New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fey vs Industrial- Industrial Side IC

Rain.

It's been raining for the last four days and the paved streets are running slick with all the various ingredients of civilization. Smoke would normally be seen looming over the horizon due to the deforestation efforts of the ambitious industrialists, but thankfully the clouds have soaked it all up and are returning it all to the ground in greasy, lukewarm globs.

Still many people were cheerful as word was spreading of yet another tribe of savages surrendering to the comforts of modern society; after their trial of course. Everyone knows its just a matter of time till there's nowhere left to run for them and extermination seems like the only way to progress.

Chief Commander Golda has been pushing advancement of the borders which has had mixed results, but nevertheless the people stay behind her. Her powerful personality and reputation as a strong warrior have ensured that competition is very scarce. More recently, she has issued a call to arms and is promising wealth for those who bring back anything of importance from outside the city walls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to get started however you like. If enough time passes and it doesn't look like you guys have any idea what you're doing, I'll throw in my own plot. In the meantime you guys can tackle the situation however you like.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fey vs Industrial- Industrial Side IC

Spoiler
    Show
    correct me if I don't follow game protocol exactly, as I said I'm new here, and though that is becoming slowly less true, this is my first online game.

The Medicine Man, as he has been known as for many generations of human lives, slowly stops crawling across the sodden ground and looks up. Suddenly he notices that the bright golden sphere, and it's smaller paler counterpart are missing from the sky replaced by balls of sludge falling on his head. Quickly he reaches down too a human skull which had been conveniently hanging next to other similar skulls on the skeleton of a snake with an abnormally large head which appears to serve the purpose of a belt suspending his loincloth.
    He quickly lifts the skull to the sky and with a low heart wrenching moan and the skull shatters. The shards solemnly blow away in the air strangely the shards blow against the wind and they appear unaffected by the rain, still heavy with the sludge of factories. Thus having cast a know direction spell the Medicine Man turns around, his back to the presently dissipating shards, and resumes his crawl. This time towards the high walls of what appears to be a rather large city. A second snake lingering upon his back quickly translates the moans and howls of the Medicine Man. Perhaps this town will have someone of proper authority to which we can report our race's diplomatic allegiance with their cause. Maybe even tell us where we could be of use on the field. May Ka-Dul's blessings shroud... Than noticing that there was nobody around to hear it swiftly cut off mid-sentence.
    Last edited by drack; 2010-08-12 at 01:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Amaryllis sighed and grabbed a water-proof cloak off the coat rack. After a moment's consideration, she put on her plain, rather worn and stained, knee-high leather boots. There was a meeting of the noble's council today, to discuss Commander Golda's plan to expand their borders. Never mind that it was practically raining oil, and that not everyone owned a carriage.

On the table in the hall, there was already a note for Daemon. Daemon-Went to the council meeting. I'll be back in two hours, don't exert yourself too much, and stay out of Father's way. -Amaryllis

She took another look out the window at the pouring rain, shook her head, pulled the large hood over her head, and headed out, the soot-laden rain quickly covering her boots with a grayish, greasy, sheen.

4. - Top - End - #4

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get stopped by a squad of guards patrolling the city's outer walls. A human wearing breastplate and carrying a longsword stops the group and calls out to you. "Halt native! What is your business at our glorious city?"

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    The air outside is uncomfortably warm and humid which is, thankfully, keeping the streets more or less free of traffic. The walk leaves your clothes feeling mildly slick and uncomfortable, but now you face the massive double doors of one of the city-states gathering halls. Part government building, part church; this place carries the imposing arrogance of the power hungry politicians all throughout its halls.

A door on the right is ajar, flickering torchlight spilling from the opening and dozens of greasy footprints leading within.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The Medicine Man's head turns all the way around and his fingers shift tentatively along the slick slope as he stops mid step.

Suddenly the constant cacophony of wails and moans emanating from the Medicine Man are joined with a hollow serpentine voice: We are a representative of the followers of Ka-Dul. We understand what you are doing with...

The Medicine Man gestures vaguely to the dark clouds overhead

...this. We wish you to know that Ka-Dul smiles kindly on this. I have come to deliver a message from our elders about the recent Fey activity which I am told will contribute greatly to your cause. I have also been sent to serve as a symbol of our people's support for your conquest.

