New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1543
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Apparently there's a grid based system on page 216; I guess that suffices. I definitely prefer tactical combats where spacing matters.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Another question:

Say I use a Huge weapon via the Time Mage's Telekinesis as an Improbable weapon. Does it retain its special Knockback property from being a Huge weapon?

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Another question:

Say I use a Huge weapon via the Time Mage's Telekinesis as an Improbable weapon. Does it retain its special Knockback property from being a Huge weapon?
    Well, since it requires you to be able to lift it via Force, and the effects are at GM discretion, I think it's up to the GM to decide what effects it would have. In my case, yeah, I would probably let it retain the knockback feature.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx MacGyver View Post
    Well, since it requires you to be able to lift it via Force, and the effects are at GM discretion, I think it's up to the GM to decide what effects it would have. In my case, yeah, I would probably let it retain the knockback feature.
    Yeah, lifting it via a Force check is about guaranteed given my modifier. That said, there isn't anything in the rules that says its properties change when used as an Improbable weapon, though Improbable weapons can have their own properties.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Weapon Systems for the Special Vehicle ability.

Are all, or some variables to determine its damage keyed to the firer? So we have a commoner operating them with a Dex of 3 and a level of 1, while I have a character with a Dex of 10 and a level of 10. Would the Weapon System use both the commoner's Dex and level for a damage output of 3 or would it use the commoner's Dex and my level for a damage output of 15?

The latter seems to make more sense in that the attack power is a function of the operator's accuracy and the strength of the weapon system which scales with the owner, but the former, using the operator's Dex and level appears to be the default in the absence of more detailed rules.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Orc in the Playground

I just want to say this is awesome and has made me very happy. I'm not quite halfway through the PDF but it's very, very well made and I'm very impressed. I've already started to try and get a group together to play this.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ettin in the Playground

Questions about the Entertainer's Mime job ability:

1. Does it also duplicate any bonuses/enhancements applied to a Mimed attack? For example, the Dark Knight's Darkside ability?
    2. Does it use the same attribute type used for a Mimed attack, or does the Entertainer use his normal attribute type? For example, if a Warrior used STR to make an attack the Entertainer Mimed, does the Entertainer use STR or DEX if he has a Concealed weapon?

So far it seems that you strictly only duplicate the action, so any peripheral buffs or benefits would not likewise be duplicated, though you would use your normal attribute.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Pixie in the Playground

Dust - I would normally use paragraphs to thank you on how awesome a system this is, because this thread is is the only reason I even signed up here, but it seems everyone else already has. Regardless, the full gratitude is there.

Thread of Fate - I really like that Excel sheet you made. So much so, I've been building upon it, and included a full spell compendium that's filter ready. I plan to post what I have in a bit to see if it helps or not.

Surrealistik-I'm pretty sure the mime attack duplicates only the base attack, and for the second, I'm going to make a guess and say that they are copying exactly what and how the first character was attacking.
    Last edited by IronJawbone; 2013-05-17 at 01:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IronJawbone View Post
    Thread of Fate - I really like that Excel sheet you made. So much so, I've been building upon it, and included a full spell compendium that's filter ready. I plan to post what I have in a bit to see if it helps or not.
    I would absolutely love to see it! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

As for Mime, the rules state that you repeat the last action, which means you use whatever ability was used. In the case of Darkside, you would both get the bonus damage and suffer the HP reduction. The Mime ability also states that the Entertainer uses their stats. Since using Darkside means making an attack, presumably the Entertainer would use her weapon stats and properties - such as Concealed, and thus using DEX for damage calculations.
    We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Former BleachITP player of the one and only Minuet.

