New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Gorgon, the whole "take the class five times" thing is awkward. It's inelegant. It's confusing to new players. Why not just make it a five level class? It's not like they need to take every level or anything. It's the same thing, but prettier.
    I donno, boss, it seems pretty simple to me: you can take the class again and again. Stop overthinking it! There's nothing complex about it, and I think you're misusing the word elegant there. My version is elegant. Yours is simple and practical, and, if I may say so, quite foot-in-the-door.
    Also, have you considered that many DMs force their players to take all levels of a PrC to prevent dipping? I don't want it to have the vibe of a 5 level class, I want it to be a class you can take multiple times.
    Does anybody else have input on the 5 level vs. 1 level class issue? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    What is the fraction though? If you posted it somewhere, I didn't see it.
    Fraction? What fraction?
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Fraction? What fraction?
    If the DM is to use fractional BAB, we need to know what fraction to base the class off of, since right now it could be 1/2 or 3/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

If the DM is to use fractional BAB, we need to know what fraction to base the class off of, since right now it could be 1/2 or 3/4.
    I said, it was in the new rules, 1st post. 1/2, in this case.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Being able to take one level 5 times doesn't really seem consistent with the other classes. So, I'm going to vote for 5 just for the sake of consistency.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Being able to take one level 5 times doesn't really seem consistent with the other classes. So, I'm going to vote for 5 just for the sake of consistency.
    Ooooh, boy. If there's going to be 5 levels, I'll need a capstone.

6. - Top - End - #276

They evolve into Umbreon?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

How about something to protect against turning?

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

You don't have to, I'm just saying that it'd be inconsistent.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

They evolve into Umbreon?
    Oooooh.... you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    How about something to protect against turning?
    Eh. Meh.

You don't have to, I'm just saying that it'd be inconsistent.
    I know, but... I think I might. If another chimes in against the one level, I'll change it. Normally I'm against the democratization of art & sciences and such (Enemy of the People is an excellent play, by the way), but in this case, it's a community project, and its success based on how many people like it, so I'd have to bow to the common crowd. >.<
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-09 at 01:56 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any abilities in D&D based around gathering knowledge? That seems to be what Illurien is based around but she doesn't really have any abilities based on that.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Are there any abilities in D&D based around gathering knowledge? That seems to be what Illurien is based around but she doesn't really have any abilities based on that.
    Pssst! Archivist!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Pssst! Archivist!
    I apologize that I've never looked at a class I've never planned on using

13. - Top - End - #283

Have you SEEN her Knowledge check modifiers? HAVE YOU?

My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Have you SEEN her Knowledge check modifiers? HAVE YOU?
    Yes, but I want some abilities based on it other than skill checks.

15. - Top - End - #285

It's implied in her fluff that her int-draining attack causes her to gain the memories of her victims. Maybe something can be done with that? Dark Knowledge (Archivist) might also be a good fight, as might some kind of ability that lets her use her Knowledge in place of, say, a Spellcraft roll to identify a spell, or maybe a Disguise roll to impersonate a noble or something.

My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #286
    Pixie in the Playground

Might be able to start working this again, but right now university and approaching examinations keep me pretty busy. Maybe after them I could try something.

Evolved Undead:
    # As it seems to be already said, it might be easier to change it to 5 level PCR, for the bab and saves particularly. However, these an't big deal, as it works well the way it already is.
    # Evolved Flight: How about if the Undead is already capaple of flight, that was not equal to land speed and average maneuverability? So maybe just change text for double flight speed and one step increasement on maneuverability?
    # Evolved Hunt: Same here, what if the Undead already had burrow and swim speed from another source? Nothing, or speed improvement?

With that all said I think the class is really good.
    Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

I apologize that I've never looked at a class I've never planned on using
    Never? Are you kidding? It's, like, the only cool prepared caster!
    Anyways, the Marrutact had Dark Knowledge essentially identical to it. Also, knowledge devotion is always good.

