New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (III)

Pieter & Co

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter licked his lips, his eyes never leaving the crossbow pointed at his face. He would certainly not be the one to attempt something reckless. Leave that to Raffy or Illiiya...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya watched the men file in... bravado bolstered by their numbers. Numbers, they had... but they were still humans. Ignorance and fear dwelled in each of them.

Tell me, human. Do you want to see how Jagrun died? She asked the one who seemed most full of bluster, her voice deadly calm, Do you think we have anything left to lose here? Do you want to see how many of you I can drag screaming to hell before you manage to stop us? Faith and bluster could not save your hunter... and there were but two of us then. Do not try this.

Illiiya stepped out from behind Pieter, staring the center man down with a cold, unflinching gaze. Death seemed preferable to the tortures they would levy upon her if she were caught again.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter, Illiiya, Raffy & Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    The guard looked disconcerted by Illiiya's words - but he did not lower his weapon. Behind him, one of the other crossbows swung to bear on the elf.

"Look, all of this talkin' ain't of much concern to us, miss. We've got our orders. 's more than my life's worth to let you go." The guard looked around the group, trying to maintain his tone of authority. "Now, you're all going to start by puttin' your weapons down, slowly. Then, your friend here is going to let our colleague go. You come quietly, maybe that'll count in your favour."

He paused, watching their faces.

"I ain't goin' to tell you again."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-10-09 at 04:22 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

((OOC: the petard is a small keg, not a bag))

Raffy smiled approvingly at lliiya's words - a wicked, distant smile - at Illiiya's words. When the guard didn't move, he spoke up too.

"You're right that my friends here want to live," he says, "But I've already been made a murderer. I'd rather kill of you and die myself. Shall I start with your friend here?"

Keeping his buss pointed in their direction with one hand, he draws his sword with the other and lays its edge against the hostage's throat, hugging the man to himself as he had with Rudi.

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    As you wish it human. I will die for them, if I must. Let us see if your men will do the same for you.

We are wasting time. Illiiya said, stepping back alongside Raffy. They are stalling for reinforcements to come... I would guess. Let us just do this, then.

She paused a moment, before giving a soft sigh.

I have never had friends. I... I just wanted you all to know that I appreciate what you've tried to do. No matter how it ends.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter, Illiiya, Raffy & Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy smiled approvingly at lliiya's words - a wicked, distant smile - at Illiiya's words. When the guard didn't move, he spoke up too.

"You're right that my friends here want to live," he says, "But I've already been made a murderer. I'd rather kill of you and die myself. Shall I start with your friend here?"

Keeping his buss pointed in their direction with one hand, he draws his sword with the other and lays its edge against the hostage's throat, hugging the man to himself as he had with Rudi.
    "He was thick enough to get himself caught. We're in more trouble lettin' you folk go than if one of us gets cut up bringin' you in." He glanced uncomfortably at Raffy's hostage. "Sorry, Sigric."

"I think if you came in here for your friends, mister, then you want 'em to live, too. So we'll start by putting the sword down, aye?" His finger tightened on the trigger of his crossbow. "Last warning."

As you wish it human. I will die for them, if I must. Let us see if your men will do the same for you.

We are wasting time. Illiiya said, stepping back alongside Raffy. They are stalling for reinforcements to come... I would guess. Let us just do this, then.

She paused a moment, before giving a soft sigh.

I have never had friends. I... I just wanted you all to know that I appreciate what you've tried to do. No matter how it ends.
    "I said enough!" shouted the guard, clearly unnerved by the elf's strange mode of speech. "Weapons down!"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-10-09 at 04:19 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

It hits the fan

Spoiler
    Show
    Your choice is made.

Illiiya raised her arms high, calling to the Dhar in the same even tone she spoke with. Her every word and action deliberate and determined... there was no doubt in her now.

Vashaan tal uluien. Fai trill tesh' Mensha Khaine.

The winds swirled about her in a way now familiar to her friends... the sounds of distant shrieks and wails seeming to come from the air itself. It encircled her only once, as she channeled the Dhar... forcing it to act as she willed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Magic Dart at the talkative one. Maybe his nerve will break a bit after he eats blade wind and a blunderbuss to the face.

Channeling roll: (1d100)[57]

(1d10)[2] or (1d10)[2] +1 if channeling successful!