Homebrew!
    The Freerunner, based on everyone's favorite parkour girl Faith Connors.
    The White Clad - Custom Base Class, based on the Assassin's Creed series, now with a bonus Prestige class - The Guildmaster.
    Star Wars Saga Edition Force Power Revamp, complete with new skill calculations and a shiny graph.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThreadOfFate View Post
    As for Mime, the rules state that you repeat the last action, which means you use whatever ability was used. In the case of Darkside, you would both get the bonus damage and suffer the HP reduction. The Mime ability also states that the Entertainer uses their stats. Since using Darkside means making an attack, presumably the Entertainer would use her weapon stats and properties - such as Concealed, and thus using DEX for damage calculations.
    It's unclear whether 'the action' in this case is simply the basic nature of the action (an attack, spell, job ability, etc), or copies that action exactly (including any buffs, parameters or modifiers like Darkside) except where noted (like the Entertainer using his own abilities).

Also, while it's apparent that the Entertainer uses his own stats, what's not clear is what stat type is actually used. If the action is merely copied, and not all the exact particulars/parameters of that action, then the Entertainer's DEX would be used, otherwise STR would be used.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's unclear whether 'the action' in this case is simply the basic nature of the action (an attack, spell, job ability, etc), or copies that action exactly (including any buffs, parameters or modifiers like Darkside) except where noted (like the Entertainer using his own abilities).

Also, while it's apparent that the Entertainer uses his own stats, what's not clear is what stat type is actually used. If the action is merely copied, and not all the exact particulars/parameters of that action, then the Entertainer's DEX would be used, otherwise STR would be used.
    Oh, I see what you mean. In that case...

I'm going by the use of the word "action" in the Mime description as the "action" from Standard Action, Slow Action, Instant Action, and so on.

In this case, Darkside declaration is an Instant action, and then your next attack gains the benefits. Since those are two actions, the Darkside modifier would not apply, as it was not the last action taken - the attack was. Unless, of course, the use of Darkside was the last action taken by the character. Since you get unlimited Instant actions that can be used as many times as you want as many times per round, so there's no reason to honestly -not- spend an action to activate Darkside at the end of your turn (unless you don't want the benefits).

So, you couldn't use Mime to get Darkside's benefit and attack in the same round, unless you had Haste or some other equivalent active. Sorry, I was misunderstanding the Darkside ability in my first reply. My apologies, sir or perhaps madam.

Doing something like a Geotrance, however, can have an attack as part of the activation, so if all a character did was start a Geotrance, the Entertainer could perform a Geotrance as a standard action on his turn, if he goes next. Given that when you do a Geotrance, you pick which one, the Entertainer could pick which Geotrance to do.

As for the stats issue: since the action itself is copied, and not the results or specifics (you could miss with an attack, for instance, since you don't use the Warrior's ACC rating), I would say that the Entertainer does whatever the action is as if he is performing it, with all the relevant equipment changes and stuff that it implies - i.e. using Jump with a Ranged weapon, or using DEX if Mime-ing a Warrior's attack if the Entertainer has a Concealed weapon. It makes sense to me.
    Last edited by ThreadOfFate; 2013-05-17 at 09:23 PM.

Homebrew!
    The White Clad - Custom Base Class, based on the Assassin's Creed series, now with a bonus Prestige class - The Guildmaster.
    Star Wars Saga Edition Force Power Revamp, complete with new skill calculations and a shiny graph.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, so if duplicating the attack, he'd merely duplicate the action of the attack, none of the modifiers or other particulars, making it with his DEX rather than STR.

This is pretty ambiguous though, and I can see a DM ruling either way, so it probably should be earmarked for refinement and clarification.

