New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Link (Legend of Zelda) as a Dnd Character.

I was wondering if somebody could help me make Link into a Level 15 Dnd Character.

I'm kinda stuck on how he would settle out as a dnd character.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Link (Legend of Zelda) as a Dnd Character.

Link:

Elf (Hylian - High Elf) +2 DEX - 2 CON

Level 15 Warmage.

Done.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Warmage sounds a little heavy magic for a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hehe; I just occured to me that making his items should prove fun.

Boomerang - Distance and stun capabilities.
    Hookshot - Reverse Bullrush?
    Callable Suits (Basic) (Fire Resistent) (Underwater Breathing)

What other "Classic" Link Items am I missing (at least ones that matter)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Depends. WHich Link are you talking about?

The one in Ocarina of Time would be almost entirely Ranger (spell-less variant). The one in Majora's Mask could have picked up a few levels in Fighter.

The one in Wind Waker would be almost entirely Swashbuckler, with some Fighter levels thrown in.

The one in Twilight Princess? Ranger/Warblade, I think.

A Link to the Past? Fighter with cross-class Use Magic Device, maybe. Perhaps a few levels in Rogue.

Adventure of Link? Fighter/Wizard/Eldrich Knight or Spellsword.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-11-06 at 08:20 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lets go with the more classical style of link. (link to the past? SNES one)

Sword/Shield
    Able to use light amount of magic.
    Bow (light/fire/? )arrows.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say something like Rogue 2/Fighter 5/Ranger 4/Sorcerer 4. Good stats in every are (except probably CON in the earlier games, where he's pretty fragile). I might just say Bard 15, but for Din's fire.

It really depends on the game, though. E.G. Twilight Princess doesn't use magic, so he's probably some Bard variant throughout.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno, I still think Bard fits just fine. He doesn't really wear armor, uses a few different weapons, has some spells but doesn't go for broke, and he likes to get down with his ocarina. Also he's incredibly well liked by complete strangers (Come on in, sure you can break my pots and steal my rupees), doesn't have an animal companion or a whole lot of spell spells, just kinds of effects, is good all around at skill-things, and wears a festive hat. Also bard is a heckuva lot less complicated than taking 3-4 levels in 5 different classes.

Just flavor him a battle bard with a mithril shield and heavy ranks in UMD for his special items. Instead of proficiency feats, make them UMD based and then get his skill up so he doesn't have to or barely has to roll (thus explaining why he is proficient with every exotic-ass weapon he finds, hey look, a hook that shoots out of a gun that stuns if I hit them in the right spot, >KPWER< Direct Hit!) and then make his sword's full HP= special attack an item enchantment, probably worth between +1-+3 depending on the strength you choose to assign it.

EDIT: Consider fighter to be an uninspired second choice.
    Last edited by ocato; 2007-11-06 at 08:33 AM.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hmm. If I had to pick ONE class, it'd be swordsage. Link mostly has in-combat abilities, and Swordy fits 'em.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

True true.

A slightly modded bard should do.

11. - Top - End - #11

Naaah. Link casts magic from items, and the power of songs come from the Ocarina, which is a super artifact. If you want a Jack Link, I'd say Factotum.

The bad thing with statting Link is that he's loaded on Artifacts, which makes him hard to define.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

C'mon, Link has to have a high BaB and something like Rapid Shot. Look how fast he can fire those arrows!

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #13

Yah. ToB + homebrewed long ranged school/Font of inspirationed Factotum with Cunning Surge forevah!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Naaah. Link casts magic from items, and the power of songs come from the Ocarina, which is a super artifact. If you want a Jack Link, I'd say Factotum.

The bad thing with statting Link is that he's loaded on Artifacts, which makes him hard to define.
    Yeah, his items do tend to muck things up a bit. I would give him straight ranger, or ranger/fighter. His favored enemy is obviously gannon, and he prolly has 45 con with all those heart containers he gets. S assuming he gets the con boosts from the heart containers, he could pretty much be anything. His HP increases phenominally.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Each heart is only about four to eight HP, really.

Also: Link has no innate magical power. Every time he gets a magic bar, it's either a gift from a Great Fairy, or it appears when he picks up a magical item, or it starts off empty and he has to collect magic jars to fill it up.

Anyone can probably have that type of magic, no matter what their class is.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-11-06 at 08:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Swordsage? thats the one TOB class everybody talks about?

That sounds good for at least majority of the levels. Does it have UMD?

I have a feeling that a few Custom Made Magic items are gonna need to be made one way or the other.

I know he needs to be a sword a shield user; with Longbow Capabilites.
    Elven (or half Elven? I can never remember)
    Exotic Weapon Capabilities on at least Boomerang; if not hookshot.

17. - Top - End - #17

Yeah, swordsage is form ToB. It's what a monk should have been, and well optimized, it's likely the most powerful noncheesed (like ubercharger) melee class. It can do things as innocent as focused attacks to flying or unleashing inferno's. Hmm, that really sounds like Din's fire.

But it doesn't have UMD. It's not a problem, however, since Artifacts don't require much UMD, do they? I agree tho, new items will be needed, though some maneuvers could work as items.

I think he wouldn't need exotic. The hookshot seems like a wondrous item.

Oh, here's a llink to maneuvers, if you want it. Take a peek at Desert Wind and look for it's level 9 'neuver. There's Din's.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a
    Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; 2007-11-06 at 09:09 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it's a perfect class. Just gotta remember cha isn't a complete dump stat. and make a slight UMD boosting Item. (+ cross class skill points spent into it)
    Probally that hat he always wears

19. - Top - End - #19

Sounds neat. And at high levels, the dual boost ability could be used for putting up two items at a time. Nayru's and hover boots together? Deal!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Link's magical abilities aren't really his abilities, though. He gets them from powerful magic items. Even Din's Fire is an actual item instead of a real spell!

Maybe you should craft a "Legendary Hero" PrC or something.

21. - Top - End - #21

Or concede him 'neuvers and stances through items. Din's would be an inferno burst, hover boots would be a reworked Balance in the Sky, etc. The possibilities could be nigh endless.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Or you could just give him... magic items?

Why do they need to be items that grant maneuvers?

23. - Top - End - #23

Because it's more fitting with Blade Magic that Normal Magic? And because, being artifacts, they are special, and there's half a nonartifact bajillion of items that duplicate normal magic, but a dozen for bladey?

Link's items have more direct influence on his capabilities than most items, that's why I thought about it. And on a side note, the Master Sword would probably be a bastard sword, wouldn't it? And what would Fierce Deity Link's sword be?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

The Master Sword is a longsword. Link just happens to be really short when he wields it in most of the games.

Fierce Deity Link's sword? A greatsword. A powerful, epic-level greatsword, probably.

25. - Top - End - #25

Aye, the fierce deity thing's probably a Large epic greatsword, given the fierce deity is even bigger than the adult Link.

I dunno if the master sword would be a longsword, since it always seemed really big. I'm pretty sure it's a +1 Holy somethingsword, tho.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Huh...I was gonna say Warblade/Eternal Blade with lots of magic items. XD
    "We are all responsible for everybody."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Because it's more fitting with Blade Magic that Normal Magic? And because, being artifacts, they are special, and there's half a nonartifact bajillion of items that duplicate normal magic, but a dozen for bladey?

Link's items have more direct influence on his capabilities than most items, that's why I thought about it. And on a side note, the Master Sword would probably be a bastard sword, wouldn't it? And what would Fierce Deity Link's sword be?
    I'd say Large Greatsword, with some snazzy enchantments. After all, the Fierce Deity Mask obviously gives you powerful build, or even a size enlargement, given how much Link grows when you put it on.

And I think we should distribute the kinds of magic. Din's Fire or Farore's Wind are obviously pure magic. However, the Fire Spin and such are more applicable as blade magic (which is why I keep recommending Warblade or Swordsage every time someone mentions this question)

EDIT: Gah, Ninja'd
    Last edited by Drascin; 2007-11-06 at 09:48 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

keep in mind, people, Link doesn't HAVE to be a level 20 character. And at level 15, even a straight swordsage would only get level 8 maneuvers. This means that he's not throwing around inferno blasts yet.

The ramification of tying his artifacts to his class ability is that if he loses said artifacts, he loses all of his power. That just won't work mechanically with the class. (Unless you suddenly start playing him as nearly useless)

To be quite honest, I feel that he would be better off as a warblade instead of a swordsage, since he doesn't feel too martial art monk-ish. Warblade, on the other hand, feels like a good fit.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I always thought of him as an elf fighter with weapon specialization (and all of the improved forms of it) for longswords, specifically the master sword. Give him some ranks in Perform (ocarina) as well as a magical ocarina. His stats would be high str, medium con, average int (he solves all of those puzzles!), low wis, high dex, and virtually no cha, since he's mute.

He wouldn't wear armor, unless you count some of that stuff he wears as light leather, but he'd carry around a shield. If you want it to be the mirror shield, just give it the ability to reflect magical attacks. Also, since I'm going all-core here, if you want to include all of those parry and special sword moves from WW and TP, I'd just give him dodge and maybe a couple of levels in duelist. Make sure he has use magic device, so he can use all of his items such as the ocarina, din's fire, nayru's love, farore's wind, magic armor (TP or WW), etc.

A few of the magic items I'd give him and what they do.

Ocarina of Time: Can teleport to select locations.
    Can heal magical diseases (see MM).
    Can change day to night and vice versa.
    Can summon a scarecrow.
    Can freeze undead for 2 rounds or until they're attacked.
    All of these require a 2 rounds to do, uninterrupted or with a concentration check.

Each of the following can only be used 3/day (I'm trying to keep these balanced).
    Din's Fire: Casts fireball on everyone around you, but you take no damage.
    Nayru's Love: Makes user invincible for 5 rounds.
    Farore's Wind: User can teleport, just like the spell, but can also teleport back by standing where they teleported to.

Boomerang: Range of 30 ft. Deals bludgeoning damage and is stunning.
    Hookshot/Clawshot/Longshot: Range of 50 ft. Deals piercing damage on enemies and can disarm. If shot at a sturdy wooden surface (or grating in the case of the clawshot) it will carry the user over to it.
    Bow: Can make fire, ice, or light arrows up to 3/day each.
    Bombs: They're bombs.
    Magic armor: Forget it, too similar to Nayru's Love.

Oh, and Link can also eat the hearts of his fallen enemies to restore health.
    Anyone who said anything is foolproof obviously underestimated the resourcefulness of complete idiots.

Spoiler
    Show

OFFICIAL DEFENDER OF MONKS, BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL!

Current characters:
    -Wild Elf Warlock
    -Orc Dragon Shaman

Shameless Plug! Help us grow!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been wondering about it for a while. I'd say he's a fighter specialized in long sword and long bow.
    Maybe throw in some prestige class, or maybe warblade for some maneuvers. Or a ranger/warblade. That sounds more right.
    And yes, Link uses magic from itens. Most of them could be activated with a cross-class UMD check.

I tried to stat his itens once. Lemme see what I can gather.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sword:
    level 1: Normal long sword.
    level 2 (Master sword): Long sword +1, special powers
    level 3 (tempered): Long sword +2, special powers
    level 4 (gold): Long sword +3, holy, special powers
    Special powers:
    When the user is above 90% of his maximum HP, he can, as a default action, make a slashing move, sending a blade made of force shot from his sword and hitting a target with a ranged attack.
    Dispell: Like a Holy Sword wielded by a paladin.
    Deflect: The wielder can ready an action to deflect any spell against a caster as if he had the Deflect Spell cast on him.
    The Master Sword is a major artifact that requires the wielder to be good aligned to activate it's powers (an evil aligned wielder will suffer a -4 negative levels effect, as long as he hold the sword, these negative levels can't be removed otherwise).

Shield:
    Blue: Normal steel large shield.
    Red: Shield +1, fire resistance 10
    Mirror: Shield +2, grants the wielder the ability to block magical attacks. Mechanically, it works like Improved Evasion.

Clothes:
    Green tunic: Normal leather armor
    Blue tunic: chain shirt +1.
    Red tunic: Mithral chain mail +2.

Boomerang:
    Blue: +1 boomerang, returning, stunning.
    Red: +2 boomerang, returning, stunning, increased range.

Bombs: After ignited and trown, explodes after 1 round, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage (1 splash fire damage), and 1d6 points of sonic damage (1 splash sonic damage)

Bow and arrows: Normal bow and arrow

Silver arrows: Silver arrows +1

Lamp, bugcatcher net, bootles, shovel: Normal itens, maybe MW or dwarven craft itens for more resitance.

Speed boots: Doubles running speed and adds 1d8 points of damage to charging attacks.

Zora's flippers: Grants swimming speed.

Cape of invisibility: Makes the wearer invisible. Making an attack while wearing it deactivates the invisibility.

Rods of fire/ice: Probably shots orbs of fire/ice respectively.

Staffs: I don't remember the names, but one grants stone skin for 10 round/day, and the other a small version of ironwall/fabricate to build small blocks of... something.

Hookshot: Special tool that replaces a MW hope/hook, can be used to pull creatures (or himself) or objects with a bullrush attempt (no AoO). Deals 1d6 points of puncturing damage with a ranged attack. Make a grapple check to make the hook cling to an enemy.

Book: Grants a +10 circunstance check to translate that weird language, even if the reader has no ranks in Decyphre Script.

Flute: Can summon 3/day a large bird that can provide transport.

Medallions: Can summon several magical effects. Need to think about this one.

Magic mirror: Sends the wielder back to his home place with a dimensional travel effect.

Moon Pearl: +10 bonus to resist Polymorph effects.

Megaton Hammer: +3 adamant greathammer

Power Gloves: Str +4, can carry and throw small sized rocks as a giant. Can pick up and throw medium sized rocks, but can walk only 5ft while carrying one.

Titan's Mitts: Str +6, can carry and throw medium sized rocks as a giant. Can pick up and throw large sized rocks, but can walk only 5ft while carrying one.

Magic Powder: Wondrous item, 20 "charges". Works as a rod of wonder when tossed over something.

EDIT: Ah, mega bomb. Something like 10d6 fire/10d6 sonic damage in a 30x30 area. Practically a minor artifact. And changing the master sword entry. That's still a major artifact because of the several powers.

I think I forgot something here and there.
    Last edited by Roderick_BR; 2007-11-06 at 12:20 PM.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."