New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

The dwarf cursed as he once again failed to have an effect on the intangible black shadow. Putting his back against the wall, he tried again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    step to B1, flanking with Xaxhan
    regain maneuvers
    (1d20+8)[26] (1d10+2)[7] (1d100)[11]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan swung again, embarrassed at how ineffectual he'd been in this battle. His new comrades had yet to see him at his best. Seeing the dwarf step in to flank, the Seren took advantage of the positioning and thrust his blade into the shadow.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[25] for (1d8+1)[5] damage vs. (1d100)[21] concealment.
    Last edited by Postmodernist; 2012-05-05 at 01:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Three blades separate the shadow's exposed head from its body - and three blades pass harmlessly through the intangible creature's neck. Shard's spell has slightly more effect, but fails to banish the creature even momentarily. Reaching out in retaliation, it seeks its opposite's strength.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard, if you don't roll your defensive casting checks, I'm going to assume you're not making them.

Will: (1d20+4)[19]

Touch attack on Shard: (1d20+3)[13]
    Strength damage: (1d6)[2]

Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #934
    Troll in the Playground

Shard redoubles it's efforts, seeking to do as much damage as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Noted.

Concentration check: (1d20+14)[30]

Touch Attack: (1d20+4)[21]

Cure Moderate Wounds: (2d8+3)[13]

Will 15 for half.

Last edited by TekHed; 2012-05-08 at 03:08 AM.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

"Blasted things! Please tell me it's a major pain in the ass to create those." Grimmgang was getting exceedingly frustrated when his axe simply passed through the shadow again and again without effect. His back against the wall, he became acutely aware of the stone touching him, filling him with resolve. It may only be a few feet, but we are underground, in a hall of stone. This is MY domain. Now BEGONE! On the last words, thought transitioned to speech, and he brought his axe down in a crushing blow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mountain Hammer, flanking
    (1d20+8)[14] (1d10+1)[5] (2d6)[7]
    (1d100)[90]
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-05-08 at 01:56 PM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

"I couldn't even if I wanted too. However, if they kill someone, a new one rises from that person's corpse. So it depends on perspective."

Daiya steps in to deliver a hopefully final strike on the creature as she answers.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[18](1d10+5)[15](1d2)[1]
    (3d8+6)[22](1d2)[1]
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan's blade flashes out toward the flickering shadow once again, seeking to banish it to whatever netherworld birthed it. "So do you think we've alerted the entirety of the Emerald Claw to our presence, or just the portion stationed here in Q'barra?" he asked, frustration evident in his voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flanking (1d20+7)[20] for (1d8+1)[8] damage against (1d100)[73] concealment.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Banished at last, the final shadow fades away into nothingness, leaving the basement free of perils, at least for the moment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

"Dol Arra's muttonchops, I do hope we never have to do that again." Grimmgang swept the sweat from his brow, gathering his things again. "Let's see if we can find a hidden exit from this storeroom. Call me crazy for it, but I'm pretty sure I noticed the first shadow was quite surprised at my assault, so this whole thing doesn't seem to have been a setup."

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, searching the whole room with Take 20 would take a while let's see if I can speed things up with Track.

Starting at the ladder, look for any trails made by someone except us
    Survival - (1d20+9)[19] base DC 20
    *twitch* +2 Dungeoneering synergy for being underground?

on failure start looking for trapdoors under the grates
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-05-10 at 02:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

"First, let us regain our strength." Shard replied setting the wand first to Grimmgang, then itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and use the restorations you didn't get before Fallen, and let me know if Grimmy needs more.

(1d4)[2] and another in case that comes up a 1. (1d4)[2]

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Either the way is not used very often, or your brief battle damaged the evidence, for a search for tracks turns up nothing but muddied signs leading every which way. In the process of moving the crates to check for hidden doors, however, you come across a small black lacquered box tucked away behind one of the stacks, appearing quite out of place in the dusty storeroom. It is but two handspans across, and a bit heavy, but the shaped wooden lid appears to be unsealed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf furrowed his brow in confusion. "This gets stranger and stranger. Check the other grates while I look at this thing." He carefully searched for hidden traps and mechanisms before opening the lid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search Take 20 for 25
    if nothing, open

if something
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[25]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[7]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[8]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[10]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[11]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[17]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[24]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[9]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[11]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[12]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[19]

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

The box is untrapped, and the lid slides off smoothly to reveal a felt-lined interior containing a single rolled parchment, sealed with an unmarked drop of green wax.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

Shard moved closer to Grimmgang the better to light his work.

