New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

"I am quite shiny enough thank you, and those barbers can keep their hands off of me. Neither of those things sound pleasant, and I do nott know what you see in them Grimmgang." Shard would have seemed indignant were it not so sincere.

"What are we to do with the spoils of our victory?"

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Titan in the Playground

After a reasonably comfortable night in the Swiftwind's guest quarters, morning finds you docked once more in Regalport. Anyone venturing on deck at this early hour will see a marked decrease in the port's activity, but fishers and traders alike are making ready to head out, if not already underway, and there is still a healthy buzz of commerce from the Pirate Exchange.

For those less inclined to shopping, the Rusty Anchor may be open even at this time of day, although the Prince is unlikely to be found there in the morning, and two corpses lie below, awaiting questioning with the eternal patience of those long past caring.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground

As the captain brings the ship in to port, Daiya wakes up and gathers her companions to interrogate their deceased foes.

"You know, this spell would be a lot more pleasant if you didn't actually have to have the corpse to use it on. So what information do we need to get from them?"
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan eyed the corpses with disgust until his mood took a droll turn. "We should ask Ethras who does her hair. They'd be the ideal candidates to complete the mutilation of poor Grimmgang's appearance." He flashed a wink to Shard, clearly amused with himself. "Aside from that, we should see if we can unearth Dura's superior, if only so we know who we might be up against. I'd also recommend determining who their contact in Regalport is; I'd rather not have them get the jump on us another time. It wouldn't hurt to ascertain what they knew of this Jhemast fellow, or Trebez Sinara. Lastly, we should try and determine why they want the Dragon's Eye. Sur'kil seems uncertain, and he's been rather cagey. The Emerald Claw has clearly been willing to dedicate significant resources in its pursuit. I'd like to know why." With that, the Seren looks about the cabin, searching the faces of his companions for their contributions.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

The Seren astonishingly managed to get a chuckle out of Grimmgang. "I once met a Dwarven berserker with an orange mohawk, it actually looked decently well on him. But that thing Ethras has on her head..." He shudders. "I'd rather have burn scars all over my scalp."

He listens to the suggestions ans nods. "Dura was in charge, so she ought to know more. Immediate superior is a good call. I'd rather know what the Eye can actually do, not why they want it; it's all about power for them anyway.
    And I'd really like to know how many more groups and soldiers they have within a couple days travel. Remember the ogre mages said they're mercenaries?"
    He paused, looking at each in turn. "They might be getting low on manpower, we're far off from their main base of power.

We did this a couple times already, answers are short and often cryptic. Just asking in general about Jheamast or Thraxis is unlikely to give us something new, unless we ask directly where the latter is, and I see no reason why she should know. For Ethras I'd ask for their contact in Regalport as we're already headed there, and where they were supposed to bring the journal if we didn't stop them."

He tapped the wooden floor a couple times, thinking about their last question. "The relationship between Ryger and the Emerald Claw. If they're enemies we can play our hand well. If they should secretly work together we better know and tread carefully."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

"Three questions, per dead person. That's the best I can manage. If we want better, we could try finding a temple, they might know more. For my part, I think we need to know their source of information and what the eye does. Immediate superior is a nice extra bit of information, as is troop availability. We can ask Dura about the troop information, and ask Ethras who Dura's immediate superior is."
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Troll in the Playground

"Personally I find hair a bit distasteful. Prone to entropy, a collector of dirt and grime, and a potential liability in the heat of battle." Shard remarked. "I am grateful my kind are bereft of such crude and chaotic adornment."

Realizing it may have just offended Grimmgang, Shard quickly backpedaled, "Though it is rather fetching on you Grimm, even if your style is less cosmopolitan than the fancy dwarf we met in Regalport."

Shard coughed awkwardly...an expression no doubt derived from some observed humanoid, for it bore no breath to begin with.

"Yes, all of those suggestions do indeed sound worthy. However I ought point out, that if Dura could teleport, it stands within reason her superiors would have an equal or greater capability...therefore the question of available manpower may be an academic one, and the answer effectively unlimited."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-09-22 at 03:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

"Even teleportation is limited based on the power of the spellcaster. If we phrase the question to be how many forces they could bring to bear within a week, she would be obligated to include those that could be teleported in. Provided she knew about them, of course."

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well then. It is settled?" it asked. "Then I believe we are ready for you to pose our questions."

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

The dragonsinger nodded. "The questions sound settled, then," he avers with certainty. "What about our spoils? Anyone know how to wield one of these?" He picks up the Sarlonan spinning sword and playfully flicks it toward Shard, making a noise like a whip crack. "Maybe you'll find some use for this, Grimmy, if you run into that cosmopolitan dwarf again."

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang scowled at the bard. "Best use I'm likely to get out of this thing is selling it for hopefully decent money and get some useful tool or the other for it. I'm well served with the weapons I have for now, thank you very much mister fancypants."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

While her companions divvy out the spoils of combat, Daiya prepares her spell, pulling aside first the corpse of Ethras.

Chanting her spell and weaving magic over the corpse, Daiya calls its memories to bear to ask questions of them.

"'Where were you planning to sail after acquiring the journal?

Who is your contact in Regalport?

What is the relationship between the Emerald Claw and Prince Ryger?'

Spoiler
    Show
    I started out with Ethras, so that we can adjust our questions for the theoretically higher-up and better informed Dura based on the information we get here.

EDIT: Questions removed from post, until we can resolve what specifically we agreed upon to ask Ethras.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2012-09-25 at 10:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Ethras's corpse replies a wispy, faded voice, a grey calling far removed from what it was in life.

"We would have returned to Port Verge."

"Dura called him Matthias."

"Cold."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya sighs.
    "Returned implies they came from there, so I suspect they've got an operation running out of there. And Matthias was the man I shared a conversation with the other day, the one who I suspected was reporting to the claw. Looks like I was right. Shame, he had a remarkable ability to blend in. We could use a contact like him."

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan nods as Daiya recounts what they have learned. While it continued to prove incredibly valuable, he still found interrogating these corpses incredibly distasteful. Still, given how freely the Emerald Claw used the undead, it's not as though either Dura or Ethras would likely have been upset by such activity.

"Port Verge? That's on the southern tip of Questor Island, under the rule of Prince Kolberkon. If he's in league with the Claw, I suspect Ryger would want to know. Perhaps his majesty will be willing to speak with us after all." The Seren mused further, stroking the bit of stubble that had sprung up on his chin over the course of the last day. "This Matthias seemed like a mercenary from your description, Daiya. Perhaps he'd be willing to aid us now that his contacts have been slain. If not, I'm sure he could be convinced, either with gold or by steel. It might be a pleasant change of pace to be a step ahead of the Emerald Claw for once, instead of the other way 'round."

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Troll in the Playground

Pleased they were making progress, Shard chimed in.

"A useful ability you have indeed, Daiya, and a fitting form of interrogation for these ones. let us see what the dark-hearted-one has to tell us..."

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang watched Xaxhan toy with what to a dwarf is a sorry excuse for a beard. "So it still grows while you go scaly, hah? Interesting.

But is it good to accuse someone of working with the Emerald Claw just because they operate in his territory? Remember, the ogres were mercenaries and the ship was custom built for them. Port Verge might just be where they picked their mercenaries up. Returning there after the deed does make it look like their base is there, but it's not certain."

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan rolled his eyes at Grimmgang's comments. "I daresay it matters little whether it's good or not, only that informing Ryger will be of no harm to us and may interest him in our cause. Knowing that one of his rivals is allowing a group of potentially dangerous fanatics to operate out of his territory serves our cause. Whether Kolberkon lends the Claw support directly or not is of no concern to us. We oppose the Claw, and thereby those who might aid them. Ryger has a vested interest in keeping his subjects and rivals in check, and thereby will want to know who is working with who. If this prompts action against the Claw, so much the better. Either way, it gives us a strong rationale to speak with Ryger. He may see through it as self-interested on our part, but he'll know we intend to benefit his rulership as well."

