New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Ducking under the attack of the creature even as she feels it's motions approaching her, Daiya slides back two steps as she straightens, then draws another arrow to the bow and releases at its face.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[29]
    (1d8+3)[4]
    (2d4)[5]

EDIT: Not that it matters since I got a one, but that should be a d6, not a d8.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2012-01-25 at 10:45 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the construct attack Daiya, Trunk let out a challenging roar and with a mighty leap went past the spinning blades, tearing away at the thing with wooden limbs. Grimmgang and Drasil attacked it from the other side with axe and teeth, mindful to leave room for their slower crystal companion.

Spoiler
    Show
    south of Daiyas old positon. Tumble - (1d20+14)[33] DC 25
    Wolf Fang Strike
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+6)[9]
    Slashing damage - (1d10+4)[13] + Skirmish damage - (2d6)[8]
    Armor spikes - (1d20+6)[25]
    Piercing damage - (1d6+1)[5] + Skirmish damage - (2d6)[6]

Trunk pounces, accepting an attack by the vertical blade south of him
    (1d20+12)[16] (1d8+4)[7]
    (1d20+10)[28] (1d3+2)[5]
    (1d20+10)[21] (1d3+2)[4]
    (1d20+10)[16] (2d4+2)[5]
    Drasil south of Grimmgang
    (1d20+11)[26] (1d6+3)[8]
    []
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-01-25 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya's arrow manages to bury itself in the twisted metal of the construct's beak, and Grimmgang, Drasil, and Trunk strike at it in turn, knocking it to each side as it jumps to avoid the blows. Shard's blade taps against the spinning trap as he brings it around, throwing off its arc. The metal avian's erratic movements are not enough to save it, however, and it is looking much the worse for wear by the time it stabs a pair of spines at Grimmgang and attempts to retreat once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blade attacks Trunk: (1d20+7)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

Construct attacks Grimmgang: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

And a bunch of Tumble checks to avoid AoOs.
    Drasil's passes automatically.
    From Grimmgang, DC17: (1d20+14)[27]
    From Shard, DC19: (1d20+14)[23]
    From Trunk, DC21: (1d20+14)[29]

Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang, Trunk and Drasil took defensive positions around Daiya. "Go ahead girl, this one's all yours." No sooner had he finished those words, Trunk opened his jaws and shot out twisting vines at the thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    both Grimmgang and Drasil flank Daiya, readying actions to attack

I don't quite remember what you agreed upon regarding the rules of the vines... I'll just roll a d20 and a d6 since I don't know which modifiers would apply
    (1d20)[14] (1d6)[1]
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya nocks an arrow and releases yet again, hoping to strike the creature despite the blades.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[27]
    (1d6+3)[5]
    (2d4)[5]
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya's arrow shears through metal and machinery, and the construct collapses in a twitching heap, quickly sliced into further pieces by the spinning blades it can no longer avoid.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

"Guess it's time again for me to get cut up, hm?" Grimmgang said, quickly taking the joy out of their victory.

Sizing up the next blade, he decided on a different approach this time, carefully measuring the distance and then bringing the full force of his axe down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mountain Hammer the one where I got interrupted. Let's see which approach gives me more damage.
    I suppose I need an attack roll
    (1d20+8)[15] (1d10+4)[12] (2d6)[11] ignored hardness
    (1d20+8)[10] (1d10+4)[5] (2d6)[5] ignored hardness
    (1d20+8)[17] (1d10+4)[10] (2d6)[9] ignored hardness
    (1d20+8)[16] (1d10+4)[6] (2d6)[7] ignored hardness
    AC is 23 since next to a wall

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Either he spinning blades are remarkably resistant to Grimmgang's attempts to shatter them, or he simply can't get the angle of his strikes right, but the cuts and impacts of the rebounds take their toll before it is finally torn to harmless pieces.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+3)[10]
    (1d8+3)[8]
    Third attempt gets it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I put that one down to bad luck, so try again on the next one

re-Vigor
    (1d20+8)[11] (1d10+4)[8] (2d6)[6]
    (1d20+8)[15] (1d10+4)[12] (2d6)[7]
    (1d20+8)[9] (1d10+4)[12] (2d6)[5]
    (1d20+8)[26] (1d10+4)[8] (2d6)[2]
    does it get an autohit on me when I miss?

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

The vertical blades fall more easily, taking only two swings to destroy, and leaving one final mechanism between the dwarf and the door. Of course, the last one could simply be crawled under, were one so inclined.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aye, they do. For (1d8+3)[5], this time.

As far as you can see from here, there are three separate locks on the door out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang swiped away sweat and blood from his forehead with the back of his hand. "Just one more, then onto the door." Again he hacked at the blade, and when he finally reached the door he carefully checked it for traps before working on the lock.

Spoiler
    Show
    well yeah, but something bad might be triggered again when I reach the door, so I prefer a cleared path
    (1d20+8)[16] (1d10+4)[9] (2d6)[6]
    (1d20+8)[19] (1d10+4)[10] (2d6)[9]
    (1d20+8)[9] (1d10+4)[7] (2d6)[11]
    (1d20+8)[27] (1d10+4)[7] (2d6)[3]

Search 23 on door, Open Lock 25 with take 20 each
    are those internal or external locks? If internal and I notice they can reset somehow I just say 'the hell with it' and bruteforce the door
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-01-30 at 12:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

The blades get a final cut in before Grimmgang disables them, and after several minutes of work, the door is opened. It seems the locks were meant to keep things in rather than out; as far as you can tell, there is no automatic reset attached to them. You do uncover a mechanism inside the door that appears to link to the blades; it is rather unnecessary now, and you suspect that a failure to manipulate it correctly would be painful, but the option is there if desired.

The other side of the door features another dark staircase curving away to the right; you estimate that its descent will place you relatively close to the magma vein.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage: (1d8+3)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

"We must be getting close...all the more reason to expect greater danger," Shard warned.

Inwardly the Shard was reminded of it's home, down here beneath the earth, though this was a far darker and more hostile place.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    during/after all this I had to take 4 more Vigors, leaving me 3 HP short of full

"As I suspected, this is more of a prison than a vault... Keep your guard up, whatever warrants that kind of measures must be nasty." He hefted his axe, further descending into the dark below. "Oh, you got any fancy magic that can go through stone?" He eyed Trunk, then knocked two times on the wall. "Don't use it down there. Magma bath."

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

The hallway widens as you descend the stairs, slowly giving way to a large natural cavern, sixty feet across and nearly twice that in length. The air is stifling, smelling strongly of brimstone, and the nearly visible waves of heat rising from the deep chasm crossing the middle of the room make the cause clear. An arching bridge, worn and clearly close to collapse in a few places near the edges, crosses the chasm, and there seems little doubt that the other side holds what you came here for. Twisting patterns reminiscent of dragonmarks seem burned or dyed into the walls, and a massive basalt altar stands near the far wall. A smaller sarcophagus sits near the edge of the chasm, covered in draconic imagery, and even through the distorted air, you can see the glimmer of gold and gems from two of three niches carved into the rock behind the altar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

"Grimmgang, can you tell if the bridge has been boobytrapped?" Shard asked.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm more concerned about whether this thing can hold your weight. Really, first thing in dangerous disrepair has to be a bridge while the traps work just fine..."
    He carefully examined the weak points of the bridge, then checked for hidden triggers with a long pole.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Architecture and Engineering - (1d20+2)[9] be worth that crossclass skillpoint
    search take 20. How wide is the chasm?

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

As far as you can tell, the bridge will hold up as long as you stick to the centre; it does not appear to be trapped, merely wearing away due to the constant sulphurous airflow. The chasm is no more than twenty feet wide, and roughly sixty feet deep.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

"I shall follow in your footsteps friend." Shard said to Grimmgang.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    on the assumption Take 10 works

Drasil took a measure of the distance, then lept across the chasm. Trunk followed suit, his strong dinosaur legs letting him soar an impressive distance through the air. Grimmgang chuckled at this, stashing his tools and climbing the wall to reach the wooden duo on the other side.

Unpacking the rope attached to his grappling hook, he looked for a nook in the ground to secure the latter, then threw the other end of the rope to his companions. "You first Daiya. Bind this around your waist just in case. Stick to the middle of the bridge."

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya nods, grabbing the rope and binding it to herself. Approaching the bridge, she settles her weight squarely beneath her and begins crossing the bridge staying to the center.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Shard waited until Daiya was safely across, then tied the rope that was thrown back around it's waist. Carefully, it made it's way across the treacherous expanse.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Now that you are across, you can more easily make out the details of the artifacts. The altar is roughly twenty-five feet across and ten in width, and it holds a small circular depression on top, which is currently empty. Otherwise bare of ornament, it nonetheless radiates noticeable magic to Daiya's senses. The sarcophagus lies to your right, nearer the edge of the chasm. Behind the altar, three niches are cut into the wall; one holds a golden scepter, with a claw at the top cradling a large dragonshard bearing a pattern reminiscent of the Mark of Storm. The second holds a crown, and the shard set into the front holds an image similar to the Mark of Warding. The third niche is empty.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

"These must be the relics Circle is looking for. Perhaps we should tell him we have found them and are about to commence extraction. Final traps perhaps?'

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

"Must be. Am I the only one alarmed by the third spot being empty?" Grimmgang went to the empty niche and looked for dust prints, uneven coloring of the stone or other indications that something was here before. After that, he examined the sarcophagus for opening mechanisms. Search everywhere, we came too far to simply overlook any hidden treasures at the end.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search 23
    Architecture - (1d20+2)[19] would +2 racial for stone apply here?

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

"But be careful. Altar is magic. I'll go with Grimmgang." she turns her blindfold to face Grimmgang. "You check for traps, I'll check for magic. When we're sure it's relatively clear, we search for loot. Then we contact our employer and find out about this third niche."

Daiya does as she suggested, using her senses to find all things of magic in the room, first on the trap hunt and then on the item hunt.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The empty niche has clearly lain undisturbed for quite some time, but you do find two faint marks in the stone nearby, likely from blade or claw, that are definitely more recent than the chamber's construction. The sarcophagus's lid looks to be simply set in place, albeit very heavy; you might be able to lift it if all of you worked together, but not alone. You also notice evidence that there was once a second stone bridge akin to the first, near the sarcophagus, but it has long since collapsed into the chasm.

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A very faint sense of magic seems to pervade the entire cavern, but the only object radiating noticeable energy is the altar, and even that feels muted, more akin to an inert item than an active spell. The scepter and amulet are not magical.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang ran his fingers over the smooth stone, feeling the small depressions. "Claws marks. Or maybe a blade. Can't say how old it is though."
    The sarcophagus revealed a faint line where the lid was set on top of the base. "We could simply lift it if we want. Takes some work, but might be something valuable inside."

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

"No magic on it, either. Probably fairly safe if you don't sense any traps. For that matter, nothing in here seems to be magical in itself, except that altar. Just...like something should be."

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's strip this place clean, then we can contact Surkil with a sending stone and make sure we got the stuff he wants. Help me with the lid on this thing, looks damn heavy."

Spoiler
    Show
    lift it a little, then place iron spikes in the gaps before completely taking it off. Avoids fingercrushing mishaps