Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

"What assurances are you after?"

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

"One at a time?" the priest snaps, eyes narrowing. "Do I look like I'm made of miracles?"

The other figure, presumably Syn, waves a hand airily. "You will not be harmed or compelled. The Prince simply wishes to be certain that you will abide by the terms he has set, if you want your map."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Troll in the Playground

"We have heard no terms yet." Shard piped up.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

"And that's what we're getting to. Fret not, there's nothing onerous. He just doesn't want the chart going to any purpose other than what you've claimed."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps if you just tell us what spell exactly you want to use on us. We got three casters here, they'll notice if you play us false..." He let the implication linger for a moment. "If we consider the intended spell not harmful we will comply."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

Syn gives an exaggerated sigh, touching hand to forehead with a flourish. "Suspicion, suspicion, everywhere suspicion. Some people would think that Prince Rygar deserves more of your trust."

Hands nearly disappear inside long sleeves as Syn sweeps an arm out to the side, bending at the waist as if giving the stage to the priest. The Father sighs irritatedly, clearly eager to get the performance over with. "It is a Zone of Truth. You will not lie as you give your oaths, and that is all." He jabs a finger at the ground for emphasis. "Now get up here and receive your little blessing so I can get back to work."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Troll in the Playground

"To be fair, we have been under near-constant reminder that your Rygar is a pirate prince, with all that entails."

Shard stepped forward. "Be that as it may, I shall volunteer to go first. What oaths would you ask of me? Be they honorable I shall agree."

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground

"That spell will do us no harm. I agree to this test. I will go second."
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh come now, Shard, surely you've been treated well here in the Principalities. It can't be any worse than whatever sunless hole Grimmgang dragged you out of." Xaxhan smiles, and acquiesces to the interrogation.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

Usually Grimmgang would have said something about selling Shard for a handsome sum if it was his kind that unearthed the crystal being(and not in jest; 'I dug it up, it's mine' was more or less law and with the composition of Shard's body every dwarf would be tempted to 'mistake' it for a monster to be slain in self defense), but in his current mood he just hissed "Oh just shut up, will you.

And you."
    He pointed an accusatory finger at Syn and the priest. "What the hells were you thinking not saying that from the start? Good gods, OF COURSE people will be reluctant if you demand to perform mindaffecting magic on them! That's like a free ticket to do with us whatever you want if we accept without qualification."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-12-13 at 08:39 PM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Troll in the Playground

"I beg pardon bard, but Grimmgang did not find me, and I know nothing of his holes. It was I who stumbled upon Daiya after my arrival."

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan bursts into laughter at Shard's response, barely regaining his composure enough to sputter a response. "Let's all be polite and oblige our friends here. His majesty is very kind to lend us his time,, and we've a schedule to keep ourselves."

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

Syn waves a hand airily. "And if we tell you what we want to do, and you then work out some way to sneak around it? Better to hope that some honour still holds, but what to do when neither side can fully trust the other?"

The priest steps up beside him, frowning. "If you're quite done squabbling? Relax your minds. You already know what I'm doing, so just let it take hold." Intoning a short prayer, he touches a hand to heart and lips, and the unseen presence of enforced honesty pervades the area.

Syn takes a step forward, holding up a hand to one side. "You will swear: To take only a single copy of the chart of Trebez Sinara, to show it, willingly or by chance, to no one else, save the captain of the ship responsible for your journey, to hold him or her to these same terms, and to destroy it as soon as you are free of the island's waters. Do you so swear?"
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-12-14 at 10:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Troll in the Playground

Shard stepped forward. "Is that all? It is practically an affront to our knightly honor to assume we would do otherwise."

The crystal warrior raised one hand, and mimicking the solemn tone of the woman, said "I swear."

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya nods with Shard. "To the best of my ability, I will guard the secret of this chart and uphold the terms you have just described, save one addendum: should the captain have a navigator on hire, are we permitted to show the navigator this chart with the same terms as the captain?"
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2012-12-14 at 07:42 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

After a moment, Syn shrugs. "I would hope they'd know their own navigating if you're going that way, but that is an acceptable amendment."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds acceptable enough. I do so swear."

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan sighs with irritation, "Yes, I swear. Can we get on with it?"

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Titan in the Playground

"Indeed we may." The grumpy priest departs without a word as soon as Xaxhan is finished, leaving Syn to lead you aboard Dragoneye and into a richly appointed cabin where the promised chart occupies pride of place on the wall behind the polished oak desk and chair. A large sheet of blank parchment and a silver-tipped inkpen in a blue glass pot are the only things lying on the desk; Syn leans languidly against a side wall, the first mate's gaze alone remaining alert and active, passing over each of you and the door in sequence. "Copy away, then. I hope one of you has got a steady hand, because I wouldn't fancy sailing that way with a lazy chart."

