New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Round Robin Comic! All Welcome!

All right!

After someone by the name of Somfunambulist started one of these on the MSPA forums, I thought I'd make one for the GitP crowd. I encourage everyone to participate, regardless of artistic style and/or ability. Heck, I can barely draw myself!

Before we can get started, I need y'all to read the following:

RULES
    ( paraphrased from Somfunambulist's )
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Call dibs on the next panel(s) by commenting. You have 6 hours to draw and post your update. If you don't make your deadline, your slot goes to the next taker in line.
    2. Respect other people's storyline decisions. Don't go hogging or derailing the plot, all right? This is a collaborative effort!
    3. Don't subvert the storyline for the lulz. As Somfunambulist put it, don't throw a fire-breathing cow or terminal illness into the comic at an inappropriate time just to be silly/melodramatic. You CAN be funny or dramatic so long as it's reasonable. If your panel(s) are ridiculous, the comic will continue as though they never happened.
    4. You may inform everybody of 1 fact regarding your submission whenever you post (a) panel(s). This is often un-illustrated background information important for other contributors to know.
    5. 1. When you're about to introduce a new character, consider if any of the existing characters can already suit your purpose. Round robins tend to produce Loads and Loads of Half-Formed Characters, which can kill a comic pretty quick.
    6. Your update may contain anywhere from 1-5 panels. Any more and you're hogging the stage. Any less, and... well, you're probably lurking.
    7. Keep it PG-13! Nothing explicit/grotesque by way of sex or violence.
    8. All updates must remain accurate to any previously established facts, with 100% accuracy. Any update which violates this rule will be retconned out of existence.
    9. You can't pre-reserve your slot.
    10. As your mod, I reserve the right to retcon updates which violate any of the abovementioned rules.

THE STORY SO FAR
    ( here for your lurking convenience! )
    Spoiler
    Show

There now. Without further ado, I present your opening panel:

Spoiler
    Show

Have fun!
    Last edited by Giovedi; 2011-06-18 at 01:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Round Robin Comic! All Welcome!

Wy posting the same thread twice?
    Despite everything, its still me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh snap! I asked for the original topic to be moved. Is there a duplicate floating around?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This is very similar to Avatar Battle Royale... except it's one panel at the time instead, and more ordered in the succession of comics.

I assume that's only a coincidence?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

A mere coincidence. I already said I'd lifted the idea from the MSPA forums. ;D

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I... don't quite get what person A is saying in p1. >_>

(Generally interested in participating, especially since this doesn't have the baggage of ABR.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think it's starting in the middle of a story, and previous events will be explained as the comic progresses.

Edit: After I post a panel, how many must I wait before I can post a new one?
    Last edited by fizzybobnewt; 2011-04-03 at 12:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
    I think it's starting in the middle of a story, and previous events will be explained as the comic progresses.

Edit: After I post a panel, how many must I wait before I can post a new one?
    Fizzy's right.

And for now I'mma say you can post however often, so long as you don't post twice in a row. This may change if we get more takers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    This is very similar to Avatar Battle Royale... except it's one panel at the time instead, and more ordered in the succession of comics.

I assume that's only a coincidence?
    Actually its nothing like ABR hun...
    In this comic you post a single panel and you run with the characters that it already has...
    Whereas in ABR we post a comic then await another comic with other peoples characters in to reply.
    In ABR we say NO to godmodding another persons characters. but in this as its a general comic that your not putting your own characters into or anything, your using the characters that are in it already, you can do anything you want!

Also I may take part in this, put me up for doing a panel! ^^ but not yet. I need to get those two drawn first :P

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    I... don't quite get what person A is saying in p1. >_>

(Generally interested in participating, especially since this doesn't have the baggage of ABR.)
    Basically (from what i gather)
    Person A has taken a "missing scroll" from person B who obviously had it all along.
    Person B now has to explain to Person A why he had said scroll that Person A had obviously lost.
    Last edited by Fay Graydon; 2011-04-03 at 12:30 PM.
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fay Graydon View Post

Person A has taken a "missing scroll" from person B who obviously had it all along.
    Person B now has to explain to Person A why he had said scroll that Person A had obviously lost.
    Ah, i see. Kinda got thrown by the "but with you" there.

So that means that the next panel would be Person B talking, assuming this is being played straight. (Which it should, since it's the opening.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm going to register my interest with this, ABR is on a go slow at the moment.
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Ah, i see. Kinda got thrown by the "but with you" there.

So that means that the next panel would be Person B talking, assuming this is being played straight. (Which it should, since it's the opening.)
    From what I understand of the scene, the genral pose and expression (anger with person A, nervosity on person B) let me think that person A is accusing person B of having stollen the scroll. The 'but with you' meaning that in person A opinion, person B would be the best suspect, and he just saw his suspicion confirmed.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2011-04-03 at 02:47 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

smuchmuch has it right. I just happen to be grammatically retarded. Sorry for the ambiguity!

/shot

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually the grammer is fine.
    It just makes Character A seem posh.

THIS IS NOW CANNON!
    PERSON A IS POSH!
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

15. - Top - End - #15

Canon. 1 N.
    </nitpick>

16. - Top - End - #16

In no particular order...

