

Forgetting all sense of security and carefullness, Mina's Caste Mark appeared on her forehead once again, and the Changing Moon shone brightly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spending 1 mote to make the Caste Mark flare.
    Permanent: ●●●
    Personal: 17/17 (0 Committed)
    Peripheral: 34/42 (2 Committed)
    Last edited by Skybound Fencer; 2010-10-02 at 05:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Stalks

Stalks smiled, listening to Mina's deduction. It was quite well done, if a little bit obvious. Flash wasn't trying very hard, and she wasn't trying at all. At the end, Stalks appeared to consider for a moment and winked, a twin of Mina's Caste Mark appearing on her forehead.

"Well done, Sister..."

Stalks leaned forward, her hand coming up and pulling Mina close, kissing her. Not chastely, either. From where he was standing, Flash whistled softly.

"Now that is a pleasant sight."

Stalks pulled back, and smiled at her and Esen.

"Not bad at all. If you'd like Esen, you can kiss me to, and then you two will be even."

13. - Top - End - #253

Mina looked, with utter shock, at Stalks. She did not say anything. She did not move. She did not even change expression for a while. But then, after two seconds or so, her face became crimson again; in fact, it was perhaps even more intense than before. She immediatly turned away from Stalks, but still did not speak.

"...I would've appreciated a warning, Stalks," she whispered, her voice reflecting her outer state.

She did not care about her jealousy towards Stalks anymore; Songbird was simply too embarassed. Not daring to look upon Esen, Mina moved towards her Mate and... hid behind him. She did not bother to check if she was still visible; she simply pressed herself against his back and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

At that very moment, she wished that Luna granted her Chosen some way to disappear from the surface of Creation. At least for a while.
    Last edited by Skybound Fencer; 2010-10-02 at 05:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

Esen crossed his arms, no longer even bothering to try concealing his disgust with Stalks. She had embarrassed his mate, was flirting with both of them despite them obviously being uninterested, and, to top it all off, was doing this in front of a small child! How could she expect any positive response from him?

"I have no reason to get even with Mina," he said, voice brimming with barely controlled outrage. "She has done nothing wrong. You, on the other hand..."

He glared angrily at Stalks and Flash. "First, you interrupt us in a private moment, and attempt to take my mate away. Second, you continue to make advances on us, despite our clear refusals. Third? You're doing this in front of your own daughter!"

He shook his head and gestured to Illia. He had no idea what type of parents these people considered themselves to be, but they were making a horrible example for their child. Before all else, that upset him. Well, that and Stalks actually going so far as to kiss Mina.

"What is she even doing here, in a place of danger? Why, if you are her parents, are you making such fools out of yourselves in front of your own child?"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Flash

Flash looked at Esen, and shrugged afterwards.

"You finished? Good. You know nothing about me and Stalks. You know nothing about Illia. You know nothing about anything, and you presume to have the right to judge our job of parenting."

Flash's voice never wavered, never moved.

"Your private moment was in a Manse filled with traps. If I had been automatons we dispatched earlier, you both could be dead. If you want to be judgmental, look at you own conduct. You endangered yourself, and Mina. Of course, it isn't my place to judge."

Flash sighed, and shook his head. He disliked being so serious, and turned away, a flicker of annoyance showing clearly on his face despite his attempts to supress it. He turned away, and looked over at Mina. He walked over to Stalks, and pulled out an Extra Dress. Her Amulet covered her clothes storing needs, but it helped to have on hand for explanations. It would fit the Lunar.

"Mina, here. If you'd like, go get dressed in that room back there."

16. - Top - End - #256

Mina shyly peeked her head from behind Esen. She could feel the... sudden tension in the air, the anger. She would've liked to sing, to appease the mind of everybody, but she was in no condition to come up with a decent song. Still - she had to say something. Coming to her senses a little bit, she came up in front again and said, her cheeks still red and her voice soft :

"Please, Flash, Esen... Stalks. There will be no need for anger. Why don't we all just breathe, and calm down, alright? We're going to be working together - we're gonna need to have our minds clear for that. But please, Flash, Stalks. Stop. Now is not the time."

Making a point of avoiding crossing Stalks' gaze, she took the dress from Flash's hands, thanking him on the way. Brown... not her favorite color, but it would do. She went back into the room, making sure to avoid the pressure plate, and got dressed very quickly. While she was in there, she collected her thoughts about the situation. They would need to work together despite their differences. She had worked with worse odds before - and they didn't seem like such a bad bunch of fellows.

After putting the dress on, she came back to the rest of the group. Her face was back to its normal tone, and she wore a smile on her face. It felt a little forced, but it still expressed her usual happiness.

"So..." she began, her voice calm. "What now?"
    Last edited by Skybound Fencer; 2010-10-02 at 07:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Flash

Flash stared at Esen while Mina was gone, Stalks taking back Illia. The little girl had picked up the anger in the voices, even if she hadn't truly understood. When Mina remerged, Flash smiled at her, his earlier anger gone... or at least hidden far away.

"Well, there are lot of possibilities, my dear. I'd suggest you stay behind me, and stick with us as we explore this place. I have a number of other suggestions, but they best way for a more oppurtune time."

Flash nodded, and looked to the others.

"Any objections?"

Stalks for her part, walked over to Mina.

"Dear, you didn't spend much time with the Silver Pact, did you? Perhaps I was a bit more forward then I should have been. For most of our kind, that wouldn't be much more then a greeting."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

"I have many objections," Esen said in response. "But for now, I shall do as Mina wishes. No matter how much I may disapprove of it."

Esen was... less than pleased about these new arrangements. Still, if Mina wanted to go along with it, he had no intention of leaving her. It wasn't easy, but he also admitted to himself that, without knowledge of what could be in the manse besides what they had already encountered, it might be wise to have more people to assist in dealing with it. Even if he could find no reason to trust them any farther than he could throw them.

19. - Top - End - #259

Mina listened to Flash's idea, and pondered it for a while. Well, there wasn't much to think about - of course they had to stick together for now. They were in some sort of crazy manse, which could send giant lizards at them, and a god was on the loose. They would need all the help they could get. Still, she turned to Esen and said, a little apologetic :

"I think we should follow them. This manse is dangerous. Remember the robots? Who knows what else is in there?"

She turned towards Flash, and then nodded at him in agreement. She then turned towards Stalks, finally daring to look at her, and her face went blank of all expression.

"You're right," she began, her voice neutral. "I didn't spend much time with the Silver Pact. It's cool, though - at least now I know that it is apparently customary to kiss all Lunars on the mouth. Maybe I should do that to Master Sunbird when I see her again, then?"

Her voice cracked up a little at the last sentence, and she glanced aside.

"...I wonder how she'd react," she grumbled, to no one in particular. Then she turned towards Stalks again and smiled slightly. "Anyway, it's okay, it doesn't matter now. But, yeah... if you ever get that urge again, I'd like a warning first. And save it for when we get out of the manse, alright?"

A little more chipper at the thought, she asked, to the audience :

"Well! Should we get moving then, ladies and gentlemen?"
    Last edited by Skybound Fencer; 2010-10-03 at 05:20 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

"We should probably pick up the people who wandered off the other hall to find whatever the robots we found were guarding." Vesri pointed down the hall that she, Flash, and his family had come from. "Odds are they've found something either very good or very bad, since there haven't been sounds of bad things happening."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Flash

Flash looked over at Vesri, and looked around at the other three doors in the corridor. It seemed like a shame to just walk away without opening them.

"I vote we open up the three other doors."

Flash... didn't care about Phoenix, honestly. Flash tried to save people, but when they were determined to die, not much could be done. So whatever Phoenix found, Flash would leave it up to him.

"Who knows what could be behind them? I still think we came out ahead from opening door number one up."

Stalk's patted Mina's cheek and smiled.

"You never know till you try, dear. And you would like to do it again? I'll remember that, Mina."

22. - Top - End - #262

Mina looked at Stalks, her face showing exaggerated disappointment; as a great performer, the young Lunar's expression range was quite large. But still - Songbird really wished that the scantily-clad woman would stop trying to hit on her. Though the kiss hadn't been that bad... gah, no, focus! Mission, Esen! Yes!

"That is not what I said and you know it," she answered, almost grunting. "What did I just say about keeping yourself in check?"

With a slight smile, she then raised her hand and lightly pinched Stalks' right cheek. While it might've looked like a playful gesture, Mina had also done it to feel better about herself. She could keep that woman in check, keep her away from Esen... yes, she believed she could.

"You've been naughty, Stalks! Stop it!" she said, in a serious, yet still exaggerated, tone.

She then turned her head towards Flash and commented, still pinching Stalks :

"That plan sounds fine, Flash, but if there are really other people here, shouldn't we go and get them? I mean, this manse sounds dangerous - they could be in trouble. Not to mention we could be too, soon!"

But, in all honesty, she was more worried about the safety of Esen than her own; getting the other part of the group might've helped.
    Last edited by Skybound Fencer; 2010-10-03 at 02:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Flash

Stalks smiled at Mina, and winked, not bothered by the pinch on the cheek.

"I haven't even started, child. And if you keep pinching me, I'm going to pinch you somewhere else. You have a good complexion for blushing dear."

Flash had shrugged at Mina's question, and in the meantime was being distracted by other... things going on. But he forced himself to refocus. Of course, he hadn't given up on Mina. He was just attacking the problem from a different angle.

"Keep an eye out. There isn't much in this mansion that could take down a Moon Chosen, as long as she isn't... distracted."

Flash walked over to one of the other doors, opening it gingerly, checking for traps as he did so.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

Esen turned away from the display before him, doing his best to block out what they were saying. Esen was starting to believe that he had read Mina completely wrong. If so... he didn't know what he could do, other than leave at the first opportunity. So much for the blessing of the Unconquered Sun.

He sat down, allowing his mind to enter a calmer, more meditative state while Flash explored the rooms. Refusing to look at Stalks, Flash, or Mina, he tried to think.

25. - Top - End - #265

Mina sighed. Her plan hadn't worked very well at all, and all this flirthing was starting to get somewhat infruirating. She let go of Stalks' cheek, frankly starting to get tired of her antics, though she had tried to put a brave face on.

"Enough," she simply said. "Let's just focus on what we came here to do, alright?"

She looked towards Esen, and saw that he was sitting down, apparently trying to... well, she didn't really know, but she didn't like the look on his face at all. Wondering if this had anything to do with herself, she sat down in front of him. Her face looked sad, because she could feel that something was wrong.

"Esen," she asked softly. "What's...what's wrong?"

How did they go from kissing to this in a mere moment? She did know, nor did she understand. She was simply confused again.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Esen took a deep breath, and opened his eyes. He had managed to regain some of his calm in those few moments of meditation, and... despite his anger, Mina's voice brought him a sense of peace. Still, it did not fully banish the feeling of unease. He... did feel love for her, but... could she be trusted with that?

"Simple fear, Mina," he said with a sigh, his voice both sad and weary. "To go straight to the matter... I don't know that you won't leave me when you get the chance. Even knowing you for such a short time..."

He sighed again, and shook his head. It was all he could say, all he could explain. He didn't want to lose her now, without even getting the chance to really know who she was.
    Last edited by Lucus Casius; 2010-10-03 at 07:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Phoenix, Rowan... and Red!?
    Spoiler
    Show

For a few moments Red seems drowsy, as if only half awake, only vaguely aware of the distinguished, dark skinned man examining him with a critical eye. Clad in fine cloths, he never the less has a hard bent about him, and seems to suck up everything else is Reds vision apart from himself.

"Hmm. Interesting. Now back you go."

Red found himself stumbling out of a passage, behind two other people, on of them visible radiating with the anima of a solar. Rowan and Phoenix barely had time to react before the voice started up again.

"P-please. I am the manse you are in-in-in now. Shadow Pierces Sunlight. No... No Sunlight P-p-p-pierces Shadow. Doesn't matter. Som-someone let something out. A ol-old tool of the primordials that seeks to re-release its ilk from there cages wh-ere my old masters caged them away. You-you must stop him! I-I will reward you. Somehow. Please! I cannot fail. Ca-ca-cannot fail."

Everyone Else. You silly geese. Or gaggles. Whatever.
    Spoiler
    Show

Another pressure plate. This hallway must be littered with them. The door leads into what looks like some small, maintenance area. A small, non omnicidal version of the automata you fought earlier is buzzing around working on various machinery that behind the scenes, no doubt fuels the great ballroom.
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Phoenix,watches all the soap opera happening in the ballroon with a smirk and one eyebrow raised.They really amused him.Then he goes back to focus on the man who appeared and the voice.He wasn't worried with the man,but whispers in Tempest's ear to keep an eye on him aniway.Then he goes back to the voice

"Calm down!This manse is trapped isn't it?Then unleash some traps upon him.And while you are at that,your collaboration so that WE don't get caught in those traps would be good,but I guess that requires us to fix you.How can we do that?Also,Sunlight Pierces Shadow.Who were thy masters?"

He takes a serious face as the stalk with the voice starts.He assumes it was the manse's AI.Amazing,after all those years and changes it still worked

29. - Top - End - #269

Mina looked straight at Esen, her face becoming blank of emotions for a while. Her brain started working very quickly. Was this fear justified? Yes...and at the same time, no. The Lovely Songbird felt too close, too attracted towards her mate for her to leave him - and she thought that he knew that, too. Yet, she knew that all people expressed fear when in a relationship. She plunged her gaze into Esen's, and answered, softly.

"Esen... you're my Solar Mate. Once again, this means we are Fated. I feel...pulled, towards you. It is a strong feeling, and I cannot ignore it."

She paused, smiled sadly, and then continued :

"But even if I could, even if I wanted to, I wouldn't. When I'm with you, I feel happy. I have been looking for... a person such as you for a very long time."

What else could she say to him, what could she do to reassure him? She didn't know, she had never had such a relationship with someone before. She simply bought her face closer to his, and whispered :

"Unless you want me to leave, I won't. Don't worry."

She just wanted him to be happy, as well. If he wasn't with her, then she would leave...though she would regret her failing for all of her life after that. But she would still do it, for the happiness of the people around her was far more important than her own.
    Last edited by Skybound Fencer; 2010-10-04 at 05:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

Esen smiled, reassured. He knew she was telling him the truth, and that she would not abandon him. There was no reason to fear. Each cared far too much about the other to depart.

"Thank you," he whispered, "That's all I needed."

Cheerful once more, he leaned forward to give Mina a swift kiss on the cheek. All of his earlier unease was gone, replaced by a sense of trust and love in the young woman before him. He thought the same as she did- together, they were happy. He would not leave her, either.

"So," he said, laughing. "Let us remain together, then."

He pushed himself off the ground, then wrapped an arm around Mina. He would not allow Flash or Stalks to anger him again, not about this. Of course he would defend Mina, but, now that he knew he could trust her to stay, he would not sink into depression if they acted otherwise. Esen would remain strong, so long as Mina was with him.