New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 83 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3358737475767778798081828384 LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #2461
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Artanis again narrowly misses the nearest thug as Nathros cuts down the second man facing him. Each now stands face to face with a single dagger-wielding tough.

A pair of thugs closes on Artanis from behind, and as Talsarios hurries to the alley entrance, he sees the half-dozen armed men closing on another figure, the identity of which cannot be seen in the dark alley. But their intent is clear.

Artanis finds himself flanked by a trio of men, two having come up behind him in the alley, but it is the original foe who manages to find another soft spot in his armor. Artanis falls to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    As noted in the OOC OP, we are using the "Keeping Characters Alive" variant rule. Characters dropped to below 0 hp do not die immediately. They do fall unconscious and must make a save vs. Death Ray every other turn (or when they take additional damage). Failure equals death.

Nathros finds himself rushed by the reluctant thug and the man's wild swing somehow manages to connect.

---
    Alanna stands behind and to the side of Nathros, out of the way of his swinging polearm. She can see that Nathros has been wounded, and she sees that the figure she assumes to be Artanis has fallen amidst a trio of assailants - maybe more.

---
    Mycah and Ash return to the mainland across the south bridge. Most of the inns lie north between the docks and the market square. The temple is also that direction, and the Bor's live north and far west. The pair heads that direction, noticing the wider streets and generous property around each building. There is far less activity on the streets here.

---
    Brandon's mother suggest that it is quite late, perhaps he could make his offering in the morning. Though if he persists, she suggests that he take a discreet blade and perhaps one of the hirelings he brought back from the caves, "to bear a torch and such."

Spoiler
    Show

Artanis -2 hp
    Nathros -4 hp

Tie for initiative. PCs should go ahead and declare their actions.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #2462
    Titan in the Playground

"You murderous dogs! Only the black hells await you now, and I will be glad to send you there!"

Spoiler
    Show

Nathros, Level Three Dwarf: AC 9(?); HP 13(9); THAC0 19.

Attack Roll: (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage Roll: (1d10+4)[9]

Last edited by Matthew; 2012-09-24 at 03:56 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #2463
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran pauses, then puts down his brush.

"Now is a good time, I reckon. We fought the gobbos indoors, but trying to paint them by candlelight isn't working very well. I'll want to paint them by sunlight tomorrow."

Bran summons one of the hirelings with a torch and measures out 50 gold pieces. He hesitates, eying the money, but puts on his armor and other gear anyway.

Then he and the torch-wielding hireling head out for the church. Bran walks in a relaxed fashion. Despite his precautions, this was his home town. He knew that there must be a criminal element somewhere, but he couldn't imagine anyone actually mugging him.

4. - Top - End - #2464
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, who had thought his earlier shoulder wound little more than a pin prick, suddenly began bleeding profusely as the next additional wound opened his earlier wound.

As his world began to fade, he strangely thought of his friends and family that he had left behind in an amused frame of mind.

Hm, I guess they were right about adventuring... Hello there Death. I guess you made my own dream come true by my own demise.

He then fell in a pool of his own blood, still clutching Solahel's hilt tightly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Save Vs. Death Ray 12: (1d20)[17]
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

5. - Top - End - #2465
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna squeals when she sees Artanis go down. Oh no, I hope he's not dead! If Nathros' swing connects, she dodges any splatters, wincing. She stands behind for the dwarf a few seconds, trying to decide what to do. Finally, when it seems the thugs are about to make another move, she rushes forward, holding her pouch of gold in the air.
    "Stop!" she cries. "I'll… I'll pay you! And I'll get him out of here and away from the fight… just let me help my friend!" She continues striding in Artanis' direction, looking everyone in the eye to show she's serious.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Should I make any sort of diplomacy check? If so, I'll roll in the OoC.
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2012-09-23 at 02:19 AM.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #2466
    Ogre in the Playground

"No! Murderers! It's the gallows for you all!" Talsarios cries, and casts Sleep, centred to miss the pleading priestess, but catch as many of the enemy as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    As I see it, there are six thugs just ahead of Talsarios, and they are only now arriving at the fight. There are only a couple of thugs where Artanis, Nathros and Alanna are. Talsarios is aiming primarily to get the six newcomers, but will catch any of the original thugs if he can.
    In any event, he will be aiming to get the largest group of enemies he can fit in a 40x40' area.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-09-23 at 02:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #2467
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Since she's probably not where everyone else is at this time, she and Mycah can continue to ask the local taverns and inns if they've seen any of their companions lately. If required, she can give a silver for the information, though she shouldn't likely have any trouble of that kind in the nicer ends of town. If Mycah knows the town well, he could show her where all these places are so that it wouldn't take as long. Since the inns mainly lay near the docks and the market, they'll start heading that way first.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Ash and Mycah are anywhere near to the alley fight while it's happening, she'd take her sword off of Mycah's side and rush in to help however she can (protecting Alanna as she goes to help Artanis would be most likely after a quick assessment).