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to narrate any other actions you have for the rest of the morning at this point, as well, or any scenes you'd like to start while we run the Matthias meeting.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-12-21 at 12:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang examined the parchment closely; he was no stranger to using maps during campaign, but they rarely had strategic maps with a detail level sufficient for his type of missions. Most he got out of it was notable landmarks to judge position by. And nautical maps, of course, were a different thing in many ways. "Well then, who to do it? Doubt Shard's bulky hands can handle it, and I doubt Daiya has drawn much before with the whole sight-thing. What 'bout you bard, just song or fancy visual art as well?"

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know how to draw, no. It will have to be one of you."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Titan in the Playground

The bard's calming song steadying his hand, Grimmgang finally finished retracing the lines. "Done", he said, withdrawing his hand so to not disturb the ink before it had a chance to dry. "Dismiss that spell and we'll see how good it is."

Spoiler
    Show
    13 with Take 10, plus a hopefully decent circumstance bonus

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

Xaxhan's spell fades away, the crude thought-lines giving way to the fine detail wrought by what is likely a very expensive pen. Comparing it to the chart on the wall, it certainly seems to be a passable imitation; nothing is misplaced or forgotten, at least. It is no work of art like the original, but ought to serve to navigate by.

"Well, that's that then, isn't it?" Syn says, waving you out after allotting a sufficient period for the ink to dry. "Favour fulfilled, if not forgotten. Don't go sinking halfway to the isle, now."

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Matthias is already seated when you arrive, and he waves you over with a smile. A plate of what appears to be small balls of dough coated in a dark green powder sits in the middle of the table, as-yet untouched, and a minor gesture from Matthias suffices to summon the proprietor with tea.

"Good afternoon, my dear. How have you been? Do feel free to try some of these, by the way; the master here assures me they are much tastier than they look."

Spoiler
    Show
    The rest of you can take care of anything else you'd like to play out or just head back to the ship to talk to Thaddeus; Daiya's scene shouldn't take too long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, we shall have to give him the benefit of the doubt then, won't we?"
    Daiya seats herself across from Mattias and shares in the tea and the strange dough dish. "So, friend, how was your evening? I hope only good things have happened since last we spoke."

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a 20 on my sense motive with the POWER OF HEARING!!! (POWER OF HEARING!!! is a trademark of Blinded Saint, and must always be properly spelled with three exclamation points, etc etc.) This gives me a 30.

If I suspect foul play with that check, I find a polite excuse using Diplomacy? (1d20+8)[28] not to eat the weird food.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2012-12-21 at 02:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Matthias joins you in sampling the curious foodstuffs. The only danger involved appears to be a non-negligible chance of one gluing your mouth shut; sweet and glutinous, they taste of rice and tea, and are quite palatable as long as one does not take too large a bite.

"Ah, very little has happened, good or bad. It has been an uneventful day, but I hope that will soon change. It seems you were among those who secured audience with the Prince last night; have you finalized the details of your mission?"

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, there was nothing more sinister than an adventurous palate involved in the offer (and what you are beginning to suspect is an incurable sweet tooth, given past experience).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "The fact that you know about that gives me heart that I've found the right man for the job. I must have seen half a dozen others in audience with the Prince last night, but you probably know all their names too, don't you? Or at least a description." While she listens to his answer, Daiya chews away at the slightly-too-large bite she has just taken, trying to unstick the pastry from her mouth.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

After taking care of some minor purchases on the way back, Grimmgang returned to their ship, the map savely tucked away in the Bag of Holding. "Port Verge next, captain", he said to Thaddeus by way of greeting. "Daiya should return soon enough, then wheneaver you're ready."

Spoiler
    Show
    I load up some elemental damage
    1 Alchemist's Fire
    2 Acid Flasks
    2 Alchemist's Sparks
    edit: and a MW Jump tool. Some nonrestrictive pants perhaps long as it isn't spandex
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-12-23 at 11:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Troll in the Playground

Shard accompanied Grimmgamg but did not itself do any shopping. "Your barabarian did an excellent job on your beard, Sir Dwarf. It is odd to think though...one would guess a spell for hair restoration would have been researched by now..."

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

"That's cheating", Grimmgang said harshly. "A dwarf's beard is sign of age, experience and social status. And it has to grow natural. Using magics for it would be a dishonor."

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Troll in the Playground

Shard ponders this information solemnly for a few moments, finally breaking the silence.

"Then, because it was prematurely shorn, other dwarfs will think you younger. Is it not dishonorable to be dishonest about your age? I have heard that females often partake in this behavior."