Now a skeletal serpent rises and opens it's mouth to reveal a piece of parchment. Now, if you would be so kind as to take me to someone of authority here I am sure we will get along. This last part was accompanied by a loud click as the Medicine Man's head snaped sharply to the side perpendicular to his frame.

6. - Top - End - #6

@Drack:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Several of the younger guards look over you with a fearful expression and take a few steps back. The senior officer stutters for a second. "W-we'll have to take you into custody to determine your threat level before even considering letting you near the higher-ups." He gestures toward the parchment. "I'll have my commander take a look at your proposition while you're being checked out."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Amaryllis steps inside, hangs her cloak up on one of the wooden hooks on the wall, and quickly takes her seat. She can't help but wrinkle her nose slightly at the smell of damp furs which seems to permeate the room. The opulence of the room always bothered her slightly. They could fund better sanitation or more effective streets, but no, their public image matters more. They must intimidate every commoner, artisan, and merchant who so much as sets eyes on their homes and meeting-places. she thinks. It is a thought that crosses her mind every time she sets foot in this building.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Medicine Man looks unwavering into the commander's eyes with his own purple eyes, which are given a strange glow by the darkness. This glow only becomes more eerie considering that because of the grease his pale skin is covered and the darkness invoked by the heavy clouds it appears as if the darkness it's self is alive and surveying the party.

After a moments pause filled only with the Medicine Man's whining moan the snake mouth snaps shut to nothing but the small craves that snake mouths normally appear...concealing the scrap of parchment. It than in the same hollow voice continues: We will accept your incarceration as a show of good faith, but I was entrusted by the elders to deliver the message to your higher ups...personally.

The medicine Man than turns his body releasing his head from it's unnatural position preparing to follow the guards wherever they may take him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    to be on the safe side Diplomacy check (1d20+10)[21]

10. - Top - End - #10

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you enter, the crowd in the main hallway surprises you. All manner of scruffy looking individuals are standing around in their own little cliques discussing battle strategy and filling out various forms. One of the fat political-types is standing near the end of the hall shaking the hand of a man literally twice his size.

Obviously a warrior, and though his armor obscures most of his details, you can still tell he's too massive to be human. The head of the flail hanging from his hip is larger than your head and the handle looks to be made of some rare wood that is capped at one end with an iron spike. He doesn't seem to be alone though, as there are two people listening intently to the conversation from their position nearby the opposite wall.

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Safety protocol requires we put the proper restraints on you before leading you into town and collect your possessions until you are cleared." Two of the younger, skittish-looking guards approach you holding manacles, arms visibly shaking.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I stare back at them with eyes like willow whisps, and through my screaches the snack speaks: As I said I will accept your incarseration as a show of good faith.
    Than as if to it's self it adds It's not as if we wouldn't be wasting more time running around in this weather anyways, even without being entirely lost.

The Medicine Man slowly extends two surprisingly long bony arms to the young soldiers, though despite his slow and careful extension of them the soldiers can't help but notice that the hands retain scraps of rotting flesh under the fingernails, and are caked in dry blood only partially cleansed by the rain. The skulls on his belt clinking dangerously as He allows the shackles to snap shut around his wrists, which are barely thiner than his hands.
    Edit: (as in it is apparent that his hands can almost slip through the cuffs)
    Last edited by drack; 2010-08-14 at 10:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Nanoblack
    Spoiler
    Show

Amaryllis's eyes scan over the crowd. They are likely here in answer to Commander Golda's call to arms. Her eyes flick over the oversized warrior, then, a few seconds later, her brain registers the extreme oddity of his appearance. She weaves her way through the crowd, observing and attempting to recognize exactly who tht fat politician is.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (nobility and royalty(please tell me it applies to politics and politicians!)) to identify the man, his family ties, and his political stance. (1d20+7)[24]

13. - Top - End - #13

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    The men eye your odd anatomy for a moment but then begin to lead you toward the gates. You get loaded into a wagon along with several other forest dwelling humanoids, all looking worse for wear. After a moment it begins moving, all the passengers heads hanging sullenly.

