New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Aren't all Infernals taken to Malfaes, and then taught by the Yozi? So, it really makes sense for them to be brought together and given group objectives.
    This is in fact exactly how they work.

Although they're often given solo assignments. There's only 50 of them.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Aren't all Infernals taken to Malfaes, and then taught by the Yozi? So, it really makes sense for them to be brought together and given group objectives.
    It's the only 50 exaltations aspect that gets me really. In 1e they were villainous types so the scarcity didn't matter since more often than not you'd be fighting one or two with a host of demons and such, but for a game based on them, having 10%+ (I always assume that not every exaltation is in use at any given time) of your special princes all working on the same project when creation is so huge is rather... yeah.
    BEEP.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Working alone, and Solar-level Exalt could easily take over a nation in the Threshold.

In a group, they could topple the realm if given decent support/knowledge(which the Internals have due to, well, Hell backing them).
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    The Crane. It is out.

And it made Infernals fun to play. Who knew?
    Excuse me while I do my Infernal-transhumanism dance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, is says in Glories that Sol doesn't know SMA, he doesn't imagine he's missing anything important. And he's so intrinsically tied to the Daystar I imagine if it knew something, so would he. But, Luna? Creation's greatest warrior? He's stronger, more agile, tougher, a better fighter (comparing his Melee to her Martial Arts), a better shot with any weapon, a better sorcerer, he can channel more powerful Virtues than her, and his unique Charms are far more powerful. Her only chance to even challenge him is to use her Shaping powers to boost her attributes and abilities, but even then the Aegis will stop whatever she tries and his MASSIVE damage output puts hers to shame. Luna is Creation's second greatest warrior, possibly tied with Jupiter.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

...wait. The Daystar DOES know an SMA. Vermillion Clouds of Sunset.

...THIS. IS. AWESOME.

Someone please, please write this SMA up. *drools*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

<<; Speaking of essence 10 war gods, son of one, right here.

Played again today. This game just gets funner and funner.

Finally got to go into God Body form! It was pretty sweet. Put on some G Gundam music and gave an appropriately hot-blooded description. It was pretty badass. The infernal we were fighting didn't exactly appreciate me doing that after ripping through over half her health levels though.

She took my sword, but I tackled her and got her back. She disappeared into some black egg before we destroyed her evil though. >>;

Anyways, who is the Daystar and how is he different from the Sun?

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    Anyways, who is the Daystar and how is he different from the Sun?
    The Daystar is the pimpmobile of the UCS.

It's the real name of the big ball of light above creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    The Daystar is the pimpmobile of the UCS.

It's the real name of the big ball of light above creation.
    Ooohhh... Well. ...Huh. That's... One really sweet ride, I gotta say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    The Daystar Engine Dirigible is a city-sized ball of fire and metal that is the most awesome thing in the setting.
    ....Okay, yeah. Awesome.

Sidenote.. What's a good book to read up about the Scarlet Empress in? Or is she supposed to be left intentionally vague for STs to fill in?
    Last edited by Mattarias, King.; 2010-11-11 at 03:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

The Compass of Celestial Directions Volume 1: The Blessed Isle has some on her known history, but the new Return of the Scarlet Empress book has her most recent history.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

The Compass of Celestial Directions Volume 1: The Blessed Isle has some on her known history, but the new Return of the Scarlet Empress book has her most recent history.
    Ah, that makes sense. Forgot about those books. Thank you kindly.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

The Daystar Engine Dirigible is a city-sized ball of fire and metal that is the most awesome thing in the setting.
    Your mileage may vary, of course. Some of us prefer if the sun is just a miasma of incandescent plasma.

((The sun is not actually a miasma of incandescent plasma.))
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, it's not?

*looks away from computer*

Mom, you lied to me!

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

...actually, I'm not quite sure what the sun is.

I should have become an astrophysicist to learn what it is.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

It's a gigantic constant hydrogen explosion.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

It is still made out of matter, so it has to be in a phase of matter (though last I checked, there were about 7 phases of matter).

Also, I wouldn't call it an explosion, since it is closer to things merging together, producing great energy.
    I use black for sarcasm.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

The sun is in fact a miasma of incandescent plasma. Created by the heat from a constant nuclear fission reaction.

What, you don't think plasma is a phase of matter? What do you think it is, energy?

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Speaking as someone who has studied such things (I'm not an astrophysicist, but some were across the hall from me), I think the argument of what counts as a phase of matter not so useful. There are so many different "phases" of matter that to get really precise about what counts as what is splitting hairs. The sun is made of plasma, which basically means that it is a gas that can conduct electricity. However, the plasma at the core of the sun behaves very differently than that at the edge.

So that I don't derail the thread too much, it is clear the above is a big lie. The sun is clearly a junkie god's WMD. Save us Oh Neverborn!

Edit: On second readying that came off really egotistical. Sorry, that's not what I meant, I was just trying to clear up confusion.
    Last edited by a_humble_lich; 2010-11-11 at 05:15 AM.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Your mileage may vary, of course. Some of us prefer if the sun is just a miasma of incandescent plasma.

((The sun is not actually a miasma of incandescent plasma.))
    Dude, the Daystar knows Kung Fu.

SIDEREAL Kung Fu. Taught by an elder Sidereal, using a MASSIVE ARRAY OF MIRRORS. This is awesomeness personnified.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #441
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would anyone be willing to go over this Full Moon Lunar I've made for an Exalted game on Myth Weavers? We were given an extra 75 bonus points (in addition to the normal 15) for character creation to represent the PCs being experienced Exalts.

It's my first character and I'm not sure how well it'll work. Also, we can get one free combo so if anyone can suggest one, I'm all ears.

