New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: --> Floating Arcana -- Epic IC <--

Arden

God's be damned I hate this city. Finn, what ha your lavatory done to my student?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

"I doubt my bathroom did this, thank you. I keep it clean. Or rather, pay someone to do that for me.
    I think this was either a portal, though that wouldn't explain the unconsciousness, or someone kidnapped her.
    New theory time: your esteemed archenemy wanted to get rid of her because someone else was after her?"
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Othoket: "Whatever the reason, I suggest we find her quickly."

Maekrix: "Agreed. Arden, can you get us to her?"

Even to you two, being familiar with Nurir doesn't change the fact that hearing him agree with himself is somewhat strange and unsettling.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Arden

"Not unless she stops moving, finding her is what the Status spell is for.

-------
    What level is Jancita?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

They sit and wait for five minutes as her status continues to report her as unconscious on the outlands... when her status degrades to dead and the spell fizzles out.

Finn starts heading for the back window "emergency exit" when Arden gets alert that Amalia's --his WIFE-- status has turned to Frightened.... she should be in the safety of the Floating Arcana..... She's escalated to Panicked only a moment later! This is moving VERY fast, and Arden is ANYTHING but hungry--

<no notes>
    Last edited by fil kearney; 2010-10-05 at 02:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Arden raises his hands and bellows in Draconic before charging through the door to FA.

-------------
    Limited Wish to be able to pass through the door. Deduct the appropriate amount from my XP.

What do I see when I get there.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Arden vanish in such a urry, Nurir turns to Finn, looking really very confused.

Maekrix: "What in the hells? Where did he go?"

---

I'm assuming the spell only targetted you?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post

---

I'm assuming the spell only targetted you?
    If fil will allow it I'll affect you two as well, that's up to him though.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Realizing Arden wished them all hungry-- the two quickly rushed in after their friend to home-- looking around quickly as they arrive in the back of the FA cafeteria kitchen... everything seemed quiet... blue sky near dusk, conveniently near dinner time.. some students in the nearby eating hall gave them a respectful wave at a distance-- but no immediate signs of danger.

Far overhead in the central tower Arden felt his wife's anxiety; in an utterance, they were in the private kitchen of the Headmaster's True Home. His wife sat at the breakfast table, holding her hands above an untouched coffee.
    "He just appeared. moments ago. By the stove."
    Her lower lip quivered as she tried to regain her stoic composure.
    "He didn't say anything. Just... his eyes. Gods, I couldn't stop him. he walked upstairs. I-- I think he's on the upper patio. I couldn't will myself to even follow him. "
    Last edited by fil kearney; 2010-10-05 at 06:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Othoket: "Who is 'he', Amalia?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It's Taar'akk, Othoket. I don't know why he's here.... I can't face him."
    she replies, still shaken.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Putting his hand on Arden's shoulder, Nurir whispers to him.

Maekrix: "I think you'd better handle this my friend. Finn and I will stay here with Amalia, don't worry."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Arden turns to Finn and Nurir.

"I beg one of you stay with my wife, I have nowhere safer to take her than here once was."

Arden silently casts Protection from Fire and then Dimension Doors to meet Tarrakk.

----------

Edit: Goddam Swordage, ruining my moment
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-10-06 at 11:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

"I'll go, you can do the wife-protecting. Not my area of expertise."
    Finn vanishes, in the approximate direction of where the enemy is supposed, but stopping short from the actual location, to sneak up on it. For a few second, a shadowy image of him stays behind, bowing politely to Amalia, then winking at Nurir, before vanishing as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Flee the Scene, then hide/move silently:

Hide: (1d20+65)[77]
    Move Silently: (1d20+55)[63]

Also, I should have the following things active anyway:
    Voidsense: 30ft. Blindsense
    See the Unseen: See Invisibility
    Devil's Sight: Improved Darkvision
    Assassin's Stance: 2d6 sneak attack

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking worryingly at the woman, Nurir thinks or a moment before speaking outlou., his voice changed to the two seperate ones before. Now he speaks as a combination of the two, clearly agreeing on the one course of action.

Nurir: "Come with us, Amalia. We need to get outside, so I can truly protect you if need be."

