New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Evolution - From Cell to Civilization [Open to voting]

Hello folk! Thi is my first attempt at creation an evolution game based on Spore from Maxis, the creators of The Sims. Anyway, this game involves the story of a single cell growing into a more complex being, then a civilization. It will start simply with the cell, a simple membrane, and you all vote on the actions I shall take. I'll try and update twice a day, allowing more time if there are not a lot of votes. Anyone can vote. Eating things will grant DNA points. After the first round or two of voting we cna start evolving. Evolution will include a list of simple evolutions, with new evolutions unlocking based on creatures we've interacted with or studied and how the cell has acted (i.e., eat a creature witha special itema nd that item becomes available; if votes have our little cell being aggressive he may gain stronger weapons)

I'll post the first action post in a minute.
    Last edited by Croverus; 2010-12-17 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Title Change

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Evolution - From Cell to Civilization

Just a heads up, but something similar is already running here.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

you can still run it. I'm interested in playing both, oh and the one billtodamax linked to doesn't evolve to land.
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, no real reason there can't be multiple of this kind of game going.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Oh wow, it fogot I has started this! They took like a couple days before they even posted this and I jsut now checked for threads I started! Well, I guess bumping for more interest? I'm actually goign to play Spore an dpost images if I can make my screencapture work so my version will have images from the game, which the players can then complain that it isn't what they wanted to look like.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

On a small blue planet circling a wrm sun, it sits just right to possibly support life. A small comet passes the sun, the heat breaking of chunks as it slingshots towards the planet. Entering the atmosphere it bgins to loose more pieces until finally crashing into the oceans and sinking down. A small piece, almost mmicroscopic, settles, cracking open until something moves inside. New life! But will eat eat other cells or plant matter?

First choice of the game. Carvinore or herbivore?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Evolution - From Cell to Civilization [Open to voting]

I say carnivore. Go, meat!
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Carnivore is the wolf...er...I mean....yeah you get the idea.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2010-12-17 at 05:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I think I'll have the voting tome be about 12 hours, so come this afternoon the majority vote will be picked.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I vote carnivore as well.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll vote carnivore.
    -Fimzo

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Ok, voting over and Carnivore wins with no contest. I'll make the little cell, play till I have 10 DNA and take a few screenshots and start with the log. Then we'll open vote for evolving or saving up DNA.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Note: PrtSc isn't working on ym computer so for now, no screen shots unfourtanetly, though I'll do my best to describe out creature as he grows.

The small meteor rock breaks open and a cell exits. With a larger front end and forward mandibles for cuttingand chewing and a pair of beady eyes to see it's prey. It propels itself with a single flegellum attached to the tiner back half of it's body.

This carnivorous cell immedietly sets about eating small chunks of meat. It encounters a few small pill-shaped white cells with several eyes lined in a row along it's middle feeding on plant matter. They seem to run at the sight of the carnivore. After eating a few meat particles the cell grows, now dwarfing the small white pills. It encounters other cells now while continuing to eat meat particles. It spots two new cells, an orangish cell with mandibles and several flegellumhunts other cells and may compete for meet. A fat purpleish plant eater has a pair of vicious horns on its front.

After exploring and eating more chunks of meat, you spot a very large brown cell with many eyes and large mandibles devours one of the herbivores with the spikes, releasing DNA. You grab it, learning how to make spikes,a nd run away before the larger cell can get you too. Having accumulated a good deal of DNA you call for a mate, meeting up nd laying an egg, which will grow into the next generation.

Ok, second round of voting. You have 15 DNA.

Parts:
    Jaw - Eat meat and and hunt cells, makes you a carnivore - 15 DNA
    Filter Mouth - Eat plant matter, makes you a herbivore - 15 DNA
    (Having both mouths makes you an omnivore)
    Flagella - Increase movement speed - 15 DNA
    Spike - Ram enemy cells, defend yourself and break open Rcks - 10 DNA
    Beady Eye/Button Eye - Lets you see (extra eyes are just cosmetic) - 5 DNA
    Stalk Eye - Same as Beady/Button Eyes, Stick out of body - 5 DNA

You can also vote on shapes of the cell, then color/texture, neither have any gameplay impact but it adds a personal touch.