Damage, if successful: (1d10+3)[9][/roll]

Er.... crap. In a sterling moment of hubris... it seems Illiiya has miscast. So... that's fun. How do you want to roll that out LCP?
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2010-10-10 at 12:58 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar and some CRAZIES

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar put a hand on one sword. "No bloodshed! These men are just doing their work."
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy shoves Sigric the hands-tied hostage to one side, but instead of leveling his 'buss he reaches forward and grabs the fuse cord trailing from Pieter'e petard.

And passes it through the flame of the torch.

He looks at the captain who has been threatening them.

"Run," he says with his wolfish smile.

OOC to all:
    Spoiler
    Show

LCP, we never specified how long the fuse will take to burn, other than me saying it was a "long" fuse cord. That could mean anything from 30 seconds to several minutes, at your discretion (though I assume we have a rough idea, so let us know what you decide).

My hope here is that the guards will run from the bomb, and we can run after them, hurling it away when it is getting close to exploding. Might get us to the top of the steps at least.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-10-10 at 02:39 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Drawing the Winds around her, Illiiya felt a lurch in her stomach as they slipped from her grasp, a low cackling echoing in her skull – then, as swift as a rising breeze, she heard a whispering, growing louder – it came from behind her, from the direction of Jagrun’s old chamber. The torture implements were talking, a chorus of a hundred frightened voices rustling up out of the old, cold stone of the walls.

...please, please no...
    ...there must have been a mistake... please, my lord, you have to believe me...
    ...I’m innocent!
    Interspersed between the sobbing, pleading spectres, scraps of Jagrun’s voice were audible, as hard-edged and collected as it had always been.
    ...such practices are forbidden, on pain of death. Surely you knew this.
    ...confess, and this can end.
    ...you will be purged of your magic by means of fire. Tomorrow, at dawn.

The screams grew louder, more agonised – clutching her hands to her ears, Illiiya saw ghostly flames leap up before her. They crackled and roared, choking black smoke obscuring the scene around her – she could feel the heat, feel the blistering of the skin on her toes as she struggled to free herself from the phantom pyre. And through the black cloud, the Witch Hunter’s face – watching with the cold satisfaction of a craftsman at work. The fire was searing her skin now, flesh blackening and bubbling as the stinging smoke clawed at her eyes...

By an immense effort of will, she clapped her hands over her face, shutting out the horrid sight – when she drew them away, it was gone. So, however, was the dungeon – a milky whiteness clouded her vision, the shapes of Raffy, the others, the guards all nothing but blurred ghosts. She was half-blind.

OOC: You suffer a -10% penalty to all tests involving sight for (1d10)[9] hours.

Raffy, Lothar & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The others felt the hairs on the back of their neck prickle as the elf readied her spell – with a little cry, Illiiya stumbled, clapping her hands to her face. When she pulled them away, her eyes were pure white, irises and pupils covered by an unnatural milky film...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shaking his head Ithelus gets up from the table, 'Good game' he says. Then pulling his coat tight around him he ventures into the cold, heading for the Crow.
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-10-10 at 07:56 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Co

Spoiler
    Show
    It took Pieter an enormous effort of will to refrain from throwing the petard away from him. Yet it was possibly the only thing that kept the guards from pin-cushioning him with crossbow bolts.

He nearly dropped the petard again when Illiiya's spell apparently backfired, filling the air with so much uncontrolled aethyric energy that even he could feel it. The Elf's horribly white eyes made him shudder.

He knew how to seize an opportunity.
    "Oh no, not that again," he whispered dramatically, the fear in his voice not entirely faked. Then, turning to the guards: "RUN!"

Some kind of Fellowship test: (d100)[22]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Setting out into the night, Ithelus headed in the direction of the river, jamming his hands into his pockets as he huddled himself up against the chill of the falling snow. The bruises Kleiner’s men had given him still ached, conspiring with the icy cold of the deep Middenland night as if to mock him in his loneliness.

Over the Delb, the north bridge deserted and dark: cutting south through the tangled streets to the north of the city centre, he slowed as he saw a ruddy illumination rising diffusely through the midnight murk, somewhere far ahead. Rising over the rooftops, it blossomed with orange light, twisting streamers of sooty black silhouetted against it – somewhere in the lower town, a house was burning.

As he watched, another little light bloomed, further away to the west. Drifting through the falling snow, the faint strains of shouting, crying voices were audible – fire...