With that he beckons her to the stairs, going up to the gardens on top of the Floating Arcana to take his true form.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nurir led Amalia to the stairs, spiraling down towards the garden tier.. cover and obstructing towers would help minimize risk if things were to turn ugly.

Meanwhile; up in the opposite direction was the upper patio.
    Both Finn and Arden materialize in the doorway, across the short bridge to the top of the neighboring tower, very open and exposed to various points around the facility.

A shadowy figure leaned against the stone railing that enclosed the open space... he could be felt even from the 50 some feet from the door.
    As they both reoriented themselves at their new location, they could already feel their vision being squeezed by the pressure exerted during telepathy... the slippery feel of alien thoughts mixing with their own[11]--

Spoiler
    Show
    Will DC 36 to keep your own thoughts separated from his... this *should* be incredibly easy for Arden... Finn though-- if there is one thing that has probably kept him in league with the shadow fiends for this long is that it is incredibly difficult for him to keep this sort of violation at bay.
    Failure will result in becoming shaken as the fear effect... a bi-product of losing your own grip on Who You Are.

Taar'akk's identity intermingled with the thought tendrils as they sought reciprocity.
    "....Greetings...."
    In a flicker, it was evident that the Demon Prince had taken no malicious action towards Amalia. Her panic was the natural response to her mind connecting with someone of Taar'akk's power.
    "...still I shouldn't be here at all..."
    He concludes oily as he rides the thought.

In a quick flicker of emotions and impressions, It's Known that he was aware the same moment Arden was that Jancita was dead... and that this would make maintaining The Agreement terribly difficult. Shadowy reference to other Demon Princes "waiting in line" for Taar'akk to step aside... The last thing he wants is to forfeit his Agreement... but it requires she be here and alive.

The dizzyness from loose teleporting had subsided at this point.. if his intentions were hostile, the two friends would probably have already been dead, along with his wife, and likely half the inhabitants of FA.
    "... a third party has taken interest in sweet Jancita..."
    Last edited by fil kearney; 2010-10-08 at 12:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Spoiler
    Show

Will save:
    (1d20+21)[40]

Finn gives up his hiding spot and materializes, somehow revealing himself in plain sight, even though he wasn't visible before he moved a little.
    "Ha! I knew it!" he says, with a grin entirely inappropriate to the situation.
    "So, how much exemplar or petitioner blood is in here? Can she be raised by conventional means? How to we retrieve her body, if one exists? Can we fake her? Who will notice?"
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-10-07 at 05:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Arden's eyes are smouldering, that he dare come here is irreconcilable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (d20+34)[54]

"You knew full well Demon, that I would not offer our agreement so lightly, especially where my kin are involved. After all this time you still fail to grasp one of the most basic tenants of logic: better the evil you know. How dare you come here for your own sick amusement.

Arden feels rage boiling in him, Jancita's death flooding him with memories of Nara and the futility he had felt that day. Fighting back any display of emotion, lest it give the Demon some inhuman thrill, Arden spoke again.

"Our agreement remains unchanged. I will seek to reclaim Jancita and bring her here, if you have any useful information then divulge it now. If I should fail then we shall speak again; somewhere very far from here. Now say anything of use you have to offer, then get out of here before I bind your Soul to the Wall.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-10-08 at 01:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Demon strode calmly across the patio towards both Arden and Finn, the touch of his psyche in the back of their mind felt foreign and unwanted.
    Ignoring Arden's threats and Finn's humor, Taar'akk maintained his grin,
    "... You may verify this for yourself; the final prophesy her mother had before being destroyed was that Jancita is one of The Chosen to become a Magister... moreso, she has the potential of becoming the next Simbul of magic... If her soul is dispersed; the Simbul will move on to another unidentified vessel. Her death is a likely attempt to reroute a destiny-- either her's or the Simbul's. Whoever has killed her is not likely done with her yet...."
    answering the obvious, Taar'akk offered,
    ".. My stake has always been the considerable investment I have placed in molding her predisposition. The full manifestation of a neutral Simbul in the war between heavens and hells is a step of progress that will earn me unimaginable position in the Hells. She needs to be here to learn from her father what cannot be learned in my custody. Your tutelage means everything for both her and me...."