Trenelus: Hmmm... well, you're not likely to encounter that, for the flight. Either way, it shouldn't be broken... but I'll specify on the climb/burrow.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Never? Are you kidding? It's, like, the only cool prepared caster!
    I literally knew only 2 things about it.

It's considered tier 1
    It's in heroes of horrors.

Doesn't add up to "I MUST PLAY THIS NAO!"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

I literally knew only 2 things about it.

It's considered tier 1
    It's in heroes of horrors.

Doesn't add up to "I MUST PLAY THIS NAO!"
    Well, okay, granted the only 2 good things in heroes of horror are its base classes, but the dread necromancer is cool, why can't the archivist be cool? It's for all of us who want to play a grim scholar, as opposed to a "I throw my fireball!" scholar.
    Anyways, that's all irrelevant: check out the marrutact's knowledge abilities, check out knowledge devotion.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, okay, granted the only 2 good things in heroes of horror are its base classes, but the dread necromancer is cool, why can't the archivist be cool? It's for all of us who want to play a grim scholar, as opposed to a "I throw my fireball!" scholar.
    Anyways, that's all irrelevant: check out the marrutact's knowledge abilities, check out knowledge devotion.
    The highlighted is not really considered core nor OGL. So why would that be allowed and MoI not?
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I liked fiend blooded. The only problem is the entry requirements which don't matter in my games (All skills are considered class skills. I'm the one that makes the sheets so anything that makes the job easier is going to be implemented)

Doesn't matter though as I don't have any spontaneous casters that would take the class.

I've looked at the marrutact's ability and will look at knowledge devotion tomorrow. I really need to get to bed. Too many episodes of mythbusters followed by Bender's game (which was pretty funny)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, I guess the water elemental is finished. I'm not sure how good or balance it is; but at this point it just needs to be fixed not completed. It's really late and it probably shows but I'm going to sleep now...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trenelus View Post
    ...Titan
    The newest version looks better, but still could use some trimming.

# The order of features should be checked, they seem to be out of order.
    Eh? Which ones specifically?
    # All other creatures keep their alignment sub types, even if their alignment changes, or is different from the begining. Titans should too retain that.
    Didn't know that. Done.
    # What languages they speak? These should be specified in the Titanic Body feature. Perhaps Common, Giant and the third depending on your starting alignment (good = Celestial, neutral = Dragonic & evil = Abyssal)?
    I've never mentioned languages in any other classes, and I haven't seen them in anyone else's. Why this one specifically?
    # How about making a list or table of ability incresements. It would help a lot to keep track of them, especially if would start with higher level character.
    Look at Pit Fiend or Fire Giant, for example.
    I had a table, I was told to not use it. But ok.
    # Swat: ok, but you shoud maybe rename it, like "Give ya' a LIFT"
    I'll consider it.
    # Skin of the Titan: Might be nitpicking, but usually only creatures that are specifically resistant to magic should have SR: 10+hd+ability score. However, as Titan gains only +4 to Cha, it does not seem to be really unbalancing.
    Ok. I'm going to keep it, otherwise it's another dead level I need to fill, but if people think it needs to go and can come up with a replacement then tell me.
    # Titan Battle Style: +HD to damage seems quite a lot, with that ½hd strength bonus particularly big, with possible high multiplier crit weapon.
    When you combine that with feature to penetrate DRs it seems unreasonably high. The damage alone should make it easy to cut throught from anything one might need to. Consider removing it.
    Or perhaps replacing it with feature to use both melee abd SLAs on the same round. Perhaps when using battle style weapon and scoring critical (even on threath?) Titan could use one of it's SLAs as swift action? Ability score/Fixed times per day? Maybe limit what spells could be used this way?
    I'll replace the first TBS with the ability to us an SLA as a Swift action on scoring a critical threat.
    # Action economy starts to important at higher levels, and as combat healing is often seeing as a waste of time, maybe Titan could be allowed to use his cure spells as swift action, but only when using them for himself? Call that "Just a Flesh Wound" or something.
    At Level 11 there is now the Unstoppable ability, lets him use his CXW SLA on himself as a Swift action.
    # And the capstone, Suprime Titanic Magic: I think with the current wording, it does nothing, as you have no SLAs with 1/round limitation. So it at least needs cleared out what it does.
    That was supposed to be 1/HD each day, not 1/round because those are the SLAs the original Titan could use at-will.
    # Titan magic: These are much, much easier to read now, good work.
    Consider possible changes (nothing especially wrong, just suggestions):
    Remove Curse loses it's point with greater dispel magic, so how about upgrading it to Break Enchantment, for some use at higher levels. Maybe even cutting on the uses, as even 1 day/ for every 2 HD should be more than enough (I hope, as then you are in big troubles). Same goes for Bestow Curse, about the uses.
    Levitate might be able to switch for Fly
    As with all SLAs I was going on source material. Since Gorgon gave a blanket approval for your suggestions I'll do those.
    Firestorm should be cut down, to at most 1 day/ every 2 HD, maybe even to every 4 HD? Titan is already cable to do alot of damage.
    Same as above.
    Word of Chaos might be increased to 1 day/ every 3-5 HD, and make it work for even non-chaotic Titans. Compere to Pit fiend and Balor, for example.
    Meh, if a Titan has turned Lawful, being able to use Word of Chaos seems a bit silly. I'll add Dictum as an option for Lawful Titans.
    Maze could use few extra uses, for 1 day/ every 5-6 HD?
    Meteor Swarm for 1 day/ every 5-7 HD?
    Greater Restoration/Crushing Hand for 1 day/ every 4-7 HD?
    Again following source material. I'll up these.

