New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The 3.5 Red Hand Of Doom Handbook for DMs [Major spoilers!] - WIP, PEACH!

Quote Originally Posted by Antariuk View Post
    Sounds like your players were engaged and invested in seeing Rhest being cleared of the Red Hand's presence.
    The elves might have told them that they wouldn't be able to send any reinforcements to Brindol unless they did. :D

Duncan by Abardam, Spike by Quincunx

2. - Top - End - #902
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The 3.5 Red Hand Of Doom Handbook for DMs [Major spoilers!] - WIP, PEACH!

Hello there, first time posting here, though i've lurked for some time.

It will my first time DMing (i've played a few times, and do understand the system well enough) and i've chosen RHOD to introduce a few friends to the glory of 3.5.

So, i want to spice up the enemies, therefore, i'm doing some fair optimization for my players. For now, we only have one PC finished, a Fireblood dwarf Crusade 2/Dwarven Paragon 3 that turned out ridiculously tanky (ended up rolling 73HP, +11 Fort save, lv5). He will go Deepwarden for 6 and 7 and then more Crusader, if i'm not mistaken. But i don't really mind generous HP, it means i can be liberal with fireballs and lightning bolts.

One other player wishes to play a gish, and is still deciding the ''frame'' for it, but i'd appreciate suggestions on an easy to play gish build that packs some good utility. He's a meleer at heart, gish was my suggestion (to give more utility) and it tickled his fancy. Also, he wants antropoWolf. Rather badly. Will it hinder RP too much (and maybe optimisation?)? I realised that it could be a good idea giving everyone (except the divine caster) a dip in ToB, so how does a Wizard/Warblade works? I'm thinking a more mobile PC, to ''play around'' along the possible rogue/swordsage. Also, nice spells (i figure wizard is the best caster for a arcane gish?) for combat and utiliy?

But i'm having some trouble coming up with a rogue build. I was inclined to go Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler 2. But it didn't give that powerful feeling i got while building the Dwarf Bunker. So i thought about going Rogue X/ Swordsage Y, can you guys comment on that? He wants a rogueish character and will fill the skillmonkey role. Also, needs TWF. I dont mind brewing a feat to stack SwordS. levels for sneak atack à la Daring Outlaw. Still, i'm kinda lost.

Last player is exercising radio silence for some reason, so we haven't discussed characters yet, though i'm inclined to steer him towards Druid with the good ol' ''Do you wanna be a motherfockin Bear?'', so they will have some good utility and healing (i dont want to force heal bot on anyone that doesn't like it, i'd rather be generous with potions). And all the ''building'' you need is Natural Spell and Druid 20.

Will the party be in crippled without a dedicated arcane caster?

I'm using a 1:1 point buy, 84 points total (everything starting from 0, ofc, so that would be 36 1:1 point buy starting on the classical 8s), minimum 8, period, and maximum 18 before race/class modifiers (yeah, i'm a generous god. Also, they are n00bs). 9000GP wealth as per DMG. Party lv 5.

Also, my old GM didn't run WBL (party lv 6 didn't have a single +1 weapon, only a light shield +1 with some minor deflection spell), he toned down everything so we could fight alright, but i'd rather have everyone using magic (i've fallen in love with ToB, never really considered melee PCs before without it) than half the party ''I hit with my axe, again'', so i've given them full access fo Magic Item Compendium (though i will inspect the ''end product''). I've no idea what's to little and what's too much for a party that level (5), inexperienced but fairly optimized, facing tough fights. Really could use a hand in here, specially with magical itens (and wands). There seems to be too little money to buy a NICE magical item AND +1 armor and weapons. The fore mentioned dwarf ended up with around 2800GP after buying Full plate +1, heavy shield +1 and Dwarven Waraxe +1, and i figured 50 gold will buy plenty of rope ;). Identical +1 shortswords can get a discount (not nice having to pay double for weapons, right?). When +2 gear is nearly out of their budget, i feel awkard in putting then and strong magicks in the loot chests while at the same time there is no point in putting +1 itens. What to put in the loot?

Should i start them at lv6?

Finally, considering what you noble souls who would honor me with your help can grasp from my incoherent ramblings, how much buffing and re'specing do you figure can i get away with?

Sorry, english is my second language, and i've slept very little with excitement thinking about the campaing and dnd and stuff (yeah, i tend to get hyped). Also, having the neighbor checking out his new drill just outside my window, every single day, at 7AM, on my vaccation, kinda disturbs my sleep.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2015-01-11 at 10:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Bugbear in the Playground

4 characters starting at level 6 is alright. It's what I did for Pathfinder. Level 6 is also about my favorite level to start/build characters, so I might be biased.

There's no need to be extra generous with healing potions though, as RHoD is *FULL* of healing potions. Most of the rank-and-file soldiers of the Horde have potions, and the commanders have potions, and the bosses have potions. Potions for everybody! While my group haven't finish chapter 1 yet, they still have plenty of potions each now, which they haven't even used yet.

As for the Gish, I personally find Warblade and Wizard to be a good combo and then go into Jade Phoenix Mage. If not JPM, then Abjurant Champion. Abjurant Champion will penalize the caster levels less than JPM, but JPM continues more along the lines of ToB's style, and the Arcane Wrath class feature paired with the Arcane Strike feat makes for pretty explosive damage.

EDIT: I'd personally tone down the re'speccing on the rank-and-file soldiers and sergeants, at least in the beginning, since you have players who seem to still be a bit green to 3.5. I'd go with them as written to start with, and then improve them if you find that the party is having it too easy.
    Last edited by Faily; 2015-01-12 at 01:13 PM.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

4. - Top - End - #904
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    There's no need to be extra generous with healing potions though, as RHoD is *FULL* of healing potions. Most of the rank-and-file soldiers of the Horde have potions, and the commanders have potions, and the bosses have potions. Potions for everybody! While my group haven't finish chapter 1 yet, they still have plenty of potions each now, which they haven't even used yet.

EDIT: I'd personally tone down the re'speccing on the rank-and-file soldiers and sergeants, at least in the beginning, since you have players who seem to still be a bit green to 3.5. I'd go with them as written to start with, and then improve them if you find that the party is having it too easy.
    I'll echo the potion thing. I've really started making sure the enemies use the damn potions since the party has them coming out of their ears. It also makes it a bit more challenging.

I'm not sure about the toning down of the re'speccing. maybe the first couple, but I started my party at 5 and, granted, It was a party of six (which has since dropped to 5) but they haven't had too much trouble with the re'specced forces--well, except for that monk who shoulda known not to jump on Ozzy's back (I did give the player some posthumous cool points, though)

5. - Top - End - #905

I hope The spoiler tags work.

Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    4 characters starting at level 6 is alright. It's what I did for Pathfinder. Level 6 is also about my favorite level to start/build characters, so I might be biased.

As for the Gish, I personally find Warblade and Wizard to be a good combo and then go into Jade Phoenix Mage. If not JPM, then Abjurant Champion. Abjurant Champion will penalize the caster levels less than JPM, but JPM continues more along the lines of ToB's style, and the Arcane Wrath class feature paired with the Arcane Strike feat makes for pretty explosive damage.

Thank you, yes, starting at 6 does sound better, as most builds start to come together with that new feat. And wizard 5/ warblade 1 is that much better than wiz4/wb1. Any tips for feats?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanthalion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll echo the potion thing. I've really started making sure the enemies use the damn potions since the party has them coming out of their ears. It also makes it a bit more challenging.

I'm not sure about the toning down of the re'speccing. maybe the first couple, but I started my party at 5 and, granted, It was a party of six (which has since dropped to 5) but they haven't had too much trouble with the re'specced forces--well, except for that monk who shoulda known not to jump on Ozzy's back (I did give the player some posthumous cool points, though)
    I will keep the potions standard then. We also got a druid and possibly a cleric, so i can flex Red Hand's muscles safely now.

What do you guys recomend for a lv6 party (Dwarven axe/Shield Crusader, TWF shortsword rogue/swordsage, Wiz 5/warblade 1 and druid 6) in terms of gear and magical trinkets? 13k GP each, almost all content allowed.

Also, what to put in the loot?

On a side note, any interesting/exotic mounts that are not game breaking?

Thank you very much for taking the time answer.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2015-01-12 at 08:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    I hope The spoiler tags work.

