New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Fallcrest - IC - Part III [4E]

The ex-stalagmite is quick on its feet; as the lizard rears up to begin its flight, the Shepherd leaps, spinning noiselessly in the stale air and dim light of the cavern. He lands on the beast's back, skidding on his old sandals down the spine of its back. Leaping off, he somersaults, spinning his crook about him in opposite multiple arcs, hacking into the leather bindings that hold the creature to the cart. He lands gracefully on the edge of the cart, resting the impressive shepherding implement across his shoulder. He narrows his eyes at the two eladrin attempting to flee, and with the ire only a shepherd can muster, he glowers at them both furiously.

"Bad sheep. Stay."

Granted, with the Shepherd, it is hard to find the line between intimidating and oddly pleasant.

Spoiler
    Show

Athletics: (1d20+14)[24]
    I believe this is either climbing or jumping, meaning I get a second roll. (1d20+14)[29]

Melee Basic vs. Straps: (1d20+12)[19]

Damage: (1d8+9)[16] I figure an inanimate object is immune to poison damage.

See OOC thread for Intimidate check. Result is a 16.
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2011-02-12 at 02:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil leaps after the cart, pulling out his sword as he makes a perfect landing on it. "I would do what he tells you. You're worth so much more to me alive than dead."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics - (1d20+12)[30]
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-02-12 at 02:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

OOC: could I get a get an intimidate check from Aramil? (+4 circumstance bonus)
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-13 at 05:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf Drow Bard

Lucan sighs. "Our guards may be stupid thugs, but they're not stupid enough to attack your other guests in full sight of your gates while you have us as hostages. As he said"--he gestures at Eltain--"it's probably a misunderstanding."

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I'm not sure whether I should roll bluff when Lucan's very much hoping that this is true.

So let's try diplomacy instead:

Diplomacy - (1d20+16)[23]

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Aramil landed, his outer cloak flew off, revealing his stern face accompanied by the scent of ozone.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Slave

Pavick places one hand on the shoulder of the hacking gnome, trying to calm him. "Now listen to me. NO ONE is going to be recaptured. My friends and I have saved an entire village from death. We have faced off against demons and devils that had sided together against us, and we were able to recover an artifact of immense divine power from them. We have come from the prime material all the way here, just to help you. It IS possible to get away from these slavers. My parents were once slaves, just like you. They escaped, made it all the way to another plane, and have not been bothered since. I was born in freedom because they had the courage to run. We are willing to help you do the same. No matter how evil and tough they may be, it is just too much trouble for them to chase you across the planes hunting you down when they can more easily find other slaves here. If you think we are stupid enough to come down here half-cocked without a solid plan for escape, you are sorely mistaken. So, I ask you again, will you help us and then come with us to safety, or will you choose to be left behind here when we save the others. Not to make threats, but I can only imagine the fomorian's anger when he realizes all of the others are gone. I would not want to be under his whips when he finds out."

Spoiler
    Show

Now after typing that speech out. I'd better not roll a 1. If I do, I may have to go back and change Pavick's speech to. "Uh... come on guys... Please?"

Diplomacy - (1d20+12)[15]

Edit: (Well better than a 1, but still not very good, so perhaps we ought to make that into)

"Uh... come on guys... Please? Pretty please?"
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2011-02-13 at 02:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Pavick:

The gnome looks up at Pavick, but before he can answer, shouting is heard from the front gate. "Are those your friends?" He points towards the gates. "Even if they get in, they'll never get out. The gate shoots fire towards anyone trying to escape. They'll be trapped just like us." He dives back into his bed, and quickly pulls up his flimsy excuse for a sheet, and rolls over, curled up in a fetal position.

The other gnome looks up at Pavick, and between a wild, hacking cough, he manages to whisper faintly "The gate is controlled from the guardhouse, but I don't know how..." the coughing kicks back in, and the gnome doubles over, unable to manage another word between the hacking.

---------------------------------

Glydax's eye narrows at Eltain's not-so-subtle clue; but after a moment you hear a soft laughter emanating from the creature. At Lucan's words, the wobbly head turns to face the half-elf. "Perhaps..." the huge yellow eye glances towards the balcony and the outside, then shifts back to the "drow" in front of him. "Very well. Why don't you go clear up this 'misunderstanding,' for me." He nods to the door. "Of course, if this does turn out to be some sort of treachery, I will be very upset." Glydax bares his teeth, a huge row of razor-sharp spikes, and looks at you expectantly.