Also upped Gate uses and added the proviso from Wish SLAs saying if you want to use the Calling power rather than the travel one they have to pay the XP cost.

I also reduced their Con bonus to alternate with Cha because they get enough already.

Hope that find any use for this. Overall, I like it.
    Cheers.

Anything else anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Titan

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: d8
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1|+1|+2|+0|+0|Titanic Body, Titanic Strength, Titanic Magic (Least)
    2|+2|+3|+0|+0|Brute Force
    3|+3|+3|+1|+1|Titan Battle Style (Damage)
    4|+4|+4|+1|+1|Skin of the Titan (DR/Magic)
    5|+5|+4|+1|+1|Growth (Large)
    6|+6|+5|+2|+2|Skin of the Titan (SR), Titanic Magic (Lesser)
    7|+7|+5|+2|+2|Bonus Feat
    8|+8|+6|+2|+2|Change Shape
    9|+9|+6|+3|+3|Titan Battle Style (Full Attack)
    10|+10|+7|+3|+3|Growth (Huge)
    11|+11|+7|+3|+3|Titanic Magic (Intermediate), Unstoppable
    12|+12|+8|+4|+4|Skin of the Titan (DR/Lawful)
    13|+13|+8|+4|+4|Swat
    14|+14|+9|+4|+4|Bonus Feat
    15|+15|+9|+5|+5|Skin of the Titan (SR+Cha)
    16|+16|+10|+5|+5|Titanic Magic (Greater)
    17|+17|+10|+5|+5|I'll be back!
    18|+18|+11|+6|+6|Titan Battle Style (Overcome DR)
    19|+19|+11|+6|+6|Get to da choppa!
    20|+20|+12|+6|+6|Skin of the Titan (DR/Epic & Lawful)
    21|+21|+12|+7|+7|Bonus Feat, Supreme Titanic Magic[/table]

Class Skills: 4+Int Mod (x4 at first level) Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (any one), Listen, Perform, Sense Motive, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim.

Proficiencies: Titans are proficient with their own natural attacks, as well as all simple and martial weapons. They are proficient with light, medium & heavy armour but not shields.

