New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Thaddeus looks up from the log he's writing, adding another line before nodding and closing the book. "I'll gather the crew. We should be ready to set out within the hour."

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The Varus sisters," Matthias responds with a slight smile. "A social call, I believe. Foley Wyr, most likely pushing for extra patrols around the northern routes. A rather nondescript fellow who I happen to know was carrying news of an upcoming raid." He shrugs, sipping his tea. "It is an easy way of keeping tabs on the lighter side of royal business."

"What about your own? Do I get the pleasure of learning your secret and no-doubt fascinating destination?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "I suppose if you're going to warn me about people heading in my direction it would be necessary for you to know where I am going. Very well. We make first for Port Verge, I believe my companions said. I tend to let them do the navigating. From there we go to Trebez Sinara, following the next trail in our search for old artifacts."

Daiya sips her tea, sighs, then assumes a more direct attitude.

"Unfortunately, we have to talk terms at some point. I have brought with me payment for four weeks, at the price of 105 gold pieces a week. Also I've brought our spare Sending Stones, which we find ourselves less in need now that I'm getting a better handle on magic. I will contact you once a week to give and receive a status update. If you feel that something requires more urgent care, then use the stones."
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2013-01-01 at 07:44 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Matthias hides a smile behind his teacup, setting down the pastry. "Trebez Sinara? That sounds like it could prove most rewarding, in fame and coin alike. But do be careful; there haven't been many successful attempts to explore the isle."

"Port Verge is a destination for many, so that will require some extra care to uncover the identities of those involved, but Sinara will be easier; anyone else heading there at the same time won't make for a very convincing coincidence."

Matthias sets the teacup aside, leaning forward. "Now then, that leaves still the matter of the 'alternate payment' we discussed. Nothing onerous, I assure you. But I do have a riddle you may be able to solve, and I'd like you to take it seriously."

His voice becomes smoother, his gaze focused, as though quoting a verse long-remembered. "There was a woman who went her whole life without raising a hand against anyone. She led a simple life, working earnestly to better her station, and married a man she had loved since childhood. By the time her death neared, her family was quite wealthy."

"A priest who had known her when she was a child visited her one day; it is not known whom he venerated, but he saw the woman's fine dwelling and clothes and became distraught. 'You were a simple peasant once,' he cried. 'You have received the favour of the gods so many times, to rise this far, and yet you have given back nothing. If you were to lose that favour, you would be powerless!'"

"The woman's son, a hardy warrior, stepped forth in anger at the insult to his mother, but she held out a hand to stop him. The priest smiled, thinking she feared retribution from the divine, but she took up a knife and cut his throat herself. Her son was shocked, and turned to restrain his mother, but she was calmly putting the knife away. 'Even when you were raising me, I never saw you strike anyone,' he said. 'Why did you kill this priest?' How did she answer him?"

Matthias holds up a hand to forestall any response. "The answer may seem obvious, or it may not. Either way, don't tell me right away. Take some time to think on it, and give me your answer when next we meet face to face."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "When next we meet then. Under the conditions of the riddle, am I allowed to discuss it with others?"

Daiya finishes off her tea and passes over Mattias's payment and Sending Stones (in a simple bag) before she digs in her pocket and leaves coin on the table for both of their meals.

"One other thing I must try before I go, to make sure this is going to work."

Spoiler
    Show
    First I'm going to cast Locate Creature to see if I can track Mattias. Then, regardless of the result, I'm going to cast Sending to see if he can receive this simple message. "Can you hear me when I contact you with my magic?"

Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After a moment of consideration, Matthias nods. "I suppose there is no harm in telling it to others; you might find their replies interesting. But don't weigh their thoughts against yours; the answer you give should be yours alone."

Matthias waits patiently, nibbling on pastries as you cast the spell; his answer comes in a strange echo, the words seeming to come from his lips and inside your head at the same time. "Yes, I hear you. This will do nicely for communication. Fare well and good luck, then, until we meet again."

The journey to Port Verge features calm weather and barely a drop of rain, but it is still running into evening of the next day by the time the Swiftwind drops anchor in the bay. The port is a far cry from the magnificence of Regalport, its shallow waters preventing anything bigger than a dory from docking near the shore, but several larger ships are anchored nearby, and small boats run to and fro, ferrying passengers and cargo to shore. The wharf is crowded with fishers bringing in the day's catch, and the raucous cries of hundreds of gulls make up a fair substitute to the sounds of the Pirate Exchange.