Insight DC 24
    Spoiler
    Show
    You suspect that the creature has some sort of alternate agenda, simply letting you leave like this.

---------------------------------

The Eladrin racing back towards the gate nearly fly off the cart as suddenly the lizard bursts free from the straps, and in its place is a human rock; arms folded and eyes glowering. A *thump* behind the two causes them both to slowly turn, only to find themselves looking up at a very scary fey-knight with a sword at their throats. The jittery winter Eladrin gives a very audible gulp, while the other simply stares at the swordmage his face blank, but his eyes wide.

From up ahead, you hear a shout from the other side of the gate."Oi, what's going on out there!?"

The second Winter fey looks at the sword at his throat, then up at Aramil. You seem him quickly weighing the options in his mind, before looking up at the Swordmage, and silently mouthing: "What should I say?"

The gate is still a ways away, and it's unlikely from this distance that the Cyclopses can clearly see what is happening.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-13 at 11:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil whispers back, sternly. "That it's a false alarm and there's nothing wrong."

He doesn't feel the need to remind them that if they don't comply, they'll see what he can do with the sword pointed at their throats.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Eladrin eyes the sword at his neck, clears his throat, and calls out: "Oh, um... it's nothing. Er...A dekku rat jumped out of the shadows, that's all. ...Yeah." The Winter Fey is clearly nervous, and fumbles a bit, but manages to get the words out.

From behind the gate, you hear a voice call out "Bloody hells, this isn't some posh manor in the trees! Don't go jumping at...hang on a sec.." the voice pauses for a moment, as the Lizard mount that Shep cut loose comes to a halt in front of the gate. "You @#$!#%* idiots, you couldn't even keep one stinking lizard under control!?" The voice goes silent again, and you hear several voices arguing on the other side of the gate, but eventually one rises above the rest "-on't care if they're dumber than goblin waste, they're valuable clients and you'll treat them appropriately!" There's a sharp crack of a whip, a yelp of pain, and a long silence.

Eventually, the cyclops voice is again heard: "Oi, you lot out there! I must have... the voice sounds a bit strained at this point, "harnessed the lizard wrong. We'll come re-harness it."

The gate *creaks* open again, and two Cyclopes come out, take the lizard by the bridal, and start leading him towards you. Just through the open gate, you can faintly make out the image of the Fomorian and a few other Cyclopes gathered around behind him.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-14 at 02:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #460

The Shepherd frowns, feeling the heavy thuds of the fomorian send shockwaves through the earth beneath the cart. The rock cried out to wool-covered ears, though the Shepherd heard it plainly, so in tune with the stone as he was. With two graceful fingers, fingers of doom and damnation, the Shepherd pointed at the eladrin.

"You know what will happen if you do something naughty."

The fingers are pressed together, and with a scything motion, the Shepherd gestures across his neck, accenting the gesture with narrowed eyes.

The Shepherd whirls his great cloak, billowing in the stillness of the Feydark, and engulfs himself and Aramil within its earthy folds. Where there was once a mountain of a man and an eladrin knight, there only remained a silent boulder.

Stealth: (1d20+12)[24]
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2011-02-14 at 01:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Somehow, the hint manages to pierce Zyrr's obsidian skull. "Yes, yes, let's go make sure none of our rear-guard get themselves killed." He crosses his arms behind him in partially genuine irritation at this development as he backs away from the mutated cyclops. "That's the fun of cheap mercs. In any situation, you can expect them to either run away or blindly attack before they know what they're up against." As he says the last five words, he flicks one of the thumbs behind him upward at Eltain. He attempts to keep his voice flowing naturally, the hand signal and possibly rampant paranoia being the only sign of any hidden meaning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff - (1d20+12)[29] to avoid tipping off the hopefully inattentive cyclops guards.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Slave

"Thank you. I'm sure that information will be helpful. Now get some rest. We'll be leaving soon and we'll be happy to bring you with us, but you'll need all the energy you can muster. I'm going to go see who else I can talk to," Pavick says as he rubs the coughing gnome's back soothingly. He pulls the blanket up onto him and turns to go.