Thank you, yes, starting at 6 does sound better, as most builds start to come together with that new feat. And wizard 5/ warblade 1 is that much better than wiz4/wb1. Any tips for feats?

I will keep the potions standard then. We also got a druid and possibly a cleric, so i can flex Red Hand's muscles safely now.

What do you guys recomend for a lv6 party (Dwarven axe/Shield Crusader, TWF shortsword rogue/swordsage, Wiz 5/warblade 1 and druid 6) in terms of gear and magical trinkets? 13k GP each, almost all content allowed.

Also, what to put in the loot?

On a side note, any interesting/exotic mounts that are not game breaking?

Thank you very much for taking the time answer.
    Well, my personal philosophy is to, within reason, let the players play what they want (The less optimal the party/characters the better--there's nothing more fun than having the players use their heads to get around a challenge cause they don't have the standard Tank/DPS/Magic User/Healer party.)

And as far as starting equipment, I would tell them "13k" total, but no more than X worth of magical items but I have to write off on the final load out.

In my opinion, flying mounts would kinda break the tension/sense of urgency. Especially when they can potentially get the owls at the end of chapter two. Other than that, just remember that you don't want them to have too easy of a time with the enemies: This module kinda hinges on them actually feeling a sense of danger and reacting appropriately.

7. - Top - End - #907

Well, my personal philosophy is to, within reason, let the players play what they want (The less optimal the party/characters the better--there's nothing more fun than having the players use their heads to get around a challenge cause they don't have the standard Tank/DPS/Magic User/Healer party.)

And as far as starting equipment, I would tell them "13k" total, but no more than X worth of magical items but I have to write off on the final load out.

In my opinion, flying mounts would kinda break the tension/sense of urgency. Especially when they can potentially get the owls at the end of chapter two. Other than that, just remember that you don't want them to have too easy of a time with the enemies: This module kinda hinges on them actually feeling a sense of danger and reacting appropriately.
    They are D&D virgins, so i asked them "Build a storie about a cool character you'd like to play and i will do the math" and i'm still asking for their opinions on the builds. They do have lots of experience on PC RPGs, so i think they will quickly get an eye for "not dying horribly".

Mounts need not fly, just thinking about adding some flavor (and they asked what they could have).

I was thinking along those lines for their gear, do you think 5000 tops on magical items would be a good balance? Should a lv6 party be walking around with all +2 stuff?

Also, where can i get some maps for the encounters to print? Specially those on the module, like the first marauders band. Generic, nice maps would be great as well.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2015-01-12 at 10:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was thinking along those lines for their gear, do you think 5000 tops on magical items would be a good balance? Should a lv6 party be walking around with all +2 stuff?
    IIRC, the 3.5 DMG says that 9.000 gp is standard WBL für 6th level characters. Since normally PCs shouldn't be allowed to spend all their WBL money on a single item, a +2 armor or weapon is out of the question. Limiting magic items to 5.000 sounds a bit harsh to me since for melee characters that means +1 armor, a +1 weapon, and nothing else. Allow them to get a potion or two or something else since there isn't really anything else they can do with that money. Of course it's still your game, and WBL is nothing you must adhere to 100%, but the numbers aren't totally wrong. If it makes you uncomfortable, consider starting your game one level earlier with an introduction adventure that brings all the characters together and allows you to distribute equipment a bit more organically before RHoD kicks in.

Also, where can i get some maps for the encounters to print? Specially those on the module, like the first marauders band. Generic, nice maps would be great as well.
    There are a few maps linked in the first posts of this thread, I made a few (but not of the marauder's attack - yet), otherwise you can find more maps than you'll ever need at DeviantArt, or go look at Paizo's Online Supplements for Dungeon Magazine, each of which contains NPC faces, maps, and the like. You need to make a (free) account to download anything, but I think its one of the best resources for lazy GMs :)
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
    Fallschaden. (Red Hand of Doom Materials!)

9. - Top - End - #909

Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC, the 3.5 DMG says that 9.000 gp is standard WBL für 6th level characters. Since normally PCs shouldn't be allowed to spend all their WBL money on a single item, a +2 armor or weapon is out of the question. Limiting magic items to 5.000 sounds a bit harsh to me since for melee characters that means +1 armor, a +1 weapon, and nothing else. Allow them to get a potion or two or something else since there isn't really anything else they can do with that money. Of course it's still your game, and WBL is nothing you must adhere to 100%, but the numbers aren't totally wrong. If it makes you uncomfortable, consider starting your game one level earlier with an introduction adventure that brings all the characters together and allows you to distribute equipment a bit more organically before RHoD kicks in.

There are a few maps linked in the first posts of this thread, I made a few (but not of the marauder's attack - yet), otherwise you can find more maps than you'll ever need at DeviantArt, or go look at Paizo's Online Supplements for Dungeon Magazine, each of which contains NPC faces, maps, and the like. You need to make a (free) account to download anything, but I think its one of the best resources for lazy GMs :)
    Thank you.

When i was talking about magic items i was thinking about, say, Gloves of Dexterity, Ring of Energy Protection and Anklets of Translocation, not magicaly enhanced weapons and armor.

Also, i think you might be a little mistaken, the WBL for 6th is 13000. DMG I 135.

Lazy GM? Well... Maybe. But after building and optimazing 4 PCs with classes i've never used before... For 4 new players... Well, it took it's toll, but i'm surprised how freakin good some classes can be, specially the rogue/swordsage that turned out monstrously strong. Tome of Battle really is something else.

But i'm not familiar enough with it (like i'm with clerics and wizards) to know manuevers and stances by heart, so i'm thinking about using the MM V suggestions on the first post (instead of the Warblade 4, at least for now), did those work alright?

I'm thinking on puting a ''mini boss fight'' with an interesting monster just to get them used to the mechanics, one player is having a hard time to grasp everything, so i think a little practise before the marauders will do them good. Any suggestions? A chimera, an hydra maybe? Heck, even a (dumb) young adult dragon to get the adrenalin pumping and the dice rolling.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm thinking on puting a ''mini boss fight'' with an interesting monster just to get them used to the mechanics, one player is having a hard time to grasp everything, so i think a little practise before the marauders will do them good. Any suggestions? A chimera, an hydra maybe? Heck, even a (dumb) young adult dragon to get the adrenalin pumping and the dice rolling.
    What you may want to do, especially since you are new to DMing and they are completely new to D&D, if not pen and paper gaming entirely, is to start them at a lower level (3, maybe?) with some sort of simple quest. That way you can get your feet wet, they can organically get some of the items and experience that they need, and then perhaps have the climax of that adventure be in a treasure room or something that has the map/clue leading them to Vrath Keep.

EDIT: for the big drama/reveal stuff, I would probably stay away from introducing a dragon before they meet Ozzy. The way I played it, that was kinda a "Holy ****, this is real" moment for the party.
    Last edited by Kanthalion; 2015-01-14 at 01:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, i think you might be a little mistaken, the WBL for 6th is 13000. DMG I 135.
    You are right, I misremembered and switched a line in the WBL table. Too many games starting at 5th level I guess.

Lazy GM? Well... Maybe. But after building and optimazing 4 PCs with classes i've never used before... For 4 new players... Well, it took it's toll, but i'm surprised how freakin good some classes can be, specially the rogue/swordsage that turned out monstrously strong. Tome of Battle really is something else.
    I meant that in the most positive way possible, not to deride you. It's just that there are a lot of resources available online for free, leaving you more time to work out the really important stuff in your game. In this way, a lazy GM is a clever GM :) Sorry if that came out the wrong way.
    Last edited by Antariuk; 2015-01-15 at 09:44 AM.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust

12. - Top - End - #912

You are right, I misremembered and switched a line in the WBL table. Too many games starting at 5th level I guess.

I meant that in the most positive way possible, not to deride you. It's just that there are a lot of resources available online for free, leaving you more time to work out the really important stuff in your game. In this way, a lazy GM is a clever GM :) Sorry if that came out the wrong way.
    No offense taken, i got it the first time, it's just hard to set a tone without good memes

So, ran first session today, big success, everyone loved the game. I had the ''intro encounter'' be an as-written Manticore and 2 hellhounds (Dragonic, 39 HP, multiattack that they never got to use because of a god damned Slow spell i myself recommended for our gish (that turned out a surprisingly good player), they got slightly banged up, but otherwise ran it fine. Also, the Druid nearly was a paperweight in that fight. Marauders atack i used the Spellscourge (for the bladebearer) that really freaked them out with a crit on the rogue, Red Hand Cleric as-written (kinda underwhelming, any tips?) and mooks as warblades 2.

