New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Sometimes inordinately cool images pop up on the chan boards; this perhaps moves it away from the abyss and cesspit that it is.

Cobalt, clearly you should've donated your oreos to science; and when I say science, I mean give them to a friend or an acquaintence or perhaps to a homeless person, and watch their faces light up in joy and incredible happiness.
    And then watch them attempt to eat it.
    Perhaps also take photographs for "evidence".
    Last edited by Amiel; 2010-10-17 at 06:55 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Banned

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Good man! Neither would I.

ION: I'm currently working on something for my comic and I'm doing something I've never done before....

I'm drawing OOTS style figures from angles and from behind.
    If (heaven forbid) there is a next time for this, I found it much easier to work out the rough outlines by doodling and only start computer work when I had a good idea of the necessary shapes. All that I learnt of perspective is, apparently, stored in the muscle memory of grasping a pen. No way I could have fumbled my way to this pose purely while grasping a mouse.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Personally, I'm just going to keep on Remembering that Affect is a Verb and Effect a Noun.

Except when used to mean "to bring into being".
    Which is why I love using the meanings of "affect" that are nonic (THIS IS A WORD THAT I MAYBE MADE UP) and the meanings of "effect" that are verbacious (THIS IS ANOTHER WORD I MAYBE MADE UP)
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    ...I am not quite sure what is going on in this picture, but it is delightfully causing me to go insane.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

This is going to surprise a few people: 15 items or less is correct.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    That's funny, because we were just going over fewer and less last week in English, and we were assured that that was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

7. - Top - End - #1087

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    That's funny, because we were just going over fewer and less last week in English, and we were assured that that was wrong.
    Show them that video then.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Show them that video then.
    I. Uh. I'm honestly not THAT interested/don't want to look like a brown-nose.

9. - Top - End - #1089

I. Uh. I'm honestly not THAT interested/don't want to look like a brown-nose.
    Bah.

ION: Best. Costume idea. Ever.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What? Being a Grandma?

11. - Top - End - #1091

What? Being a Grandma?
    You completely and totally missed the point.

12. - Top - End - #1092

On the other hand, she used "usage" so I'm going to have to contradict her in every way possible.

TWENTY DOLLARS OR FEWER
    LESS IS FOR COUNTABLE FEWER IS FOR OTHER STUFF IS ACTUALLY A RULE
    FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE OR LESS...ER
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-10-17 at 08:50 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You completely and totally missed the point.
    Which was? The fact that THEY gave out candy?

14. - Top - End - #1094

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    On the other hand, she used "usage" so I'm going to have to contradict her in every way possible.

TWENTY DOLLARS OR FEWER
    LESS IS FOR COUNTABLE FEWER IS FOR OTHER STUFF IS ACTUALLY A RULE
    FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE OR LESS...ER
    That's a pity, as usage is actually a word. Also, that "rule" has only been attempted to be instituted in the last couple of hundred years, whereas the interchangeable usage of those words far predates it. It's like trying to make the plural of octopus, octopi.

Which was? The fact that THEY gave out candy?
    Still missing the point entirely.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Still missing the point entirely.
    Spock? WHAT IS IT MAN!

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ogre in the Playground

To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

17. - Top - End - #1097

That's a pity, as usage is actually a word.
    We've... we've been over this. I happen to detest the word "usage" regardless of the fact it's "a real word". This is for many reasons, including the fact it looks awful, sounds horrible; is, according to that very site, confused with the noun "use" often enough that we don't need it, and it makes you sound like the sort of person who just adds "-age" on the end of verbs that are also sometimes nouns because you can't handle initially stressed syllables.

I just hate that word. Hate. That. Word. To me, someone seriously trying to use the word "usage" is a bit like them punching me in the face. Repeatedly.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-10-17 at 09:28 AM.
    BANG → !

18. - Top - End - #1098

The differences in meaning are so subtle that differentiating them with different words is pointless, the differences in sound/spelling is so subtle that differentiating them with different words is difficult, and they are misused so often as to dilute their separate meanings.

It won't be long before only purists give a darn.
    As far as I'm concerned, the differences are perfectly simple and easy. Not my fault if other people can't keep up.
    Hint: I'm a purist.