Voting will last for 4 hours for evolution choices.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a little confused on what we already have.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

In the first italicized paragraph is the description, including shape, color, and parts. We have beady eyes, a jaw, and a flagella. We can removes parts to Earn their DNA (Like lose eyes to be blind but get 5 DNA, which would allow us to get two sets of spines instead of one for 10 DNA).
    Last edited by Croverus; 2010-12-17 at 08:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I think we should switch out our beady eyes for eye stalks and we should get a filter mouth.

Also I think we should become square in shape and we should be teal.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2010-12-17 at 08:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

What was the point of the first vote if we can change it easily now? >.>

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait, so how is this any different than playing the real Spore game?
    -Fimzo

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fimzo View Post
    Wait, so how is this any different than playing the real Spore game?
    It's a group effort?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh yeah. Well, my copy of Spore stopped working a few months ago, so now I can play it again. And the group working should make it interesting.

Anyway, I say we get eye stalks in the front, and have a narrow body with a bulge near the front. Color doesn't matter to me. Oh, and get filters in addition to the mandibles.
    -Fimzo

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Ok, so far swith out the eyes for stalk eyes has two votes, and two votes for adding filter mouth (If you want to Replace the jaw we have with filter mention that, otherwise I assume you mean you want to be an omnivore.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

If you guys want to vote on a name, feel free to do so. I'm heading to bed soon.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's be the Irgise... wait, wrong play-by-post Spore game.
    I don't have any good ideas yet, maybe later.
    -Fimzo

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I can change the name at any time. For now we won't worry about it. We can decide on a name later. I'll go ahead and continue our adventure until we've acquired a few more pieces and about another 20 DNA to give us some options. Finalizing cell now and will update in a bit.
    Last edited by Croverus; 2010-12-18 at 06:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

After the new generation is born, it's body as altered to look like a large bulb and thin long body. It's single flagellum propels it still, and it has lost it's beady eyes for a pair of stalk eyes sticking out near the front of the body, behind a new set of fliter mouths that surround the jaw mouth, which has grown just slightly.

Now with the new form the cell was hungry and immedietly ate several surrounding particles of meat and plant matter. Searching through a field of bubbles a Predator with some bulbous back end flies forward, trying to take a junk out of the cell, but it is knocked aside with your own haws. You go for it's eyes stalks and manage to kill it, releasing DNA for it's jet and several meat particles. You absorb the DNA, now able to grow that part, then eat the meat.

Wandering further you come upon several small herbivores, feasting on large masses of plants. You scare them off and indugle in the feast, growing suddenly. You continuestripping as much plant matter as you can, severl herbivores, now dwarfed by you, wander too close and are gobble up in one bite as well. Having growna great deal and obtained a new DNA part you can continue on hunting and feasting or choose to evolve now.

Gained a new part:
    Jet - Grants 2 extra points of speed -25 DNA

You have 20 DNA to spend.

You are an omnivore.
    You can see.
    You move at a speed of 1.

You have a filter mouth woth 15 DNA
    You have a Jaw worth 15 DNA
    You have stalk eyes worth 5 DNA
    You have a flagellum worth 15 DNA
    Total DNA composition of parts is 50 DNA

You also have access to:
    Beady Eyes - 5 DNA
    Button Eyes - 5 DNA
    Spikes - 10 DNA

Would you like to evolve now or keep hunting?
    Evolve now - Choose parts to gian, parts to lose, other changes
    Keep hunting - I will continue eating equal parts plant matter and meat and try acquiring more parts. You set how much DNA to gain before we try evolving again, and if we should prefer one food over the other.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