Oh, and while I think of it; has anyone heard any rumours about the Sidereal errata and when it's coming out? I'm wanting to make a Sidereal, but I'd rather leave it for after that's out (since I'm assuming it'll fix the current all-over-the-place Sidereal charms).
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like a pretty functional character. Since you ask...

• He's awfully specialized; almost all his Charms are oriented towards combat. Nothing wrong with a focused character, but you might consider taking another Excellency or two. Charms like Finding the Needle's Eye and Cat Falling Attitude are cool, but you might not have many chances to use them; a social Excellency, on the other hand, is applicable to nearly any social situation.

I'd recommend picking up a social or mental Attribute Excellency to give you more options out of combat - Excellencies are pretty broadly applicable, especially Lunar Attribute-based ones. They may seem like boring options on paper, but when you're actually playing, just being good at stuff is pretty fun.

• Relentless Lunar Fury and Deadly Beastman Transformation are the bread-and-butter Charms of Lunar combat. Both allow you to invoke lots of other Charm effects all at the same time; this is a significant advantage in a fight. A Sidereal martial artist or Solar swordsman might have tons of scene-long Charms they can use to enhance themselves, but they usually won't get to use more than a few in any one fight. A Lunar with well-picked Charms (i.e. focused on Gift and Fury-OK Charms) can go from idle to fully powered in the space of a single action, and can actually use all of the Charms they bought. Charms that you use a lot are almost always better than Charms that you hardly ever use.

You've got the basic Charms and a couple of Gift and Fury-OK additions already, so you may have gotten this already. Worth keeping an eye on those keywords when picking future Charms, though.

• You've got both Claws of the Silver Moon and a daiklaive, and you're investing in both Martial Arts and Melee. Mechanically speaking, this is not a great idea. It's not terrible, it's just that you're investing in two redundant combat strategies, rather than focusing on one. I'm assuming it's a stylistic choice, though, and who are we to gainsay style? Moving on.

• Speaking from a strictly mathematical standpoint, it'd be a good idea to buy Essence 5 with bonus points now, rather than stopping at 4. It would cost you 10 bonus points, which you could get by giving up a couple of favored Charms; if you did it with XP, it would cost you 36 experience, which you could use to purchase 3 favored Charms and have some experience left over.

That said, having fun with the character is more important than crunching numbers so they all fit perfectly; if you like all of your starting Charms and aren't in a hurry to grab Essence 5, don't feel like you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    Sidenote.. What's a good book to read up about the Scarlet Empress in? Or is she supposed to be left intentionally vague for STs to fill in?
    I get the impression that it was originally supposed to be the latter, but that has evidently changed since then. Not entirely happy about that myself, but ah well.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, is says in Glories that Sol doesn't know SMA, he doesn't imagine he's missing anything important. And he's so intrinsically tied to the Daystar I imagine if it knew something, so would he. But, Luna? Creation's greatest warrior? He's stronger, more agile, tougher, a better fighter (comparing his Melee to her Martial Arts), a better shot with any weapon, a better sorcerer, he can channel more powerful Virtues than her, and his unique Charms are far more powerful. Her only chance to even challenge him is to use her Shaping powers to boost her attributes and abilities, but even then the Aegis will stop whatever she tries and his MASSIVE damage output puts hers to shame. Luna is Creation's second greatest warrior, possibly tied with Jupiter.
    Well yeah. Far as I've heard from some veteran players, Luna was probably supposed to be the greatest warrior with Sunny as greatest general, but, well, things didn't go that direction.

Which surprises no one. The writers are Solar fans and don't care much about Lunars - it's only logical they'd extend the same to their respective gods .

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

So... with Broken Winged Crane out, I now feel as though I can actually fulfill my desire to play a heroic GSP.

Does... anyone feel like STing an Infernals game with an eye towards going "**** you" to the Yozis? Preferably would be high Essence...

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Incarnae aside, Lunars are probably better fighters than Solars. A Lunar can buy a Dex Excellency and use it to boost all relevant combat traits rather than 3-4 charms like a Solar. Their Charm options are just more efficient. And they get more starting Attribute dots than a Solar. A Solar is good at everything. A Lunar is really good at stabbing people.

26. - Top - End - #446

So long as combat is working on a basis where efficient and versatile dice adders are still the name of the game, then yes, they can beast Solars pretty handily. But by mid Essence 3 at least, that really isn't the case any longer.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Lunars can get all their scene longs up much faster than anybody else, too - while a Sidereal martial artist might have five game-breakingly powerful scene longs he can have up at once, he needs an action for each one.

The Lunar, meanwhile, can throw up Deadly Beastman Transformation and Relentless Lunar Fury in a single turn and they're good to go.

(Of course Snark already said this earlier.)

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I get the impression that it was originally supposed to be the latter, but that has evidently changed since then. Not entirely happy about that myself, but ah well.
    Yeah.. The only reason I was wondering about her is because I think that, instead of Mars, SHE was my great, great, etc. grandma. Which I wouldn't put past my ST, but hooo boy, does that change things. Especially if word got out after I learn this in-character. I'd have to worry about more than just Sidereal assassins every once in a while.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

...If the Scarlet Empress was your great great... grandmother, you'd be a Terrestrial Exalted, not a God-Blooded.

Her Redness is a Terrestrial.

30. - Top - End - #450

Depends, really. Dragonblooded in general have Charm technology relating to their kids called Dynasty charms that can do things like manipulating how they'll turn out in the womb, exerting mind-control and leadership effects on their direct descendants, and the like. Her Redness in particular has had plenty of incentive to develop custom Charms along those lines: I could easily see a Charm requiring a Cult rating or Gaiakumahood or something similar that could make particular kids of yours into God-Blooded rather than Terrestrials.
    Why she would want to is a different story, but it's not a total impossibility.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2010-11-11 at 02:56 PM.