Class Features:

Titanic Body (Ex): At first level the Titan loses all racial traits and features and gains the Outsider traits. It gains the Chaotic subtype, as well as the Native subtype when on a Chaos aligned Plane and the Extraplanar subtype when anywhere else.
    It is medium sized and has a base land speed of 30ft.
    It gains a primary Slam attack that deals 1d4+Str Mod damage, and a natural armour bonus equal to it's Con Mod.
    At each level the Titan gains a bonus to one or more Stats, as shown on the table below:

{table]Level|Str|Con|Cha
    1|+1||
    2||+1|
    3|+1||
    4|||+1
    5|+1||
    6||+1|
    7|+1||
    8|||+1
    9|+1||
    10||+1|
    11|+1||
    12|||+1
    13|+1||
    14||+1|
    15|+1||
    16|||+1
    17|+1||
    18||+1|
    19|+1||
    20|||+1
    21|+1||
    Total|+10|+5|+5[/table]

Titanic Strength (Ex): Titans have the Powerful Build quality. When they increase in size via the abilities of this class (but not from any other means) Powerful Build increases too.

Titanic Magic (Sp): Magic flows in the blood of Titans, and as such they can utilise many spell-like abilities. Spell-likes are gained at the HD shown on the table below and may be used as many times as shown. The Titanic Magic level shown (Least, Lesser, Intermediate, Greater) is the ability level that you require before being able to use those spell-likes.

Brute Force (Ex): A Titan's raw strength is their biggest asset. Titans may use their Str Mod instead of the usual one on Disable Device, Open Lock, Intimidate & Survival checks.

Titan Battle Style (Ex): Titans train from birth with weapons far bigger than normal for most races. Thanks to their Powerful Build they can use weapons of this size without penalty, and only when using a masterwork weapon (excluding natural weapons) one size bigger than themselves do they gain the benefits of this ability.
    - At third level when a Titan threatens a Critical Hit they may use one of their SLAs that is useable 1/HD each day (or at will if they have the Supreme Titanic Magic ability) as a Swift action, provided they haven't used their Swift/Immediate action for that round already.
    - At ninth level they may make a full-attack as a standard action.
    - At eighteenth level they may overcome 1 point of DR per Titan level, regardless of what would normally overcome it (if it is DR/- then they ignore 1 point/2 Titan levels).

Skin of the Titan (Ex): The magic inherent within Titans grants them potent protection.
    - At fourth level they gain DR/Magic equal to half their HD.
    - At sixth level they gain Spell Resistance equal to 10+HD.
    - At twelfth level their DR becomes DR/Lawful.
    - At fifteenth level they gain +Cha Mod to their Spell Resistance.
    - At twentieth level their DR becomes DR/Epic & Lawful.

Growth (Ex): At fifth level the Titan grows to Large Size, it's Slam attack increases to 1d6+Str damage and it gains +10ft to it's land speed. It's natural armour bonus increases by one.

At tenth level they grow again to huge size. Their Slam now deals 1d8+Str damage and their land speed increases to 60ft. Their natural armour again increases by one.

Bonus Feat (Ex): At levels 7, 14 & 21 Titans gain a bonus feat. This feat must be either a Fighter bonus feat or a spell-like metamagic feat.

Change Shape (Su): From eighth level Titans may assume the form of any small or medium humanoid for 1 hour/day for each Titan level it possesses.
    Changing shape is a move equivalent action that may be done at will, but no more than 1/round.

Unstoppable (Ex): Titans are born to battle, and over the generations they have learned techniques that mean they may continue in the fray long after others have fallen. From now on the Titan may use his Cure Critical Wounds SLA on himself as a Swift action. He may still use the SLA on others, but it takes it's normal casting time when doing so.