20. - Top - End - #80

"Yes, yes, she's important. Changing the planes. That's all great."
    Finn leans back against a nearby wall, eyeing the fiendish monstrosity. (That man had no taste: there was so much power to be gained without looking like a freak. He just hadn't tried hard enough, obviously).
    "But my question remains, and needs to be answered before we run off: can she even be brought back after she's been scribed?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Entering the open air, Nurir returns to his natural form, spreading his wings in pleasure.

Maekrix: "Ah, that's better! Now, climb on my back, I'll take you to safety in the event things go awry. Arden will contact us after this is over presumably."

Nurir lowers his back to allow Amalia on, spreading his wings in preparation for a long flight.

((If she climbs on he'll begin flying away from the FA at top speed - 275ft/sec ))

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amalia accepted The hand up from the dragon-- gripping tightly as he took flight, the two could see atop the nearby tower where Arden and Finn confronted the demon prince. ... they quickly sped away from the floating academy.

Glancing sideward, Taar'akk notes the dragon's departure,
    ".... IF you are unable to restore the girl's life, bring her here and I will be able to perform the task... but I'm confident your gods want her alive as much as I do..."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Arden

"If I bring her to you it will be a long way from here. Now if that's all the information you have to offer then leave my school immediately. Do not take me for a fool Tarrakk, I killed you once and I can do it again; your shield of divinity is strong, not impenetrable.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Maekrix, noting the demon's confrontation with his two friends, turns to face their direction and releases his mightiest roar accompanied by his fire breath, showing his clear disgust of the demon prince.

Othoket:"My apologies, Amalia, we have certain ... issues ... with that abomination. Now hold tight, we're going to cover a lot of distance in a very short time until Arden contacts us."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Arden hears the roar and can't help but secretly blast the impulsive nature of Dragons and wish Nurir wouldn't draw attention to himself while he's carrying his wife.

-----------------
    OOC: Nothing against you Niezck, just in case you thought that. He's just a mardy old man.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taar'akk gives the dragon a courteous wave from afar, and bows slightly to Arden,
    "... As you wish, Headmaster. Remember; I've set our agreement to make this the ONLY location in the 'verse free of demonic intrusion. That luxury is not enjoyed wherever she is... so whoever you find in possession of her-- Kill them. If this secret comes to light before she's ready.. we will have more trouble than either of us would ever wish upon each other. But if you find this too great a task, Just call my name and I'll help..."

The demon prince adruptly vanishes with a flick of his hand, the scent of leather and charcoal hanging in the air.
    Last edited by fil kearney; 2010-10-11 at 01:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Arden normally kept the tremors to himself after a meeting with Tarrakk, but the fear he had felt in his wife was beyond what he could hold in, even with Finn there (the truth was he honestly wasn't sure he could beat Tarrakk again; he had gotten complacent, and that needed to be rectified). Leaning against a wall he bowed his head and tried to steady his hands and breathing.

"Finn, can you contact Nurir and tell him to return. I need to reapply some defences here. If you need there should be a scroll of sending in the kitchen."

--------------------
    I know there's technically no scroll there, but if he uses it can you just take it out of my remaining Wealth.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-10-11 at 02:08 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Receiving Finn's sending spell, Nurir turns mid-flight and begins returning to the Floating Arcana at top speed, Amalia clinging tightly to his back.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Arden

Seeing Nurir return he embraces Amalia. After a minute he sends her down and tells her to call an emergency assembly of the staff to discuss the measures necessary to make sure this doesn't happen again, making sure to not spook the students.

He then turns to his allies. "This isn't your business so I won't take offence if you decline. I would have sought Jancita's soul anyway but this Simbul business is doubly worrying, if it ends up in the hands of someone like Tarakk bad things will happen.

He doesn't directly ask, his pride won't allow it but his tone says it all.

30. - Top - End - #90

Finn

With a serious expression on his face, Finn turns around.
    "No way, I'm getting involved in this. I won't let an opportunity like that slide: be an integral part in the education of the next Simbul, or let that creep do it?"
    He chuckles, humourlessly.
    "He is inefficient and wasteful, even if he is powerful. He made bad bargains. I shudder to think what he would do with the power of a Simbul. That's the kind of power you can't waste on people like him."