New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default A rogue gestalt question

My girlfriend really wants to create a gestalt character using a rogue but enable it to be more of a front liner, so I suggested the ToB melee classes. So my question is which class would be a better fit for her, personally I think the war blade would work nicely since it uses INT for class features. Also what feats would you recommend to optimize this character?
    Blarg...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A rogue gestalt question

I don't have TOB. However, Warblade or Swordsage sound right- unless she's going for a paladin trickster thing, don't go for Crusader.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    My girlfriend really wants to create a gestalt character using a rogue but enable it to be more of a front liner, so I suggested the ToB melee classes. So my question is which class would be a better fit for her, personally I think the war blade would work nicely since it uses INT for class features. Also what feats would you recommend to optimize this character?
    Any of them would work. Swordage is good for rogue-friendly class features (especially +wis in light armor), and gets Rogueish maneuvers, but doesn't get the BAB. Warblade gets good hitdice and BAB, but few of the maneuvers really play in that well to a traditional Rogue fighting style. Same with Crusader, really.

I'd pick Warblade if she wants a powerful melee character who can also do what a Rogue does, and I'd pick Swordsage if she wants a Rogue who can also fight.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2010-11-18 at 03:50 PM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

4. - Top - End - #4

The only reason why I shy away from swordsage is because in order to use the added WIS mod to AC you need to have a decent WIS which doesn't synergize very well with a rogues stats (WIS is usually a dump stat for my rogues)
    Blarg...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I suggest a Scout or Swashbuckler. Both pander to Rogue's flavor and both benefit highly from Rogue's SA.

Swashbuckler with EWP: Spiked Chain can SA from 10' away, without feat cheese (Willing Deformity: Tall & Unnatural Reach)

Scout and Rogue both boost damage, so for a mobile SA-er, skirmished SA is almost like getting it twice! Use TWF, move 10' with each attack (5 out, 5 in) and smile for 20d6x2x# of attacks, dictated by your attack bonus
    Current Avatar:
    Captain Roy Valiant by Lord Fullbladder

Former Avatars:
    Deepwyrm Drow Warblade by gurgleflep
    Kakashi Avatar by Dispozition
    Draenei Spellbreaker by KaptainKrutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Anecronwashere View Post
    Cleric: Right, I cast Infict Serious Wounds on that guy.
    DM: Sorry, you kissed too many babies this week, you heal him instead
    Cleric: Quick! Someone find me a dog to kick

6. - Top - End - #6

I don't like gestalting it with a scout because in order to use skirmish you need to move at least 10 ft, thus preventing a full attack and no purpose to TWF. Also they only have a medium BAB thus too much overlap for my liking.
    Blarg...

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    The only reason why I shy away from swordsage is because in order to use the added WIS mod to AC you need to have a decent WIS which doesn't synergize very well with a rogues stats (WIS is usually a dump stat for my rogues)
    1) Even if your Wis is only 12, that's still free AC.

2) Even if your Wis is only 10, a +2 Wis item is cheaper than upgrading your armor from a +2 to a +3, and grants considerable benefits elsewhere (namely, Will saves, Spot, Listen, and Sense Motive).

3) Rogues are nowhere near MAD. Most builds don't have any use for Str, many have no use for Cha, and Int is debatable - they've got an awesome skill list, yes, but they already have more starting skillpoints than anyone else in the game, so really they get proportionately less benefit out of Int than... just about anyone else. It's only the expectation that they'll have max ranks in every skill that's the problem.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Go Warblade//Rogue and pick up tiger claw maneuvers for two weapon fighting. Also time stands still, white raven tactics and stormguard warrior for the obligatory combat rhythm/white raven tactics/raging mongoose and time stands still combo while two weapon fighting with a speed weapon for 24 attacks at +40+10d6+int mod damage while flanking.