New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Banned

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I think I've found one of Isidoros' humaniform jouten.

Pompadour? Check
    So much chest hair that it distends his clothes? Check
    Phallic motif? Check (Lookit that nose )

He also punches sharks and swims by grabbing the ocean and pushing it so hard that it moves behind him. Those are a bit harder to express in a screencap, though.
    Looks like a bro.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Nope. Lytek already knows, as does the Maiden of Secrets. Not to mention the Yozi and Neverborn (And their Deathlords).

Lytek: Is either trying to fix it himself, or is lazy. Depends on your opinion.
    MoS: Well, she's not telling anyone. It's her nature.
    Yozi: Hah. It's a crapshoot if they even tell their Infernals about it. Same goes for the Deathlords and their Abyssals.
    Yozi: aren't part of creation, thus aren't part of Nara-O's purview. Same for Neverborn. Not sure about deathlords, but I believe they're outside of fate as well..
    MoS: either doesn't count towards his purview, or his purview doesn't do anything at all.
    Lytek: He knows there's a flaw. We know what the flaw is, it's cause, and possible ways around it.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-01-08 at 08:17 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    It. Nara-O is a it.
    Well, he could be a he or a she, but that's a secret only one person knows. Can't really tell under all those bandages.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2011-01-09 at 01:46 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Troll in the Playground

So, Nara-O only knows secrets that one person knows? What happens if that person dies? Does he forget it?

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    So, Nara-O only knows secrets that one person knows? What happens if that person dies? Does he forget it?
    No, it just disapears from his files in Yu-Shan, just as though you'd told the secret to someone else.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Nara-O doesn't know secrets only one person knows. Secrets only one person knows are his purview, but he has to look them up in his files all the same.

Once he knows something he doesn't forget it.

(And 'he' is the gender neutral pronoun for people in English, so screw you and that 'it' rubbish.)
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Barbarian in the Playground

Speaking of Nara-o, through logic, Nara-o shouldn't know anything. Think about it. He automatically knows secrets known only to one person. Therefore, it is technically known by two people. Sure, being a god he can kind of screw logic, but still. 'Tis food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg Mage View Post
    Speaking of Nara-o, through logic, Nara-o shouldn't know anything. Think about it. He automatically knows secrets known only to one person. Therefore, it is technically known by two people. Sure, being a god he can kind of screw logic, but still. 'Tis food for thought.
    He doesn't count as part of his own purview, just like Xaos, I think his name is, doesn't count for his purview. Xaos is the God of Things No One Knows.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

The bad thing about them is neither of those gods can tell the secrets. Its completely against their nature and would make Exalted too easy.

So I'm thinking Nara-O or Xaos concocting some complicated scheme for someone to find out the Great Curse by themselves would make a great Exalted game, just imagine the convoluted scheming that he would have to pull off
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    The bad thing about them is neither of those gods can tell the secrets. Its completely against their nature and would make Exalted too easy.

So I'm thinking Nara-O or Xaos concocting some complicated scheme for someone to find out the Great Curse by themselves would make a great Exalted game, just imagine the convoluted scheming that he would have to pull off
    Actually Xaos tries to share the things he knows quite regularly. People just tend to go mad when he tells them.

Nara-O similarly doesn't seem to have any behavioral prohibitions against telling others things he knows.

11. - Top - End - #1331

RedWizardGuy

Hypothetical question: How would you go about porting a Thousand-Forged Dragon into 3.5? The Construct type is the obvious way to go (average BAB, but autosuccess on all Fort rolls makes up for that), and I was thinking about giving it a Disintegrate effect as a breath weapon, because I think a dragon really isn't complete without a breath weapon.
    Last edited by Teln; 2011-01-10 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

Thousand-Forged Dragons don't have a breath weapon. They suck in Essence until they go critical, then explode with the force of a nuclear blast.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Thousand-Forged Dragons don't have a breath weapon. They suck in Essence until they go critical, then explode with the force of a nuclear blast.
    Gasp of Hesiesh disagrees.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm wrong there. Been a while since I last looked at their write up. My game isn't quite ready for that level of threat.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

Tables, you say? Fine, I'll try a table. (Yes, I'm behind the times. Live.)

{table=head]Player|ST?|Favorite Exalt|Second Favorite Exalt|Third Favorite Exalt|Favorite Game Type

Random_person|Yep.|Alchemicals|Infernals|Lunars|An y[/table]
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2011-01-11 at 11:41 PM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been getting a hankering to run one of the published adventures as a solo adventure for a slightly higher-powered exalt (Ess 4-ish, rather than 2).

I don't know why.

So, I guess this is an interest check. Would anyone be interested?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes please! I'd be very willing to play as anything but a Sidereal, and somewhat willing for that.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright then, I suppose I'll get to work thinking up the houserules. If you can get on AIM, we can get the pre-adventure fluff stuff out of the way faster, and fit your char into the story better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, I'm there now.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds interesting to me as well. Probably a Lunar of some sort, though a solar would be interesting as well.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Alright, so I've been finishing up the details on my character, and my group got together last night to run a sample combat so that we could all get a bit of an idea on how that flows.

Things went pretty ok, but I have a question about Glorious Solar Saber (and I'm thinking that reading that sentence might cause a few of you to groan.)