Further inland, timber-frame and shingled homes lie in scattered clusters, their whitewash peeling from the harsh sea winds. Cobbled streets weave between them, crooked signposts placed with no apparent order directing weary sailors to what amenities the town has to offer.

A swift boat crewed by two well-dressed women in Lyrandar colours heads your way almost as soon as the anchor hits the water, pulling alongside in a matter of minutes and hailing the captain. "A good evening to you. Irene and Renette, of the House. I don't believe we've seen you here before?"

"Captain Thaddeus, of the Swiftwind, currently under passenger charter. Duration of stay unknown at this point, I believe." Thaddeus waves to a crew member, and a ladder is lowered over the side. "Go ahead; Port Verge is our foothold in the Principalities, so we're better set up here than on most of the islands," he says to you.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2013-01-06 at 07:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan emerges from belowdecks, the consequences of his recent revelry written plainly upon his face. He rubs sleep from his eyes, his temples almost visibly throbbing. "Port Verge," he mutters with displeasure, "What is it we're supposed to be doing here, again?Looking for some gnome?"

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

In the dead of night, when they were well away from land, Grimmgang heaved up the corpse of Dura wrapped in heavy chains with a grunt. "Well, unless they somehow find you and make some undead horror or the other out of you this is goodbye. Farewell Dura, I hope your afterlife is as hot as your burial is wet." He dropped her overboard, the splash disturbing the silence in the dead of night, then he turned to Ethras next.

Grimmgang looked up at Thaddeus in confusion. "What do you mean, 'our' foothold? I'm not sure who you're talking about."

"Yes, still need that damn gnome, sceptical as I am regarding the chances of his living. You said these, what was it, Sea Wyverns were in league with him." He pondered the sight of the port for a moment. "The Claw has a base here as well. We should probably not split up this time around."

Spoiler
    Show
    well, this is interesting with Kolberkon's association with House Lyrandar. Bit of a conflict of interest for Thaddeus if we have to move against the Prince and his allies. Better keep that in mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Troll in the Playground

Shard had spent the great majority of the voyage staring out at the open sea and clusters of islands from the prow. Now, it's softly glowing radiance blended with the last glittering vestiges of sunlight upon it's many faceted angles.

Smiling it's wan smile, Shard approached the Lyrander representatives. "Greetings. I am The Shard. We are seeking the Sea Wyverns. Would you be so kind as to direct us?"

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

"House Lyrandar's," Thaddeus clarifies, standing with hands clasped behind his back as he looks out over the port. "We have little presence in the rest of the Principalities, but Kolberkon has seen the benefits of cooperation."

The woman who had spoken before, short and slightly stout, tilts her head to the side as she considers Shard's question. "You might try the Bilge and Bulwark, perhaps? A lot of the less upright groups hang out there... Renette, do you know of them?"

"As luck would have it..." Swinging the vessel about, Renette flicks a long blonde ponytail out of her face as she scans the port to get her bearings. "This isn't something to spread about unnecessarily, mind, but over there on the north side, West Pearl Street? There's an old woman named Berthella, a fishmonger. The Sea Wyverns meet in her cellar. Might want to get an invitation first, depending on your intentions."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

"Is that so." For once, Grimmgang's history of lacking pleasantries worked to his advantage as there was likely nothing conspicious about his furrowed brow and narrowed eyes when he looked out at the harbor after Thaddeus's answer. So Kolberkon was friendly not only with the Emerald Claw, but also House Lyrandar. A faction better not to offend, both short-term in regards to their transport and long-term for later having collected enough funds, favours and allies to begin his project. Better to tread carefully. Why did politics always feel like traversing a trap-strewn corridor?

"Well, that part at least was easier than expected", he said when Renette readily supplied the meeting place of their quarry. "Let's go then."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

Irene and Renette drop you off at the wharf before returning to the ship for the crew members, and Port Verge reveals the product of its great quest for glory as you make your way to the indicated street - a faded, peeling glamour that serves only to showcase a consistent and futile effort. Houses are whitewashed and reshingled, only to have the poorly shielded salt winds steadily scour one and then the other, until another repetition is required. Nearly every building you pass is in some stage of this constant decay, with the only exceptions those structures that have been given up on entirely, and stand as crumbling, deserted monuments that tickle the nose with the scent of dust and dry rot.