@Adajea
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fat man is Alder Roth, and he's in charge of "foreign policy". His family owns more than a dozen shops within this city and many others in far-off colonies. He paid his way into politics, and while he isn't very good at most official government business, he is known for his skill in finding people. He is responsible for several recent "peaceful" surrenders due to him somehow being able to pinpoint important tribesman and have them eliminated.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

when I first enter I go for the darkest corner, and if anyone is there do they vacate their seat? Than I quietly wait out the trip.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate check(1d20+12)[14]
    Last edited by drack; 2010-08-16 at 08:04 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Nanoblack
    Spoiler
    Show

Amaryllis walks over and joins the group listening in to the conversation between Roth and whatever he was talking to. Eavesdropping, while frowned on as a whole, was a very useful skill to have sometimes.

16. - Top - End - #16

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[19]

The elf sitting in the corner looks at you like a dog kicked one too many times. He narrows his eyes at you but says nothing.

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    The two who were listening in before you glance in your direction, but pay no further attention.

"Look, I understand that you mercenary types have a way of doing things, but lately you haven't been showing any results. Boasting about how many "notches" are on your weapon isn't going to keep people behind us!" He pauses for a moment to wipe the sweat from his brow. "I need you to bring back proof of how savage these b*stards are. I don't care how you do it, just get it done."

"Since Golda started pushin' da borders, people 'ave been 'ard ta find. Dey hide in deir little holes an stick us when ar' backs ar' turned. Deeze panzy skirts(arcane casters) ya keep sendin' out wit' us ain't helpin' either.

Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-08-16 at 10:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

(fairly pathetic Intimidate check I got there )
    I sit down across from this Elf and pull the skulls of a cat and two rats off of my belt (second snake skeleton) and continue my ongoing moaning wail allowing all three to shatter one at a time , and land on the elf's lap. The instant they make contact they sink in healing one point of damage each (cure minor wounds)

Than I look the elf in the eyes and begin questioning him about the state of his people, how he was captured, who he is, and what he or his country folk are attempting to do. I begin this conversation with the snake translating I am a Medicine Man among my people. Pledged to heal the sick and wounded far to the north. I must know who are you? How where you captured? Are you going to attempt anything in retaliation, or are any of your people?

I attempt to take the sympathetic approach gathering information about local politics untrained, relying only on my unnatural charm. (1d20+4)[14]
    Edit: apparently 14 is my lucky number now
    Last edited by drack; 2010-08-16 at 10:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Nanoblack
    Spoiler
    Show

"Oh?" Amaryllis says, walking up to Roth and whatever he's talking to. "You don't care what is done, as long as you get your precious proof? If you have a hard time finding evidence of why, exactly, the so called savages deserve that title, perhaps you should consider the possibility that they aren't savages at all."

19. - Top - End - #19

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    He doesn't seem to understand anything in common.

Elven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He begins speaking in Elven: "The wretches from this mire of a country razed my village in the night and captured most of us before we could reach for our weapons. The others do not believe me, but I am sure of our Elders involvement in our moment of weakness."

Dwarven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I... not good in this... speak. Elven?"

Halfling:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The monsters from this horrible place attacked my village in the night and captured most of us before we could reach for our weapons. The others do not believe me, but I am sure our Elder betrayed us to the industrialists."

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    He looks at you, surprised but cold. "I don't believe we've met miss?"
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-08-17 at 07:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Nanoblack
    Spoiler
    Show

"Amaryllis Black." she says. Her tone is as cold as his.

21. - Top - End - #21

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well Miss Black, if you can point me to where you're seated in the delegation I'd be more inclined to listen to your opinion. As it stands however, you have neither the authority nor the experience required to comment on the matter."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why is everything but mine spoilers? Should I be using them more too?

The Medicine Man notes this fact and begins pondering how he will communicate with these people seeing as he only speaks in the whisper of Ka-Dul (though he understands almost all spoken languages). The Medicine Man only nods sympathetically prompting him with a gesture to continue as he pulls out five dead cats as any woman would take out her knitting, and begins preparing more cure minor wounds spells in order to show these pitiable presents that he is a "friend" before they are incarcerated. For additional security in his information gathering he presses a gold coin into the hands of the elf, though makes an obvious, though somewhat homely show of it making sure that others notice his generosity at hearing relevant news.

Than as if of it's own accord (though truly prompted by the Medicine Man despite his show of listening intently as the five cats shrivel and decay leaving only the pale bone exposed) the thin serpentine body of his translator snake raises it's head and asks if anyone speaks common aboard the wagon.