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

"Whether the Claw is in league with Kolberkon or not, Ethras admitted that the Claw is on poor terms with Rygar. So any information we have about them at all could be useful in negotiating with him to get the maps we need. Now then, shall we get the rest of our questions answered?"

Daiya moves over to Dura's corpse.

"This one I could have done without talking to again. Here goes...

What is the rank and name of your immediate superior?

What is the function of the artifact known as the Dragon's Eye?

How many troops could the Emerald Claw bring to bear on Regalport within four days time?"
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2012-09-28 at 05:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

In sharp contrast to Ethras, Dura's corpse replies in a wet, gurgling voice that would render her words difficult to understand without the magic of the spell giving them proper form.

"Captain Soren Maven."

"I do not know."

"Twenty-two."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan quirked an eyebrow as the body sputtered its responses. "This does not augur well. If even Dura doesn't know what the thing does, then it's rather powerful indeed. Either that, or we're being sent on a wild goose chase. When we get to port, I'll ask about Soren Maven and see what comes up. With only twenty-two members remaining, I think we can all agree we've struck a significant blow to the Claw's local resources in the last few days. No wonder they're hiring mercenaries to replenish their ranks. Does this change our plans at all?"

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

"Damn, I had hoped she was far enough the chain of command to at least know something... But yes, the numbers are pomising, and surprisingly accurate, I would have expected a rough guess. So she in fact knew the exact numbers and likely whereabouts of the other groups active here... Bah, wish we saw that coming before the spell.

No change I think, but if we can deliver Ryger proof about this Maven's loyalties..."
    He lets the implication dangle. "Or take a more direct approach if feasable. Let's see how it turns out."

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

"Perhaps Daiya can seek out this Matthias as well..."

Shard thought a moment longer.

"Certainly the Claw will know all too soon that their task force has failed, and move to call in reinforcements. The number twenty-two may grow faster than we would like if we delay. We ought take advantage of our lead with all due speed."

"Should we apprise Circle at this juncture?"
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-09-30 at 04:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can certainly try, but he was most difficult just to detect. I'm sure most mundane means of tracking him are useless, as are scrying spells or tracking spells."

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, it's worth a try, you caught him once before. Best take Shard for protection while Xaxhan does his thing and I visit a barber.

And yes, contacting Sur'kil sounds good, he may know things about that island. We're out of Sending Stones though."

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

"That does not seem wise" countered Shard "For Daiya's quarry is both stealthy and observant, indeed the opposite of this body. I fear if I were to accompany her, she would never get close enough to detect him."

Shard looked sympathetically at the dwarf. "Besides my friend, you will need my help in facing down your barbarian."

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

"As I said earlier, this Matthias seemed to be a contract informant, albeit a skilled one. He might be willing to meet with us if he's persuaded. We have no quarrel with him, only his former employer. Since, as Shard points out, we're so conspicuous, it might not be hard to turn that to our advantage. He might seek us out. As for Sur'kil, I can speeak with Irelia for more sending stones."

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, it's best I visit the barber alone. It's, ah..." His eyes dart left and right in embarassment. "It's a private matter. Right. Shortening one's beard is a matter of great shame to my people. Right. Very personal affair. Can't have anyone accompany me, sorry." He tensed, hoping to get away with the bold faced lie.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course, Grimmgang, we understand. Go about your business. Xaxhan will touch with all of his contacts in town, while I try to track down Matthias and hope we can buy him off. Shard, why not follow Xaxhan meanwhile, and when that is done, you can both go about selling off our collected loot. Does that sound agreeable? We can meet at the same room as before at sunset."

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Troll in the Playground

Shard nodded. "It is agreeable."