Swat (Ex): At second level, the Titan may turn his strength to knocking enemies around rather than simply harming them. A Swat is a standard-action, touch based attack delivered with the Titan's slam attack. Enemies take standard slam damage, but the Titan does not add his Str to damage. Instead, enemies are knocked 5' in the direction of the Titan's choice (excepting movement into the Titan's occupied area), plus 5' for every size category the giant has over them. Increase the distance increment by 5' for every 5HD of the Titan.

Enemies who are knocked into obstacles must make a balance test (DC is 10 + the damage dealt + the Titan's Str modifier) or fall prone. If an enemy is knocked into another enemy's square, both foes must make balance tests.

Flying enemies must pass the same balance test or lose flying for 1 round per size category the Giant has over them.

I'll be back (Su): Titans are unbelievably difficult to keep down. As a free action 1/week a Titan may utter the name of this ability whilst engaged in combat (initiative has been rolled, must have made at least one melee attack or used one of his SLAs against an enemy since initiative was rolled). This effect lasts for 1 round/HD. If the Titan is killed during that duration, anyone attempting to resurrect him at any point after that may forgo any material or XP costs involved.

If killed whilst under the effects of this ability the Titan's soul may also not be trapped or bound in any way.

The power of this effect only works once, and must be renewed after the Titan is raised if they wish to benefit from it again. The week delay before it is usable again begins the day after the previous use expires, unless he is killed whilst under it's effect in which case it begins the day after he is revived.

Get to da choppa! (Su): Titan's may be wild and powerful, but when it's time to fall back they never leave a man behind. As a Swift action he may yell out the name of this ability in the same round that he uses his Gate SLA, and anyone he considers an ally within 50ft/HD may move at the base speed of their choice (land, flight, swim, burrow, climb) during your turn.

Additionally, on an affected ally's next turn all their movement speeds are doubled for that one round as long as they are genuinely aiming to go through the Titan's gate.

Supreme Titanic Magic (Su): At level 21 Titans become masters of their magical abilities. From now on any spell-like abilities they gained from the Titan class that could previously be used 1/HD each day may now be used at will. This has no effect on other spell-like abilities either from other sources or from the Titan class that can only be used less than 1/round.

Titanic Magic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1HD
    - Cure Light Wounds 1/HD each day (Requires Least Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Cure Moderate Wounds at 4HD
    -- Upgrades to Cure Serious Wounds at 8HD (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Cure Critical wounds at 11HD (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic)

2HD
    - Summon Monster I 1/day (Requires Least Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Summon Monster II etc. as a Sorcerer would gain access to that level of spells (II at 4HD, III at 6HD ... IX at 18HD). Upgrades never require additional Titanic Magic Abilities.
    -- Gain an additional use at 10HD (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic) and a third use at 19HD (Requires Greater Titanic Magic)

- Silent Image 1/HD each day (Requires Least Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Major Image at 8HD (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Persistent Image at 13HD (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic)

3HD
    - Invisibility 1/HD each day (Requires Least Titanic Magic)

4HD
    - Levitate 1/HD each day (Requires Least Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Fly at 12HD (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic)

5HD
    - Lightning Bolt 1/HD each day (Requires Least Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Chain Lightning at 12HD (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic)

6HD
    - Dispel Magic 1/HD each day (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Greater Dispel Magic at 13HD (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic)

- Daylight [Good] or Deeper Darkness [Evil] 1/HD each day (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic).

7HD
    - Hold Person 1/HD each day (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic)
    -- Upgrades to Hold Monster at 10HD

- Invisibility Purge 1/HD each day (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic)

8HD
    -

9HD
    - Charm Monster 1/HD each day (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic)

- Remove Curse [Good] or Bestow Curse [Evil] 1/2HD each day (Requires Lesser Titanic Magic).
    -- Remove Curse upgrades to Break Enchantment at 14HD (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic). Bestow Curse does not upgrade.

10HD
    -

11HD
    - Holy Smite [Good] or Unholy Blight [Evil] 1/HD each day (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic).