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma check if required, DC11: (1d20)[12]
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-09-23 at 10:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #2468

Several inns are open late in the dock area.Ash has very little success gathering any information by her friends' names, but she gets a bit more information when locals recognize her as one of Bost's Ranger. Unfortunately, no one has heard of any of Bost's Rangers' whereabouts this evening, giving only days old information of having seen them or heard of them. They speculate that they young priestess is probably at the temple and the young Bor boy is likely out at the farm. The mage has been linked to Merlinda, whose tower is just outside of town. Little else is of use in the first several places, but Mycah and Ash continue to work their way south through the district.

---
    Brandon and his torch-bearer make their way through the farms and into town. The west side of town, outside the old wall, were very quiet, the town residents having mostly turned in at dusk.

---
    The murders take Artanis for dead, but the elf's will to live hold him a moment at the threshold. The three men nearest him do what thieves do, stripping him of valuables. One stomps on his hand and takes his great blade while another snatches his purse. A third struggles with his pack but gives up on it. They bolt toward Alanna, shoving past her and reaching the alley edge nearest Nathros.

The other four descend on Artanis like vultures to loot his body.

---
    Nathros strikes down the final thug facing him with another mighty blow of the Gray General's halberd.

Alanna had sidles around him and into the alley, hailing the murders to cease their attack.

---
    Talsarios finishes his spell and the four thugs around Artanis drop around him. A fourth, the one that struggled too long with Artanis' pack, falls as well.

---End of Round---
    Spoiler
    Show
    Foes win initiative

The two thugs veer left away from Nathros and his bloody polearm and sprint east toward the docks.

Spoiler
    Show
    PCs turn.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-09-23 at 11:18 PM.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #2469
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros hurls his hand axe, if he has it to hand (pun intended), after the fleeing thugs.

Spoiler
    Show

Nathros, Level Three Dwarf: AC 9(?); HP 13(9); THAC0 19.

Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[16]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[7]

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

10. - Top - End - #2470
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gosh! It's you!" As the sleeping foes fall to the floor, Talsarios is surprised to see who he's just aided.
    He runs over to Artanis and presses his hands on the worst of his wounds, trying to staunch the flow. "Alanna! Help!" he calls.

11. - Top - End - #2471
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, despite his fragile nature, refused to give in to Death's call without a fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since you said every other round, I don't believe I need to roll for this round.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

12. - Top - End - #2472

"I know!" says Alanna rapidly, taking a place at Artanis' side and fumbling with the magical trinket around her neck, since it's late at night and she knows he needs the more powerful healing. For a brief, terrifying moment, she's not sure how to use it, but her panic soon abates as she feels a warmth spreading up her fingers, and she just knows how to make use of its powerful healing powers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Serious Wounds: (2d6+2)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #2473
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash has made sure to correct each person's assumption on the name "Bost's Rangers" and clarifies that it's the "Vigilant Companions".

She'd make mention of the dwarf and the elf, as they'd obviously stand out more. Hopefully that'd get her better information. "You really can't miss these guys. They stand out. They're covered in armor and weapons." If they really just haven't seen them, then she won't keep pressing. She'll shrug at Mycah if nothing turns up.

She plans to go to the temple next, but she may bump into Brandon or something along the way if they're headed through the same areas.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fresh Alertness roll, DC13: (1d20)[6]

14. - Top - End - #2474

Down on the docks, they've seen the armored elf, but have no idea where he's staying. When Ash gets close enough to the southside of the docks, she finds someone who knows that her dwarven friend is staying at The Nut.

---
    Talsarios and Alanna kneel over the fallen Artanis attempting to give aid. Alanna's spell is successful and Artanis revives, the fog of near death slowly fading.

---
    Nathros' aim is true, but the men, having sprinted away, are out of range, and down another dark alley.

