New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Also, I don't understand how Limit Abilities work. How and when do you get one? I understand that Limit Breaks might occur when getting a critical hit while in critical health, or spending Destiny if you have the Limit Breaker ability, but I can't find how Limit Abilities become availiable, if that availiability is permanent or not, etc.

Perhaps somebody can indicate me where is this explained in the book.
    Last edited by clockwise; 2012-12-19 at 10:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Barbarian in the Playground

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is simple: there is no mention at all about when you gain limit abilities. That could have been fixed in a later version, I haven't checked the current one yet.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by clockwise View Post
    Also, I don't understand how Limit Abilities work. How and when do you get one? I understand that Limit Breaks might occur when getting a critical hit while in critical health, or spending Destiny if you have the Limit Breaker ability, but I can't find how Limit Abilities become availiable, if that availiability is permanent or not, etc.

Perhaps somebody can indicate me where is this explained in the book.
    p. 164 explains it. The way I understand it, they can be given as the GM sees fit. It also includes an idea as to what levels are best to give them out.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Got it, thanks. It goes smoothly with the plot-heavy FF mechanics.

I'm still open to opinions and suggestions for implementing FFd6 to emulate FFT. We're going to implement 0-cost class change (no Destiny involved) and rely only on what makes sense plotwise, because why not.
    Last edited by clockwise; 2012-12-20 at 07:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Anyone still playing this? I've just read through the pdf and I'd love to participate in a pbp game.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Pixie in the Playground

i am actually. but coming up with a bestiary is hard

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beta Ray Thor View Post
    Anyone still playing this? I've just read through the pdf and I'd love to participate in a pbp game.
    I'd be very interested too! I'd have already launched/asked for a game if a bestiary was out already.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

8. - Top - End - #968
    Bugbear in the Playground

The official bestiary is slowly in the works; we're still testing monsters against vastly different parties at different levels of play. Once we're satisfied all the numbers are right (currently, they're not) we'll start converting the old bestiary to the new.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Are job abilities defined as "Special" to be bought or are they free? I thought that they should be bought after seeing the Samurai Special skill, but the Gambler special skills are negative aspects of the job.

10. - Top - End - #970

Abilities marked 'Special' are automatically obtained WHILE you're a member of that job class, for good or for ill. Apologies - that seems to have vanished from the explanation at the start of the Job section.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Abilities marked 'Special' are automatically obtained WHILE you're a member of that job class, for good or for ill. Apologies - that seems to have vanished from the explanation at the start of the Job section.
    No prob. Got it.

What about Innate skills then? I thought that you kept them for as long as you were a member of a given job. How do they work then? If you change jobs, then you get them as a freebie forever?
    Last edited by clockwise; 2013-01-06 at 11:23 AM.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey there. As somebody who's played and GM'd the Returner Games d100 game, it's really refreshing to see this system. It's easier on the players, the gm, and it doesn't bog down the session with maths. I just really wanted to put in my two cents.

I'm still not sure how Job Changes work, there doesnt seem to be a clear definition on it. I'm not sure if I missed it, though.

Are there ever going to be more classes? My only real complaint about this system is that it doesn't have as many classes or options as the d100 version.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

The book is quite disorganized, so it can be a bit confusing.

Job Changes: You can change your job by spending 3 destiny points, as indicated in the Destiny section of the book, or one if you take the Shared Ability Onion Knight. Also, there's an alternative rule for adapting one of the early FF games, as indicated in the chapter Worlds (I think it was a variant rule for FF IV) that suggests job changing for just one point, as with the Onion Knight Shared Ability.

I have NO idea of how does this interact with Character Level.

Also, I think there won't be more classes, as the Job Change system is there to allow more versatile character.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Pixie in the Playground

Are you supposed to re-work your health, mana, ACC, and AVD when you job change?

15. - Top - End - #975
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Vicedets View Post
    Are you supposed to re-work your health, mana, ACC, and AVD when you job change?
    From what I gather, yes.

Probably that's the reason why you don't get to roll any element related to advancement.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey Dust,

I have a quick question for you if you have the time.

Why does the Geomancers Lava Defensive ability seem like an offensive spell?

Shining Air (Defensive): Clouds of heat and steam fill the
    area, adding atmospheric conditions that creatures native to
    the area have never before experienced. All enemies
    participating in combat no longer have an Immunity or
    Resistance to Fire damage. This effect lasts until the
    remainder of combat

Removing enemy resistances seems pretty offensive IMO, and honestly kicks a lot of ass if you have Home Terrain [Lava] and Skyforged combined with an elemental enhance [Fire] property on your weapon. You would only have to use Skyforgd when aquiring a new weapon. If you have access to elemental stones you could potentially do this easily enough and increase your weapon strikes an additional 2 steps without having to worry about a Geo crit, going 3 total for the rest of combat. Later when you gain access to the Elemental Field [Fire] property as well you make sure you are using a reach weapon. Might as well get some Elemental Field [Fire] armor as well and have lava fields all day.

The thing is you can only do this with fire, so I wonder if the Lava defensive ability is an oversight. If not, that's awesome!
    Last edited by awahl; 2013-01-18 at 02:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Pixie in the Playground

Re: job changes and character level:

What basically happens is that at any point you can spend three DP to change your job from one class to another. When that happens, the following occurs:

-You recalculate your HP/MP/AVD/ACC using the new job's bonuses and any bonuses you might have from abilities (most notably Unbreakable Form).

-You keep any WEAPON proficiencies you may have had from your old job, and pick up any your new job might have. You only have the ARMOR proficiencies from your current job, however (no monks in fullplate for you).

-You lose the Innate Ability of your old class and gain the Innate Ability of your new class.

-You retain all of your other spells and skills, though changing classes might make them harder to use - either because you don't have the MP to spam Blizzaga like you used to, or because you're not quite as accurate with that broadsword, or whatever.

-On leveling up in your new class, you get an ability (if it's a level that you normally get an ability at) from that class. Ditto spells, using your entire character level to determine what tier of spells you can learn. For example, my Dragoon switched to Time Mage at level 3, leveled up to level 4, and grabbed Mind over Matter and Quick.

18. - Top - End - #978

Quote Originally Posted by awahl View Post
    Why does the Geomancers Lava Defensive ability seem like an offensive spell?
    There's not an awful lot that's defensive 'bout fire. No molten shields here, and definitely not an oversight.

Are there ever going to be more classes? My only real complaint about this system is that it doesn't have as many classes or options as the d100 version.
    Not a chance. I'd rather expand on existing classes with more options.
    Last edited by Dust; 2013-01-19 at 11:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Pixie in the Playground

http://pastebin.com/H9aghyke
    Possible fix for Gambler's Slots ability?

20. - Top - End - #980

The win/loss math on that is much closer to what I'm looking for. Very possible that exact Gambler fix might be the best possible solution. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

21. - Top - End - #981
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm running a game and my party hit level 4. They got to a boss fight, and between Mad Rush, Shiva, Backstab property, and a whole list of other abilities, dealt around 550 damage within two turns, and killed it on the third.

I have a group of six players, and there was only boss, but so far in my game, one boss has been able to take them, so the player/monster ratio was fine. I want the party to win, but I want there to be a challenge. Is there any other way to make the boss fights harder other than adding a second boss? I looked at it like I would an actual FF game, where it'd only be three or four characters on the field at once vs a boss, so there'd be three or four actions for every boss action compared to where I'm at now, which is six (12 with my warrior's Mad Rush) vs 1.

Is there a good ratio for monsters vs players and bosses vs players? Or am I just not building my bosses strong enough?
    Last edited by Vicedets; 2013-01-27 at 04:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982

The easiest way to tweak most tabletop RPG enemies is to increase or decrease their hp total. Give the boss four times more hp and he'll last four times as long.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

23. - Top - End - #983
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I was working on a Final Fantasy Tactics-inspired system. Then I saw this, and now I'm working on homebrew.

I do have a couple questions, though:

Do you feel that the system breaks down past 15th level, or would it be possible to keep going on upwards indefinitely?

Why not just let weapons use whatever the character's primary stat is, and make the abilities more important than the type?

How would you do Calculators?

EDIT:

Also, how would you do Draw, as in the FFVIII ability? I'm kicking around a "everyone's going to SCHOOL, roll up some SeeDy folk" as a one-off to get people into the system.
    Last edited by Flayerman; 2013-01-28 at 02:58 AM.
    Look! Under the earth! It's a worm! It's a drill machine! No! It's FLAYERMAN!

Faster than a speeding arrow! More powerful than a bullrushing fighter! Able to mind blast large parties in a single round!

Ages of Alcyon: An Original Campaign Setting

24. - Top - End - #984
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flayerman View Post
    So I was working on a Final Fantasy Tactics-inspired system. Then I saw this, and now I'm working on homebrew.

I do have a couple questions, though:

Do you feel that the system breaks down past 15th level, or would it be possible to keep going on upwards indefinitely?

Why not just let weapons use whatever the character's primary stat is, and make the abilities more important than the type?

How would you do Calculators?

EDIT:

Also, how would you do Draw, as in the FFVIII ability? I'm kicking around a "everyone's going to SCHOOL, roll up some SeeDy folk" as a one-off to get people into the system.
    The 15-level thing is why I'm using and doing some house-ruling to the 30-level version. The game I'm running now is kindof a test for some things like the addition of split-damage for lower-level spells (which, so far, has not proven unbalanced), a more standard Initiative, and a few other tweaks here and there.

Draw would be simply an extension, perhaps, of the 'Refine Items' from the Engineer's skill of the same name; just have them bear their normal names, and to Draw from a location is free (but limited by the magic in the location), but to Draw from an enemy requires say, an opposed SPR check (at least in the 30-level system).

Calculators have a benefit here that there's already a multiplier in place in the formulae; unfortunately, FFT is one of the few FF games I haven't played and, as such, I'm not familiar with them. Their FF wiki doesn't really tell me what their abilities do; does the stuff like '3' and such mean 'Other abilities they have mastered only target Levels divisible by 3'? If so, then it's simply a matter of giving them some spell access as an Innate ability, then have various others tie into Level, Gil, and such.
    Last edited by elmerg; 2013-01-29 at 12:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #985

I'm running a game and my party hit level 4. They got to a boss fight, and between Mad Rush, Shiva, Backstab property, and a whole list of other abilities, dealt around 550 damage within two turns, and killed it on the third.

Is there a good ratio for monsters vs players and bosses vs players? Or am I just not building my bosses strong enough?
    The hit point totals for bosses are currently too low in that release. We played it overly safe to ensure that low-op groups wouldn't spend too long slogging through battles that'd ultimately kick the crap out of them, and now medium-optimized groups (or just six-person teams with Mad Rush and other party-wide buffing effects) have no issue destroying at-level bosses if you go by the stats in the book.

Until I push out another official update use whatever HP calculation works for your group. You know their capabilities much better than I do.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Pixie in the Playground

Slightly unrelated, Dust. The 30-level version, there seems to be a typo in the armor section for Light Armor in the ARM/MARM progression. The previous version of the 30-level one has a slightly different one, which lines up with the version in the 15-level copy. Is the intent for that chart to be the same as the 15-level version?

27. - Top - End - #987
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    The hit point totals for bosses are currently too low in that release. We played it overly safe to ensure that low-op groups wouldn't spend too long slogging through battles that'd ultimately kick the crap out of them, and now medium-optimized groups (or just six-person teams with Mad Rush and other party-wide buffing effects) have no issue destroying at-level bosses if you go by the stats in the book.

Until I push out another official update use whatever HP calculation works for your group. You know their capabilities much better than I do.
    Thanks, Dust. :)

28. - Top - End - #988
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I just wanted to pop in and say I am really enjoying this system. Thank you for all of the hard work you have put into this. :)

29. - Top - End - #989
    Pixie in the Playground

I've currently been a part of a game that has been using the FFd6 max level 15 rules (named FFd6_v1.3). After liking the system quite a bit, I decided to host my own game with a few friends.
    However, when searching for the most updated rules, I also found a version that goes up to level 30 and has quite a few changes to the character system.

Which rule set is the most recent? I might be combining the two in order to fix some things that seem odd (Black Mages in 1.3 using PWR for black magic means they also do great melee damage) but I was wondering what the most recent version was.
    Last edited by azurelao; 2013-02-02 at 03:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Barbarian in the Playground

1.3 is the current version. The 30 level version was from awhile back.