12HD
    -

13HD
    -

14HD
    - Fire Storm 1/4HD each day (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic)

15HD
    - Word of Chaos [Chaos] or Dictum [Law] 2/day (Requires Intermediate Titanic Magic)
    -- Gain a third use at 19HD (Requires Greater Titanic Magic)

16HD
    - Maze 1/5HD each day (Requires Greater Titanic Magic)

17HD
    - Meteor Swarm 1/5HD each day (Requires Greater Titanic Magic)

- Greater Restoration [Good] or Crushing Hand [Evil] 1/5HD each day (Requires Greater Titanic Magic).

18HD
    - Gate 1/7HD each day (Requires Greater Titanic Magic)
    -- If the Titan wishes to use the Calling option of this SLA he must pay the XP cost as usual.

19HD
    - Etherealness 3/day (Requires Greater Titanic Magic)

---------------------------------
    Titans receive the SLAs that correspond with their alignment. Neutral aligned Titans may choose at Level 1 whether they wish to gain the [Good] or [Evil] & [Chaos] or [Law] SLAs, and this decision cannot be changed once made.

If the Titan's alignment changes they may not use these alignment based SLAs until they receive an Atonement spell from a creature of their new alignment.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's my Titan. Not really that much to put in here, everything should be pretty self explanatory (the capstone is in epic levels, so it shouldn't be too bad, but maybe I should limit it to a certain amount of it's spell-likes). Basically it's a Battle Sorcerer except it's on a restricted spell list. Is it too much?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-10-09 at 04:14 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there one for the Tarrasque?
    Fighter: "I can kill someone in a turn."
    Cleric: "I can kill someone in half a turn."
    Wizard: "I can kill someone before my turn."
    Bard: "I can make three idiots kill people for me."

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsumeken View Post
    (*starts laughing* Oh my god.... you do not know what fresh Hell you've suddenly introduced do you? Oh well... here we go...)

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

My vote goes for the 5-level PrC too. If nothing else, 99.9% of DMs I know play with swift/immediate as they're considered base rules but only a very small percentage (<10%) use fractional BAB/saves unless it's gestalt. So by taking the template 5 times you're essentially uber-boosting saves.

Also, just an idea, perhaps give it access to more powerful abilities depending on what level it's on? Say, it gets access to the lower tier abilities at level 1-2, moderate at 3-4 and the uber awesome ones at 5?

Oh and I'll update the Soulspark with a non-MoI ability shortly. I'm not entirely sure what to do about it though, since I'd like it to get effective Incarnate levels but can't, so maybe something like "It gains X ability or an effective Incanate level equal to its HD-2" to allow for people both with and without the MoI book?
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

I donno, boss, it seems pretty simple to me: you can take the class again and again. Stop overthinking it! There's nothing complex about it, and I think you're misusing the word elegant there. My version is elegant. Yours is simple and practical, and, if I may say so, quite foot-in-the-door.
    Also, have you considered that many DMs force their players to take all levels of a PrC to prevent dipping? I don't want it to have the vibe of a 5 level class, I want it to be a class you can take multiple times.
    Does anybody else have input on the 5 level vs. 1 level class issue? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this.
    It really should be a 5 level class. No other class in DnD works like that; consistency is best, really.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    Soulspark

Spoiler
    Show
    HD: D8
    Skills: Diplomacy, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive and Spot
    Skill Points: 4 + Int mod (X4 at first level)

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A Soulspark is only proficient with its Soul Blast.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Feature
    1|+1|+0|+2|+0|Soulspark Body, Soul Blast, Alignment
    2|+2|+0|+3|+0|Incarnum Shroud, +1 Dex
    3|+3|+1|+3|+1|Evasion, +1 Cha
    4|+4|+1|+4|+1|Resistant Soul, +1 Dex
    5|+5|+1|+4|+1|Soul Limb, +1 Cha
    6|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Soul Speech, +1 Dex
    7|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Soul Perfection, +1 Cha[/table]

Soulspark Body: A Soulspark loses all other racial traits and bonuses and becomes a tiny Outsider with the Incarnum and Native subtypes. It has a base land speed of 20 ft and a fly speed equal to 5ft/HD with perfect maneuverability.