Also SOS-Autolife; does this successfully both activate and trigger, reviving you at 1 HP when someone reduces you to 0 HP with a damage source while you're above 25%? The point of ambiguity is that Autolife only triggers when you've been reduced to 0 while under its effects. However, the order of resolution is that you take the damage, SOS-Autolife triggers subjecting you to Autolife after the fact, but by then you're already at 0 HP, and you haven't actually been 'reduced' to 0 HP while it's active and thus Autolife can't trigger to revive you; you were reduced to 0 HP before it was active.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also SOS-Autolife; does this successfully both activate and trigger, reviving you at 1 HP when someone reduces you to 0 HP with a damage source while you're above 25%? The point of ambiguity is that Autolife only triggers when you've been reduced to 0 while under its effects. However, the order of resolution is that you take the damage, SOS-Autolife triggers subjecting you to Autolife after the fact, but by then you're already at 0 HP, and you haven't actually been 'reduced' to 0 HP while it's active and thus Autolife can't trigger to revive you; you were reduced to 0 HP before it was active.
    Again, no clear ruling on this. I rule that if you have SOS-Auto Life and you get KOd from any HP, it counts for you. I've been in a game where the DM ruled that if something brings you from >25% to <=0%, it doesn't apply. It's really up to you, and how nice you want to be.

Homebrew!

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Dear GMs,

So I have been DMing a campaign with these rules as a baseline for about 5-6 months, we have taken two separate groups up to level 7. I'm hear to say, that the GM does hold a lot of responsibility to "fill in the cracks" in this system. There are wordings that can take several logical paths to mean very different things. We have been encouraged to approach these rules from a "beta perspective", which requires a bit of flexibility.

I have decided to take these rules as a great base, and have been building and developing off of it. Trying to retune the balance of things to suit the type of campaign we are running. Our sessions never seem to get more than a couple fights in, and thus our mages are destroying things. Seriously, Time Mage is awesome. So I've been adding and creating new systems to certain melee classes to make them more appealing to my fighter player types.

I've added a in combat "Tinkering" system for Engineers, which allows them to craft a few different types of gadgets that rely on his systems skill. Turrets, Repulsar Fields, and Accelerator Belts are just a few of things that have been successfully tested so far. I know this is a large step away from the purist feel of the FF series, but for my story and character make up it makes perfect sense.

Love the game. Use it for what you can get out of it. Be creative! Maybe don't go as far as I am with the creativity thing though, unless you are into it. . . But. . . You are the GM. Be the balance, and bring the fun.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's everyone's thoughts on the Thief getting 22 skill points along with the Geomancer, Ninja, Red Mage, Time Mage, and White Mage? I feel like the Thief and maybe the Ninja should be a bit more skilled than at least the mages. Maybe it's just me.

This is looking at the Engineer, who rightfully has 26 skill points, and the Entertainer and Gambler, both of whom have 24. I feel like the Thief and possibly the Ninja could fit into the 24 category without a problem.

Minor nitpick. Most of the other stuff I have to say about the system has been pointed out before or I've already said.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-05-18 at 09:33 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on the Thief getting 22 skill points along with the Geomancer, Ninja, Red Mage, Time Mage, and White Mage? I feel like the Thief and maybe the Ninja should be a bit more skilled than at least the mages. Maybe it's just me.
    Sounds fair to me, given the mutable role of Thieves in any party.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnnar
    I've added a in combat "Tinkering" system for Engineers, which allows them to craft a few different types of gadgets that rely on his systems skill. Turrets, Repulsar Fields, and Accelerator Belts are just a few of things that have been successfully tested so far. I know this is a large step away from the purist feel of the FF series, but for my story and character make up it makes perfect sense.
    I'd like to see the details for this. My engineer might enjoy this kind of system.

Homebrew!

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ettin in the Playground

Put together a bunch of Dark Knight job abilities because I've always loved that class' flavour.

Also revised Darkside to have more sensible scaling.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...8OGvrWCn4/edit

This is a fairly rough draft and I may add minimum levels as a prerequisite to certain Job Abilities.

Recharge clauses recharge/replenish 1 use of the associated Job Ability whenever their stated conditions are triggered.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Bugbear in the Playground

Put together a bunch of Dark Knight job abilities because I've always loved that class' flavour.
    I really like a lot of these. Deathless Hatred seems perhaps a bit too good though, as does Clad in the Dark and well.. a few others, but you said this is a rough draft so I shouldn't be nitpicking over balance.

Conceptually I like most of them, though I don't like instant black sky being hidden behind Minion (personally I think black sky should probably be instant once per combat simply as a default, the three turn activation of the whole combo is just too cumbersome from my experience). Black Fang seems like it might be problematic insofar as making regular Darkside obsolete against enemies who are vulnerable to instant death. I really like the mechanics of Blightstrike though, I've been looking into ways to amp up the necromantic aspects of the class in my own game too (though my idea was a limit skill to function as an arise that brings back the original creature intact).

I'm not sure having so many pre-requisite and upgrade sub-abilities (like blightbringer) is such a good idea though. With only 9 abilities per character at max level it seems like it'd be really hard to get much breadth with the system set up that way. I mean, it's hard as is to diversify with such a limited ability pool (I've even been consider having my next session be a rescaled level 20 or 30 game).

Also revised Darkside to have more sensible scaling.
    This is something I'd really like to see dealt with on a broader scale too. +damage step abilities seem in general seem way too level sensitive. I get that can't be helped to a degree, but I think it's too far one way right now. They're obscenely strong for the first couple levels and almost negligible at endgame.

This is looking at the Engineer, who rightfully has 26 skill points, and the Entertainer and Gambler, both of whom have 24. I feel like the Thief and possibly the Ninja could fit into the 24 category without a problem.
    Personally I always thought it was kind of weird that thieves weren't in the 24 point category. They're fairly skill heavy in terms of what they want and in most traditional games thieves tend to be a more 'skilly' class.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnnar View Post
    I second wanting to hear more about this. The engineer class as a base does feel pretty empty in combat and well.. not very engineery. Even Clockwork Tools is essentially just a basic attack modifier.
    Last edited by squiggit; 2013-05-18 at 01:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ettin in the Playground

Black Fang is a supplement to Darkside; you need to use Darkside first, including paying its costs in order to use Black Fang at all. Deathless Hatred could be limited to 1 / Session.

Black Fang, Clad in Darkness, and in general the more powerful Job abilities that are too strong early, but are more acceptable later on are both probably going to have minimum level requirements to take.

Agree that Black Sky should be revised so that you can use it once per combat as an Instant action, or in place of moving at least, or use it at Instant speed at the cost of HP.

In terms of prerequisites, the ability chains are only ever 1 prerequisite deep, so I don't think it's too problematic, even with only 9 abilities.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been drawn to the system by a certain Redwolf, and I must say that I'm impressed. I haven't paid quite enough time to start noticing the idiosyncracies of balance, but it looks pretty good.
    One of the things I like best is the freedom of the system. Races provide flavor but not stats, so a Seeq with tons of charisma or a Moogle with a greatsword are both perfectly viable despite the fact that the games usually goes against that sort of thing. And things like that.
    One thing I did notice though is on page 76: The Samurai's Ability is called Warding Circle, but its description calls it Ancient Circle. Is this referring to a category of some kind or is it a typo?
    Anyway, really like the system, probably going with a Blue or Red Mage or Dragoon for my first character. Thanks for all the effort you clearly put into this.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn, shields are OP. You get so much for so little: T2 enchantments at 150 gold vs 450 for T2 armour? T7 enchants for 65,000 vs 175,000 for armour? Wow.

Granted, they have less ARM, M.ARM, but there's no way this massive reduction in cost is justified, especially when it's an additional slot to derive enchantment benefits from, and there's literally no downside (aside from preventing a dual wield).

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

The Seal and Blind statuses from Bolt and Fire Breath need to not last basically forever as at-will powers without any real costs; they should be 1-2 round deals at most, or at least allow the target to use their move or even a standard to make an opposed check to end them.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Is there a list if errata to be released thus far?

24. - Top - End - #1224

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx MacGyver View Post
    Is there a list if errata to be released thus far?
    As far as I know there is no errata. There have been some rule clarifications, but it's been two months ish since we've had any of those.

Black Fang is a supplement to Darkside; you need to use Darkside first, including paying its costs in order to use Black Fang at all. Deathless Hatred could be limited to 1 / Session.
    Yeah somehow I derped out and missed the Darkseid requirement on black fang.

Once per full rest is pretty close to once per session though, and I know I've seen them used interchangeably a couple of times. If there was any change I'd make it'd probably be to take away the berserk and add some fluffy comment about not being able to run away or disengage or something.

In terms of prerequisites, the ability chains are only ever 1 prerequisite deep, so I don't think it's too problematic, even with only 9 abilities.
    A lot of them are strong enough and stand out enough for me to agree. I suppose I should be more specific and say that it's just Blightbringer that bothers me. Making the baseline a standard action would probably be too good, but the way blightbringer just improves that one skill feels off to me and almost like an ability tax.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    As far as I know there is no errata. There have been some rule clarifications, but it's been two months ish since we've had any of those.
    This makes me think that maybe we can compile a list of the things we've talked about into one big post for Dust, separated into categories based on chapter or subject.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Dwarf in the Playground

This makes me think that maybe we can compile a list of the things we've talked about into one big post for Dust, separated into categories based on chapter or subject.
    With responses from Dust? Or just questions/issues raised that have yet to get answers/clarification?

Homebrew!

27. - Top - End - #1227

28. - Top - End - #1228

I think check ends could potentially have the opposite effect: It's very plausible for a high end dark knight type character to have a force high enough that a thief based enemy (or any low res/pwr styled character or enemy) would never be able to outroll them.

As said before, I like your darkside change and think it should be done across the board because other +damage step abilities have the same problem.

Seal Evil: I like the change, but it reminds me of a question I had a while ago... Why does Red Mage even have this in the first place?

Skill Cap: Step in the right direction, personally I think skill caps should be unconnected to Finesse at all... instead let Finesse give you more skill points at a rate of Finesse / 2 or 3 or 4. It seems more thematic for a thief or engineer to have a broader skillset than a warrior (rather than vice versa) and would help address their need to have more skills in general.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    I think check ends could potentially have the opposite effect: It's very plausible for a high end dark knight type character to have a force high enough that a thief based enemy (or any low res/pwr styled character or enemy) would never be able to outroll them.
    In rare cases this is true.

The probabilities work out like this:

Roll Odds
    2+ 100.00% (duh)
    3+ 97.22%
    4+ 91.67%
    5+ 83.33%
    6+ 72.22%
    7+ 58.33%
    8+ 41.67%
    9+ 27.78%
    10+ 16.67%
    11+ 8.33%
    12 2.78%

Looking at the typical differential of 0-4 (in the attacker's favour)

Difference of 0 points = a 96.98% chance of success by the end of the 4th turn subject to the effect, or after 4 attempts (1-(1-Probability)^4)
    1 = 88.42%
    2 = 72.8%
    3 = 51.78%
    4 = 29.38%

The corner cases, such as a Thief that maxes Finesse and shafts Force, and never increases Force (though I can't imagine getting by with no RES) do lose out, so I propose that durations are capped at 4 rounds and a natural roll of 12 automatically succeeds. Keep in mind that creatures can also spend Destiny to roll an additional dice.

Agree about Seal Evil. Definitely more of a Paladin and/or White Mage Job Ability.

Agree about Finesse, though I would add the caveat that skills should be classified as to whether they belong to Force (Athletics, Escape, Swimming), Finesse (Thievery, Systems, Stealth) or both (Perform, Nature, Inquiry, Negotiation), and their maximum is defined via the scaling I described.

So the revised form would be like so:

Skill Caps: Your maximum skill in a given skill is equal to 1 + your Level / 2 + its relevant ability score / 2. If a skill is keyed off of both Force and Finesse, you use the higher of the two.

You gain bonus skill points each level equal to your Finesse / 2.

Alternately there's something to be said for KISS and just making it a function of a base amount + some fraction of character level.

30. - Top - End - #1230