- I like making comics but lack time/ attention span in the long term, so this seems like a fun idea
    - I've looked into ABR and came out with the conclusion that things were too established/complex for me to join in any time soon and additionally that anything but OotSesque stickfigure vector based comics are frowned upon in ABR although not 100% banned. I don't enjoy working with vectors and my preferred drawing style's not especially stick figure or OotSey so I don't think I'll be joining ABR...
    - Am I right in thinking that all art styles (except ones that somehow go against forum rules) are acceptable in this round robin?
    -Has anybody called the first "dibs" yet and do dibs need to include the word "dibs" in them?
    - Person A should be posh, IMO. That's what I automatically assumed when I read the speech bubbles
    - Where did the art for the first panel come from? Did Giovedi draw it themself, is it a stock image of some description..? I ask because a mostly online project I got involved in a little while ago seemed like a bright and innovative idea but it turned out that all the artwork but mine was torn without credits from various corners of the net. I wasn't happy having my name connected to that, so I'm carefully prodding this with a metaphorical stick. (The question arose because limited drawing abilities were mentioned but the first image has confident linework at the very least which doesn't strike me particularly as the work of someone who "can barely draw" if we were going to take things really literally.)
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2011-04-03 at 06:50 PM.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    - Am I right in thinking that all art styles (except ones that somehow go against forum rules) are acceptable in this round robin?
    -Has anybody called the first "dibs" yet and do dibs need to include the word "dibs" in them?
    - Where did the art for the first panel come from? Did Giovedi draw it themself, is it a stock image of some description..? I ask because a mostly online project I got involved in a little while ago seemed like a bright and innovative idea but it turned out that all the artwork but mine was torn without credits from various corners of the net. I wasn't happy having my name connected to that, so I'm carefully prodding this with a metaphorical stick. (The question arose because limited drawing abilities were mentioned but the first image has confident linework at the very least which doesn't strike me particularly as the work of someone who "can barely draw" if we were going to take things really literally.)
    1. All styles are indeed acceptable.

2. You don't have to say 'dibs' explicitly, but you have to make the fact you're claiming the panel explicit. I guess saying 'dibs' would make it easiest to tell who's claimed what, tho.

3. Yes, I drew it myself. I'm just obnoxiously self-deprecating sometimes. :-P

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Giovedi View Post
    1. All styles are indeed acceptable.

2. You don't have to say 'dibs' explicitly, but you have to make the fact you're claiming the panel explicit. I guess saying 'dibs' would make it easiest to tell who's claimed what, tho.

3. Yes, I drew it myself. I'm just obnoxiously self-deprecating sometimes. :-P
    Boo sucks on point 3. made me look like all of a fool.

Also, "Dibs".

[imagines how many unwritten/misunderstood rules her panels will break]
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

19. - Top - End - #19

Dibs.

I'm too late now, but my idea for the first panel was something like:
    B: Er... ninjas?
    A: Strike one.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Dibs.

I lol'd IRL.

21. - Top - End - #21

Dibs.

As far as I can see, you could still do that for panel 3.

I tried to make it very open but wanted to put a few "ideas" out there. Made very quickly and not exactly to my highest "standards". My dad got hold of my laptop so... hum.
    (needs more black lines in bottom right corner)
    Current avatar by Zefir

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Ooh, painterly. I like. *stuck to greyscale thanks to an inability to colour*

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Giovedi View Post
    Ooh, painterly. I like. *stuck to greyscale thanks to an inability to colour*
    Thanks. It's probably relatively obvious that I don't know what I'm doing with colourwork/shading either, but I'm trying to teach myself so... Posted it and saw about six brand new weird "art errors" but the ball is rolling now which is summat!

Will check back in on the thread in the morning!
    (Your composition in the first panel's very strong. I struggle with placing things and blame it on dyslexia, myself... )
    Current avatar by Zefir

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Dibs on p3, so the previously mentioned joke can be set up for p4.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

(Your composition in the first panel's very strong. I struggle with placing things and blame it on dyslexia, myself... )
    Aw man, it's not that great. You see that particular shot in just about every comic. Watch an' learn. It's what I do. :'-D

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Incidentally, what setting/techlevel is this in? Whatever fits?

Edit: Nevermind. <_<

Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-04-03 at 09:49 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

I believe it's all up to us. But they do use scrolls...

Edit: Nevermind also, then.

Edit again: darn, I can't work on it for like 15 minutes. The below script will represent my panel, so you guys continue and I'll replace it with a real one soon.

B: Uh... It was the ninjas! They framed me!
    Last edited by fizzybobnewt; 2011-04-03 at 09:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

S'all up to you.

Also, lol'd IRL yet again.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can a crappy artist like me have the honor of drawing the next frame ?

(dibs on 4)
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2011-04-03 at 11:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Round Robin Comic! All Welcome!

- I've looked into ABR and came out with the conclusion that things were too established/complex for me to join in any time soon and additionally that anything but OotSesque stickfigure vector based comics are frowned upon in ABR although not 100% banned. I don't enjoy working with vectors and my preferred drawing style's not especially stick figure or OotSey so I don't think I'll be joining ABR...
    ABR has both complex plots, short-lived gags with so little established that it makes sense that a foxgirl in a gasmask blows it up and the only thing about art styles we object to is incomprehensibleness and extremely bad spelling.

I draw my comics with a tablet in OpenCanvas (hugs to the awesome Domochevsky for telling me about that) and people seem to like my horrible doodles.

Anyway, I don't have time right now but I will probably draw something for this at some point.

So look east when the sun rises and beware! For Keveak is coming!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.