See, my problem was, I wanted my character to use melee, but my character also only has 1 Str, which is pretty limiting on the weapons you can use. I figured, hey, if I pick up GSS, I don't think I have to worry about the Str requirements of the weapon, but I'm not exactly sure about how to actually /use/ GSS.
    Anyways, according to the Errata, 5m will get you a weapon with traits equal to a 3 dot artifact weapon. Problem is, in the core book at least, the only 3 dot artifact weapons I can find are your crazy grand gore-this's, and grand grim-that's, that are all sporting 14L-16L damage, and from what I can tell, and have read on here, that way madness lies.
    So yeah. I guess what I'm going for here is suggestions. Are there any good 3 dot artifact weapons to use with GSS that aren't going to start an arms-race?

(Also, the spell "Flight of the Brilliant Raptor"? So fun to use. Fwoosh. )

22. - Top - End - #1342

Hrm, I keep seeing this thread here and I'm about to play in an Exalted game for the second time (the first one was ages ago and fell apart rapidly however, so I'm not exactly extremely familiar with the system). As a result, I feel inclined to ask if there's anything I should know before mechanically creating my character that wouldn't be immediately obvious (or any tips on the most effective way to go about it/the best uses of the system)

To be a bit more specific, the character I'm developing is a blind Twilight caste who navigates through echolocation ala Ben Underwood if you're familiar with him. The character will also be rather obsessed with obscure forms of martial arts and the lore surrounding their creation/the way they portray reality.

Ah also, is there a reason not to invest in Essence 4 at start?

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

There is indeed a reason not to invest in Essence 4 - it costs a lot of BP and doesn't give that much of an advantage.

Essence 3 is wiser.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ettin in the Playground

The best thing to invest in with bonus points is Charms and Ability Dots. Attributes also work, but are a little less cost efficient. Essence 3 is easy enough to pick up after about 4 sessions - it has no training time.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    Hrm, I keep seeing this thread here and I'm about to play in an Exalted game for the second time (the first one was ages ago and fell apart rapidly however, so I'm not exactly extremely familiar with the system). As a result, I feel inclined to ask if there's anything I should know before mechanically creating my character that wouldn't be immediately obvious (or any tips on the most effective way to go about it/the best uses of the system)

To be a bit more specific, the character I'm developing is a blind Twilight caste who navigates through echolocation ala Ben Underwood if you're familiar with him. The character will also be rather obsessed with obscure forms of martial arts and the lore surrounding their creation/the way they portray reality.

Ah also, is there a reason not to invest in Essence 4 at start?
    That sounds familiar to me from a different Ben...

It does depend on a wide variety of things. There are reasons not to go essence 4, but there are reasons to hang your build on it as well. It is not the most efficient use of bonus points, as has been said, but who cares? Exalted ain't never really been about "optimization," because the instant you start optimizing everything everywhere dies and combat becomes about as exciting as flipping a coin.

In general, essence 3 satisfies many of your prereqs and lets you do the awesomes while leaving you enough BP to not be a one track wonder IME. But your call.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    The best thing to invest in with bonus points is Charms and Ability Dots. Attributes also work, but are a little less cost efficient. Essence 3 is easy enough to pick up after about 4 sessions - it has no training time.
    Charms are really expensive with bonus points, actually, coming to about 2.33 XP per bonus point. The best thing to invest in with bonus points is favored abilities above 3 and specialties (at least 5 XP per BP), Attributes to 5 (4 XP per BP), Virtues above 2 (6 XP per BP) and Willpower (if you take it from 5 to 10, 14 XP per BP). Almost everythig else is ridiculously expensive compared to these and are likely better off being bought with XP.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2011-01-14 at 01:03 PM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's really not so much about optimization. Buying Essence 4 at the start is just kind of pointless. If you're spending 14 of your 15 or 18 BP to raise yourself to Essence 4, well, what are you going to do with Essence 4?

You have ten charms at character generation, and if you want to grab Essence 4 charms, you're going to be blowing most of those ten on a single charm tree.

You could want to grab Celestial circle sorcery, I guess, but how are you getting spells without those delicious BP? You can trade in charms (correct me if I'm wrong), but trading in your charms for sorcery, the great Willpower eater, is a good way to get yourself killed pretty quickly, especially as you're going to have a smaller Willpower pool then you might want.

And because you're blowing all of your BP on Essence, you're stuck at starting levels for almost everything else.

Really, why would you want Essence 4 when you can get everything you want or need as a starting character at Essence 3?
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Really, why would you want Essence 4 when you can get everything you want or need as a starting character at Essence 3?
    You even get things you may not want or need, such as a Charm to turn "killed" Primordials and Yozis into Neverborn.
    I use black for sarcasm.

29. - Top - End - #1349

To be clearer, I will be either buying Essence up to 4 at start or shortly after the game begins barring some extremely good reason not to (some of the martial arts I'm interested in require high essence).

Also, thanks for the brief breakdown of BP effectiveness - that's the kind of information I'm looking for in general. Charms I should have because they're extremely effective for their cost, bits of information I might not notice that could be relevant later, etc. Things to ensure smooth design and play I suppose.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

Which Martial Arts?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.