Yet for all of this, the inhabitants share few of the characteristics of their town. Although the people you pass in the streets run the gamut from grouchy to exuberant, there is little to be found in the way of idleness or depression. Few of the glances you get could be described as friendly, but there is an active undercurrent of interest tying them all together. One gets the sense that while those who live here are hard and weathered, they are deeply invested in the town; they may not all be on the same side, but there is no room for apathy.

A scouting pass down West Pearl Street reveals several unremarkable dwellings, a baker, a few craftsmen, and three fishmongers, but only one of the latter is run by an old woman, so there would seem to be little doubt of your destination. Grimmgang's keen eyes spot a separate cellar entrance behind the house as you round a bend in the road, perhaps the reason the house was chosen as a meeting spot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

Two exits. This might tell something about the Sea Wyverns. They knew how dangerous it would be to have no way of escaping a sudden assault, a lesson the Emerald Claw detachment in Adderport only had moments to understand before their demise. And perhaps more importantly, it very well could mean the Sea Wyverns didn't feel secure in this environment. Or they were just naturally cautious, always a prudent thing.

"Well, I guess we just go in the front door and announce ourselves?"

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan watched the arc of Renette's ponytail with lascivious interest. Something about the way the Lyrandar emissary carried herself caught his fancy. Perhaps it was because he hadn't seen a blonde in ages, and the only women he'd seen of late were either friends or trying to kill him. Daiya was so proper as to nearly be sexless, and Irelia, while charming, was both married and entirely incompatible with her gnomish anatomy. Dura wasn't his type at all, and while Ethras might have been fun for an evening's romp, she would have been more trouble than it was worth.

The bard stood back, watching Irene and Renette lead them toward Pearl Street. His thoughts turned toward strategy, 'I'd love to see your Dragonmark.' No, no, too cheesy. How about, 'Once you go Seren...' Bah. He was too distracted by his hangover to make a move, the dull thud in his skull making the world beat before him like a pulse. Finally, they arrived. Before they left, Xaxhan stammered, "Lovely to have met you, Irene and Renette. I hope our paths cross again." Gods, he was off his game.

He turned to Grimmgang and the business at hand. "We could go in directly and request an audience with whichever Sea Wyvern is in charge. State that we're looking for Thraxis. Of course, if they are in league with the Claw, which we suspect, they may be less than forthcoming with information. They may even be expecting us. We could snoop around a bit. I can try and conjure up some information around the area, and you're a scout, aren't you? Do some reconnoitering or whatever you call it. Daiya's proven adept at that as well, she could help. Shard," here Xaxhan paused to heave a brief sigh, "Shard can accompany me while I ask about. Does that sound reasonable?"

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

"Military scout", Grimmgang corrected sharply. "I'm not used to snoooping around villages. Still, I could probably get a reading on their numbers, and whether we're already under surveillance." Knowing the exit of their meeting place would give an opportunity to employ his tracking skills, though doing this in broad daylight with plenty of non-friendlies around was certainly new. "Just hope they are not all buddy-buddy with the Claw, or they're hostile to us by default. Sea Wyverns with the Claw, Kolberkon with he Claw and Kolberkon with House Lyrandar... In this place not even our own ride might be on our side!"

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I'm more of a tracker than a city scout as well, but I am a fair read of people, and most people don't think to take the necessary measures to hide from the sense of vibration and smell, which means I have a couple extra tricks up my sleeve that will help me find any followers."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

"I am afraid I am, as Grimmgang put it, conspicuous as a thumb which has been accidentally struck my a misplaced hammer strike...an accident which apparently dwarves do not actually make might I add. I could knock upon the front door with some competency however."

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right. Let's hop to it, then."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information about: the city, the Sea Wyverns, Kolberkon, and Thraxis. General feel for the place and what we might be looking at. (1d20+5)[9]

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

"Good. Let's meet up again... at that corner over there." He points to a place well down the street. "Shouldn't linger that close to their turf."

He departed, and when he passed by the cellar exit he stopped and knelt down, pretending to adjust Drasil's armor straps. He took some moments to check the ground for recent use to get a reading for how often the exit is used and how many frequent the place, then he stood up and casually walked on again, spending the time wandering around and checking the dymanics of the people. How many of them seem well-armed, carry some kind of insignia or pay the kind of attention to others one reserves for the kind of people you'd gut with pleasure if circumstances allowed for it. If the Emerald Claw already learned of their presence there sure were some people having these thoughts about him too...