I want to use the ''leveling up as the story progresses'', when should they get their first level? After Ozzy? What about the next?

13. - Top - End - #913
    Dwarf in the Playground

Red Hand Cleric as-written (kinda underwhelming, any tips?) and mooks as warblades 2.

I want to use the ''leveling up as the story progresses'', when should they get their first level? After Ozzy? What about the next?
    As far as restating the Red Hand forces, the first couple pages of this thread have just about everything you need. :) I don't have ToB so I just took a lot of those as inspiration.

Leveling-wise, I started my party at 5. They leveled after Ozzy, again on the way to the blockade, and they just leveled after Reggie. I figure they'll level sometime in the Ghostlord's Lair and during the battle for Brindol. Maybe with another one before the Thane?
    Last edited by Kanthalion; 2015-01-15 at 10:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leveling-wise, I started my party at 5. They leveled after Ozzy, again on the way to the blockade, and they just leveled after Reggie. I figure they'll level sometime in the Ghostlord's Lair and during the battle for Brindol. Maybe with another one before the Thane?
    Sounds about right to me. Chapter 1, 3, and 4 have the hallmarks of a real "ascension event", and chapter 2 offers all the flexibility one needs to let the characters advance in levels, or not. I think the party should be 10th level before entering the Fane of Tiamat, 11th only if you fear they might be utterly wiped by Azar and his cronies. YMMV, though.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Dwarf in the Playground

Most Pathfinder GMs are probably aware of this, but the PRD has become a real time-saver for everyone who wants to run RHoD with Pathfinder and not spend 329 hours on converting all Red Hand members. The Monster Codex has an entry for Hobgoblins with several builds ready to grab, including higher levels and Mass Combat army units. A lot of the specialist NPCs can be substituted for NPC Codex writeups since nobody will notice if the character in question is really a hobgoblin/spawn of Tiamat/whatever or not.

But I am also looking at the new ACG hybrid classes and the Bloodrager or the Slayer would make great Red Hand bosses. If one doesn't mind bending the rules a little bit, the Hunter class would be perfect for Saarvith/Regiarix since it'd give the wyrmlord much needed synergy with his dragon buddy. I also like the idea of making Ulwai a Skald since she'd be able to boost her monk entourage considerably.

Thoughts?

16. - Top - End - #916
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm running 3.5, but I love the idea of Ulwai as a skald.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Dwarf in the Playground

It would certainly turn every 'lolmonks!" moment into a "what just happened!?" moment when the whole room suddenly manifest rage powers

On an unrelated note: one thing I am still chewing on is why the Azarr Kul didn't send a real dragon alongside Ulwai. It's clear the Red Hand knows how serious a threat the Ghostlord is, and it makes sense to send someone who can sugarcoat things a bit so the Red Hand gets their undead and the Ghostlord stays put, but why a behir? I think I'll make it that the Ghostlord has a powerful anti-dragon item in his possession, maybe a homebrewed minor orb of dragonkind or something, and Azarr Kul suspects something like this and doesn't want to risk losing one of his prized, draconic allies? The bonus here is that if the players decide to engage the Ghostlord (and win) they have a small edge in one of the upcoming dragon encounters, and, from a player's POV, it ties the whole "go into the desert where the undead hermit lives" sidemission closer to the following events since it gives them a real item they can hold onto.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Dwarf in the Playground

My computer sorta died on me (again) and all my plans were delayed, but I have the first chapter of my Pathfinder conversion for Red Hand of Doom ready. The linked PDF contains everything you need to run Chapter 1: The Witchwood, including creatures from the official Bestiaries (convenience and all that). The only exception is the Random Encounter table for the Witchwood, which is hyperlinked instead. I tried to stick to the original writeups in terms of flavor, but tried a few new classes here and there (without using exotic mechanics for each and every creature). For example, Jorr Natherson is now a lycanthrope, and there are Red Hand Bloodragers.

At some points the document offers two different creature statistics (dragons!), so you can choose the one you like better. The reason for this is that I absolutely wanted Ozzy to be a large-sized dragon without having his CR going up like crazy, so I made an alternate version with the Giant Creature template. I continued doing this with all the other dragons and the major Red Hand bosses.

I use average hp, rounded up since in my experience it allows some NPCs to stay alive for one additional round without really increasing their power. If you want to use standard hp, just substract (number of HD x 0.5) from a creature's hp total. I also kept a few magic items that don't officially exist in Pathfinder anymore (Cloak of Charisma, for example) since it doesn't break game balance and makes a nice surprise for experienced players.

PDF: Red Hand of Doom Pathfinder Bestiary - Chapter 1: The Witchwood

The other chapters will follow in time, and a final version with comprehensive creature lists sorted by CR and otherwise will follow the final chapter.

I appreciate criticism and feedback in any form!

19. - Top - End - #919
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My computer sorta died on me (again) and all my plans were delayed, but I have the first chapter of my Pathfinder conversion for Red Hand of Doom ready. The linked PDF contains everything you need to run Chapter 1: The Witchwood, including creatures from the official Bestiaries (convenience and all that). The only exception is the Random Encounter table for the Witchwood, which is hyperlinked instead. I tried to stick to the original writeups in terms of flavor, but tried a few new classes here and there (without using exotic mechanics for each and every creature). For example, Jorr Natherson is now a lycanthrope, and there are Red Hand Bloodragers.
    Why a lycanthrope in particular?

At some points the document offers two different creature statistics (dragons!), so you can choose the one you like better.
    Nice touch, I think.

The reason for this is that I absolutely wanted Ozzy to be a large-sized dragon without having his CR going up like crazy, so I made an alternate version with the Giant Creature template.
    That's an excellent use of those template options, I think. Kudos!

I continued doing this with all the other dragons and the major Red Hand bosses.
    Ooo~ That sounds like that'll be interesting to see, then.
    PDF: Red Hand of Doom Pathfinder Bestiary - Chapter 1: The Witchwood

The other chapters will follow in time, and a final version with comprehensive creature lists sorted by CR and otherwise will follow the final chapter.
    Nice!

I appreciate criticism and feedback in any form!
    Under the Random Encounter table, you have a typo where you spelled "worg" as "word"

Word riders are detailed in the Vraath Keep encounter.
    Will have further feedback as I read, but I think I may be crashing instead.

Edit: About the Bloodragers, are you having them as related to Azar Kull at all?

Also, when it comes to reading the entries, it's a bit annoying that what they are isn't actually stated directly except for in the case of Karkilan, because it references that only Minotaurs have that maze ability, and the worg/dire leopard/dog/hell hound sort of entries because that's the name of their statblock. I'd recommend having their types and subtypes listed separately from their levels, if any, and having their levels, if any, alongside what race+template combo they're rocking.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-01-31 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #920
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Why a lycanthrope in particular?
    I though it makes a nice fit, he is a gruff hermit who lives in the woods and has a lot of dogs around, why not let him be a werewolf?
    My reasoning, although I didn't write that down anywhere, was that, should he survive, he would also be able to recruit others of his kind in case players are starved for allies.

Under the Random Encounter table, you have a typo where you spelled "worg" as "word"
    Thanks, I'm on it.

About the Bloodragers, are you having them as related to Azar Kull at all?
    Yes, absolutely, I made other bloodragers that will appear later during the Elsir War. I though when the Red Hand has sorcerers, why not also angry sorcerers?

Also, when it comes to reading the entries, it's a bit annoying that what they are isn't actually stated directly except for in the case of Karkilan, because it references that only Minotaurs have that maze ability, and the worg/dire leopard/dog/hell hound sort of entries because that's the name of their statblock. I'd recommend having their types and subtypes listed separately from their levels, if any, and having their levels, if any, alongside what race+template combo they're rocking.
    I totally didn't notice that before... thanks for pointing it out!
    Last edited by Antariuk; 2015-01-31 at 09:43 AM.