"A scroll?"

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

"Daiya, check this for magic", Grimmgang said, deep in thought. "No mark in the wax... Think we could repair the seal after breaking it? Whatever's written in there, it must be something significant."

Spoiler
    Show
    keep checking the rest of the floor and walls

I didn't keep watch on the building for long, did I? Could it be the guys I followed went in there, just checked everything is still where it belonged and then left again? This looks more and more like a secret storage room than a base.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-05-11 at 11:45 AM.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scroll has a faint aura to it, although you can't determine the school of magic involved.

A thorough search finally reveals a cleverly hidden door in the floor near the ladder; invisible to casual inspection, depressing the corner of a certain floorboard reveals a tiny lock and handle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

"There you are." After closing the box again and placing the whole thing in the bag of holding, Grimmgang spent some moments with a listening cone to check the other side of the hidden trapdoor for noise, then went about looking for a way to open it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen - (1d20+8)[17]
    Listen - (1d20+8)[24]
    Listen - (1d20+8)[14]
    Listen - (1d20+8)[17]
    Listen - (1d20+8)[19]
    Listen - (1d20+8)[27]

listening cone reduces penalty for listening through door to a third

Search, Open Lock 25, Disable Device if needed
    (1d20+5)[23]
    (1d20+5)[18]
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[15]
    (1d20+5)[15]
    (1d20+5)[14]
    (1d20+5)[9]
    (1d20+5)[15]
    (1d20+5)[10]

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You catch a murmur or two, and a few footsteps. The sub-basement definitely has inhabitants, although you couldn't say how many.

Despite extended effort, Grimmgang is unable to tease the lock open.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

When the lock refused to give way, Grimmgang grit his teeth in frustration. "We got to bruteforce that one, and I definitely heard people below. Best we swarm them before they can react. I bust the lock while one of you stands ready to open the door, Daiya casts that slowfalling charm and we just jump down and overwhelm them."

In preparation for the assault, the dwarf brought Drasil down with him and used the ability of his newly gained Dragonmark on the house's entrance, allowing him to notice if they got unexpected company.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alarm on inside of door. If the others agree to the plan, Mountain Hammer the lock
    (1d10+4)[13] (2d6)[9] ignores hardness

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

"The scroll has some sort of magic to it. Also, if we're falling, you should know that that will be one of the last spells I cast without resting." Daiya nods, setting her blindfold in place once again.

"Warn me if there are any shadows or ghosts so I can get this blindfold off. Ready."
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground

"I too exhausted most of my divine power in that battle." Shard added. "Though the Cruciform grants power of the mind as well. Please give me a moment."

It drew it's sword and closed its eyes, power pulsing into the blade until it began to glow and the edges gave off streams of blue vapor.
    Opening it's eyes, the glowing red and blue shield manifested in the air in front of Shard, and the fearsome face upon it now reflected the aberrant mark on Shard's own.

Having finished it's preparations Shard turned to the others. "I am ready."

Spoiler
    Show

Buffing up:

Cast Augury (need to use it sometime right? Weal or woe for busting in below?)

Cast True Strike
    Manifest Dissolving Weapon
    Manifest Force Screen

Whee!

And to save time:

Maneuvers Granted in first round:

(1d5)[1] Vanguard Strike
    (1d5)[5] Crusader's Strike

Two of my favorites!

Last edited by TekHed; 2012-05-12 at 05:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Nodding, Grimmgang busted the lock with a powerful strike and when the others quickly opened the trapdoor he lept down, Drasil following on his heels. They quickly sidestepped to give the others room to land and got ready to attack whoever was down there.

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative - (1d20+8)[9]

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan muttered a few arcane phrases, his body distorting hideously as the spell came to an end. His hair vanishes, and oily-looking scales form across his body. His mouth distends into a toothy rictus, and his fingers elongate into cruel claws. After a shudder, his voice emerges from the alien body, "I'm ready." His mandolin in his newly-taloned hand and sword oddly sheathed, the transformed bard makes ready to leap down the trapdoor after Grimmgang.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Alter Self, turning into a Troglodyte. Bumps AC to 23, grants claw attacks, minor skill bonuses (notably +4 to Hide, +8 in underground settings).