WHAT IS THIS! YOU LOUSY BOOTLEGGER!Nah, I'm just kiddin, imitation is the sincerest form a flattery after all. I vote keep hunting
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2010-12-18 at 08:01 PM.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    WHAT IS THIS! YOU LOUSY BOOTLEGGER! Nah, I'm just kiddin, imitation is the sincerest form a flattery after all. I vote keep hunting
    I was infact inspired by yours to do this, except I'm using Spore the game so I can try adding pictures. Like so:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I agree that we should keep hunting.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I vote to get 5 more DNA, then a jet. Unless we unlock a new part while hunting.
    -Fimzo

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Ok, gonna go ahead and explore some more.

The cell chose not to change for now, exploring its surroundings. It found several herbivores feasting on a large plant clutser, first eating the competition then grazing. Halway finished with the banquet the cell grows again, able to eat the plant particle in one bite, and quickly gulp down several nearby cells now tiny in comparison.

A fast moving green cell with a long snout-like mouth rams into another cell, sucking out its insides. While it did this you watch an exceptionally large brown cell with several large jaws bite down on it, releasing the DNA for a probuscis. You quickly sneak in and grab it, turning the run from the larger cell. It pursues you but you lose it in a field of shells and smaller cellsm whom it decides to go after them.

Another small cell whizzes past but you manage to turn and bie down before it escapes, releasing DNA for a flipper. You acquire this and store it for later, continuing your hunt. Finding a new plant field you proceed to chow down, growing larger once more. pair of nearby carnivores attacks you suddenly. Tith no spikes to protection and unable to fend off both of them with just your one jaw they soon cut you down. Lukily the DNA you've gathered passes on to your species.

You are reborn some distance off, but are quickly chased by a alrge cell. Running you manage to get it distracted by cirlcing some large egg, which hatches into a nasty little cell with proportionally large jaws. The bigger cells munche son the newborn one before it too cna start chasing you. You spot a glittering objext off to the side and approaching it find a meteor piece. Crackign it open with your jaw you acquire the DNA for poison glands. Your celebration is short as the large cell eats you in one gulp.

Reborn again it's becoming clear you have no defence gainst other cells except for your one jaw,a nd the single flagella you have means you are slow. Eating a few more plants a mall green cell gives you a brief shock, but you gulp it down without much other hassle and finish grazing. The cell had DNA for a shock organ. Having harvested several new parts and a good deal of DNA you call for a mate, but are attacked and quickly eaten yet again by faster, better equipped predators.

Reborn once more you've had enough. You call for a mate immedietly and meet them, ready to produce the future generation, who will eb better able to fend itself from enemies.

You were eaten 3 times between the last evolution and this one. Twice by larger cells that you had no defence from and couldn't outrun, and once by a pack who you attacked from different sides.

Gained a new part:
    Proboscis - Can eat plants or drain living cells - 25 DNA
    Poison - You create clouds of poison constantly - 15 DNA
    Shock - Charges up then electricutes nearby enemy cells - 25 DNA
    Cilia - +1 Speed and allows fast turns - 15 DNA

You have acquired 40 DNA to use.

You are an omnivore.
    You can see.
    You move at a speed of 1.

You have a filter mouth - Eat plant matter - woth 15 DNA
    You have a Jaw - Eat meat and bite cells - worth 15 DNA
    You have stalk eyes - Sight - worth 5 DNA
    You have a flagellum - Gives 1 Speed - worth 15 DNA
    Total DNA composition of parts is 50 DNA

You also have access to:
    Beady Eyes - Sight - 5 DNA
    Button Eyes - Sight - 5 DNA
    Spikes - Defend yourself - 10 DNA
    Jet - Gives 2 Speed - 25 DNA

List all changes you want, including removing parts, adding parts, where to put them, etc. Shape and color changes also can be mentioned. I'll leave voting open for a couple hours.