21. - Top - End - #921

PaladinGuy

I'm working on a more detailed conversion to Greyhawk (and Pathfinder) than the conversions suggested in the old Living Greyhawk days (which amounted to, "just stick it in Sterich"). Can I post details here for other peoples' reference? This is by far the best Red Hand of Doom resource thread I've found anywhere but it doesn't have any Greyhawk information so far and some of my pathfinder conversion (campaign traits, etc) does not appear to have been duplicated by others.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elder_Basilisk View Post
    I'm working on a more detailed conversion to Greyhawk (and Pathfinder) than the conversions suggested in the old Living Greyhawk days (which amounted to, "just stick it in Sterich"). Can I post details here for other peoples' reference? This is by far the best Red Hand of Doom resource thread I've found anywhere but it doesn't have any Greyhawk information so far and some of my pathfinder conversion (campaign traits, etc) does not appear to have been duplicated by others.
    Homebrew Pathfinder campaign traits would definitely be interesting to have linked from wherever you've posted them/the homebrew subforum if not posted here directly. And I know I'd be interesting in seeing more about setting it in Oerth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #923

PaladinGuy

Setting Red Hand of Doom in Greyhawk--considerations:

The Living Greyhawk adaptation set the adventure in the March of Sterich and that had a number of advantages, however there are still some challenges that I address below (feedback is welcome of course).

Why Sterich? Living Greyhawk put it there, but that’s a reason to consider it, not a reason to use it.
    What do you want for RhoD?
    A. A relatively small scale area where the Red Hand would be a serious threat.
    B. An area that is not affected by the large-scale conflicts and forces. The conflicts between Greyhawk and Turrosh Mak, Iuz and Furyondy, the North Kingdom/Great Kingdom and Nyrond/Almor, etc should be a non-factor otherwise they will overshadow the plot. (And any guard or army strong enough to stand off the forces of Iuz or Turrosh Mak or the North Kingdom, etc is strong enough to handle the Red Hand).
    C. An area that provides a reasonable match for the geography. There should be a reason for a road (old or new) to cross a chasm (skull gorge bridge) before coming to a river that is a significant obstacle (Drellin’s Ferry) about 100 or so miles from a small fortified city (Brindol) which is far enough from major borders, army camps, etc that the Red Hand significantly outnumbers the nearby military forces.
    D. An area that is politically decentralized and/or disorganized so that Brindol or its equivalent does not expect immediate aid from Dennovar and such that whether or not to aid Brindol is a decision the Dennovar equivalents would make rather than a duty of whoever commands Dennovar’s military with no need for a political decision to be made.

Sterich fits all of those criteria. Most other areas of Greyhawk fail one or more. The Theocracy of the Pale is isolated and borders mountain ranges, but is much more heavily populated, highly centralized and organized, and doesn’t have any location with the right combination of geographic features. Perrenland is isolated and has relatively weak leadership (above the canton level) but the geography doesn’t match very well and it is too heavily populated. Krestible or Clatsberg might work for Brindol but it’s more of a stretch.

Another reason for Sterich is that Sterich is a great area for adventuring. Based on the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer population, the population of Sterich is less than 1/4 what you would expect based on the terrain and medieval demographics and is recovering from being completely overrun by monsters a few years ago. It is also a feudal nation described as a veritable hive of low nobility and where most of the records of noble patents have been destroyed in the invasion. Furthermore, it does not have a strong central government and the nobles have been known to come into violent conflict with each other. For D&D adventurers, the population density means that there are ruins everywhere with probably three or four ruined structures (keeps, temples, villages, farmhouses, etc) for every one in active use. More adventure sites than you can shake a stick at. Not only that, but the hive of low nobility and poor record keeping means that it is quite possible for a crafty adventurer with wealth, connections, and a friend who's able to forge a "lost" patent of nobility to become a landed noble. The fact that lots of people have been doing exactly that means that the bar for creating new patents and knighthoods should be lower too. So, you can adventure in lots of ruined settlements, become a noble, and play the game of thrones. What more could an adventurer or DM want?
    Last edited by Elder_Basilisk; 2015-02-19 at 02:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924

PaladinGuy

Scale: The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer version of Sterich is small enough that an army of 3340+ hobgoblins, 120 ogres, 22 hill giants, and miscellaneous dragons, monsters and champions could be a major threat to the nation. Sterich's standing army (answering to the Marchioness) appears to be 1500 halberdiers and unspecified numbers of light infantry and light cavalry plus the soldiers available to the local barons and counts. That would probably be outmatched by the horde (as it should be) and the scale of Brindol's standing army (almost 200 men) is consistent with what a significant baron or count might be expected to have given the size of the Marchioness's army.

On the face of it, a 3500 hobgoblin and monster horde attacking a march with a population of 112,000 would not have much hope. However, just like the Red Hand in the module is not planning on taking on all of the cities of the vale at once, they don't have to take on all of Sterich at once and the forces available to the county (about the size of the area in RHoD as published) are actually inferior to those of the Red Hand. There are also political factors that make a piecemeal approach viable.
    Spoiler: Demographic observations sidebar
    Show
    (Though it’s not too bad. According to http://www.writing-world.com/sf/hordes.shtml no historical nation ever managed to keep more than 7% of its population under arms for a whole campaign season without causing a famine, so even with a full muster for Sterich, the Red Hand would only be outnumbered 2 to 1 or so in a straight up fight. Presumably the Red Hand is not worried about famine since there are probably not 50,000 hobgoblins loyal to the Red Hand hiding in the Crystalmists*. They must have acheived a higher percentage of mobilization--they must be counting on looting in the short term and have laid up stocks of food in their bases and in Fane of Tiamat for the medium term. That said, there could be quite a few hobgoblins in the mountains. There are four and a half hexes or so of alpine valley around a small lake in the Crystalmists at the Northwest end of Sterich on Anna Meyer's map. Medieval population densities varied between 30 and 100 inhabitants per square mile depending upon how good the terrain was. (A nice article is here: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm ) Assuming that the hobgoblins do not make much use of the underground, there could be about 18,700 hobgoblins and slaves in those hexes at 30 inhabitants per square mile or 31,000 with 50 per square mile. At 50/square mile, the Red Hand horde is just a little bit above the 7% level. At 100 per square mile, they would be able to field another army the same size and would approach being comparable to all of Sterich in population but that's giving some marginal alpine valleys the population density of the fertile areas of medieval France--not too credible. If want to increase the size of the army or have a long term threat after the defeat of the horde, you could assume high population densities based on extensive underground habitations and some level of underground food production in additional hexes. The reason that it compares so favorably to Sterich is because Sterich's population density is well below 10 inhabitants per square mile. This is very low but potentially reasonable given that Sterich was completely overrun within the last decade (assuming a 594 or so time frame).

Narrative consequences of relative population densities:
    A. Sterich. Sterich is still devastated from the war. There are probably 2-3 ruined villages or destroyed manors and farmsteads for every active one. The land is dotted with ruins and is settled only in stretches along navigable waterways and by natural resources. Most of the land is fallow or reverting to wilderness.
    B. The lands of the Red Hand. When the PCs venture to the Fane of Tiamat, if they pass through the land of the Red Hand tribes--your choice, they will find them relatively densely inhabited with gangs of slaves (probably goblins if the hobgoblins have killed or sacrificed all of their human and demi-human prisoners) tending herds or farming plantations in every valley.
    C. When the Red Hand is defeated and the humanoid tribes return to infighting, the population density will probably fall and adventurers traveling through the area will find more devastated areas and probably more human and demi-human slaves.

Isolation: Sterich was invaded by giants at the same time as Geoff but according to the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, they were driven out of Sterich. Other than a border pass with the war torn duchy of Geoff, Sterich is isolated from the major conflicts of Oerth.

Geography:
    The geography doesn’t quite match. Sterich is notably short of woodlands and the Witchwood is a significant feature of the map in the adventure. There is also no large desert area obviously corresponding to the Thornwaste.

Matching up the geography requires a bit of adaptation.
    Using Anna B’s Greyhawk map (which extends the Crystalmists a bit further east than most of the hex maps do http://ghmaps.net/wordpress/wp-conte...h130418-02.jpg ), shows several tributaries of the Davish river which could enable a good match to the position of Drellin’s Ferry and the Skull Gorge bridge. It offers two obvious candidates for Brindol: Bova and Mittleberg:
    1. Bova
    A. Advantages: The lake to the North could provide a good location of Rhest. The valleys to the west offer a good potential location for the Witchwood (which would be described as small enough that it doesn’t give Sterich as a whole any significant source of timber though it is naturally good for the local economy when it is safe enough to log) and Skull Gorge. (The northernmost valley shows the road crossing a small river which is a good location for Drellin’s Ferry and then proceeding to a ruined fortress in the mountains which offers possible locations for Skull Gorge) Whichever western valley is not selected as the Witchwood/Vraath keep location can become a haunted valley that is the adapted Thornwaste. Finally, on Anna’s map, Bova is the right size to be Brindol.
    B. Disadvantage: Bova is also close to Istvin and might reasonably expect the Marchioness to take threat to it seriously. The Marchioness has to make a serious strategic error in order to delay responding long enough for the siege of Bova to take place as the siege of Brindol is written. Kalibac could also potentially send assistance to Bova quickly enough to alter the siege. (Though maybe it’s too small to make a difference). Strake Terrace is also in a position to aid but will be cut off as soon as the horde passes Nimon Gap.
    2. Mittleberg.
    A. Advantages: In all canon I can find other than Anna’s map, Mittleberg is larger than Bova, so according to the majority of canon, it is probably a better candidate for Brindol in terms of size. It is also about the right distance from Headwater to make the timeframe in the adventure work without adaptation or searching for additional explanations. It is further from Istvin than Bova is.
    B. Disadvantages: There is no obvious candidate location for the sunken city of Rhest. The Thornwaste would need to become a haunted alpine valley in the Jotens. There is no obvious location for Skull Gorge either and the best canon location for the Red Hand’s home territory (the mountain lake which is the source of the Davish) is away from the road leading through Headwater, making it unlikely that an existing bridge like Skull Gorge would be strategically important. The horde needs to cross the Davish, but they could do so anywhere and would probably need to build the bridge themselves. While Mittleberg is further from Istvin than Bova, is is only about 20 miles further, the road from Mittleberg to Istvin is better, and it does not pass through obvious chokepoints like the hills south of Kragmere. Finally, Poignard’s presence as a small fortified town nearby that is arguably even more exposed than Mittleberg would seem to complicate the strategic situation for the Horde. I suppose that they could probably be besieged by a detachment of 200-500 hobgoblins while the main horde storms Mittleberg and cuts them off from the possibility of relief from Mittleberg or Istvin. Kalibac or Bova could potentially relieve Poignard but might not choose to do so due to politics or separate threats from the Crystalmists (real or imagined). Also, the roads from the North to Poignard either run through the mountains and could potentially be held against a superior relieving force or to prevent Poignard from reinforcing Mittleberg.

I have not started the campaign yet, but for me the map looks like the deciding factor and I think the story would play out best with Bova used for Brindol.

Political Climate.
    Several major political factors work in the horde's favor.
    A. The Keoish promise of wealth for freeing each barony and the precedent of legal and physical battles between claimants to real estate might lead to other counts and barons deliberately slow-walking any aid to Lord Jaarmath, denying aid entirely, or even sabotaging his efforts against the horde in the hope of being able to gain land and wealth by reclaiming his baronies after the horde slaughters his people.
    B. The listed good alignment for Sterich might seem to complicate this game of thrones-esque scenario but: 1. The alignment of individual barons and counts does not need to match the general alignment of the country. A country can be listed as “LG, NG, LN*” and still have one LE and two LN counts out of the seven. Presumably Count Jaarmath is the NG, that still leaves room for three LG counts if you want the power structure to match the inhabitants’ alignments proportionally. 2. The power structure does not need to match the alignment of the population. In fact, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer marks the alignment of most local government and law enforcement officials with an asterisk. That means that four LN counts, one NG count, one LG count, and on LE count would be something like the expected distribution based on canon. If the three nearest significant players are LN, LN, and LE, game of thrones-esque power plays rather than immediate assistance would be expected. 3. Alignment is not immutable. Individuals can change alignment over time as evil characters repent and good characters are tempted and compromise their way into neutrality or evil. Even if a particular count or baron’s alignment isn’t shifting, they can sometimes do things that are out of character. For example, during the initial invasion of Sterich by King Galmoor’s horde, King Skotti of Keoland who is ostensibly LG delayed sending aid until it was too late, and instead made an offer of aid which was conditional upon resolution of some disputed silver mines. Thus it is likely that the nearest baronies and counties are LN and possible that they are even ruled by evil men. And even if the nearest count were officially LG, it is possible that he might not send aid immediately. The game of thrones is on and the Red Hand will profit from it.
    C. Additionally, the assistance that could come from the neighboring baronies is relatively small. The standing army of Brindol/Bova is about 200 men at arms in the module. Bova is one of the larger cities in Sterich and based on the area I am assigning to Bova couty, it is in one of the larger counties in Sterich. Thus one would expect the nearby counties to have somewhat fewer troops at their immediate disposal. Even if they were inclined to help (which they might not be—see above), they would probably not send their entire strength but would retain some soldiers to keep the peace and prevent their enemies from taking advantage of their weakness. (In Game of Thrones, Rob Stark paid dearly for emptying Winterfell of its garrison and the lords of Sterich might be concerned about suffering a similar fate). Since Sterich is a feudal society, mustering all of the forces at their command would most likely be a time consuming effort. Each baron would call upon his retainers and then gather under the count. Barons who were concerned for their own lands, disputing with their count, or simply incompetent (not that there would be many military incompetents in the newly liberated Sterich though economic or judicial incompetence could have ruined some baronies militaries) might delay or outright refuse to muster. So limited assistance would be available within the time frame—most likely only the personal retainers/standing armies of the nearest counts and barons. At best, Bova might obtain a few hundred men at arms from Kalibac or Strake’s Terrace which is in line with the number of Shining Axe reinforcements in the module.
    D. The greater danger to the Red Hand would be the Marchioness’s standing army. It is well commanded even if the Marchioness is withdrawn, manipulated by her council (and possibly outside forces as well), and is large enough to make a big difference in the battle of Brindol/Bova.
    E. The Marquis's absence and the Marchioness's reclusiveness would be likely to prevent any strong coordinated response to the attack that would disrupt the events in the adventure. Azar Kul might reasonably expect to gain more recruits from other Crystalmist and Jotuns humanoids and sacrifice enough prisoners from his conquests of the first county to be able to march on Istvin and potentially conquer it before Keoland could intervene. (Assuming King Skotti decided to do anything at all this time--after all, he let King Galmoor conquer Sterich without any opposition).
    F. However, Azar Kul would be foolish to rely upon her indecision for his battle plans success. Even if she dallies, once the size of his horde is known, she will have to do something since it represents a danger to Istvin as well as Bova and even assuming a long delay, her army could march to Bova from Istvin in a week which leaves plenty of time. And even if it arrives too late to save Bova, it would be a formidable foe to the weakened Red Hand. No potential natural allies would be able to join the Red Hand before the Marchioness’ troops could bring them to battle.
    G. Therefore, Azar Kuul has several responses.
    1. This is why he is taking Bova/Brindol by storm rather than besieging it. A siege would be less costly but would pin his army in place long enough that he would have to fight the Marchioness and other counts.
    2. In order to prevent the Marchioness from relieving Brindol, he will dispatch Tyrgarun, any dragons (other than Abiathrix) that survived the first three parts, and some other small but highly mobile forces (manticores or wyverns--or possibly a force of goblin worgriders) to watch the pass that leads from Istvin to Bova and do some raiding and despoiling in the rural areas surrounding Istvin. Doing this is likely to spread out the Marchioness’ forces and remind her to hold more in reserve if she does send aid to Bova. Also, several dragons and a small mobile force could delay even a large army in the pass for long enough for the Red Hand to take Bova by storm.
    3. Immediately after Brindol, Azar Kul’s plan depends upon infernal aid. Thus, the summoning in the final act is not his fall-back plan but rather the next stage of his plan. If he succeeds in taking Bova, his next step is to use the infernal aid that he summons to march on Istvin. By doing so, he can deprive Sterich of any unified command structure, eliminate the most powerful standing army, and then take on the other counts and areas of Sterich piecemeal. Additional infernal reinforcements and humanoids and giants from the Jotuns, etc would be able to arrive in time to enable him to stand off the forces that Keoland might be able to spare for another war of liberation—if they bothered at all.
    4. This calls for some foreshadowing and a few changes. Rather than having the Red Hand simply kill or eat all of the humans it comes across, a plan depending upon infernal aid seems likely to require lots of blood sacrifices. Therefore, the Red Hand would take care to scour the countryside for any humans who did not flee in time and would try to stabilize or capture as many as possible—especially those which would make good sacrifices (high level foes, paladins, good clerics, nobility, virgins, etc) and send them back to the fane of Tiamat for sacrifice. Escapees from the horde might tell tales of trains of prison wagons carrying victims back and when the PCs reach the fane, they might find piles of the skulls and bones of the sacrificial victims.
    5. As a storytelling option, it also makes the “captive” scenario much more plausible since high level good aligned foes like the PCs would make excellent sacrifices, so it would make sense for the Red Hand to stabilize and transport them rather than simple coup de grace them all after a total party defeat.
    Last edited by Elder_Basilisk; 2015-02-19 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Further demographic research

25. - Top - End - #925

PaladinGuy

Next up, my map of Sterich updated with small towns and other important RHoD info (any suggestions for how to do that? I just copy pasted onto Anna's map but I may need to do something by hand due to copyright--and I'd probably need to anyway to replace the player handouts)

And, of course my campaign traits. And possibly a few Pathfinder statblocks in progress. (Kharn as an Inquisitor, Saarvith as a bolt-ace gunslinger, etc).
    Last edited by Elder_Basilisk; 2015-02-18 at 04:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Dwarf in the Playground

As someone with zero experience in playing Greyhawk I have to Google all the names and locations to make sense of it, but your project sounds pretty cool!

27. - Top - End - #927

PaladinGuy

So the maps. First, an adaptation of Anna Meyer's excellent map of Sterich with some of the Red Hand of Doom locations added in. Unfortunately, the Witchwood is just a label since my image manipulation skills are not good enough to add a forest that would match up with the visual quality of the rest of the map.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...h-campaign.jpg

Second, a hand-drawn player map with a few more locations including the Witchwood.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...%20labeled.jpg

A handout version of the map in Koth's quarters--untranslated

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...translated.jpg

Finally, a handout version of the map in Koth's quarters for once the players translate it

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...0processed.jpg

28. - Top - End - #928

PaladinGuy

And campaign traits--note that I am starting the campaign at level 1 and running several adventures before the Red Hand begins. In a game starting at higher levels, some of the traits might be adjusted and the additional equipment would be unnecessary. The goal of the traits is to tie the characters to Bova or Drellin's Ferry and give them some built-in extra motivation for the adventure. If a player chose Tiri Kitor envoy, it would ruin the surprise of the elves but it would provide some excellent motivation for the players to go to part 2. They're not perfectly balanced (Veteran, for example seems weak, would a +2 to constitution checks for forced marches help?) and I'd welcome suggestions for making them better balanced or obvious character backgrounds that should get a campaign trait and I didn't consider.

Apprentice: as a child, you were apprenticed to the halfling patriarch and abjurer, Sertien the Wise. Whether or not you turned out to have any talent for spellcasting, you did learn the working of spells and how to resist them.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus on saves against arcane spells. In addition, you gain a +1 trait bonus to charisma based skill checks with halflings and a +2 bonus with Sertien the wise and his family. You also gain a scroll of flaming sphere.

Caravan Guard: Since you reached age, you have made your living carrying a sword, axe, or club to warn off bandits. You were most recently hired through Eldremma Axenhaft to guard a merchant caravan to the frontier.
    Benefit: +1 trait bonus to Intimidate and Perception and Intimidate is always a class skill. In addition, you gain a +1 trait bonus to charisma based skill checks with caravan guards and mercenaries. You also gain a potion of cure light wounds and an extra 50gp to spend on equipment.

Chalice Chapel Trained: Prerequisite. Must worship Heironeous. You trained in the Heironean chapterhouse of the Order of the Chalice, a few miles outside Istivin. They a curious mix of traditional Heironean teaching (they only read the scriptures and conduct worship in the original Old Oeridian) and more modern Heironean tactics and emphasize the use of the longsword as much as the battle axe.
    Benefit: You gain Old Oeridian as a bonus language and gain proficiency in longsword. Knowledge: Planes is always a class skill for you and you gain a +1 trait bonus to damage rolls against evil outsiders. You also begin play with an oil of bless weapon, a vial of holy water, and a scroll of cure light wounds.

Liberated Slave: When King Galmoor’s forces overran Sterich, you did not escape but were captured and enslaved. While you endured a hellish existence under their inhuman yoke, you were one of the lucky ones. You lived. You endured the lash, the field, and the fighting pits for over two years, then managed to hide or escape when Baron Wiston’s company slew your masters seven years ago.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Bluff and Sense Motive and one of those skills (your choice) is always a class skill for you. You also gain a +2 trait bonus to stabilization checks. You gain a free patched suit of leather, studded leather, or hide armor originally made for a Hobgoblin, a slightly curved, single edged hobgoblin longsword or shortsword, and a life lease on a cottage on Baron Wiston’s personal estate.

Merchant Family: You are a child of an Istvin merchant who used to trade extensively with the frontier. In your early teens, after extensive losses to a group of highwaymen known as the Black Knives, your merchant house went bankrupt. Now, while you have an education running a business and a knack for trade, you lack capital. A trip to the frontier and perhaps a bit of adventure seemed like a good way to earn some capital.
    Benefit: You increase the gp limit of any settlement by 20% and can resell items at an additional 10% over the amount of gp you normally would get from selling off treasure.

Militia: You came of age on the frontier of liberated Sterich. While tilling your family’s fields or watching your family’s cattle, you were constantly on the lookout for humanoid warbands come down to raid the frontier and always ready to respond to the militia summons if the warband raided someone else’s farmstead.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Initiative and Perception. You gain proficiency with light armor, light shields, and longspears. You also gain a +2 trait bonus to charisma based skill checks with Soren Amra or the militia. You also gain a small cottage on an acre of land within 5 miles of Drellin’s Ferry.

Monster Hunter: You came to the county from Istvin or perhaps even from the Keoish crown lands in search of monsters to hunt. While you have not found one so far, Count Jaarmath’s proclamation of a hippogriff hunt lured you to the frontier.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to attack and damage against abberations and magical beasts. At character creation, you may purchase two of the same light or one-handed weapon—one in cold iron and the other in alchemical silver—for the cost of a single normal weapon.

Of the Clanholds: Prerequisite: Dwarf. Clan Coalhewer, Redsteel, or Silvermount. Your clan retreated to the clanhold and shut themselves behind their hidden gates in the bowels of the mountains when King Galmoor’s humanoids over-ran Sterich. You spent the last decade of your youth enduring privation and under constant discipline as your clan struggled to survive. Now that the humanoids who besieged you have been driven back, you ventured out of the clanhold to see the world and trade the goods of your clan for human crops.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to charisma based skill checks with clanhold dwarves. Your darkvision extends to 90 feet instead of the normal 60, but you take a –2 to saving throws with the light descriptor and are dazzled for one round whenever you enter an area of bright light. Your starting armor or shield may be masterwork at no additional cost.

Outcast: You are a deserter from the war in Geoff, the lone survivor of your unit mustered out due to your injuries in the battle that killed your unit, an outcast from your tribe, or an exile from your city. Maybe you really did what you were accused of. Maybe you had to flee an unjust verdict. Either way, you have wandered without a home until you arrived in Sterich.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Survival and Survival is always a class skill for you. You gain a +2 bonus to Fortitude saves against weather and a +2 bonus to constitution checks for forced marches. You gain a healer’s kit, and cold weather gear.

Squire of Hillwatch Keep: Prerequisite: Must worship Heironeous. Shortly after the liberation of Sterich, pledged your life to the service of the Invincible and Valorous Knight and joined the Heironean Knights of the Vale—perhaps in admiration for their valor and ideals or perhaps to avoid punishment for a minor crime. You spent the next six years praying, training, and watching vigilantly to keep the undead of the Haunted Vale from spreading to Bova and Crystalmist counties. Now that your training is complete, you have been dispatched for a pilgrimage of a year and a day to discover and right wrongs before returning to Hillwatch Keep to report what you have done and hopefully be ordained as a Knight of the Order.
    Benefit: You gain Celestial as a bonus language spoken. You may choose one of the following additional benefits: +1 trait bonus to melee damage against Undead or +1 to the DC of Channel energy when used to damage undead. You also gain proficiency in the use of the battle axe. You also either gain a set of scrolls including two magic weapon, one remove fear, and one cure light wounds spell or an oil of magic weapon and two flasks of holy water.

Temple Raised: After your parents were killed and your farmstead burned during a goblin raid, Brother Derny, the local priest of Pelor took you in and raised you.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Knowledge: Religion and Knowledge: Nobility and one of those is always a class skill for you. Additionally, you gain either +1 caster level on [healing] spells or a +1 trait bonus to saves against spells and spell-like affects from evil sources. You also gain four scrolls of cure light wounds and a wooden holy symbol of Pelor or Mayaheine (your choice) at the start of the game.

Tiri Kitor Envoy: Prerequisite: Elf or Half-elf. You are a member of the Tiri Kitor clan of wild elves who have watched over the blackfens since the fall of the ancient city of Rhest. From time to time, young elves will leave the clan to travel through and learn of the constantly changing world of men.
    Benefit: if you have an Intelligence of 11 or higher, you gain the following spell like abilities once per day: comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, and read magic. This replaces the Elven Magic racial trait. You also gain a +4 trait bonus to swim checks and a +2 trait bonus to charisma based skill checks with other Tiri Kitor elves. You gain your choice of 10 masterwork arrows or 2 scrolls, each containing a first level spell of your choice.

Veteran: You came to Sterich with the Marquis’s army of liberation. You did not see much combat but you trained, marched, and endured hardship as you drove the giants and humanoids from the frontier. After the war died down, you tried your hand at settling down, but for whatever reason—a desire for excitement, for the close bonds of friendship, losing the farm to a bad harvest, losing your family to sickness or raiding humanoids—you have taken up the sword again.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Fortitude saves and a +1 trait bonus to charisma based skill checks with soldiers. You gain proficiency in one martial polearm if not already proficient. You gain an extra 100gp to spend on starting equipment.

Woodsman: You grew up in the shadow of the Witchwood, trapping and cutting timber for a living. You lost close friends or family members to goblin raids and worked with Old Jorr to track down and kill some of those goblin raiders.
    Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Survival and Survival is always a class skill for you. Additionally, you gain a +1 trait bonus to hit goblins (but not other goblinoids) and a +2 trait bonus to charisma based skill checks with the woodsmen of the Witchwood. You gain a potion of cure light wounds.
    Last edited by Elder_Basilisk; 2017-06-13 at 11:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #929

PaladinGuy

Degrees of Victory

Some thoughts on the aftermath of the battle of Brindol (Bova).

Reading a few campaign journals, and based on my experience, a lot of parties will blow the 40 VP minimum out of the water. I like that the party can win the fights and still fail if they didn't acquire enough victory points, however, it seems that there should be degrees of victory as well. The party that just manages to crest 40 VPs and defeat the Red Hand should not get the same result as the party that amasses 74 VPs.

The following is a very rough draft of some possible consequences for victory. All of the locations and political consequences refer to my map linked above but could probably be adapted to a base Elsir Vale setting.

Spoiler: Political Players list to help make sense of the consequences
    Show
    Some political players to give background on the consequences.
    Count Jaarmath Bova is Lord Jaarmath of the module. He is good, noble, and rules one of the largest baronies in Sterich. Under his rule, Bova has grown to be the second most important city in Sterich. He has, however, made a number of enemies along the way.

Count Tondhere of Elnore county to the north is one of the LE counts in Sterich and has been an enemy of Count Bova (Lord Jaarmath of Brindol in the module) since the war of liberation. The westernmost outpost of his realm (and second most important town) is Strake Terrace. During the war, he will do his best to withhold any aid to Bova county and will merely fortify Strake Terrace. Eliminating the Witchwood timber operation will make his northern trade route through the Starkmounds the most important source of timber (perhaps the only source of timber) for most of Sterich. He also sees an opportunity to gain the eastern Rhest valley--and possibly the northwestern Elsir Vale for his county if he has the forces to retake them and Count Bova does not. Possession is nine tenths of the law after all. Finally, seeing his enemy humiliated or killed appeals to him.

Ryce Fitzbova is Count Bova's bastard (in all senses of the word) halfbrother. He was banished from Bova county for various crimes but found refuge in Elnore County where he has been hired by Count Tondhere to command a company of mercenary cavalry. Count Tondhere sees him as a useful tool to strike at Count Bova both due to his martial and military skill and his family relationship. He is also a useful cutout for Count Tondhere's intrigues against Count Bova. Any assassins, or other skullduggery will be traced back to Ryce Fitzbova rather than Count Tondhere--even if the count is pulling his strings.

Baron Ecgtheow of Strake Terrace is Count Tondhere's most important vassal but is also a friend of Count Jaarmath Bova who saved his life during the war of liberation and is a far more just ruler than Baron Ecgtheow's liege lord. His importance, friendship with Count Bova, and strategic position have so far kept Bova and Elnore counties from coming to military conflict. Count Tondhere has stationed Ryce Fitzbova in Strake Terrace partly to keep an eye on him (in addition to the reasons listed above). If the Red Hand got rid of Baron Ecgtheow for Count Tondhere, the count would be quite grateful--as long as he didn't lose Strake Terrace in the bargain.

Count Osric of Crystalmist County is Count Bova's most important ally. He was a friend of Count Bova's father before the war and married Jaarmath Bova's aunt. Unfortunately, he is now too old to be a formidable figure on the field of battle anymore and his surviving sons do not have much experience. Crystalmist county is the smallest and poorest of the seven counties of Sterich, and they are constantly threatened by the undead of the Haunted Valley (the result of the ghostlord) and the humanoids of the Crystalmists. Nevertheless, he will send several hundred men at arms under the command of his oldest son if Count Bova's messenger gets through. (These would potentially replace the company of the Shining Axe in the battle of Brindol).

Marchioness Emondrav is the wife of the missing Marquis of Sterich and is the titular ruler in his absence. She has been very reclusive since his disappearance and has only publicly appeared to announce laws passed in concert with the assembly of the barons. Rumors place her under the influence of dark forces--or at least under the influence of her advisors and she is slow to take decisive action. This, and Tyrgarun's seizure of the path at Marthon will prevent any reinforcements from her army at Istivin from reaching Bova prior to the battle of Bova/Brindol.

Spoiler: 40-44 out of 74. The Tide is Stopped
    Show
    40-44 out of 74. The Tide is Stopped
    The forces of Bova/Brindol are exhausted but the hobgoblin horde retreats in good order. The next in command (Ulwai, Skather, whoever is left) is able to rally their forces. They fortify Talar and Witchcross as forward outposts and fortify Nimon gap and the bridge over the Elsir as bases of operations for reserves and fallback locations. They settle in for the long haul and prepare to resume offensive operations when Azar Kuul's ritual brings in fiendish reinforcements.

Adventure consequences: When the PCs go after the fane of Tiamat, they will be in hostile territory for their entire journey.
    Longer term consequences: The entire northwestern end of the Elsir Vale is in hobgoblin hands and more Crystalmist and Jotuns humanoids may join them. They may send envoys to the giants in Geoff to broach the subject of joint operations against the trade route through the Starkmounds and Elnore county.
    Witchcross and the Rhest valley will become a wasted battleground as the forces of Elnore county skirmish with the Red Hand. In order to secure even that amount of aid from Elnore county, Count Bova will be forced to formally concede Witchcross and all of the Rhest valley north of Nimon gap and east of the Rhestflow to Count Tondhere of Elnore county. (The most likely arrangement would probably be a marriage alliance betrothing Count Bova's daughter to one of Count Tondhere's sons and including that area as a dowry). He might even be forced to adopt his bastard half-brother Ryce Fitzbova (an ally of Count Tondhere) as his heir.
    Count Bova's forces will be largely spent and unable to mount offensive operations. Even when the Marchioness' army arrives, the combined forces of Count Bova, the Marchioness and Elnore county will have difficulty mounting offensive operations across the river against the Red Hand. The other crystalmist humanoid tribes will be emboldened by the Red Hands' success and will prevent any further assistance from Crystalmist county. Bova itself will remain in the hands of Sterich but as a forward military fortification rather than a city. Bova county will effectively be reduced to the eastern Elsir Vale from Bova to Marthon and will no longer wield influence in the assembly of the barons.

Spoiler: 45-50 out of 74. The tide is Turned
    Show
    45-50 out of 74. The tide is Turned
    The forces of Bova/Brindol are exhausted but the hobgoblin horde is broken and unable to mount offensive actions. The hobgoblins flee but the next in command (Ulwai, Skather, whoever is left) is able to rally their forces at Nimon Gap. They destroy the bridge over the Elsir and fortify Nimon Gap, hoping to regroup and hold out long enough for Azar Kul's fiendish reinforcements to save the day.

Adventure consequences: When the PCs go after the fane of Tiamat, they will be in hostile territory as soon as they cross the Elsir.
    Longer term consequences: The entire northwestern end of the Elsir Vale is in hobgoblin hands and more Crystalmist and Jotuns humanoids may join them. They may send envoys to the giants in Geoff to broach the subject of joint operations against the trade route through the Starkmounds and Elnore county.
    Witchcross and the Rhest valley will become a wasted battleground as the forces of Elnore county skirmish with the Red Hand. The eastern Rhest valley will still be ceded to Elnore county in return for military aid. While Count Bova may be unable to avoid making a marriage alliance with Count Tondhere of Elnore county, he will only required to pardon Ryce Fitzbova's crimes.
    The other humanoids of the Crystalmists will be emboldened and their attacks will prevent Crystalmist or Mittleberg counties from sending any further aid.
    Count Bova's forces will be able to follow up their victory long enough to re-take Talar and fortify it but will not be able to attempt crossing the Elsir until the Marchioness provides reinforcements. Even then, the Red Hand will hold out in Nimon Gap for a long time. Bova will rebuild, but the western Elsir Vale will be lost to Sterich for some time.

Spoiler: 51-58 out of 74 Pushing Back
    Show
    51-58 out of 74 Pushing Back
    The forces of Bova/Brindol are greatly weakened but the hobgoblin horde is broken and unable to mount offensive actions. The hobgoblins flee but the next in command (Ulwai, Skather, whoever is left) is able to rally some of their forces at Nimon Gap. They are able to destroy the bridge over the Elsir before Count Bova can get his full forces across it, but do not have the morale to attack the beachhead. Instead, they fortify Nimon Gap, and hope to hold out long enough for Azar Kul's fiendish reinforcements to save the day.

Adventure consequences: When the PCs go after the fane of Tiamat, they will be in hostile territory shortly after crossing the Elsir
    Longer term consequences: Count Bova's forces will be able to follow up their victory long enough to re-take Talar and fortify it and will be pushing the Red Hand's forces hard, only to be slowed by the destruction of the bridge near Nimon Gap. Most of the northwestern Elsir Vale is in hobgoblin hands, but not for long. With reinforcements from the Marchioness, Count Bova will be able to drive the Red hand back to the Witchwood though he will be unable to pursue them across the river at Drellin's Ferry. The crushing defeat of the Red hand dissuades any of the other tribes of the Crystalmists or Jotuns from joining the attack and enables Count Osric of Crystalmist county to send additional forces from Kalibac.
    Witchcross and the Rhest valley are recovered quickly as Baron Ecgetheow and Ryce Fitzbova (with the assent of Count Tondhere) sweep away any Red Hand forces in the vicinity of Witchcross. Count Bova will probably have to pardon Ryce Fitzbova and will grant some other minor concessions to Count Tondhere (most likely agreeing not to organize opposition to some of his proposals in the assembly of barons) but will not concede large swathes of territory.
    Bova county will retain most of its former territory, but Drellin's Ferry will only be rebuilt as a garrison to guard against future incursions from the Witchwood and Terrelton will be a shadow of its former self.

Spoiler: 59-70 out of 74 Driving the Red Hand Before You
    Show
    59-70 out of 74 Driving the Red Hand Before You
    The forces of Bova/Brindol are weakened but the hobgoblin horde is broken and unable to mount offensive actions. The hobgoblins flee and the next in command (Ulwai, Skather, whoever is left) is unable to rally enough of their forces to hold Nimon Gap, but manages to gather 10-30% of the original force at Terrelton when Count Bova's forces have to stop in order to consolidate their supply lines after the battle of Nimon Gap.

Adventure consequences: When the PCs go after the fane of Tiamat, they will have to avoid the remains of the hobgoblin army at Terrelton (unless they attempt to obliterate them) and will be in enemy territory once they pass it.
    Longer term consequences: Witchcross and the Rhest valley will be quickly recovered as Baron Ecgetheow and Ryce Fitzbova (with the assent of Count Tondhere) sweep away any Red Hand forces in the vicinity of Witchcross. Count Bova will probably have to pardon Ryce Fitzbova and will reward Baron Ecgetheow, strengthening his hand as a peacemaker.
    When the Marchioness' forces arrive, Count Bova will annihilate the last remnants of the Red Hand at Terrelton and pursue them to the edge of the Witchwood. Of the 3500 plus hobgoblins and monsters who marched on Bova, fewer than 10% will return to their homes in the Starkmounds.
    Bova county will retain most of its former territory, and Drellin's Ferry will rebuild as the crushing defeat of the Red Hand forces makes the Witchwood a much safer place to harvest timber.

Spoiler: 71-74 out of 74 Total Victory
    Show
    71-74 out of 74 Total Victory
    The forces of Bova/Brindol are weakened but the hobgoblin horde is broken and unable to rally. Count Bova's forces harry them to the edge of the Witchwood before stopping to consolidate their forces and secure supply lines at Drellin's Ferry..

Adventure consequences: When the PCs go after the fane of Tiamat, they will be in friendly territory until the reach the Witchwood.
    Longer term consequences: Witchcross and the Rhest valley will be quickly recovered as Baron Ecgetheow (with the assent of Count Tondhere) sweeps away the few Red Hand forces who fled to the north. Count Bova will reward Baron Ecgetheow, strengthening his hand as a peacemaker.
    When the Marchioness' forces arrive, Count Bova will pursue the Remnants of the Red Hand through the Witchwood and across Skull Gorge and will devastate their lands and free their slaves in the remote mountain valley to the north before retreating back to the valley where he will build fortresses along the pass to guard his border against futher intrusions. Drellin's ferry will be rebuilt and the dwarves of the Silvermount and Coalhewer clanholds will resume trade with Sterich along the dwarf road. The dwarves of the Hammerfist holds will mount an expedition to recover the Redsteel clanhold and re-open their mines.
    Bova county will control more territory than it did before the invasion, and Drellin's Ferry will rebuild quickly as the crushing defeat of the Red Hand forces makes the Witchwood a much safer place to harvest timber and dwarven trade from the Crystalmist clanholds passes through it.

What do you think? Is this too generous to the players and Sterich? Are there any other potential consequences? One likely result of the war is that Baron Hargil Trask of Elsircross (mentioned in the original adventure and, of the original adventure NPCs, second only to Lord Jaarmath as a warrior though equaled by Lars Ulverth) is likely to win a lot of fame and influence in the battles. (I plan to make convincing Baron Trask and his family of arrogant evil bastards and their armsmen to respond to the muster for the Battle of Bova one of the side-tasks if the PCs need something to do between chapter 3 and the battle of Bova. The up-side of success: he's very handy with a sword and will help in the battle. The downside--emphasizing the reason that Count Bova had to put up with him in the first place: his skill at arms. Especially since his barony is not in serious danger unless Bova falls, he will come out of the adventure better off than before).
    Last edited by Elder_Basilisk; 2015-02-28 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Formatting

30. - Top - End - #930

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elder_Basilisk View Post
    So the maps. First, an adaptation of Anna Meyer's excellent map of Sterich with some of the Red Hand of Doom locations added in. Unfortunately, the Witchwood is just a label since my image manipulation skills are not good enough to add a forest that would match up with the visual quality of the rest of the map.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...h-campaign.jpg

Second, a hand-drawn player map with a few more locations including the Witchwood.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...%20labeled.jpg

A handout version of the map in Koth's quarters--untranslated

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...translated.jpg

Finally, a handout version of the map in Koth's quarters for once the players translate it

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...0processed.jpg
    I love Anna Meyer's maps.

I've spent a long time thinking about the problem of how to shoehorn Red Hand of Doom into Sterich. I agree 100% that it is a good fit, the only question is exactly how.

In the past, I've been considering using Istivin (Capital of Sterich) as Brindol. I don't know much about the other towns of Sterich, Bova, etc. The Oestral Abyss is not too far from Mittelberg.