Soon Pavick is heading toward the fields as he was directed earlier.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Zyrr, Eltain, and Lucan make their way out of the building, and down the stairs to the main gate. Gathered at the gate, you can see the Fomorian peering out down the tunnel, with a number of Cyclopses from the farm gathered around him. The gate has just opened up, and one of the gate guards and farm hands have gone out, and appear to be leading a giant lizard.

---------------------

As Pavick makes his way out onto the fields, he notices most of the guards headed towards the main gate. Keeping your distance, you can tell that the focus is primarily on something happening just outside the gate, but on the far side of the cavern, you can just make out the form of your three "drow" allies making their way down the stairs.

---------------------

As the Cyclopses lead the lizard down the tunnel, they peer around for any sight of an ambush, but their gaze passes right over the new "rock" that recently appeared. The Eladrin who had called out the initial alert stays very still (although his eyes do drift towards Aramil and Shep's hiding spot), and maintains a very stoic demeanor. The second, twitchy Eladrin keeps giving meaningful grunts and head gestures towards where the Monk and Swordmage are hidden, but the guards don't pick up on the hint. After a few moments, they finally finish re-hitching the lizard. The stoic Eladrin nods in thanks, and takes the reins, but before he can do anything the twitchy Eladrin grabs them and shouts out: ""They're hiding right there! They're going to attack us!" and cracks the reins, sending the lizard running full speed back towards the gate with the cart behind it.

OOC: Since the PCs are aware of what's going on and the enemies aren't, everyone has a standard action that they can take in the surprise round before the first round of combat. Technically, the Cyclopses/Fomorian haven't realized the deception yet, so combat is not necessarily guaranteed at the moment. (but I figure it's likely, so the map/key is included below)

MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

KEY:
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    Zyrr - F10
    Shep - O34
    Aramil - N33
    Eltain - E11
    Lucan - D12
    Pavick - Z3

Fomorian Slaver - M16
    Winter Eladrin - K27, L27
    Cyclops Hunter - I31, Q16
    Cyclops Hurler - E18
    Cyclops Farm Guard - G16, I12, O10, R5, O29

(OOC: Since everything is large or bigger, I'm just going to list one of the squares the creature is in, rather than lots of K-M/16-17 type locations, because that's confusing)

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Perception checks from the Cyclopses, full post to follow
    (1d20+9)[19]
    (1d20+7)[14]
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-18 at 10:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #464

Hearing the shouts of alarm, Zyrr knows the ruse and preparation time have both come to an end. But the drow thinks of one last preparation. A hand brushes by his belt, and out pops a small turquoise gemstone onto the stairs behind him. Upon rolling to a stop, the gemstone seems to glimmer in what little light shines on it. The hand then rises to his mouth. "Hey! We got a good deal on those guards, anyone that hurts them answers to me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Using a standard action to drop a Shockpatch (Lightning Blastpatch) in square E10.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Consumable * Lightning. Standard Action.
    You apply blastpatch to an adjacent unoccupied square. When a creature moves into that square, the blastpatch makes an attack against the creature as an immediate reaction: +7 vs Reflex; on a hit, the target takes damage and suffers effects depending on the blastpatch:
    *Shockpatch: 1d8 lightning damage, and the target is immobilized until the beginning of its next turn, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of its next turn.
    Blastpatch can be detected with a DC 20 Perception check. A creature that flies or jumps over the square does not trigger the blastpatch.

Then, attempting an Intimidate check to at least confuse and stall the guards a bit longer. Intimidate - (1d20+14)[17]

(Edit)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming combat breaks out, Zyrr will use a free action to draw his cold iron dagger, , a minor action to apply Carrion Crawler Brain Juice to it, a move action to move to I11, and a standard action to use Poisoned Dagger a melee basic attack on the adjacent Farm Guard.

Attack: 17. Damage: 8+6=14 normal
    Last edited by Toric; 2011-02-16 at 01:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf Drow Bard

"What's going on?" Lucan asks the Fomorian. "Are we under attack?" He draws his bow, just in case.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I use my surprise round action to draw my bow and look around confusedly.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2011-02-16 at 12:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #466

His shepherd senses ringing in his ears, the Shepherd watched the approaching cyclopses with unseen eyes under his cloak. He frowns, stroking his beard in thought. Staying put would be a very bad idea if the cyclopses started poking around with those large sausage-fingers. He signaled to Aramil to follow his footsteps, and began to inch forwards after the cart.

Stealth (still factoring in the -2 for having Aramil with him): (1d20+12)[29]

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Fomorian looks back at Lucan. "Possibly. Keep your guard up, and if you try anything I'll use you for fertilizer." he growls, and turns his attention back to the Eladrin on the cart.

The lizard pulls the cart into the compound, and the two Winter Fey jump off. The twitchy one points back frantically. "An Eladrin and a... rock-person-thing attacked us back there. They're hiding in the tunnel!" The second Eladrin gives a scowl of frustration, but nods in verification.

"Alright then. You two," the Fomorian points to the Winter Fey, "Get up to the house and stay there until I come for you. You two," he points to two of the farm guards, "Get out there with the others and see if you can find anything."

The eladrin run past the fake-drow and up the stairs (just barely missing the trap that Zyrr set out, luckily). The Cyclopses move out into the tunnels to join their comrades, and begin poking around.
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Basically, they'll need a nat 20 on their perception to find Shep
    (1d20)[20]
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d20)[1]

As they search, it appears that the Winter Fey were lying as the tunnel appears to be completely empty. One of the Cyclopses pauses, and leans against a near by boulder to rest for a moment.

And the boulder grunts.

There's some shouting and cursing, and suddenly Aramil and Shep find themselves at the wrong end of 4 very sharp spear points.

One who looks to be in charge steps up, "'Ere now, who the bloody hells are you?"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-16 at 03:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Up until they were found, Aramil was quite amused by the situation. It wasn't what he had planned as he assaulted the cart, but it works out pretty well for him just the same. Except that now there's enough large eyeballs standing around him to outfit an Ettin, the situation is no longer quite as controlled as he thought it could be. Aramil makes a note that one of the winter Eladrin will be easy enough to interrogate later on.

He keeps his voice low, loud enough that the cyclopes around him should be able to hear (unless they're as hard of hearing as they are monocular), but too quiet for those in the compound to hear. "I am not someone who would be safe for you to deal with in this way. I am a warrior, trained for battle. You are guards, enslaved by a wicked farmer. If you kill me, will it be without your own bloodshed? And if not, will your lives be any better off if you attack us rather than letting us fight against your master?"
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-02-16 at 06:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The guards all look at each other. "He's a cheeky little bastard, yeah?" the head guard states, eyeing Aramil with a bit of respect. "If you want to speak with my master, I think that can be arranged..."

He prods the pair with the butt of his spear back towards the main gate. "Hey boss, this little blighter wants to speak with you!" he calls out.

OOC: If Aramil and Shep let them, the Cyclops will lead them inside the farm. Are you going to go along, or resist?

20. - Top - End - #470

As the Eladrin walk by, Zyrr is too busy admiring the layout of the cavern to notice them. Looking ceiling-ward, he takes a few sidesteps as the Eladrin walk by and brushes by one of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just because it's too good to pass up, Thievery - (1d20+15)[29] to pick a pocket.
    Last edited by Toric; 2011-02-16 at 09:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Adventures in Fallcrest - IC - Part III [4E]g

DM Post

The Eladrin is too busy scowling at the drow who had the audacity to bump into I'm that he forgets to keep an eye on the drow's hands. Zyrr fishes out a small token as wide as the length of Zyrr's middle finger. The disk feels to be made of metal, and is unnaturally chilly to the touch. There appears to be a figure engraved on it, but you'd need to spend some time examining it to get a better feel as to its purpose.

ooc : opposed perception (1d20+11)[15]
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-18 at 09:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Slave

Upon seeing the tense situation transpiring at the gates, Pavick quickly ducks down between the rows of the fields. He wanted to stay to watch at least until the immediate threat passed.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth - (1d20+12)[30]

