New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Tribes of Tell Amakh (Part 1 IC)

Wood-Archer finally gets to the room and instantly slows as he feels the energy. He points to his companions, those who are 'chosen' after he looks at the strange painting. "This hasn't happened. It has yet to. This is a 'prophecy-painting.' Seers move their hands of their own accord while in a trance, and what they end up with is a glimpse of the future."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Susi

The smallest amongst them, Susi takes a few moments to absorb the ambience of the room. That done, she looks carefully at the 10 figures with animal shadows and reaches out her hand to the figure with the shadow of a fox.

The scene that she examines next is the one of tribal warriors crossing a mountain range. Based on her own limited knowledge of geography, Susi tries to determine any identifying features of the mountain range and the pass they presumably used.

[Knowledge(geography): (1d20+3)[19]]

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Wood-Archer finally gets to the room and instantly slows as he feels the energy. He points to his companions, those who are 'chosen' after he looks at the strange painting. "This hasn't happened. It has yet to. This is a 'prophecy-painting.' Seers move their hands of their own accord while in a trance, and what they end up with is a glimpse of the future."
    ESHALYN

I disssagree. Thisss isss what happened when the tribesss firssst moved over the mountainsss. The bearsss were left behind for sssome reassson, and the darknessss wasss even then menacing
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #514
    Bugbear in the Playground

In any case it doesn't tell us what the darkness is nor what to do against it. The tribes then chose to flee rather than fight, so they must have felt helpless against it.
    However if we cross the mountains we might find remnants of the Bear clan. Maybe they still remember the old stories.
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sutyi

"I would like to join you in your quest if you let me. I sugest 1 or 2 of you should stay here to protect the caves, their importance might be greater than we think. I will lead the group to the pass in this picture, if you like."
    Act well before thinking!

6. - Top - End - #516

Wood-Archer listens to Sutyi. Turning to his companions, he already sees the disheartened look of a few he knows will not continue onwards. He looks at Susi and Eshalyn and nods softly.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

Eshalyn approaches the white haired whelp and Keran.

Do not feel we are abandoning you to nothing. The tasssk of guarding thessse cavesss is very important, and it isss likely the Icemen will be back to try again. Guard them well, your successss might well determine the ressst of our livesss.

(1d20+3)[13] Diplomacy
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The white haired whelp and Keran look disappointed for a moment, but then smile and accept, smiling: "We will protect these caves and their secrets with our lives. Go on, find a way to turn back the iceman threat."

Sutyi

Sutyi is obviously an owl triber, with grey feathers in her hair and fixed to her clothing. Her movements are precise and quick, her eyes always on alert. She smiles at you and says: "Let's get this party started, then!"

You leave the caves behind, heading more or less east. Sutyi seems to know the terrain well and you avoid any more contact with icemen. You see a few smaller parties roaming around and narrowly avoid a much larger band heading south.

After about a week's travel the mountains ahead of you are close enough to see individual peaks. You seem to be heading at a gap between 2 giants. One night, you make camp in a narrow ravine that cuts across your way, about 2 days from the mountains. The night is especially dark, with clouds covering the moon and no stars out.
    Last edited by Simba; 2011-06-14 at 10:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519

Does the balance of elements in the weather seem off, or does it seem like a genuinely dark-cloudy sky? (1d20+6)[8]
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Does the balance of elements in the weather seem off, or does it seem like a genuinely dark-cloudy sky? [roll0]
    It looks perfectly natural to you. The ravine is about 2 meters wide and has very steep sides that end about 4 meters above you. Posting a sentry up there should solve your security problems nicely. There is fresh water a fer meters down, where a cave is filled with water.
    Last edited by Simba; 2011-06-16 at 05:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

We need to possst watchesss. Two on each one sssshould work. I wil take a watch with Danesssh if he wissshesss. We can take any ssshift wanted.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #522

Danesh throws her a glance that could hold both surprise and delight.
    Uh, sure. We're five now, so I guess we'll have three watches and one has to take a lone watch. Probably the last one since it's shortest. So we'll take first or second.
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tarha glances down to Macko and tousles his hair for a moment before speaking up, "Macko and I can take a watch of our own. I think we can handle it."
    I am a True Neutral Human Wizard, Level 1.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    That is one epic dream ... I applaud your subconscious!

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You organize the watches, with Wood Archer and Sutyi taking the first, Danesh and Eshalyn the second while Tarha shares the last watch with Susi and Macko.

You settle down to sleep and after an exhausting day it comes quickly to those not on watch.