I'll go ahead and roll initiative to speed things up. (1d20+2)[9] Xaxhan will also jump down, activating his racial Feather Fall ability to mitigate any falling damage if necessary.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

As you float down into the sub-basement, cramped quarters vaguely reminiscent of a ship's hold come into view; the room directly below you contains a few more crates and a writing desk, and a second small room to the right holds four hammocks. The inhabitants were clearly expecting your arrival, although after the rather loud exchange with the shadows, this is likely no surprise. Three men in unmarked chainmail and half-helms await your arrival at the bottom of the ladder, brandishing flails, although one is forced to duck backward to avoid being crushed under Shard's stone form. A short, brown-haired woman in a long dress of emerald silk and black velvet stands well behind them, holding a dagger and a vial of something akin to ink.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard: Weal and woe.

Initiative:
    Shard
    Enemies
    Daiya
    Grimmgang
    Xaxhan

No surprise round, as both parties were aware of the other; Shard's turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

Shard's eyes doubled in brightness, turning from blue to brilliant white. Then the crystal being seemed to transform wholly into a beam of white light that shot past the soldiers reforming directly in front of the caster, sword raised high. With a harmonic shout Shard brought the steaming glowing greatblade down in a vicious vertical arc, cleaving directly down the middle.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift action manifest dimension hop from H1 to F3, augmenting with 1 PP to hop 15 feet.

Standard action attack E: (1d20+29)[30]
    Free action spend 4 PP to charge blade for +4d6 damage

Damage: (6d6+4)[28] slashing + (4d6)[14] acid

As always in Iron Guard's Glare.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-05-13 at 03:47 AM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Shard's devastating attack leaves a deep gouge in the floor, but the woman just barely manages to sidestep, and a moment later she raises a hand and flickers out of existence, rematerializing on the other side of the room. Uncorking the vial with a flick of her finger, she pours out its contents on the floor, and the room is enveloped by a sphere of absolute darkness, rendering the rest of the enemy movements invisible to all but Daiya, although the whistle of flails whirling out of the darkness makes their intentions quite clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Emerald magus teleports to F1, after which you don't see much of anything.

Please keep all communication about locations in character.

Shard, you can only charge your blade with 2pp at a time.

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The magus moved to D1 after using the vial. The three soldiers are in H1, G2, and E4.

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are attacked from H1.
    Attack: (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[5]

Shard:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are attacked from G2 and E4. Keep in mind blindness penalties to AC.
    Attack: (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[4] + (2d6)[3]
    Attack: (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[10] + (2d6)[12]

Xaxhan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear footsteps to the southwest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

"Drasil, guard the ladder!" Grimmgang's first instinct was to use his mobility and keen senses to misdirect their enemies in the darkness, but it wouldn't do to leave the exit unguarded if they tried to use the lack of light to make a break for it. Following his nose, he found two of the soldiers, and dancing past them he swung his axe in a broad arc at their backs.

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    move to G1
    Steel Wind
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+8)[21] H1
    Slashing damage - (1d10+4)[13] + Skirmish damage - (2d6)[4] Miss Chance - (1d100)[97]
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+8)[13] G2
    Slashing damage - (1d10+4)[6] + Skirmish damage - (2d6)[7] Miss Chance - (1d100)[37]

Drasil stands in the square with the ladder, readying an action to attack anyone trying to climb up

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

A sonorous chant begins, accompanied by the tinny strumming of a mandolin, and Xaxhan seems to weave spell and song into one another. The temperature seems to drop a few degrees in the room, and the adventurers find their weapons sheathed in ice. The song has a strange echo, emanating from the blade sheathed in Xaxhan's scabbard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: Cast inspirational boost, burning two 0 level slots via Lyric Spell. Standard action: Bardic music. Move action: activate badge of valor.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Troll in the Playground

Shard swung through the impenetrable darkness, but was unaccustomed to seeing nothing at all, and so it's blade went wide catching only air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack G2 (1d20+11)[13]
    Miss chance: (1d100)[18]
    If it hits: (4d6+4)[15] + (4d6)[11] acid. Extra damage and acid damage will last until I hit, or for another 9 and indefinite rounds respectively, whichever comes sooner.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-05-14 at 08:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Gathering her concentration, Daiya vanishes, leaving only a whoosh of air near her companions. A moment later, they hear her voice call out.

"The mage or leader is here. Follow my voice!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Dimension leap from my dragonmark as standard action to C1. Threatening Magus. EDIT: Already had sword drawn. No move action.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2012-05-15 at 01:35 AM.

Spoiler
    Show