---
    Brandon and his newly hired man arrive at the temple without incident. They are greeted by a sleepy acolyte, who ushers them in from the street. "How can we help you this evening, gentlemen?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Foes win initiative. The last of the conscious thieves duck down an alley as noted above.

Artanis has a round of reviving but can act next round and will have full hp.
    Forum Rules

15. - Top - End - #2475
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash and Mycah will check out the Nut for Nathros then. "I've hear a hearty dwarf by the name of Nathros has been staying here. He is part of my group, the Vigilant Companions, formerly known as Bost's Rangers. Could you tell me where I might find him?" She could offer a silver if pressed for it.

16. - Top - End - #2476
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis took a shuddering breath of life.

It seems my time has not yet come.

He began to get up, slightly surprised to not have any pain, unaware that his wounds had been completely mended.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

17. - Top - End - #2477
    Ogre in the Playground

As Artanis struggles back to life, Talsarios suddenly hugs Alanna - briefly. "I thought he was going to die," he gulps.
    He looks a little sheepish as he lets her go, and sets about carefully and meticulously binding the sleeping thugs.
    "We should get off the street to some safer place," the scholar says. "Can we trust the watch here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios will use the thugs' own belts if he has to. He is very careful not to wake them up.

18. - Top - End - #2478
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Now that they are back together, Mycah quickly falls back to his old habit of letting Ash take the obvious lead and follows along offering what aid and advice he can. He is young yet, so hasn't spent too much time outside of Bost's lumber camps and isn't overly familiar with the inns and taverns in town. He'll mention the few he knows of, by either personal experience or reputation, but nothing concrete comes of their questioning.

He's encouraged when they finally find out that Nathros is apparently staying at The Nut, and waits for the barman's answer once they make their inquiry.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm back, and should be around all week to keep up in the game!

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

19. - Top - End - #2479
    Titan in the Playground

"A fine mess. More corpses for the graveyard and prisoners for the dungeons, like as not they will soon be overflowing. We had best present these to Lord Bost before we are marked as murderers."

20. - Top - End - #2480
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran greets the acolyte, "Good evening. Sorry for visiting so late, but I'm here to offer tribute to the Immortals, especially the one called Petra."

"I was very near death from a goblin attack, but my friend the cleric Stefan Reinhardt saved my life. He serves Petra, so I'm grateful to him and to her."

He holds up a small pouch of clinking coin.

21. - Top - End - #2481

Alanna laughs a little at Nathros' rather grim comment. "It looks like we're gonna be marked as thieves, too -- we've got to get Artanis his sword back!" She thumps the elf good-naturedly on the shoulder, but pulls her hand away and shakes it, mouthing the word "ow!" Remember, he's wearing armor and you're not.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #2482

Brandon's generous offer, regardless of the shade of the coin inside the pouch, startles the acolyte. He ushers Brandon into the large sanctuary and guides him into a vestibule decorated in honor of Queen Petra. Her shield and warhammer icon decorates each sidewall and a painting of the Immortal herself standing protectively between her faithful and some unseen evil. The offering plate and several candles rest on a sturdy table. Brandon's offering can be made in peace.
    ---

"Oh he's 'round back in the bar, I'd wager," says the young man manning the front desk of the inn. He gestures to a hallway that leads to the bar. Ash and Mycah follow the hallway into a very fine tavern with a diverse array of patrons, most of them pressed against the windows or peaking out the door at the far wall. The barkeep remains at the bar, but every other soul in the place has left his seat to press against the far wall for a look.

---

Artanis vision clears and breath comes more naturally after a moment. The men are bound by Talsarios using whatever comes to hand.

---

The yelling seems to have attracted the attention of the guard, and a quartet of armed and liveried men arrive with swords drawn and lanterns raised. "What is the meaning of this disturbance?"

A second guardsmen less focused on the living takes in the carnage and mutters despite himself, "Blessed Immortals!"
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #2483
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis came to his senses fully on the mention of Solahel being stolen.

'Tis true! I must go after my blade! I... I must repay this debt... undoubtedly it was the cleric that brought me from the brink as I can see none of my wounds or feel them for that matter.

He raised himself to one knee so that he could properly kneel in front of Alanna.

"My thanks for saving my life. I owe to you the same life that was given to me. The search for Solahel can wait."
    He felt a stab of pain upon saying those unfamiliar words.
    "My sword arm is at thy beck and call."

He pointedly ignored the gaurds that had come until he had recieved Alanna's response.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2012-09-26 at 01:02 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

24. - Top - End - #2484
    Ogre in the Playground

"Greetings, officer," Talsarios says, standing up with a solemn smile. "I am Alastor Talsarios, and this is Nathros - we are both of Lord Bost's Rangers, lately returned from avenging the lost miners over yonder, and previously involved in the re-taking of the goblin-infested tower, last fortnight." He gestures in the correct directions.
    "Nathros and our ally, Artanis were set upon by several thugs wielding daggers. I saw the ruffians from the market place where I was earlier, and gave chase, using a Sleep spell to put a stop to the fight. Alanna, a priestess of our acquaintance, has been able to revive Artanis through the blessing of the Immortals, but as you can see from the wide pool of blood, had we not intervened, he would surely have been killed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios speaks openly and honestly, with as much gravitas as he can quickly summon.
    Persuasion - (1d20)[8] (DC = 10)
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-09-26 at 07:37 AM. Reason: correcting spelling

25. - Top - End - #2485
    Titan in the Playground

"Twelve of these damnable 'fangs' set upon our elvish companion this night; we slew five and captured a like number, but two got away with his purse and sword. I was enjoying a drink in a tavern nearby when I heard the affray and was compelled to intervene. No doubt some of the patrons there can verify my account, I am rarely known to drink alone. Either way, we will answer to Lord Bost."

26. - Top - End - #2486
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

As the young man at the counter verifies that Nathros is, indeed here, Mycah grins at Ash. "Finally! Who'd have though it would be so difficult to track down someone in a town this size? Let's go see what he's doing. Other than drinking that is."

Upon entering the bar room, he takes in the scene, and the crowd peering so intently out the door and windows into the street. "What's going on?" he asks the barkeep, even as he looks for Nathros in the crowd.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

27. - Top - End - #2487

Alanna chuckles lightly at Artanis' display of thanks.
    "Oh, you're so sweet! It's the Immortals who really deserve our thanks -- without their grace, I'm nothing but a silly girl wearing funny robes!" She gestures at herself before continuing, "Speaking of which, I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to 'repay' me if we get into any fights trying to get your sword back, which I'm guessing we'll do as soon as possible, maybe even before I get back to the temple!"
    She doesn't say anything to the guards, as everything she feels necessary to communicate has already been said by her vigilant companions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #2488
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis was slightly quizzical about her light-hearted response but did not let it show.

"Then carry my thanks to them. For I am honor-bound to you, not them."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

29. - Top - End - #2489
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash peers past the patrons' to see what they're looking at, but she already has a few guesses.

"I'll bet it's something to do with Nathros. If there was action and a good reason, he'd be there in it.

Suddenly her voice sounds alarmed and focused, "Let's hurry. He may need our help." With that, she swiftly reaquires her sword off Mycah's side and bolts out the nearest exit (Mycah likely in tow) to find her Vigilant Companions as fast as possible.

Motherly concern has taken over.
    What if he died - ?

30. - Top - End - #2490

The patrons of The Nut are mostly oblivious to Ash and Mycah, but the barkeep notices them and hears Ash's query. "A fight, I think, but I'm not leavin' the bar so some fool can sneak back here and snatch a bottle. Guard'll sort it out soon enough."

---
    From the moment he mentions Bost's Rangers, Talsarios has the guard's attention. The man seems impressed by Talsarios' words. The sharp-eyed man took in each of the people as Talsarios named them and listened to Nathros' addition with a series of nods indicating the sense of it.
    "Fair enough, then. We'll take these prisoners and make a report."

He signals two of the men to round up the prisoners while the last man keeps watch.

"A dozen Fangs at once strains the mind a bit, though. But if that's what they are, you've made quite a catch. We'll see that you get credit and whatever spoils they may have. You should report to your Lord as you suggest, and I'm certain he will vouch for your actions," he motions his men to move out, "including the use of spells and large weapons inside the city."

---
    Even armed and motivated, Ash struggles to push through the crowd at the far wall, mostly because they are intent on the action outside and fail to notice armed warrior woman at they back. Eventually, she pushes through and it is like a breaking dam; Ash mostly leads them, but the patrons of the Nut flood out into the street to get a better look. Mycah finds himself caught up in the rush, but manages to nimbly step out of it and into the street to get a better view of things.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-09-26 at 10:30 PM.
    Forum Rules