New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darth Malack

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Darth Malack

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've never played Knights of the Old Republic. The name was originally going to be Malachi, but I decided at the last minute that I didn't want names that were too closely related to any real-world religion. So I dropped the "hi" and slapped on a "k", which happily gave me a unique name.

And his "friend" Kotor was just random. I picked sounds that sounded like an ancient Conan-type warrior to me.
    wow..., well, that sucks... I mean it all fit so perfectly, but..., *sigh*

well at least we have the answer..., I think Im gonna pretend that this post never happened.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

One unintentional reference can easily be written off as coincidence.

Three stretches credibility.

Or maybe Star Wars has grown to such a level that it's hard NOT to find parallels anymore. I mean, Wookieepedia is up to 80,000+ articles now.

F'r example:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Elan
    Last edited by Timberboar; 2010-10-11 at 04:27 PM.
    I'm a sylph!

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Lindorm for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    there's nothing to debate about.
    When has that ever made any difference?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timberboar View Post
    One unintentional reference can easily be written off as coincidence.

Three stretches credibility.

Or maybe Star Wars has grown to such a level that it's hard NOT to find parallels anymore. I mean, Wookieepedia is up to 80,000+ articles now.

F'r example:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Elan
    I guess that's just what happens when something expands enough.

I'm sure there are unintentional "references" to large franchises everywhere. Also, the whole thing where the mind looks for patterns and stuff which aren't there, etc. Keep in mind that all of these were "stretches". (If their names were actually Tarkin and Malak, then, yeah, that would be a really freaky coincidence. And if the paladin was named KotOR then I think we would have one of the biggest coincidences ever.)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would still say that it has to be one of the top 10 coincidences of all time. I mean, we get Darth Vader quotes, Boba Fett quotes, and various other Star Wars references. Then, at the same time, we get --

Tarquin -- like Grand Moff Tarkin
    Malack -- like Darth Malak
    Kotor -- like KotoR -- Knights of the Old Republic

It's like having the characters bring out all kinds of references to Star Trek -- "Beam me up, Scotty!" and "the dilithium crystals can't take much more of this" -- then having characters named Kerk, Spuck, and Bones, and saying that the names of those characters actually have nothing to do with Star Trek.

I'm really, really confused at the moment.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    I would still say that it has to be one of the top 10 coincidences of all time. I mean, we get Darth Vader quotes, Boba Fett quotes, and various other Star Wars references. Then, at the same time, we get --

Tarquin -- like Grand Moff Tarkin
    Malack -- like Darth Malak
    Kotor -- like KotoR -- Knights of the Old Republic

It's like having the characters bring out all kinds of references to Star Trek -- "Beam me up, Scotty!" and "the dilithium crystals can't take much more of this" -- then having characters named Kerk, Spuck, and Bones, and saying that the names of those characters actually have nothing to do with Star Trek.

I'm really, really confused at the moment.
    The theory's dead, Jem.

7. - Top - End - #37

MindFlayer

Quite possibly Malack was a coincidence, and though he's never played it, his subconscious mind recognized the name and stuck "Kotor" beside it.

It's like IRL epileptic trees :D lots of fun.

Though, tbh, that's my real guess. The mind is an interesting and hilarious thing.

8. - Top - End - #38

Yes, I figure it has to be subconscious associations. It's like the time I was writing a short story, and only later realized that I had copied over part of a line from the Worm Ouroboros by Eddison, verbatim, without realizing it at the time I was writing.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    Yes, I figure it has to be subconscious associations. It's like the time I was writing a short story, and only later realized that I had copied over part of a line from the Worm Ouroboros by Eddison, verbatim, without realizing it at the time I was writing.
    That happened to me once, only I was writing a love song and the line in question came from Hello Kitty: Island Adventures.

....Wait, did I say that out loud? I meant, errr, I can't believe this whole thing is just a coincidence!!!!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

How could there be subconscious associations if the author never played KotOR?

11. - Top - End - #41

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    For one thing, I'm fairly sure our author is a nerd. One cool thing about nerds is that we often hang out with other nerds.

I know that at my D&D table, for example, I hear far too much about HoN.

It's actually far more likely that it's subconscious this way - if he HAD played it, he'd recognize it.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by SadisticFishing View Post
    For one thing, I'm fairly sure our author is a nerd. One cool thing about nerds is that we often hang out with other nerds.

I know that at my D&D table, for example, I hear far too much about HoN.

It's actually far more likely that it's subconscious this way - if he HAD played it, he'd recognize it.
    Agreed. The interesting thing is, I've never played KotoR either. However, I still recognized the names.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

That's the great thing about mass media and popular culture -- it's hard to avoid.

I've never heard a Miley Cyrus song... but I certainly know who she is. Same goes for Lady Gaga. That stuff just kind of seeps in (a process I lovingly call brain osmosis).
    I'm a sylph!