First watch is free of anything special, but later, about 2 hours after midnight, Danesh and Eshalyn feel something strange, as if a presence had somehow found their minds. It almost feels like someone was carefully, lightly caressing your heads, just deeper down. It comes and goes quickly and is over before you can react to it.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Simba; 2011-06-21 at 11:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

Did you feel that. Not sssomething physssical, sssomething in my head. Wake one of thossse who do sssspellsss and sssee what they sssay
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #526

I felt it too, but... it wasn't actually unpleasant. More like a gentle nudge. I don't know if it's dangerous, but it probably means something knows we're here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge arcana: (1d20+7)[24]
    Knowledge the tribes (in case there's stories about similar things): (1d20+7)[20]

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A short time later the sensation returns. This time it takes a little longer and seems to go deeper. It is not unpleasant, but colder and somehow more alien this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please roll a WILL[21] save, both of you!

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

(1d20+4)[22] Will

There it isss again, Im not waiting any more on thisss
    EVERYONE, WAKE UP, WAKE UP
    There issss sssomething out here, sssomething probing our mindsss
    GET UP
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2011-06-27 at 07:03 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #529

A hunter, Wood-Archer's eyes pop open and they unblear in only a few seconds as he stands up with his bow. "What is it, Eshalyn?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #530

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save using Moment of Perfect Mind to roll Mental Focus instead: (1d20+8)[19]

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

Itsss ssssomething in my head...trying to probe me or sssomething. I dont know how to explain it. Danesssh felt it too, sssee if you can feel ssssomething

Eshalyn moves to wake up more people.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the party wakes you all feel the presence in your minds, caressing you in a cold, alien way.

WILL[21] for everyone who did not already roll.

Eshalyn is free to act and so is Danesh.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

@Danesh:

You feel darkness filling your mind as it struggles in vain to overcome the intruding presence. Then you hear the hooting of Whisper, driving the darkness back and filling you with new resolve.

Spoiler
    Show
    Special ability for Owl tribers: Once per day your Owl companion can fill you with new resolve, letting you reroll any failed save (or roll used instead of a save) with a bonus of your character's total HD. This effect is resolved in the same round and takes no action. You can decide when it is used, of course.
    Last edited by Simba; 2011-06-28 at 10:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534

Wood-Archer tries to draw strength from the earth and plants around him, but it is very difficult.
    Will save (1d20+7)[21]

Nonetheless, and only with herculean effort, Wood-Archer. just. barely. succeeds.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-28 at 12:15 AM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #535
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Susi

Awakening from sleep, it takes Susi a moment to clear the sleep from her mind.

[Will save vs DC21: (1d20+8)[17]]

And even as she does, her mind is assaulted by a dark presence ...
    Last edited by Stormwind; 2011-06-28 at 01:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

Once she has the entire party awake, Eshalyn proceeds to start to search around, attempting to discover the source of whatever is attacking her mind.

(1d20)[16]
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #537

As he hears Whisper's call, Danesh experiences a short moment of clarity. Now he knows, what's happening is indeed an attack, and he desperately struggles to emerge from the darkness again.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[17] (I used my own HD as a bonus now, if by "total" you meant the HD of both Whisper and me then it's 4 (?) more.)

28. - Top - End - #538
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tarha takes the longest to wake, and sits up groggily, looking around in confusion, "Znnffuh? What's going on?" She asks, even as the intangible presence probes at her mind.
    I am a True Neutral Human Wizard, Level 1.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    That is one epic dream ... I applaud your subconscious!

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eshalyn and Wood-Archer shake of the feeling of cold darkness creeping up on them. The others, Danesh, Tarha and Susi are filled with dark despair. They are free to act, but to them life has lost some of its meaning. There is no way to win, no chance for success, so why struggle?

Spoiler
    Show

Those who made it: no effect.
    Those who did not: -5 to all rolls from now on, including skill, attribute, save, attack and damage rolls. You will get a chance to break out soon enough so don't despair.

Eshalyn climbs the wall of the ravine in order to get a better view. She sees nothing at first, but gradually her vision clears and she sees a few black creatures charging towards her position. There are 3 of them and they look like a mixture between a wolf and a scorpion, with long, powerful legs and a chitin carpace to protect them. Their tail ends in a stinger that is propably poisonous, but moves more like the tail of a wolf.

The creatures are about 100' away, closing fast. You have this full round to act and initiative next round before they reach the ravine's edge.

What do you do?

30. - Top - End - #540

Wood-Archer mounts his horse, riding to the edge, and casts entangle as soon as he sees the baddies. "Get on your horses and ready a run, most of you look way to weak for some reason to battle."
    Show