A Soulspark has no limbs to perform fine manipulation with, nor can it speak. It can manipulate objects to the extent of pushing them. It can communicate empathically with creatures with an intellgence score of 3 or above. Empathic communication can only provide answers such as "yes", "no", "danger" etc. Soulsparks can understand languages as normal.

A Soulspark cannot be affected by critical hits and can never be flanked. It gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to its charisma score.

Soul Blast: (Su)
    As a Soulspark lacks any form of natural attack and cannot wield a weapon, it utilizes another weapon. At 2nd level, a Soulspark may, in place of a regular attack, release a Soul Blast. This is a ranged attack with a range of 30ft + 5ft/HD that deals 1d6 + charisma modifier damage. The Soulspark may use a Soul Blast as many times in a round as they could attack. Using this ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

For every 2 HD the Soulspark has, the damage is increased one step as shown. (1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 5d6, 6d6, etc). Beyond 6d6, the damage continues to increase by a single d6 for each step.

A Soulspark may take the Improved Natural Attack feat for this attack. It is treated as a natural attack in all regards.

Alignment:
    At 1st level, a Soulspark must choose an alignment from Neutral Good, Neutral Evil, Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Neutral. Any alignment-dependant ability gained by the Soulspark has a component opposite to the non-neutral component of the Soulspark's alignment.

For example, a Neutral Good Soulspark that later gains the Resistant Soul ability would gain DR/Evil.

Ability Increases:
    At 2nd, 4th and 6th levels, the Soulspark gains a permanent +1 to its dexterity score. At 3rd, 5th and 7th levels the Soulspark gains a permanent +1 to its charisma score.

Incarnum Shroud: (Su)
    As a being of pure incarnum, a Soulspark gains an essentia pool equal to its HD. At 2nd level, it can use this essentia in a number of ways, with more available as it increases in HD. These abilities are shown below.

The Soulspark may invest its essentia points into the following abilities to a limit of 1/2 its HD into any one ability. Re-arranging essentia is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Essentia remains stores until the Soulspark re-arranges it.

At 2nd level, the Soulspark may gain an insight bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to the amount of essentia invested.

At 4th level, the Soulspark may gain an insight bonus on
    all saves and AC equal to the amount of essentia invested.

At 6th level, the Soulspark may gain Fast Healing equal to twice the amount of essentia invested.

Evasion:
    At 3rd level, the Soulspark gains evasion, as the Monk ability.

Resistant Soul:
    At 4th level, a Soulspark gains DR equal to half its HD. This is bypassed by attacks of an opposed alignment.

Soul Limb: (Ex)
    At 5th level, a Soulspark gains the ability to extend a portion of itself in a hand-like fashion. It gains a single slam attack dealing 1d2+Strength mod damage. It also gains the ability to manipulate objects as if it had a regular humanoid hand. It may not wield weapons or carry objects with this limb but it may open doors, activate magic items and otherwise perform as normal.

Soul Speech: (Ex)
    At 6th level, a Soulspark gains the ability to communicate with creatures telepathically. This ability has a range of 100ft + 5ft/HD but may only affect creatures who have an essentia pool. Any creature who does not have an essentia pool simply "hears" a large amount of static and random noises.

However, a Soulspark may invest essentia in this ability. If it invests a number of essentia equal to 1/4 its HD, it gains the ability to communicate with creatures that do not have an essentia pool.

Soul Perfection:
    At 7th level, a Soulspark gains the choice of two abilities:
    Soul Incarnate:
    Spoiler
    Show

At 7th level, a Soulspark becomes a true incarnation of incarnum. It gains meldshaping, essentia and all other class features of an Incarnate with a level equal to its HD-2. However, it gains the ability to bind soulmelds to its soul and heart chakras only and can bind to these chakras immediately. If its Soul Limb is manifested, it may also bind to its arm and hand chakras.