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival - (1d20+9)[22]
    Spot - (1d20+14)[15]

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The area behind the house is certainly more well-trafficked than one would expect an alley to be, enough so that it is a difficult task to get a read on the number of individuals using the door without arousing suspicion. Nonetheless, from various bootprints and other traces near the door, you estimate that at least ten and possibly as many as twenty people make use of it on a semi-regular basis.

The populace in general seems to carry knives as a matter of course, although larger weapons are less in abundance - only a few foppish individuals with rapiers and the occasional brutish-looking sort with a sword or axe are in evidence. Insignia aside from a shark of some sort - common enough that it probably belongs to Kolberkon's men - and an obvious Lyrandar employee or two are nowhere to be found. Few people pay you much attention, that you can tell, and none of it seems more than passing.

Xaxhan/Shard:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Be it Xaxhan's strange appearance, Shard's chiming presence beside him, or simply the irritatingly persistent effects of the previous night's drinking, no one in town seems much inclined to stop and chat with him. His efforts draw a few irritated glances, perhaps expressing the sentiment than anyone who has to ask such things doesn't need to know, but little in the way of answers. He does manage to pick up that neither the Sea Wyverns nor Thraxis are unknown names in the area, and the former might not be considered good friends of Kolberkon.

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A read of the town produces little information on your target, but surrendering to your other senses as you go is at least sufficient to convince you that no one is paying you any undue attention. If the Claw had tails in this town, either they haven't picked you up yet or they were among those to fall at Vorgaard's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

Some time later, Grimmgang returned to their meeting place, absent-mindedly kicking up dirt with his boot. "10, maybe 20 judging from the marks on the ground. Possibly more if we assume not all enter and leave through the back door. Saw no sign of our 'old friends'. Either they didn't notice us yet, or they're hiding it well." He bit off a chunk of the bread roll he picked up at the baker. A simple meal, but spending time on a ship always hurt his appetite. First the jungle, then island-hopping; the way his luck was going Jheamast's tomb is probably an underwater cavern.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

"Probably they haven't noticed us. I didn't sense anyone tailing us, and with Shard around...it's rather difficult to miss us, you know?"

Daiya gives her brief report as she arrives, pulling her blindfold up and wiping her face with it.

"Wonder what sort of info Xaxhan has managed to dredge up..."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not much, I'm afraid," Xaxhan replied as he turned the corner. "The town seems appallingly insular. People seem to know something, but no one is talking. It seems like the Sea Wyverns and Kolberkon aren't particularly close, though. Could further complicate this whole mess." After the others bring him up to speed on their findings, he crosses his arms and idly strokes his chin with his left thumb. "So, we haven't discovered much of use, and I'm keen to leave this place. Shall we knock on the front door and inquire?"

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, looks like it comes down to that", Grimmgang answered while chewing. "Go ahead."

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan grimaced momentarily, sighed, screwed up his courage and knocked on the door.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

Knocking on the door itself proves unnecessary, as Berthella is outside with her wares, although much of the day's catch seems to have been sold already. A wiry woman with steel-grey hair done up in a tight bun, she notes Xaxhan's attention as he approaches. "A good evenin' to yeh," she calls in a scratchy voice, tapping on one of the bins. "Got fresh mackerel if you fancy a nice dinner, some surf clams left too. Care for a look?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

Walking up behind the bard, Shard looked around at the scene.

"People here do not seem to be as friendly as Regalport. Grimmgang, is this what is meant by the expression, 'there is something that smells fishy around here?'"

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan smiled broadly at the thin old woman. "Thank you, but we're not interested in the fruits of the sea. We're seeking an audience with the Sea Wyverns, just a quiet conversation about an old colleague of theirs. We'd make sure it wouldn't be a waste of their time. Might you be able to arrange something like that for us?"

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing it's question ignored, Shard said more quietly (but still audible enough), "It does smell fishy here..."

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang mulled Shard's question over for some moments. Truth to be told, he had no idea to the origins of the saying and wasn't all that interested anyway, so he just rolled with it. "Sure, why not."

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

Berthella eyes you suspiciously for some moments, but eventually glances up and down the street and returns a slow nod. "Might be they'd want to see yeh. Clear off for now, come back in half an hour." She jerks a thumb toward the back of the building. "And use the cellar door. I'm not one o' them."

Grumbling quietly, she heads inside for a few minutes after you've left before returning to her wares.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2013-01-21 at 11:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei