New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Tribes of Tell Amakh (Part 1 IC)

ESHALYN

I wonder if there isss sssome way to ussse thessse wolvesss asss a dissstracton to them, for usss to sssneak in
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it's no coincidence that it's wolves out there, howling while other wolves are trapped in here. It could be a sign... Or it could be the mounts of Wolf Warriors. But even if it's just a wild pack, it may be a chance we get."
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Menek

"I know that howl, I know them all! Those are our friends, our companions, but they have been changed. Something is different about them..."
    Act well before thinking!

4. - Top - End - #214

The white-haired whelp looks at Menek. "Changed? How so?"

Inwardly, he notes that, that doesn't sound like a good thing by any stretch.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Menek

"I saw Greymane die, killed by an iceman, but that is his howl, no doubt. It sounds somehow different, but it is him, alright!"
    Last edited by Simba; 2010-12-13 at 11:14 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

'eyy, waitasec now." The knife-whelpfrowns cautiously. "Are you sayin' them Wolf Tribe folks went an' turned into actual wolves? Like werewolves or some stuff?"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

I think he meansss that the original wolf wasss killed but hasss been brought back to life, now in ssservice of Icemen. Sssort of like an undead wolf?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

The smallest whelp quickly turns to the willowy whelp and the fox whelp, "You two, take a look outside, and keep out of sight, the rest of you ... grab weapons and be ready if those two come running back."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

The axe-whelp's eyes widen at Menek's claim, looking out toward the mouth of the cave. "Are you absolutely sure, Menek? That doesn't sound possible. Surely, you must be imagining things...?"

But even as she questions the soundness of Menek's mind, she cannot help but ponder, thinking back to remember whether she knows any tales of the dead returning to life, through dark magic or spirits.

Knowledge (Tribal) to remember any stories of undead: (1d20+5)[25]
    I am a True Neutral Human Wizard, Level 1.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    That is one epic dream ... I applaud your subconscious!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

Eshalyn nods her acknowledgement of the small whelp's order and glides silently back out of the cave, moving like a ghost through the outdoors, trying to see what is up with the wolves

(1d20+9)[13] stealth
    (1d20)[15] perception
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archdeacon GX View Post
    Knowledge (Tribal) to remember any stories of undead: [roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the tales of old, there are legends of companions serving their partners even beyond death. They became spirits of the wild, creatures of pure spiritual energy, seemingly driven by a strong need to aid their masters and friends. There was never anything evil about those creatures in the tales.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The snake whelp calling herself Eshalyn and the fox whelp move out into the open, but they do not get far. Right before the entrance to the cave they see a wolf, patiently sitting and looking at her. At the same time they also see the river behind the wolf, as if looking through a slightly opaque surface like a thin sheet of ice. The wolf is clearly not agressive but calmly waiting.

Suddenly, the snake whelp calling herself Eshalyn feels a slight touch on her left foot, as if something incredibly light was moving against it.
    Last edited by Simba; 2010-12-14 at 04:52 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heartened by remembering the teachings of the Elder, she folds her arms. "Ah, I remember now...my mentor used to tell me stories of animal spirits appearing to offer assistance to their living partners...Even if Greymane and the other wolves did return from the dead, I don't think we'd have anything to worry about, if the tales are true. They are wolves of Tell Farh -- honorable, noble creatures, too strong and proud to be made to serve the likes of icemen!" She shakes her head and smiles proudly, adding, "This could be a sign, good fortune! The spirits of our wolves are returning to aid us, and we shouldn't be afraid."

Still, she awaits the return of the snake and fox whelps, unable to be certain of her own musings without proof.
    Last edited by Archdeacon GX; 2010-12-14 at 01:02 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

While making sure she keeps one eye on the wolf, the whelp called Eshalyn glances down to see what has touched her foot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Further actions once I know what is there, but I would probably attempt to motion the wolf to enter the caves
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Glancing down, Eshalyn sees a ghostlike, translucent snake slithering up her leg. It is small and colorful - or would be colorful if it wasn't almost invisible.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

Eshalyn allows the snake to slide up to wherever it choses to rest, and then backs away from the wolf, motioning for it to follow her. If it does so, she will lead it back into the cave, and speak to the party
    Thisss wolf wasss waiting for usss, I think it wantsss to help

Then she will examine the snake more closely, seeing if she can recognize what type it is, and if it communicates with her in the manner she has seen for other animals and tribesmen
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2010-12-14 at 10:33 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The wolf follows the snake whelp inside and looks around, his gaze finally settling on Menek. It moves to his side, head low, then settles beside him.

The snake climbing the whelp calling herself Eshalyn only stops when it reaches her shoulder, then settles there as if it belonged. A feeling of peace and happyness radiates towards the whelp and in her head she 'hears' a single word, more feeling than a real word: "Home."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

As the other scene plays out, Eshalyn strokes the head of the snake.

Zither
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

With the wolf having joined the group (at least, sort of), the whelp who calls herself Eshalyn heads back out of the cave, first attempting to see how many spirit wolves are outside, and then heads towards the cave where the tribesmen are being held captive. Her scouting mission is designed to just see how the defenses are set up, and how many guards would need to be dealt with, in order to get to the captives, or even if it is possible.

(1d20+9)[14] Stealth
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Outside the cave the whelp who calls herself Eshalyn is surprised by the number of spirit wolves present: over 2 dozen of them have gathered around, hiding from the icemen, but briefly showing themselves to her.

As she climbs up towards the icemen cave she sees easily finds the entrance to their cave. It is low, almost at the waterline, and fronted by what might even be called a beach: a strech of sandy riverside, about 15 feet wide and 50 long.

The cave entrance itself is relatively big, about 10 feet high and almost as wide. A lone iceman can be seen, guarding it. The tunnel behind it curves after only 4 or 5 steps. Soft light can be seen shining around the bend.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

The whelp called Eshalyn retreats to the cave with her companions.

There are over two dozen ssspirit wolvesss out there, willing to aid usss unlesss I missss my guessss. Asss for the Icemen, there is only one guard at the front of the cavesss, although Im not sssure what liesss beyond. We ssshould be able to take him out easssily enough, but after that, I cannot sssay.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

The axe-whelp stares in awe at the spirit of Greymane -- at least, the wolf she assumes is Greymane -- as it sits beside Menek like a loyal hound. When Eshalyn returns with news, she looks up and responds, "Two dozen? That's just how many warriors we lost in the ambush...this is incredible. Do you think that they can fight?" The whelp muses, reaching forward and attempting to touch the ghost of Greymane, testing whether or not it is intangible.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233

Whilst the sneaky whelps are out checking out the cave in which the Icemen are holed up in, the smallest whelp checks her patient, paying careful attention to the insubstantial wolf beside him.

As the willowy whelp returns to the cave and passes on the news, the smallest whelp comes to a decision and she voices her opinion, "It seems that the spirits are with us, and I for one would not ignore their help. However, this will require all of us, as once we take out the first Iceman, the sounds of combat will negate all pretense at stealth and speed will be of the essence. Are you all willing to attempt this?"

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

If all of the sssneaky people go in first and quietly, we may be able to take out the guard without a sssound. Essspecially if I can do a lot of damage with my unarmed ssstrikesss. Sssso I am willing to attempt it.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

The knife-whelp sighs and sticks his dagger in the dirt. "Well I'm stumped," he finally declares. "I bin thinkin' an' thinkin' 'bout it, and every time the only way I can see it that we win is if we get lucky, sneak in an' take out the guards one by one, slittin' their throats all quiet-like. With how many folks we're hearing there are in there, if any word rises up once we're in, we're worse off'n a fox in a smoked-out den."

He shakes his head ruefully. "Same time though, them two dozen wolf spirits might be pretty useful...but can spirits attack flesh'n'blood folks?"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archdeacon GX View Post
    The whelp muses, reaching forward and attempting to touch the ghost of Greymane, testing whether or not it is intangible.
    The whelps hand passes right through the spirit wolf. It feels a little cold and maybe a little as it the air was thicker in there. The wolf turns his head, regards the whelp, then licks his hand. This time he feels the tongue and everything that goes with it.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Colossus in the Playground

The archer-whelp says to the 'leader', "You have been chosen to lead the group, and if you lead the group within the caves, my bow will be of little use in the cramped quarters, and there will be little wood to work. You choose for greater glory and the sate of your hurting heart, but we have delayed our purpose for which we were chosen - it was not for us to choose to do differently, regardless of the reasoning. If you fall inside, our mission has failed completely.

"I will ride south to the tribes and tell them what I know. I will force myself and my mount to the limits of our endurance to move at all possible speed. The cave where we held last night shall be a meeting place. If upon return with the tribes we cannot meet you there, on the way there, or find your tracks to safety, we will assume you have fallen.

"I am not looking for permission, just your blessing. The tribes must be warned with all haste with what we know so far."

28. - Top - End - #238

Within the cave, the smallest whelp turns on the archer whelp and in a soft voice she replies, "Do not think that I have forgotten the job we were assigned. I have no intention of risking our task, however with the support of the spirits we may be able to spare our clanmates from torture or worse, and if I can I will see both tasks done."

Her soft voice still carries a hint of something beneath it as she continues, "If you would wait a few moments before riding off into the sunset, I will explain my plan in further detail."

29. - Top - End - #239

The white-haired whelp perks up slightly at the mention of the spirit-wolves. "With that many additional forces on our side... Didn't the layout have the prisoners down one hallway and the bulk of the icemen down the other?"

The whelp looks at the injured wolfclan member for confirmation of what he heard. "If that's the case, the spirit-wolves, possibly along with us that are less stealth-focused, can hold the chokepoint of the tunnel leading to the icemen's sleeping quarters, along with the third branch. Meanwhile, the rest can free the prisoners. A fighting retreat, along with a full-out retreat with the spirit-wolves to guard our escape..."

He looks to the smallest whelp with a questioning look on his face.

30. - Top - End - #240

The smallest whelp nods at the white haired whelp, "You have the gist of it."
    She pauses a moment before continuing, "First, those of us who are skilled at stealth, accompanied by our incorporeal friends will sneak up and take out the sentry, followed by the guards as we proceed to the cave where our friends are held. The wolves and one or two of our close combat types can hold the choke point, the Icemen's main cave, if it is necessary whilst we get our clanmates out."

"At the same time the rest of us will be set up on the other side of the river with the horses and with whatever ranged weapons we have and they will be both our ranged support and our insurance. Hopefully we can get our tribesmen out and retreat accross the river whilst the wolves and our ranged combatants contain the Icemen at the cave entrance. If things go wrong and the Icemen pour out of the cave first, then everyone on the otherside of the river is to get out of here as fast as they can and meet up with Belegas."

She pauses again, this time looking at those other whelps who form her small pack, "I believe this is worth the risk, but I need all of your support for this."