New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warforged Wartime

Lynda shakes her head at the group. "Which of us will be the Commander? Someone needs to be able to make tactical decisions based on our combat abilities and individual skill sets." the scout crosses her arms, looking at the others.

"How do we know what anyone else is capable of? None of you has shown a comprehensive skill set."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Torrent looks up from his falchion irritably. "Selecting a commander is unnecessary. Are you so ignorant that you can't look at a battlefield and see where you should move? It's the most base of all instincts for a Warforged. Flank a foe to make him unable to keep his guard. Lead an enemy away from a vulnerable ally with a distracting blow. Simple strategies should not require you to devote any extra processing power, you should simply know."
    As far as his face is readable, he is glaring at Lynda, and seems extremely agitated. A fluid leaks from the gash on his arm, dripping on the floor and beginning to glow brightly, though he does not seem to pay any attention to it. Eventually, he relaxes to a less hostile pose, frame jerking momentarily as his pistons calibrate. "If you are all as unaware of combat strategy as you appear to be, I can function as tactician, though it is ridiculous that you should need my guidance."
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2010-11-03 at 03:39 PM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Watch it, rock head. Just because you're bigger than me doesn't mean I'm stupid. I'm more than capable of formulating strategies and showing all of you up. The thought is left unsaid as Lynda bows her head in acknowledgment.

"Orders, then?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Keeper ignores the exchange, feeling that nothing productive will come out of it (and Lynda refusing to think for herself confuses him) and turns towards Carter, waiting for his input on whether they should stay or go.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2010-11-04 at 03:56 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"Staying and going both have merit. I feel that we should stay for a short time though. That would allow us to repair ourselves and figure out what we want to do." The words come out, but seem almost hollow to all who listen. Most living that heard his speech, would likely be unnerved.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

"Repair," Keeper acknowledges the majority's decision, but remains motionless, as sitting is no more comfortable than standing. "I protect and want to be complete. Other objectives are currently not important to me."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Torrent's eyes flare for a moment. "It appears we have three in favor of staying versus one in favor of going, not counting our less decisive members. I propose we stay for two days for repairs before searching the rest of the building, preferably with an advance scout." He examines his companions. "You appear almost purpose-built for that, Lynda. Simply searching ahead should do, there will be no need to engage foes."
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Lynda

Eying the door, Lynda tilts her head before nodding in acceptance, walking up and opening the door carefully, poking her head out to check the area outside before stepping out and closing the door behind her, only a quiet "Stay here, then." directed toward the party.

She quickly takes in her surroundings, checking her equipment as she does.
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2010-11-06 at 07:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lynda:
    Exploring the area outside of the room reveals no immediate threats. The factory seems to be in poor condition. A lack of power means that the magical lighting has also faded, and only a soft glow is emitted from each of the numerous enchanted light crystals hanging from the ceiling. Other than the room you came from, and the central chamber (which you are in), there are seven other rooms, which each serve various tasks.

Fastforward:
    It has been two days since you have all been awakened. After breaking out of the entrapped room, and exploring for a little while, most of the facility has become available to you, at least to a limited extent. The back up generators have been turned on, restoring limited power to the rest of the facility. The once dim ceiling lights now have the factory fairly well lit. Some of the more advanced functions of the factory, such as creating warforged, still remain offline. The main power source of the factory seems to be missing. A giant, lopsided disc, which fits into a 20ft diameter, half-sphere hole in the middle of the central chamber, to be more specific.
    The central chamber itself is in the shape of a giant octogon, each face spanning 20ft in length, and 50ft from one side of the room to the other. Each of the shape's faces also has a 10ft wide door leading to a 20x20ft room.
    As for the function of each room, they are as follows:
    North: This room contrains almost nothing except for a large spiral stairway which leads upwards towards the surfaces. Attempts at opening the large hatch at the top (which probably leads to the surface) have proven fruitless. It is probable that power will need to be dedicated to the door in order to get it open. The stairway itself goes up about 40ft and is 5ft wide. The hatch is a large circular shape, 10ft in diameter.
    Northeast: The Soul Extractor is located in this room. This device is necessary in the creation of warforged. It essentially does exactly what it sounds like, taking the soul from a living being, then storing it inside a vat. The soul is then prepared for placement into the body of a warforged. It is quite similar to the process of wine fermentation.
    East: This is the forge, where the items of all the warforged created here are made. It also serves to construct various parts for new warforged and repair. Currently it may only be used to construct mundane items and parts.
    Southeast: Here lies the Constructor, where the parts made from the forge are assembled together to construct the body of a new warforged. It also has the capicity to repair warforged, if the correct parts are provided.
    South: Another spiral staircase is in this room, however, it goes down instead. All along the walkway are capsules within the wall, probably storage chambers of some sort. At the bottom of the stairway is a small maintenance path leading to the bottom of the pit in the middle of the central chamber. (If anyone wants to step into the chamber, let me know)
    Southwest: Here, is the Infusion Lab. Souls prepared from the Soul Extractor that are ready for it are bound to their new warforged body, made in the Constructor.
    West: The Energy Control room is where the factory's energy is controlled and managed. Magical interfaces map out where the stations energy is going and how much energy is left in the station.
    Northwest: This is the room you woke up in. Here is where the warforged from the Infusion Lab are kept until the soul adjusts to its new body. It is currently unoperational.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Keeper patiently waits while repairs are going on or does some light exploration once Lynda is back with the reports, mixed feelings stirring in his mind as he sees what is left of the complex. On the third day, he turns to Lynda. "Please come to the southern room with me, Lynda. I need your superior senses to compensate my own." Since Keeper chose to protect this group, he also treats them well and isn't afraid to reveal his weaknesses to them (like his barely working senses). He patiently waits for her response and heads into the southern room and there into the central chamber with or without her, depending on her answer.

Spoiler
    Show
    @everyone: In case any of the characters repair Keeper during the first two days, please tell me the amount of HP healed.

Total HP healed with the Belt of Repair on the second day: (6d8)[14]

Current maximum HP: 60
    Last edited by Ridai; 2010-11-13 at 04:59 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Following Lynda's summary of the layout of the factory, Torrent immediately moves toward the forge, falchion in hand. Over the next several hours he attempts to repair the damage done to his falchion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking ten for my Craft (Weaponsmithing) check to repair the falchion gives me a 16 versus the DC for a martial melee weapon (15). This will cost 15 gp, but I assume I can offset the cost with materials available in the room.

He ignores any interruptions that might occur during his repairs, but finally returns to the northwest room after he completes his work, sheathing his falchion and taking a seat against a wall.
    "If anyone else has a weapon that requires repairs or wishes to discuss escape from the building, simply ask. Otherwise, I will be sitting here until we are prepared to leave."
    HOMEBREW

12. - Top - End - #42

Torrent: You successfully manage to repair your weapon over the next two days.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Healbot time! Andrew's healing infusions over the two days (glad this one is moving again):

Day 1:
    Repair Light Damage: (1d8+5)[10](1d8+5)[7](1d8+5)[6](1d8+5)[9]
    Repair Moderate Damage:(2d8+7)[16](2d8+7)[11](2d8+7)[14]
    Repair Serious Damage:(3d8+7)[17](3d8+7)[22]
    Repair checks: (1d20+15)[29](1d20+15)[26](1d20+15)[31]

Day 2:
    Repair Light Damage: (1d8+5)[9](1d8+5)[11](1d8+5)[12](1d8+5)[11]
    Repair Moderate Damage:(2d8+7)[15](2d8+7)[15](2d8+7)[15](2d8+7)[16]
    Repair Serious Damage:(3d8+7)[25](3d8+7)[25](3d8+7)[16]
    Repair checks: (1d20+15)[32](1d20+15)[20](1d20+15)[25]

Something like 355 healing total. First infusions went to fix my eyes, after that repair all damaged systems, then fix damaged health. Priority to melee.

If that doesn't get the party to full, I don't know what will.

Andrew is in a good mood. Two days solid of work he understood had given him a more solid understanding of his new purpose, and following orders that had not come from an appointed superior gave him a vague idea of freedom, and he liked it. That, more than anything, surprised him.

As the second day comes to an end, he surveys his mostly repaired comrades and asks the question he's sure is uppermost in their minds. "Does anyone know how to exit this place?"
    Last edited by Grendus; 2010-11-18 at 02:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Lynda doesn't comment, accompanying Keeper down to the southern room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Repairs over the next 2 days
    (1d20+13)[14], (1d20+13)[27], (1d20+13)[23]
    (1d20+13)[27], (1d20+13)[26], (1d20+13)[21]

I'd like to apologize for the delay. School is piling up, but I should be clear in about a week.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Torrent snaps out of his trance at Andrew's comment.

"Lynda described a staircase with a hatch. The hatch was apparently magnetically sealed. I suspect we need to change the priorities of the generator in the power room to open it, though how to do it escapes me. I do not work well with machinery except fellow warforged."

Until someone presents another idea, his eyes dim. He makes no acknowledgement of his own repairs or the actions of his allies.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2010-11-18 at 10:23 PM.
    HOMEBREW

16. - Top - End - #46

PaladinGuy

"I will go inspect the generator room then. Perhaps we can improvise a new generator, or find some way to reroute auxiliary power to the door." Andrew heads into the generator room and begins inspecting the half-spherical hole for any possible repairs that can be made.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    For the record, Keeper requests exactly 100 HP of repairs. He's back at his full 80 HP now.

As far as I can tell, Torrent needs 165 HP worth of repairs to fully recover. Andrew needs 100 HP, Lynda needs 25 HP, Keylin needs 80 HP.
    your total healing is 445 just from magical. Ill assume that at least some nonmagical repairs were made, and just say everyones back at full for simplicity.

Andrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You make your way to the energy control (west) room. In it you find a raised blank, flat panel in the middle of the room facing a white, blank, flat wall. Touching the panel animates numerous lights around it, each of which interacts with your touch. They appear to form all sorts of devices, buttons, levers, knobs, etc. with each labeled according to its function. There is one button labeled, "Display." Once pressed, numerous maps of the facility are displayed upon the wall (think something like a projector), and power output to the each of the rooms is also shown. Currently, almost all of the power is being directed towards lighting. The generator is running at about 5% of full capacity, and may continue this course for another 18 days. Increasing power output above 50% will stress the generator, and may cause it the overload (keep in mind this is NOT the main generator, just an aged back up). Opening the magnetic door will require about 52% of the generators total power, which would bring it down to 38%.
    On the facility map, you also notice that there are red indicators pointing towards the center of the facility, more specifically that the "kinetic key" is missing, and should be replaced immediately. It appears to be something akin to a large, coin-shaped object. Given the dimensions, it seems like it would be able to fit into the half-spherical pit, and be able to spin.
    Is there anything else you wanted to do in here?

Lynda & Keeper:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You enter the south room. All along the way down are empty compartments. You remember that warforged used to be in each of these units, but obviously, they are gone now. Going down the maintenance hall into the chamber is uneventful, save for the numerous arrows all pointing up near the door to the chamber. The chamber itself is extremely smooth and even. There seems to be a ramp on the other side of the chamber which has an opening on its bottom. The opening is not large enough for much of anything to fit in.
    Last edited by Psilulz; 2010-11-19 at 10:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

"Nothing here," Keeper rumbles in his hoarse voice. "Thank you for the help, Lynda." The adamantine warforged heads back up to the others. "I found nothing. I think it's time to leave."

19. - Top - End - #49

PaladinGuy

Andrew first begins to search the computer systems, in the hopes of finding more references to the 'kinetic key', and hopefully instructions for installation or perhaps a help file entry on exactly how dangerous pushing the backup generator 2% over it's maximum stable output is.

If he finds any good leads, he will go and inspect them, otherwise he will report his findings to the rest of the group and attempt to enlist them in the search for he kinetic key.

20. - Top - End - #50

Andrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Searching for the term, "kinectic key" proves fruitful, bringing up a long description of the item and its function. It is simply a large, 9ft diameter slab of adamantium which is slightly unbalanced, weight favoring one side of the disc. The function of the disc is accomplished simply by bringing it into the semisphere. Once inside, power should be directed towards the pit, which will activate the upper part, (making a sealed off sphere, and then turning on the gravity suspension field. Inside the sphere is a zero-gravity system, allowing the disc to spin indefinitely. Collectors inside the sphere gather up heat from the air and wind.

Basically, the entire system is essentially a perpetual motion device, generating energy to power the facility, and beyond.

Checking for any kinectic keys within the facility, however, proves unsuccessful. There were not any back ups, as they were needed to start up other facilites.

Is there anything else you wish to check the system for?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Keeper simply acknowledges that this complex has been given up with a nod. In his mind, there is no need for discussion on this matter, as what is left to do should be clear, and he moves towards the exit.

22. - Top - End - #52

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Presuming there's enough adamantine here, or presuming that we could improvise one out of a more mundane material, what would be the craft dc on a kinetic key? While we're at it, what material was the dead warforged made of? If he had adamantine body, might be able to cannibalize enough material to make another key.

Andrew searches for, but doesn't activate, any systems that would allow him to route all power to the door. While he's at it, he searches for any systems that would allow him to charge some kind of battery to safely bring the system up to high charge for long enough to open the door.

23. - Top - End - #53

Andrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attempting to recreate a key is certainly possible, although extremely difficult. There is no adamantine anywhere to be found in the facility. The salvaged warforged has already been used up, but didn't have any adamantine on it anyways. There are quite a few scraps lying around and you might be able to make a non-adamantine version, although you are not sure whether or not it would work. Even if using a non-adamantine substitute did function, it would be extremely difficult to craft. You would have to precisely balance the weight in the correct ratios across the entire object. It would be much easier to find one if you wish to reactivate this facility.
    And pushing the generator 2% over shouldn't be very dangerous.
    It is fairly easy to find the systems that reroute power.
    If you have some kind of battery, that would work just fine.