[hr]

Not Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    The guards’ eyes widened – whether at Pieter’s shout or Raffy’s ultimatum, it was difficult to say.

“Shoot it!” came a shout from somewhere at the back – there were three ludicrously understated thumps of bowstrings, and the guards turned to flee the way they had came, the fear of what horrors the elf's witchcraft might have unleashed overwhelming their discipline.

Spoiler
    Show
    The three guards with LOS each loose against Illiiya. Well done, Pieter.

(1d100)[60] - miss.
    (1d100)[14]
    (1d100)[15]

Damage:
    (1d10+4)[6]
    (1d10+4)[7]
    (1d10+4)[7]

That's 8 wounds, after TB.

They then take a Half Move back up the stairs. Those who couldn’t shoot are already Running.

Illiiya gave a small cry as two of the bolts found their mark, burying themselves in her left shoulder and slamming the elf's slight frame backwards...
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-10-10 at 08:32 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stumbling along Ithelus's mind wonders to Illiiya. Lothar seemed to have things under control... and well if he didn't then there was little to lose right? His fingers circled the handle of his sickle.

Noticing the fire he almost choked in exasperation. 'Why doesn't this town just take a day's rest?' He stumbles on, changing his course to the nearest fire.
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Through narrow alleys, open streets, the swirling snow thickening as it tried to cloud the way ahead – Ithelus made his way by the glow of the fires, more breaking out in ones and twos in seemingly random locations as he hurried through the streets. He was nearly at the Neumarket when he saw them – Hounds, stumbling out of a tumbledown house as it began to burn. Commoners were crowding round, one of the militiamen stumbling out of the burning building with a child in his arms as a screaming woman beat her fists against the chest of another. The light of the fire flickered and danced through the swirling darkness of the night, the confusion of smoke and snow lending the whole scene a surreal, insane quality.

Two more Hounds backed out through the door, burning torches still held out in their hands – slamming the door behind them, they hurriedly backed away, forming a group of five with their comrades. Around them, people were already shouting for others to bring water, the upper windows shattering as tongues of flame leapt towards the heavens from their ravaged frames: the militiamen recoiled in fear as the door burst open, a black tide of rats flowing out into the street in all directions. Rats were tumbling from the windows, scuttling down the outside of the walls, making for the drains as they escaped the burning house: the crowd of onlookers screamed and scattered before them, the Hounds forming a huddled island in the sea of fleeing rodents.

”Someone get the Sergeant!”
    ”Everywhere! Oh gods, they’re everywhere!”
    ”It’s the witch’s doing! Just like the Lector said!”
    ”Water! Before the whole town goes up, water!”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-10-10 at 09:05 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #76

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar drew his sword. "When we get out of here, Raffy," he growled through gritted teeth, "we are going to have words." He ran towards the guards, his sword held low.

"Pieter! Grab Illiiya, bring her with us! Raffy- you're in front. No more murder!"
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Co

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter put out the petard's fuse under his boot: if need be, they could light it again quickly. He threw his torch away, wrapped his right arm around Illiiya's body (careful not to brush her... wounds), and half-carried the Elf toward the stairs.

"Stay with us, girl," he murmured. "I'll take care of you as soon as I can."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-10-10 at 02:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk and the TEAM OF HAPPY JOY TRIUMPH

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy is half-reaching for Illiiya already when Lothar tells Pieter to get her. He sees the initiate stamping out the fuse cord and smiles. Since the guards had already run, it was a good call.

"Good man," he says. Then yelling up the stairs for the guards' benefits he calls, "Bring the petard! We only have a minute!"

He takes off running up the stairs, readying his net in place of his weapon, in case anyone tries to block his way.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-10-10 at 12:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    The gentleness and serenity faded. Foolish. Everything had gone too well for too long... and she had felt confident that she could rend the Dhar as she willed. An act of desperation that felt oddly familiar.

What was more familiar however, was the fire. She felt it surging through her. Past her. Around her. Everything burned, and her gasp of pain only brought scalding air to her lungs. Around her... the shrieks of the dying echoed in her head, and it took her a moment to realize that her screaming was amongst them. Gavinsburough... She had tried so hard to forget... only for hubris to pull her back there now.

With a dull thump, the two bolts lodged themselves in her small frame... and it was not until then that she realized that what she saw was not happening. Everything looked hazy around her... as if she were dreaming. But the pain was real. It had to be real... didn't it? Had it ALL been in her mind?