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    OOC: If Aramil and Shep let them, the Cyclops will lead them inside the farm. Are you going to go along, or resist?
    This is exactly what Aramil wants. He's going to go along.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Aramil and Shep are lead into the main compound, and the gate shuts with a *clang* behind them. The Fomorian strides over as the guards keep the pair at spear point. "Care to tell me why you're attacking my customers? Keep in mind that your answer will determine if you have a swift death, a long, painful death, or simply a life of servitude." The huge creature bends down, so that its deformed eye is almost level with Shep's head.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-17 at 01:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475

It is maddening. The Shepherd's arm twitches. The eye is so close. He wanted to poke it so very badly. But he didn't. Perhaps his agitation caused his current hasty train of thought. Perhaps it shook his normally stony resolve and addled his calm center of focus.

"I don't think I like either of those choices. And, to be honest, it is very strange that you are selling poison to naughty goats that will probably betray you the moment you look over the wrong cliff face. If I were you, I would be more concerned about them than about two lone shepherds hiding under a cloak."

Or perhaps the Shepherd was finally learning to be a magnificent bastard.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

"I don't know what a goat is, but it sounds stupid." The Fomorian straightens, and glances back at the drow before turning back to the Goliath. "And you're in no position to question my business decisions." He keeps his good eye on Shep, as the deformed eye scans the Swordmage. "What about you. What do you have to say for yourself?"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-17 at 02:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I think you gravely underestimate us and the loyalty your guards have to one who treats them no better than the tiny slaves they watch over. I have friends in high places on the surface, and if these cyclopes decided that they wished to bleed the being that bled them, I'm sure that they would be rewarded when I relate the tale."

Aramil shrugs and adds "Of course, I'd like to see you try to keep me disarmed. Even if you do enslave me, I'd be out and about the next day anyway."

28. - Top - End - #478

There is a strange expression fixed on the Shepherd's face, carved into the rock. It might be a smile, if not for the fact the Shepherd smiled often--this didn't look like the Shepherd was smiling. His mouth was curved upwards, his dark eyes cold in the dim light; the tips of his fingers tapping against those of the other hand in front of him. The position of the Shepherd's mouth widened, opening his mouth just the barest of cracks.

"Goats are what?"

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Fomorian stares at Aramil for a long minute, and glances at the Cyclopses around him, a few of which are snickering. The Fomorian smiles, a mouth filled with sharp, orange teeth. "I accept your challenge."

The Fomorian suddenly turns back to the swordmage as a huge fist flies through the air and smashes into Aramil's face. There is a sickening crunch as the Fomorian's fist breaks the Eladrin's nose, and the Fomorian gives a cruel laugh as he pulls out a scourge. (15 damage)

"Let's see how much fight you've got in you..."

MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Everyone but Shep & Aramil will get combat advantage for the first round

Initiative:
    Zyrr - F10
    Shep - J16
    Aramil - K16 - (15 damage)
    Eltain - E11
    Lucan - D12
    Pavick - Y5

Fomorian Slaver - M16
    Cyclops Hunter - I18, Q16
    Cyclops Hurler - E18
    Cyclops Farm Guard - G16, K18, O10, R8, M16

Attack:
    Spoiler
    Show

vs. Aramil's AC: (1d20+14)[32]
    (2d12+4)[15]
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-02-18 at 02:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #480

The Shepherd - 67/67 HP resist 5 all, AC 27, Fort 20, Reflex 23, Will 21

The Shepherd has no further words, there was nothing left to say. Curling his hand into a tight fist, he plunged it deep into the earth below him, sending a rolling shock wave coursing through the cavern floor, the stone errupting in great fissures.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Masterful Spiral
    Attack vs. Formorian's Reflex: (1d20+13)[16]
    Attack vs. Farm Guard's Reflex: (1d20+13)[19]
    Attack vs. Farm Guard's Reflex: (1d20+13)[21]
    Attack vs. Hunter's Reflex: (1d20+13)[22]
    Damage: (3d8+12)[27] plus (1d6)[1] poison damage, half on miss, and my reach with melee touch attacks increases by 1 as long as I stay in the Spiral Stance.

Move: Shift to K15

Free: Stone Fist Flurry of Blows for 6 more damage against the Formorian.

Minor: Stone's Endurance
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2011-02-17 at 05:43 PM.