The Soulspark cannot take levels in a meldshaping-advancing prestige class to improve this, nor can it take levels in Incarnate itself. Any essentia gained from its Incarnum Shroud ability must be used entirely for those abilities and essentia gained from its effective Incarnate level can only be used for Incarnate abilities.

Soul Manifestation:
    Spoiler
    Show

At 7th level a Soulspark transforms into the final stage of soul rebirth. It gains the ability to take on a humanoid form a number of times per day equal to its HD. This ability has a duration equal to the Soulspark's charisma modifier. Transforming is a free action.

When the Soulspark transforms, its type changes to Humanoid but it retains all subtypes. It becomes a regular Human in all aspects, except for the bonus feat and skill points. It loses its Soul Limb power but retains all other class features of the Soulspark class. It may now wear equipment as normal, wield weapons and perform any action a regular humanoid could perform.

Additionally, it gains an increase to its strength score equal to 1/4 its HD (min 1) while transformed, as it finds it now has use of muscles and tendons.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

Since the original Soulspark has very little beyond its soul blast and incarnum shroud abilities, I had to create the later stuff from scratch. The only thing I'm really unsure about is the capstone allowing access to heart and soul chakras immediately. But then I figured, you're a floating ball of energy that has to limit itself (that is, use ALL of its racial essentia) just to talk and manipulate objects, so having some pretty sweet soulmelds won't break things too badly I don't think.
    Refined it a little, cleared up some wording and added an alternate capstone ability for those without Magic of Incarnum.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Re: Soul Manifestation duration. You say it is Cha Mod long, but is that measured in rounds/minutes/hours etc. ?

Also, its a non-crunch thing but are you naked when you transform, or do you get some lovely blue, incarnum-y garments?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Re: Soul Manifestation duration. You say it is Cha Mod long, but is that measured in rounds/minutes/hours etc. ?

Also, its a non-crunch thing but are you naked when you transform, or do you get some lovely blue, incarnum-y garments?
    Ah I knew I missed something. I'm not sure really, I was gonna make it rounds but that seems a bit short for interaction purposes. For combat and whatnot, it seems about right, but for actually roleplaying ... Perhaps minutes?

Heh, that's a good call. I'll add something about that

Edit: Okay, I've added those things in and made the duration minutes. Also one other large change, since it was really bugging me whenever I really thought about it - the Soulspark no longer gets a consitution score and instead replaces anything con-based with charisma. After all, it's a ball of soul-based incarnum energy, I can't see it having that great a constitution.
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-10-09 at 10:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, I've missed a lot since dropping out of an earlier thread.

Not sure how to get back into the swing of things. Two threads to read through & hard to track what's already been done.

If anyone wants input, let me know. In the meantime, assuming nobody's stepped in & finished them, I might finish the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    Also one other large change, since it was really bugging me whenever I really thought about it - the Soulspark no longer gets a consitution score and instead replaces anything con-based with charisma. After all, it's a ball of soul-based incarnum energy, I can't see it having that great a constitution.
    At a glance, though, doesn't this allow too much frontloading of Cha?

I put all my points in Cha, then get some Cha boosting magic items for...
    • HP
    • Fort saves.
    • Deflection bonus to AC
    • Soul Blast Damage
    • Bonus to incarnum abilities or duration for transforming.

If I wanted to abuse this, I could use a feat for Force of Personality; replace my Wis stat with Cha for will saves.

It's kind of weird that the Soulspark gets Diplomacy as a class skill when it can't really communicate until 6th level.

Also, can't help but wonder - could you elaborate on the magic item slots a soulspark has available to it? The lack of a body could be particularly crippling, given the importance of gear to PCs.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-10-09 at 02:44 PM.