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Lindorm for the avatar!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I find it easy to believe that the apparent StarWars references were accidental, as I've seen things like that before.

There was an online roleplay-story thing, in which things from various fictional universes were thrown together. One of the people taking part had a Vulcan character, who noticed a "Subspace Eddie" floating by just outside his ship - so he put on a spacesuit, lent out of the airlock, and had a conversation with it.

Another poster at first took for granted that this was a witty reference to "Crazy Eddie" from Larry Niven's Known Space universe. But this was not the case - the first poster had never heard of Crazy Eddie, when he invented "Subspace Eddie". It was just a play on the concept of a subspace eddy - a sort of ripple in spacetime.

Glancing at the sensors, S'Tranak noticed a nearby Subspace Eddie. Idling his ship nearer, he donned a spacesuit and leaned out of the airlock. "Hello there. Ed!" The Eddie was startled.. "Hey careful.. if we're seen talking to each other there'll be Big Trouble. In fact your own people would probably put you in the funny farm!.. what do you want, anyway?"
    "Well, Edward, is there anything you can tell me?" "Plenty! Did you know there was another ship here? One from another universe in fact!" "There was?" "Yeah.. check your logs! I'm surprised none of you noticed! Gotta go now!".. and the Eddie rippled away.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xykeb Zraliv View Post
    The theory's dead, Jem.
    There are four wights?
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

A bit off topic, but I personally think the author really needs to play KOTOR.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cdstephens View Post
    A bit off topic, but I personally think the author really needs to play KOTOR.
    That wouldn't retroactively make Malack and Kotor KotOR references, you know.

18. - Top - End - #48

MindFlayer

That wouldn't retroactively make Malack and Kotor KotOR references, you know.
    I think he means that the Giant is missing out on a good game? That's what I got from that, anyways. I've never played KoTR before either.
    My characters: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php?sg=41703

GENERATION 7D: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add applesauce to the generation. This is a social experiment.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

We can't buy him a copy.

"Finish the latest strip, or play around with my JEDI powers..."

We don't want that.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zyborg View Post
    I think he means that the Giant is missing out on a good game? That's what I got from that, anyways. I've never played KoTR before either.
    It's one of the best Star Wars games in existence basically, since most of them are crap. Plus, it is Bioware.

Also, *points at avatar*

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Hold on here. You guys are now proposing that, even after the giant himself descended in this thread to explicitly (twice) mention Malack is not a Kotor reference, that it might actually be a SUBCONSCIOUS kotor reference based of the assumption that the giant hangs out with people who mentioned to him at least one time that a character name Malak is the main antagonist of the first Kotor game?

Just so I can make a valid point on my new theory here, how many of you believe Belkar is good and Miko will come back?

Edit : oh and that Belkar will not die.
    Last edited by Liwen; 2010-10-21 at 07:46 AM.
    Life is meanless if you don't play games.
    My favorite line in all OotS :
    "Dude, don't taunt the god-killing abomination."
    Loki

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Eh, yes? What's wrong with that?

Two unique, near-KotOR names appear in the comic while tons of other Star Wars references are around. Yeah, the pure coincidence scenario is the most probable.

Oh, forgot the [sarcazm].

EDIT: And while I believe that Belkar will die, is CE and Miko is dead for good, I still refrain myself from implying that people who believe otherwise are idiots.
    Last edited by Kondziu; 2010-10-21 at 11:21 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Hear that, Rich? Turns out you were wrong; it WAS a Star Wars reference after all. I know you think you decided to just do a few obvious references to the original trilogy, but some murky part of your brain decided that the opportunity to sneak in a load of unrelated shout-outs to obscure EU stuff that you're not even familiar with was just too good to pass up.

Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2010-10-21 at 11:28 AM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I'm not arguing that it was a reference. Right now, as a non-native speaker, I'm not sure of the word's definition, so I don't know if references can be unintentional. If they can - then it was a reference nontheless. If they can't - it obviously wasn't. Simple as that.

What I am arguing is that yes, it's in the realm of probability that those names were at least mentioned in Giant's presence, and that and Star Wars theme made it more likely for them to pop up rather than two other names.

Dear Nimrod's Son, there's probably a good reason it's called subconcious.
    Last edited by Kondziu; 2010-10-21 at 11:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liwen View Post
    Hold on here. You guys are now proposing that, even after the giant himself descended in this thread to explicitly (twice) mention Malack is not a Kotor reference, that it might actually be a SUBCONSCIOUS kotor reference based of the assumption that the giant hangs out with people who mentioned to him at least one time that a character name Malak is the main antagonist of the first Kotor game?

Just so I can make a valid point on my new theory here, how many of you believe Belkar is good and Miko will come back?

Edit : oh and that Belkar will not die.
    What I wish and what I think will happen are two completely different things.

I'll always love you Miko!