Haha! Vindicated!
    I've been saying basically that ever since I discovered that was a common grammatical quibble. Only I didn't have the knowledge of linguistic history to back it up.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

19. - Top - End - #1099

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the differences are perfectly simple and easy. Not my fault if other people can't keep up.
    Hint: I'm a purist.
    How do you spell apron?

20. - Top - End - #1100

How do you spell apron?
    apron
    Like that.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

21. - Top - End - #1101

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Like that.
    So, in other words, you're not a purist, you're a hypocrite . A true purist would spell it napron, apron is a misspelling and bastardisation.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amiel View Post
    [snip]
    That Funny.

You Should Post More Funny Pictures.

Sorry For Talking In All Bold Capitals But Cealocanth Lost Duck Duck Goose.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

23. - Top - End - #1103

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    That Funny.

You Should Post More Funny Pictures.

Sorry For Talking In All Bold Capitals But Cealocanth Lost Duck Duck Goose.
    THAT'S NOT TYPING IN CAPITALS, That's Typing In Title Case.

24. - Top - End - #1104

So, in other words, you're not a purist, you're a hypocrite . A true purist would spell it napron, apron is a misspelling and bastardisation.
    I think there's a difference between "person who asks others how they spell words which have an archaic alternate spelling just to point and laugh when they use the modern spelling" and "person who uses the correct version of 'affect' and 'effect'". Let's discuss this another time.

See, it's funny because "discuss" has the oft-forgotten meaning of "to consume enthusiastically", so I was actually saying we should eat this issue. Which is in turn funny because it's an abstract thing that can't be eaten and we'd die! Ahahaha.

THAT'S NOT TYPING IN CAPITALS, That's Typing In Title Case.
    's amusing because as the admin you should know how the software turns any ALL CAPS post into just title case.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-10-17 at 09:50 AM.
    BANG → !

25. - Top - End - #1105

I think there's a difference between "person who asks others how they spell words which have an archaic alternate spelling just to point and laugh when they use the modern spelling" and "person who uses the correct version of 'affect' and 'effect'".
    This. Napron still found as late as late 16c. 'Affect' and 'Effect' are still in use now.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #1106

I think there's a difference between "person who asks others how they spell words which have an archaic alternate spelling just to point and laugh when they use the modern spelling" and "person who uses the correct version of 'affect' and 'effect'".
    There is no difference in this case, I'm pointing out that it is not the purists that choose the spelling or meaning of a word, it is defined by popular usage. Darn, I like the word usage, and I am going to make sure to include it as much as possible.

The correct spelling was "a napron", but this was misspelt so many times as "an apron", that napron has since been dropped from dictionaries. I fully expect that affect and effect will go the same way.

i.e. It is the "other people that can't keep up" that define the usage of the words, not the purists.

's amusing because as the admin you should know how the software turns any ALL CAPS post into just title case.
    Ah, yes, I forgot about the lameness filter.

27. - Top - End - #1107

Darn, I like the word usage, and I am going to make sure to include it as much as possible.
    Now I'm not very good at this whole "not making people hate you" thing, but I'm pretty sure deliberately doing something that someone just likened to "punching [them] in the face" as much as possible and then making it clear that's your intention is not a very good way to go about it. Just a thought.
    BANG → !

28. - Top - End - #1108

Now I'm not very good at this whole "not making people hate you" thing, but I'm pretty sure deliberately doing something that someone just likened to "punching [them] in the face" as much as possible and then making it clear that's your intention is not a very good way to go about it. Just a thought.
    I'm not doing it to spite you, I'm doing it because it is both correct and I prefer it. Usage is a wonderful word and should be used more often.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Barbarian in the Playground

But being excessively pedantic about the, ah, usage of a certain word is an amazing way.
    Last edited by Phaedra; 2010-10-17 at 10:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1110

I'm not doing it to spite you, I'm doing it because I prefer it. Usage is a wonderful word and should be used more often.
    And I'll believe that when you don't make it sound like you're being spiteful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    But being excessively pedantic about the, ah, usage of a certain word is an amazing way.
    Expressing my distaste for a particular word and then being bombarded with people using it seemingly deliberately just to annoy me is my fault?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-10-17 at 10:09 AM.
    BANG → !