24. - Top - End - #54

PaladinGuy

Finishing his research, Andrew returns to the others.

"I have both positive and negative news," he reports. "The station is still functional, however it is badly damaged. The kinetic key, a carefully crafted adamantine fuel cell of sorts, has been removed. How long ago is unknown." Andrew sits down, picking up a piece of crumbling rubble and idly tapping it against the larger slab he's sitting on, shaping it in the vague form of a gallbladder. "Without the key, the station cannot safely generate the power to open the door."

He drops the gallbladder-rock, which shatters against the floor, and begins ticking the options off on his fingers. "There are a few things we can try. First, the kinetic key is non-magical. It is possible that a substitute key could be constructed from more mundane material - likely steel or bronze. The key must be perfectly balanced though, and even with our combined skill it would be difficult. A poorly crafted key would not work, or could even destroy the control room."

He pauses to allow his comrades to consider the option before continuing. "I could also overload the auxiliary generator to get the required power. If we powered down the rest of the station, the risk would be minimal. However, if the auxiliary generator fails we will be completely without power."

He pauses again, then continues. "It is possible the key is still here somewhere. Repairing a damaged key would be easier than building a new one, and adamantine is an ideal material. We could attempt a detailed search. However, if the key is not here we waste valuable time, the auxiliary generator is old and will likely fail in a few weeks."

He pauses for the final time, then says, "Of course, it's also possible that the door could be broken, or that there is some other route out of the facility."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

From a distance, grumbling voice can be heard. "Overload. This place is meaningless to us."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Torrent appears briefly deep in thought. "I agree. The best way out is to overload the generator. If we had found anything worth saving, I would favor other options, but it appears escape is our only priority here."
    HOMEBREW

27. - Top - End - #57

(Fastforwarding to opening the door)

It is quite simple to redirect the stations energy output to the door. The lights go out, all though the generator probably still has some energy left in it. You all make your way up to the door. Entering the room is quite an experience, especially considering that the way up was so dark. The room is flooded with light. The morning sun is visible in the distant horizon, behind a large mountain range. It is exceptionally bright, and it is difficult to see anything beyond where the door once stood (it has shifted to the side a bit). Stepping outside makes the lighting a bit more tolerable.

Stepping outside of the door you enter a quite shallow cave. You suspect that the door was disguise, or that the previous residents of the cave did not care that it was there. Signs of a small fire are evident. No one else is in the cave, however, and it appears to have been there for quite some time.

After exiting the cave you overlook a steep drop as you stand on top of a cliff. It is about 200 feet to the bottom. After that, there is nothing but an open, barren, sandy landscape. It goes on for quite some time. The entire area is enclosed by cliffs in a circular shape. All of this is to the northwest- west of the cave. North and west there is extremely thick jungle (it encircles the barren staying on the cliffs; there is no visible life within the desert area). South and east, there are open fields, covered with tall grass, and a light amount of trees. It is not difficult to spot various herds of wildlife gathering along a river for water.

You can spot what seems to be a worn path, leading past the cave into the jungle. It comes from the east, although it is difficult to spot the trail for very long from this position, as the tall grass blocks your view.
    Last edited by Psilulz; 2010-11-25 at 08:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Keeper

The skeletal Warforged is eager to leave the complex and thus most things associated with his creators behind. He slowly looks at the choices they have. "Prefer not going into the jungle. Hard to maneuver, low visibility, high chance of ambushes, no apparent priority to justify the risk." He knows they have literally no goal, but focuses on their situation at hand. Everything else might sort itself out with time. An attitude that might be an advantage of his unique mental makeup.

29. - Top - End - #59

PaladinGuy

Andrew looks at the plains, then at the jungle. "Logic dictates that for there to be a path, there must have been society. Repairs will not last forever, rust and rot will eventually necessitate replacement parts, which were not found in the ruins." He draws his bow, facing the jungle. "As well, climbing down the cliff could be hazardous, and I am not sure if infusions can augment the climbing ability of the less combat oriented among us, myself included. I calculate the risk as being about equal, with greater reward for following signs of civilization. As with before, however, I will follow the decision of the majority of the group."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Torrent nods. "As it stands, we have no destination. Simply marching off in whatever direction seems least likely to harm us is thinking in the short term, and is foolhardy. I agree with Andrew, we should be moving toward the closest sign of civilization, which is clearly the trail."
    HOMEBREW