Note that preparing the cure minor wounds spells is an agonizingly slow process.

23. - Top - End - #23

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: The spoilers allow players to maintain knowledge that only their character would know thus making RP mistakes less likely)

The elf nods when you hand him the coin despite the confused look on his face, he then turns away in disgust when you pull out the cats. Most of the people sitting in the wagon seem to be from the same tribe, but none of them speak common as it is a language generally associated with the oppression of the industrialists.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Nanoblack
    Spoiler
    Show

"It is a matter of logic, nothing more. If there is no proof to support your conclusion, the chance that your conclusion is correct decreases. If you could tell me what proof you have, this discussion will be over. Until then, my point still stands."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Nano
    Spoiler
    Show
    I spend the rest of the trip shriveling, and dissolving all the flesh, and most of the bones off the cats, deciding that they probably don't feel much like talking, and after all I had gained some little information for my troubles.

26. - Top - End - #26

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    The trip is fairly short and immediately when the wagon stops, more guards show up to escort you to a separate chamber than the others. Waiting for you inside the room is a man in full plate, decorated with a good number of medals. There are several archers surrounding the perimeter of the room with loaded crossbows trained on you.

The door closes behind you and the man steps forward, offering you a handshake. "I apologize for the hostile environment, but you must understand that I've been attacked in here by dozens of foolhardy natives and we merely wish to quell any more attempts on my life. Now I've been told you have a message for me?"

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    He smiles; a grin of a man who thinks he's won. "Well I think I might have to perfect solution for you, young lady. You look like a bright little trailblazer, how about I have a talk with Golda and make it so you can experience nature at its finest right on the front lines?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Nano
    Spoiler
    Show
    The snake begins a slow translation of my never ending wails: Yes I have A message, and I can tell by the presence of bodyguards that you must be of some higher rank, but may I inquire to whom I am entrusting this information, name and rank?

The Medicine Man than takes a seat completely unfazed by the crossbows, and begins rubbing the top of a nearly unrecognizable canine skull.

Than continuing Also would these fine boys with their nice little wooden toys like to note that I am to serve in your regiments beside them, and that sometimes crosebows arn't the best way to make allies? At this a loud crack reverberates through the room leaving a long narrow crack along the skull, as if something where attempting to break through the skull, as one breaks through an egg.

Though of corse I understand why some people may need their company in orter to maintain civility. You than wouldn't mind than if I too had protection? Seeing as my physical form is somewhat more frail. The last of this is added with what almost sounded like sarcasm hollowed out and given a slightly serpentine taste to it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Lord Daemon Black stood before his sister's manor, shivering miserably in the oily rain and glaring at the cracked pavement. His feifdom being a largely uninhabited backwater, Daemon had once again been surprised by the greasy nightmare that was inner City weather. While the thick black overcoat he wore as a matter of habit blocked the rain very effectively, he had left his head uncovered, and his long black hair had been plastered down the back of the leather coat, drawing sharp attention to a prominent widow's peak.

Daemon doubled over for a moment, coughing violently, before straightening himself back up and making his way to the front door. This sort of braving the elements was without a doubt not helping his already dubious health, and he could already forsee a royally displeased Amaryllis in his future.

Quickly shuffeling under the doorway to avoid any more rain, Daemon began knocking on the door

Nano:
    Spoiler
    Show

I am assuming that Amaryllis would have a butler or something who could let Black in?

29. - Top - End - #29

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    "My name isn't important for what you have in mind. Though my rank as Chief POW Interrogator is definitely of some importance..." Seeing your calm, he takes a seat as well; across from you. "I'm about as high up in the ranks as you are going to reach in your position. Now, what is it that you have for me? Keeping in mind that it will be highly influential towards the outcome of this conversation."

@questionmark
    Spoiler
    Show
    The third time your hand connects with the door it creaks open and the familiar face of Amaryllis' elderly doorman urges you to come inside, out of the rain. Immediately you spot a note on one of the end-tables, signed by Amaryllis at the bottom. "Is there anything you'll be needing, Master Daemon?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Nanoblack
    Spoiler
    Show

Amaryllis raises her eyebrows. "Perhaps. I will consider your offer, however, I have duties to perform. I cannot abandon them to satisfy my curiosity." She already dislikes Roth and his patronizing attitude. Why does he feel a need to deflect my questions? What does he have to hide?