Illiiya slumped over onto Raffy, clinging to him tightly, as if any moment he might fade away and leave her alone. Her calm confidence quickly replaced with a growing panic.

N-no! Please! I don't want to go back there! It hurts! Everything hurts! She muttered, clutching at his shirt and seemingly in too much shock to have noticed her wounds.

Blood smeared on Raffy's tunic as she held onto him desperately, weakness and injury overtaking her as she struggled to keep her feet.

Please... p-please... Not here... She mumbled to him, Please do not let me die here...

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Not Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Practically carrying Illiiya along with them, the group took off in the direction the guards had fled, leaving the shackled Sigric behind: they could hear the guards running ahead of them, pulling away as the wounded elf slowed them down.

Traversing the steps quickly in the lead, Raffy came to the ground-floor corridor through which he and Pieter had entered: there was a clear path to the door. Standing in the doorway of the side-room that led off before the stairway, however, two of the guards were standing, one crouched on one knee to allow room for the other to aim as they fixed their crossbows on their target.

“Outside!” shouted one of them, holding the stock of his weapon more tightly against his shoulder as he caught sight of the others. “Now!”

There was a wooden clatter from somewhere on the staircase above – it sounded like the other guards were waiting around the next bend of the stairs, covering the hallway from the rear. They wouldn’t want to give the Sparrowhawk free run of the castle, after all...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

"Pieter! Bring the bomb!"

He looks to Pieter and Lothar below him on the stairs, and jerks his head skyward as if to say "We're going up."

((Waiting for answers to questions in OOC thread before deciding how to go about this))

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Team Nutter

Spoiler
    Show
    "No! Leave the bomb!" shouted one of the guards, both of the two in the doorway tightening their aim on Raffy. "Leave it or we shoot!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy backs down the stairs a few steps to be out of their line of fire.

"If we leave it, will you let us leave the castle?" he yells.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy & the Team

Spoiler
    Show
    There was a short pause. Then the guards spoke up again:

"Roll it over here before you. Then we'll let you go."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Co

Spoiler
    Show
    Can't complain I have a boring life, thought Pieter.

"Rafale," he shouted, "you can't seriously think they'll just let us leave? The bomb is our key out of here."

He kept the petard under his arm, but remained several steps behind Lothar, out of sight of the guards.

Edit: Ninja'd twice. Post edited.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-10-10 at 08:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy & Co

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy keeps a low voice. "We can either try to bargain, or try to force our way to the ramparts. I have a rope so we can climb down."

He looks from Lothar to Pieter. "Which is it?"

27. - Top - End - #87

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar shook his head. "You didn't have a plan?" he hissed. "Idiots. I didn't survive the Storm to die by your stupidity." He sighed and looked at Illiiya, then back to Raffy. "Illiiya's in no condition to climb a rope that might not even be long enough. For that matter, neither are you- you w're half dead after that fight. How are you even upright?"

"How long's the fuse on that thing? Light it, roll it over- while they stamp it out, we can rush'em, knock 'em down, and move on. Rollin' it over without a light, they're just gonna shoot anyway." He glared at Raffy. "They have a murderer and heretic to catch, here, they're not givin' up easy."
    Games:

=

=

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Co

Spoiler
    Show
    "Frankly?" Pieter snapped to Raffy. "I don't think we stand a chance to fight our way out."

"How long's the fuse on that thing? Light it, roll it over- while they stamp it out, we can rush'em, knock 'em down, and move on. Rollin' it over without a light, they're just gonna shoot anyway."
    Lothar's plan was a longshot, but Pieter was willing to attempt it: it was their last chance. Letting go of Illiiya, he fumbled for a match.

OOC: Not sure keeping a low voice is going to make much of a difference if the guards are close enough to have you in your line of fire.

Edit: Ninja'd again. Post edited.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-10-10 at 08:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

He shakes his head. "They closed the gate. If we go that way, we'll need the bomb to blow it," he says.

((So is Illiiya actually unconscious? I thought she was just partly blind and wounded.))

He yells to the guards:

"We're coming out with the bomb, and it's not lit. When we see an open gate, we'll drop it and leave. Deal?"

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-10-10 at 08:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    A long, long silence.

"Deal."

OOC: Illiiya's not unconscious - just two low-rolling crossbow bolts in the shoulder.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb