New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: The Swift Slayer [3.5 base class] PEACH appreciated

I like the idea, but Death Step is really abuseable and makes the class too good as a dip. It's like a scaling, more flexive Shadow Jaunt. I really really like the idea but this seems too powerful. Maybe you could make so that, at 1st level, you need a full-round action to shadow step and make a single melee attack.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    I like the idea, but Death Step is really abuseable and makes the class too good as a dip. It's like a scaling, more flexive Shadow Jaunt. I really really like the idea but this seems too powerful. Maybe you could make so that, at 1st level, you need a full-round action to shadow step and make a single melee attack.
    That's already true.
    At first level he may do this once per round, as a move action.
    This allows for a single standard action, i.e. attack.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Antigamer View Post
    That's already true.

This allows for a single standard action, i.e. attack.
    Yes, but then you can use a strike. With my suggestion, you are restricted to a vanilla melee attack.

Also, I believe this class should get a lot less maneuvers/level than it does. The only other ToB class with access to teleportation has the worst bab on the book and only gets it at level 3. If I could play a class with this class features, access to two disciplines and one or two less maneuvers per day I'd already be pretty satisfied.

I really liked this, so I made it an in-depth analysis.

Class Skills:
    Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (One of your choice) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sleight Of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)[/CLOSE]
    That... seems a little too much. Maybe if you had some specific fluff the bolded skills would be justifiable, but as is, they don't seem to fit. The fluff, at least that in my mind, is that of a martial adept that focuses on speed over anything else. I just don't see the bolded skills adding anything to that.
    You might want to add Martial Lore.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier
    I think this is a bit too much. 6 points per level is for classes really focused on skill. The swift slayer is focused on combat. He is trickster warrior, but he is a warrior first. See the swashbuckler and the barbarian - they fit the same archetype and get 4/level.

Maneuvers:
    You begin your career with knowledge of three martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to you are Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw, plus one additional of your choice, chosen at first level. He gains the key skill of his chosen discipline as a class skill if he does not have it already.
    This I disagree with. See, the class as you put it is simply better than the classes in Tome of Battle. The class features are really really good, the chassis is not so bad (it's a Swordsage with full bab), you gain proficiency with ranged weapons (Warblades don't) and you also get to pick a discipline. This is a choice none of the ToB classes have.
    Most homebrewed disciplines include an 'access option' like spending skill points, XP or a feat, so I would leave the Swift Slayer with only Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw. Maybe even swap Shadow Hand for Diamond Mind, since it deals more with speed. The Slow Down class feature has a lot in common with Time Stands Still.

Maneuvers Readied:
    You can ready all of your maneuvers known at 1st level, and as you advance in level and learn more maneuvers, you are able to ready more, but you must still choose which maneuvers to ready. Your ready your maneuvers by meditating for 5 minutes.
    This is more Diamond Mind flavour, btw.

You may recover a single expended maneuver by staying in the same space for a round. You may not switch stances or initiate any maneuvers the round you wish to recover a maneuver.
    I really like this recovery method, I just thought I'd say that.

Death Step (Ex):
    Ah, this is it: the class feature that is the core to the swift slayer class.
    The swift slayer has disassociated his movements so much from reality that existance just barely manages to acknowledge that he has moved at all.
    I really like the way you put this. I like how you avoided the Shadow Jaunt text here (as in, teleports that require line of sight and line of effect). This means skills like Climb and Tumble are still important for a Swift Slayer.

This ability uses a move action, and is almost exactly similar to regular movement except that he may ignore all difficult terrain and any obstacles so long as he has line of sight to the area. He may not pass through solid matter, or an effect such as Force Wall.
    I don't really get this. If he can't go through solid matter, how does he ignore all difficult terrain and obstacles? If you are going for a more mudane 'very fast' thing here, I think you should make so that the Swift Slayer does not ignore obstacles or anything; he needs to circumvent them. Difficult terrain would still allow him to use this ability, he would only do it at half speed (as usual).
    This ability does not trigger attacks of opportunity, even if he passes through someone's threatened space.
    This I dislike. You just made the Tumble skill useless. Perhaps the Swift Slayer could gain an effect similar to Quicksilver Boots - 20% miss chance on all attacks of opportunity. I wouldn't give this ability at this level, though.
    He may not use this ability when grappled, unless he succeeds at an opposed grapple or escape artist check.
    You should just say he can't use this while grappled. He needs to escape the grapple to use Death Step and he needs a grapple/escape artist check to do so.

At fourth level he gains an additional use as a swift action, once per round.
    See, what I dislike here is that you cramped a lot of power into the first level of Death Step and then only the action you need to perform it increases. Remember that miss chance on attacks of opportunity I mentioned earlier? That would be a nice level to gain it.
    At eight level he gains an additional use as a free action, once per round.
    Here, things start going crazy. That's too much death steps! This guy is now D&D's Road Runner! Nothing will be as fast as him - he can run as a full-round action to move 4x his speed, then he death steps as a free action for another time his speed and then he death steps as a swift action for another time his speed. This guy just moved 6x his speed (which gets enhancements), 7x if the took the Run feat. If he is a xeph, with xeph celerity and fast movement, his base speed would be 70. That means 490ft without spending any expandable resources. No class can do anything similar - wizards need their higher level spell to cast something that move that far (it moves even farther and has no restrictions, bu that's wizards we are talking about).
    So it just seems too much, really. Instead of giving additional death steps, I think you should give additional abilities. Maybe some kind of Hide in Plain Sight while moving, walking over water, that kind of thing.

For example if a swift slayer of eighth level was twenty feet away from an opponent who was over a ledge ten feet wide, he may death step to his opponent, full attack, then death step up to his base land speed away. If he used a standard action attack instead of a full attack, he could then death step one more time(using his move death step)
    Your example already says why this is too much. You can go in, take no attacks of opportunity, hit him with whatever you got best and get out. No actual resource expenses. That's too much. Really.

Trackless Speed (Ex):
    A swift slayer leaves no tracks.
    You could use the full text of the Trackless Step feature here.

Bonus Feats:
    At 2nd level, and every 5 levels thereafter, a swift slayer gains a bonus feat from the following list. He must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.
    Man, that's a bit soon. This class gains better class features than Warblades and they have to wait until 5th level for their first bonus feat...
    Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Darkstalker, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Many Shot, Weapon Finesse.
    ...and their bonus feat list is a lot worst. See, I wouldn't change your feat list though, because Warblade's bonus feat list is the one that should use some love. If you do use my option of removing maneuvers known/readied and discipline access, I'd add Martial Study/Stance to the bonus feat list.

Fast Movement (Ex):
    The swift slayer's speed is supernaturally quick. His land speed increases by +10 feet.
    I really think this should be a part of death step. You gain increasingly higher speed.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
    (...) Starting at 3rd level(...).

Evasion (Ex):
    At 3rd level and higher, (...)
    That's a lot of cookies for a single level. You should spread this a little. No full base attack class gains those so fast and no class actually gets uncanny dodge before 4th, IIRC.

Improved Death Step (Ex):
    At 7th level the swift slayer's death step becomes even more deadly. Now, the swift slayer does not immediately become visible after making a death step. However, he will still become visible if he attacks a foe, and he becomes visible at the end of his turn (unless he becomes invisible from a different source). This class feature also allows the swift slayer to touch one willing being and move them with him when he death steps.
    I think this is too powerful. First, I think hide in plain sight works a lot better, since you have to hide (with a penalty due to movement/attacking) and thus can be detected (and those very fast guys in fiction are always eventually detected). Secondly, I think the swift slayer should have to carry that person and it would to be a light load.

Acrobatics (Ex):
    A swift slayer of eighth level has taken his physical fitness to new heights. He gains +5 bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Tumble checks and may use his death step to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if he begins and ends his move on a horizontal surface.
    I like the skill bonus. I just think the wall walking is a bit too powerful. It should work more like Up the Walls (the psionic feat), IMHO.

Swift Appraisal(Ex):
    The swift slayer add his Intelligence bonus to his Initiative.
    You should add the level in which the abilities are gained. A little fluff would be welcome as well.

Blurred Step (Ex):
    The swift slayer's sheer speed makes him extremely difficult to track in combat starting at 11th level. On any turn when he uses his death step, the swift slayer's form appears to waver and shift, and he gains 20% concealment as if he was affected by a blur spell.
    As I said before, I think it should apply to attacks of opportunity around level 4. During the whole round seems nice enough at level 11.
    This effect lasts until the beginning of his next turn. In addition, the Improved Death Step's invisibility is now not counteracted by See Invisibility spell, but it is counteracted by a True Seeing spell.At 15th level, the blur effect cannot be counteracted with a true-seeing spell.
    I think this is too much. Also if you do change invisibility for hide in plain sight, you don't need this, as divinations can't do squat about Hide.

Gravity Defying Speed (Ex):
    At 12th level the swift slayer is no longer bound by gravity. His death step is treated as flight if he wishes, and if he ends movement in the air, he may hover there for two rounds before he starts to fall.
    Dunno. This is level apropriate but sounds like too much. I like the flavor, don't get me wrong, but an actual flight speed seems too much, specially if it's unlimited. Levitate as a spell-like ability (triggered by a swift action, even) maybe a number of times per day equal to your Int or Dex modifier would be better, IMHO.

Aggressive Death Step (Ex):
    At 14th level, the swift slayer gains the ability to take an unwilling being with him when he death steps if he chooses. He must either be grappling the being, or make a touch attack against it. The being makes a will-saving throw, with a DC equal to 10+1/2 the swift slayer's level+his Dex modifier. If he fails, he is transported with the swift slayer, arriving in a square within 5 feet of where the swift slayer arrives. (If they are grappling, they remain grappling when they arrive)
    First, I don't think you should allow it on a touch attack. Too powerful. Also... a will saving throw? I thought this was not a teleport!
    Also, I think this should work more like bull rush, except the Swift Slayer can change direction and would gain a bonus based on how much he moved before hitting the victim (say, +1 or +2 per square).

Slow Down
    The swift slayer's perception is fast and detail-oriented, to keep up with his break-neck speed.
    I think 'neck breaking speed' sounds a lot better. I love this ability, btw.
    [QUOTE=The Antigamer;9795352]
    • Gains a number of temporary HP equal to his HD. The use of this ability lasts for three rounds and doesn't stack with temporary HP from any other source or with itself.
    • Gain +2d6 insight bonus to damage on all attacks next round.
    • Gain +2 to attack on all attack rolls during the following round.
    • Gain +2 Dodge bonus to AC during the following round.
    • If there is an unwanted effect upon him whose duration is measured in rounds, make another saving throw against the effect to remove it if it originally granted a save.

I think you should change 'next round' to 'until the end of the next round'. Slow Down requires no action, only that you don't move (actually, maybe you should require a swift action here - heck, make it a move action, it fits the flavor and you can also change stances) and this would allow you to benefit from it at the same round you use it.
    I'd increase the dodge bonus to AC, btw. I just don't see anyone using it as it is.
    Freedom of Speed (Ex):
    At 17th level, a swift slayer acts as if he is permanently under the effect of a freedom of movement spell.
    17th level is 17th level so I think this is ok.

Unknown Movement (Ex):
    A swift slayer is practically undetectable in his steps. He can't be detected by blindsight, touch sight, or tremor sense unless a successful spot check is made opposed to the swift slayer's hide check.
    Why did you even bother with Darkstalker as a bonus feat, then? I think this is unnecessary.

Deadly Speed(Ex):
    At 20th level, the swift slayer gains the ability use a burst of superhuman speed to take two turns worth of actions in one round once per combat encounter. Following the use of Deadly Speed, the swift slayer must succeed a Fortitude save (DC 30) or become fatigued for 1d4+1 rounds.
    I love it, awesome capstone. I just think consequences should be harsher - I'm thinking Rock Lee here. Maybe ability damage, daze instead (or in addition to) fatigue. Also, I'd make it a Constitution check (DC 20) instead of a Fortitude save... or maybe remove the check.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-12-16 at 10:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Yes, but then you can use a strike. With my suggestion, you are restricted to a vanilla melee attack.
    But I'm ok with that, I think using a strike after death stepping is a good feature. However, I may make it so you can't use a strike immediately after death-stepping until later in the class.

Also, I believe this class should get a lot less maneuvers/level than it does. The only other ToB class with access to teleportation has the worst bab on the book and only gets it at level 3. If I could play a class with this class features, access to two disciplines and one or two less maneuvers per day I'd already be pretty satisfied.
    Hmmm, I was thinking of making it two disciplines. I'm not sure about the less maneuvers/stances though. Right now, it has the warblade's capacity, but is only able to recover a single maneuver each round, instead of all of them. I'm not really sure that dropping maneuvers known/readied would be all that wise. However, I could make maneuvers readied drop a tad, and then say that he's based on swiftly taking care of business, and prolonged battles aren't his forte. However, I like the versatility of multiple readied maneuvers. With lower maneuvers per encounter, everyone defaults to the only ever using the highest damaging maneuver every time.

I really liked this, so I made it an in-depth analysis.
    Thanks, I'll dive right into it, before I start editing the class again.

Skills
    Yes, skills need adjustment, I haven't changed them since the first concept. My problem is, I've always thought that all classes should get more skills than they do, but I need to pare it down for public usage. Also, smacking my forehead at forgetting martial lore.

This I disagree with. See, the class as you put it is simply better than the classes in Tome of Battle. The class features are really really good, the chassis is not so bad (it's a Swordsage with full bab), you gain proficiency with ranged weapons (Warblades don't) and you also get to pick a discipline. This is a choice none of the ToB classes have.
    Most homebrewed disciplines include an 'access option' like spending skill points, XP or a feat, so I would leave the Swift Slayer with only Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw. Maybe even swap Shadow Hand for Diamond Mind, since it deals more with speed. The Slow Down class feature has a lot in common with Time Stands Still.
    I think I will have them only get two disciplines, but make them both be player's choice. I really like allowing for customization, and I think highly of a lot of homebrew disciplines. The chasis is not a swordsage, they get the same maneuvers known/readied as a warblade
    I usually allow ToB classes to trade out a discipline for free anyway.

This is more Diamond Mind flavour, btw.
    The meditating for five minutes thing is a placeholder for now, I'm trying to figure out exactly how I want them to prepare the maneuvers. The meditation is based on the same reasoning as their maneuver recovery method.

I really like this recovery method, I just thought I'd say that.
    Yeah, when SurleySeraph suggested it, I was like, "Yes, that!"

I really like the way you put this. I like how you avoided the Shadow Jaunt text here (as in, teleports that require line of sight and line of effect). This means skills like Climb and Tumble are still important for a Swift Slayer.
    Yes, he actually moves over the distance, he does not teleport. He's just able to avoid certain obstacles, like rough terrain or pits, kind've like how the roadrunner manages to speed over cliffs

I don't really get this. If he can't go through solid matter, how does he ignore all difficult terrain and obstacles? If you are going for a more mudane 'very fast' thing here, I think you should make so that the Swift Slayer does not ignore obstacles or anything; he needs to circumvent them. Difficult terrain would still allow him to use this ability, he would only do it at half speed (as usual).
    It's impossible for him to pass through solid matter because he can't fool reality quite that much.

This I dislike. You just made the Tumble skill useless. Perhaps the Swift Slayer could gain an effect similar to Quicksilver Boots - 20% miss chance on all attacks of opportunity. I wouldn't give this ability at this level, though.
    You know, this is a true thing that I hadn't thought of, thank you. I believe I'll implement something like you suggested.

You should just say he can't use this while grappled. He needs to escape the grapple to use Death Step and he needs a grapple/escape artist check to do so.
    I'll change the wording.

See, what I dislike here is that you cramped a lot of power into the first level of Death Step and then only the action you need to perform it increases. Remember that miss chance on attacks of opportunity I mentioned earlier? That would be a nice level to gain it.
    Hmmm, I think I see what you're getting at here.

Here, things start going crazy. That's too much death steps! This guy is now D&D's Road Runner! Nothing will be as fast as him - he can run as a full-round action to move 4x his speed, then he death steps as a free action for another time his speed and then he death steps as a swift action for another time his speed. This guy just moved 6x his speed (which gets enhancements), 7x if the took the Run feat. If he is a xeph, with xeph celerity and fast movement, his base speed would be 70. That means 490ft without spending any expandable resources. No class can do anything similar - wizards need their higher level spell to cast something that move that far (it moves even farther and has no restrictions, bu that's wizards we are talking about).
    So it just seems too much, really. Instead of giving additional death steps, I think you should give additional abilities. Maybe some kind of Hide in Plain Sight while moving, walking over water, that kind of thing.
    This has given me things to think about. Death Step will be adjusted, and you can see how the new ability compares.

You could use the full text of the Trackless Step feature here.
    I will do so.

Man, that's a bit soon. This class gains better class features than Warblades and they have to wait until 5th level for their first bonus feat...
    I think I'm going to move around bonus feats a bit, as I adjust Death Step.

...and their bonus feat list is a lot worst. See, I wouldn't change your feat list though, because Warblade's bonus feat list is the one that should use some love. If you do use my option of removing maneuvers known/readied and discipline access, I'd add Martial Study/Stance to the bonus feat list.
    The bonus feat least was just thrown together, and I'll adjust it in the next revision.

I really think this should be a part of death step. You gain increasingly higher speed.
    This is a good point.

That's a lot of cookies for a single level. You should spread this a little. No full base attack class gains those so fast and no class actually gets uncanny dodge before 4th, IIRC.
    Damn, I didn't change the wording. They're correct on the table, Uncanny Dodge at 4th, Evasion at 5th.

I think this is too powerful. First, I think hide in plain sight works a lot better, since you have to hide (with a penalty due to movement/attacking) and thus can be detected (and those very fast guys in fiction are always eventually detected). Secondly, I think the swift slayer should have to carry that person and it would to be a light load.
    I think I'll have it be Hide in Plain Sight, and then later have it change to invisibility. I don't think I'll change it to have to carry the person, allowing for a quick transportation of someone in danger. I may make it so that he can only Death Step with a person once per round, however.

I like the skill bonus. I just think the wall walking is a bit too powerful. It should work more like Up the Walls (the psionic feat), IMHO.
    Isn't it already basically Up the Walls?

You should add the level in which the abilities are gained. A little fluff would be welcome as well.
    Adding levels to each class I'll do in the next edit, fluff will come shortly after the nest revision.

I think this is too much. Also if you do change invisibility for hide in plain sight, you don't need this, as divinations can't do squat about Hide.
    This is true. Hmmm, maybe I'll give Hide bonuses at this level instead.

Dunno. This is level apropriate but sounds like too much. I like the flavor, don't get me wrong, but an actual flight speed seems too much, specially if it's unlimited. Levitate as a spell-like ability (triggered by a swift action, even) maybe a number of times per day equal to your Int or Dex modifier would be better, IMHO.
    They're going to get flight as an item in that case, which would defeat the ability. We'll see how balanced you think it is after the Death Step revision.

First, I don't think you should allow it on a touch attack. Too powerful. Also... a will saving throw? I thought this was not a teleport!
    Also, I think this should work more like bull rush, except the Swift Slayer can change direction and would gain a bonus based on how much he moved before hitting the victim (say, +1 or +2 per square).
    *nods* Good point, I was just trying to come up with a flavorful ability.

I think you should change 'next round' to 'until the end of the next round'. Slow Down requires no action, only that you don't move (actually, maybe you should require a swift action here - heck, make it a move action, it fits the flavor and you can also change stances) and this would allow you to benefit from it at the same round you use it.
    I'd increase the dodge bonus to AC, btw. I just don't see anyone using it as it is.
    Changing it to a move action actually sounds like a good idea, as does 'until the end of the next round'. Duly noted on increasing it.

17th level is 17th level so I think this is ok.
    Yeah, i think it fits, too

Why did you even bother with Darkstalker as a bonus feat, then? I think this is unnecessary.
    True point. I'll consider it in the edit.

I love it, awesome capstone. I just think consequences should be harsher - I'm thinking Rock Lee here. Maybe ability damage, daze instead (or in addition to) fatigue. Also, I'd make it a Constitution check (DC 20) instead of a Fortitude save... or maybe remove the check.
    Glad you like it. I'm not sure about the higher penalties, but a constitution check might be more apt, and harder to pass.

Thanks for such an in-depth review, I'll consider your words very carefully as I edit later tonight.

5. - Top - End - #35

Previous Version
    Spoiler
    Show
    This class is based on Zenanarchist's Hunter-Slayer class that he didn't get a chance to complete. I really liked Death Step as a feature, and I wanted to make a class based around speed. This is my first homebrew base class.

The Swift Slayer
    {table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Death Step, Maneuvers|3|3|1

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Trackless Speed, Bonus feat|4|3|1

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Fast Movement|5|3|1

4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Uncanny Dodge|5|4|2

5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Evasion|6|4|2

6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Improved Death Step|6|4|2

7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Bonus Feat|7|4|2

8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Acrobatics|7|5|2

9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge|8|5|2

10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Swift Appraisal|8|5|3

11th|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3|Blurred Step|9|5|3

12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|Gravity Defying Speed|9|5|3

13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4|Bonus Feat|10|6|3

14th|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4|Aggressive Death Step|10|6|3

15th|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5|Improved Evasion|11|6|3

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Slow Down|11|6|4

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Freedom of Speed|12|6|4

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Bonus Feat|12|6|4

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Unknown Movement|13|7|4

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Deadly Speed|14|7|4

[/table]
    Hit Die: d8

Class Skills:
    Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (One of your choice) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sleight Of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features

Spoiler
    Show
    Weapon and Armor proficiencies:
    The swift slayer is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor.

Maneuvers:
    You begin your career with knowledge of three martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to you are Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw, plus one additional of your choice, chosen at first level. He gains the key skill of his chosen discipline as a class skill if he does not have it already.

Once you know a maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it (see Maneuvers Readied below). A maneuver usable by a swift slayer is considered an extraordinary ability unless noted otherwise in its description. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you initiate one.

You learn additional maneuvers at higher levels, as shown on the table above. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite in order to learn it. See the table on page 39 of the Tome of Battle to determine the highest-level maneuvers you can learn.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered swift slayer level after that (6th, 8th, 10th, and so on), you can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one you already know. In effect, you can lose the old maneuver in exchange for the new one. You can chose a new maneuver of any level you like, as long as you observe your restriction on the highest-level maneuvers you know; you need not replace the old maneuver with a maneuver of the same level. For example, upon reaching 10th level, you could trade in a single 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd-, or 4th-level maneuver for a maneuver of 5th-level or lower, as long as you meet the prerequisite of the new maneuver. You can swap only a single maneuver at any given level.

Maneuvers Readied:
    You can ready all of your maneuvers known at 1st level, and as you advance in level and learn more maneuvers, you are able to ready more, but you must still choose which maneuvers to ready. Your ready your maneuvers by meditating for 5 minutes. The maneuvers you choose remain readied until you decide to meditate again and change them. You need not sleep or rest for any long period of time to ready your maneuvers; any time you spend 5 minutes in meditation, you can change your readied maneuvers.

You begin an encounter with all of your readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times you might have already used them since you chose them. When you initiate a maneuver, you expend it for the current encounter, so each of your readied maneuvers can be used once per encounter (unless you recover them, as described below).

You may recover a single expended maneuver by staying in the same space for a round. You may not switch stances or initiate any maneuvers the round you wish to recover a maneuver.

Stances Known:
    You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline you have access to. At 5th, 10th, and 16th level, you can choose additional stances. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and you do not have to ready them. All the stances you know are available to you at all times and you can change the stance you currently use as a swift action. A stance is an extraordinary ability unless noted otherwise in the stance description.

Unlike with new maneuvers you cannot learn a new stance at higher levels in place of one you already know.

Death Step (Ex):
    The swift slayer has disassociated his movements so much from reality that existance just barely manages to acknowledge that he has moved at all.

His primal speed carries him from one spot to another in the blink of an eye, ignoring nearly all obstacles and pitfalls in their way. This ability uses a move action, and is almost exactly similar to regular movement except that he may ignore all difficult terrain and any obstacles so long as he has line of sight to the area. He may not pass through solid matter, or an effect such as Force Wall. The swift slayer still actually moves through the area, so area effect spells, such as cloud kill, effect him as he passes through them. This ability does not trigger attacks of opportunity, even if he passes through someone's threatened space. He may not use this ability when grappled, unless he succeeds at an opposed grapple or escape artist check.
    At fourth level he gains an additional use as a swift action, once per round.
    At eight level he gains an additional use as a free action, once per round.
    At twelfth level he gains an additional use as a free action, once per round.
    Finally, at 16th level, gains one more additional use as a free action, once per round, for a total of 3 free Death Steps per round, one swift Death Step per round, and one move action Death Step per round.
    The swift slayer must still make move silently and hide checks while utilising this method of movement, even at later levels. He is not teleporting, merely moving faster than the eye can follow.
    The swift slayer may not perform this act of speed if he is wearing greater than light armor.

For example if a swift slayer of eighth level was twenty feet away from an opponent who was over a ledge ten feet wide, he may death step to his opponent, full attack, then death step up to his base land speed away. If he used a standard action attack instead of a full attack, he could then death step one more time(using his move death step)

Trackless Speed (Ex):
    A swift slayer leaves no tracks.

Bonus Feats:
    At 2nd level, and every 5 levels thereafter, a swift slayer gains a bonus feat from the following list. He must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.
    Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Darkstalker, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Many Shot, Weapon Finesse.

Fast Movement (Ex):
    The swift slayer's speed is supernaturally quick. His land speed increases by +10 feet.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
    The swift slayer has keen perception, allowing him to react swiftly to sudden danger. Starting at 3rd level, he retains his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) even when caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If the swift slayer already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Evasion (Ex):
    At 3rd level and higher, a swift slayer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the swift slayer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless swift slayer does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Death Step (Ex):
    At 7th level the swift slayer's death step becomes even more deadly. Now, the swift slayer does not immediately become visible after making a death step. However, he will still become visible if he attacks a foe, and he becomes visible at the end of his turn (unless he becomes invisible from a different source). This class feature also allows the swift slayer to touch one willing being and move them with him when he death steps.

Acrobatics (Ex):
    A swift slayer of eighth level has taken his physical fitness to new heights. He gains +5 bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Tumble checks and may use his death step to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if he begins and ends his move on a horizontal surface. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring his movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; he can change surfaces freely. If he ends his movement on a vertical surface, he must make a climb check to keep from sliding down. Additionally, any time the swift slayer falls and is within five feet of an uneven surface (cave wall, tree, broken brick wall) may slow his fall so that he takes 1 less die of falling damage for every two class levels of swift slayer he has.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): The swift slayer’s reaction time improves further, allowing him to evade attacks normally even when being attacked by multiple assailants. At level 8, the swift slayer can no longer be flanked. The swift slayer cannot be sneak attacked unless the attacker has four more effective rogue levels than the swift slayer has effective swift slayer levels. If the swift slayer has uncanny dodge from a different class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum effective rogue level an attacker must have to flank the character.

Swift Appraisal(Ex):
    The swift slayer add his Intelligence bonus to his Initiative.

Blurred Step (Ex):
    The swift slayer's sheer speed makes him extremely difficult to track in combat starting at 11th level. On any turn when he uses his death step, the swift slayer's form appears to waver and shift, and he gains 20% concealment as if he was affected by a blur spell. This effect lasts until the beginning of his next turn. In addition, the Improved Death Step's invisibility is now not counteracted by See Invisibility spell, but it is counteracted by a True Seeing spell.
    At 15th level, the blur effect cannot be counteracted with a true-seeing spell.

Gravity Defying Speed (Ex):
    At 12th level the swift slayer is no longer bound by gravity. His death step is treated as flight if he wishes, and if he ends movement in the air, he may hover there for two rounds before he starts to fall.

Aggressive Death Step (Ex):
    At 14th level, the swift slayer gains the ability to take an unwilling being with him when he death steps if he chooses. He must either be grappling the being, or make a touch attack against it. The being makes a will-saving throw, with a DC equal to 10+1/2 the swift slayer's level+his Dex modifier. If he fails, he is transported with the swift slayer, arriving in a square within 5 feet of where the swift slayer arrives. (If they are grappling, they remain grappling when they arrive)

Improved Evasion (Ex):
    This ability works like evasion, except that while the swift slayer still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless swift slayer does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Slow Down
    The swift slayer's perception is fast and detail-oriented, to keep up with his break-neck speed. When he slows down, however, his senses do not, making him quick at sizing up situations. Once per encounter, when the swift slayer stays in the same space for a round, he may take stock of his surroundings as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunities. He gains one of the following benefits:
    • Gains a number of temporary HP equal to his HD. The use of this ability lasts for three rounds and doesn't stack with temporary HP from any other source or with itself.
    • Gain +2d6 insight bonus to damage on all attacks next round.
    • Gain +2 to attack on all attack rolls during the following round.
    • Gain +2 Dodge bonus to AC during the following round.
    • If there is an unwanted effect upon him whose duration is measured in rounds, make another saving throw against the effect to remove it if it originally granted a save.

Freedom of Speed (Ex):
    At 17th level, a swift slayer acts as if he is permanently under the effect of a freedom of movement spell.

Unknown Movement (Ex):
    A swift slayer is practically undetectable in his steps. He can't be detected by blindsight, touch sight, or tremor sense unless a successful spot check is made opposed to the swift slayer's hide check.

Deadly Speed(Ex):
    At 20th level, the swift slayer gains the ability use a burst of superhuman speed to take two turns worth of actions in one round once per combat encounter. Following the use of Deadly Speed, the swift slayer must succeed a Fortitude save (DC 30) or become fatigued for 1d4+1 rounds.

Previous versions and changelog

Edited in the new class, this post is for keeping track of changes.
    This post took a long time, holidays got the best of me, but now I'm back in business.
    I edited the skills, changed death step, and tweaked class features. Traded invisibility for hide in plain site. I think it's looking pretty good.
    I would like feedback on Slow Down's bonuses, Ethereal Step, and Aggressive Step primarily, as well as any other criticisms, concerns, or compliments

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Alrighty.

The Swift Slayer
    {table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Death Step, Maneuvers|3|3|1

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Trackless Speed, Bonus feat|4|3|1

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Fast Movement|5|3|1

4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Uncanny Dodge, Blurred Step, Death Step(Swift)|5|4|2

5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Evasion|6|4|2

6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Hidden Step|6|4|2

7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Bonus Feat, Friendly Step|7|4|2

8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Acrobatics, Death Step(Free, 2/round)|7|5|2

9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge|8|5|2

10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Swift Appraisal|8|5|3

11th|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3|Improved Blurred Step|9|5|3

12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|Gravity Defying Step, Death Step(3/round)|9|5|3

13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4|Bonus Feat|10|6|3

14th|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4|Aggressive Step|10|6|3

15th|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5|Improved Evasion|11|6|3

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Slow Down, Death Step(4/round)|11|6|4

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Freedom of Speed|12|6|4

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Bonus Feat|12|6|4

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Ethereal Step|13|7|4

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Deadly Speed|14|7|4

[/table]
    Hit Die: d8

Class Skills:
    Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (One of your choice) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sleight Of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier
    Basic mechanics look alright, though full BAB seems a bit much for a class more focused around movement.

[SPOILER]Weapon and Armor proficiencies:
    The swift slayer is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor.
    Seems fine. Maybe an exotic weapon of their choice?

Maneuvers:
    You begin your career with knowledge of three martial maneuvers. A Swift Slayer chooses his maneuvers from two disciplines chosen at first level. He gains the key skill of his chosen discipline as a class skill if he does not have it already.

<standard maneuver rules cut>

Maneuvers Readied:
    You can ready all of your maneuvers known at 1st level, and as you advance in level and learn more maneuvers, you are able to ready more, but you must still choose which maneuvers to ready. Your ready your maneuvers by remaining motionless for 5 minutes. The maneuvers you choose remain readied until you decide to meditate again and change them. You need not sleep or rest for any long period of time to ready your maneuvers; any time you spend 5 minutes not moving, you can change your readied maneuvers.

You begin an encounter with all of your readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times you might have already used them since you chose them. When you initiate a maneuver, you expend it for the current encounter, so each of your readied maneuvers can be used once per encounter (unless you recover them, as described below).

I like the readying mechanic, but...I'm not sure about the recovery. One the one hand it seems kind of weak. Swordsage-esque, almost. On the other hand, you can still attack while you're doing this, you just can't move. I suppose it's all right, it just seems odd. The two disciplines thing is really, really limiting. I'd recommend allowing more disciplines from a limited list instead. Also, see my bit at the end about restructuring maneuvers.

Stances Known:
    You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline you have access to. At 5th, 10th, and 16th level, you can choose additional stances. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and you do not have to ready them. All the stances you know are available to you at all times and you can change the stance you currently use as a swift action. A stance is an extraordinary ability unless noted otherwise in the stance description.

Unlike with new maneuvers you cannot learn a new stance at higher levels in place of one you already know.
    Sounds good to me.

Death Step (Ex):

His primal speed carries him from one spot to another in the blink of an eye, ignoring nearly all obstacles and pitfalls in their way. This ability uses a move action, and is almost exactly similar to regular movement except that he may ignore all difficult terrain and any obstacles so long as he has line of sight to the area. He may not pass through solid matter, or an effect such as Force Wall. The swift slayer still actually moves through the area, so area effect spells, such as cloud kill, effect him as he passes through them. This ability does trigger attacks of opportunity, if he passes through someone's threatened space. He may not use this ability when grappled.
    At fourth level it only takes a swift action to Death Step
    At eight level it only takes a free action to Death Step, and from now on he treats his base land speed as 10' higher for the purpose of Death Step.
    At twelfth level he gains an additional use as a free action, once per round.
    Finally, at 16th level, gains one more additional use as a free action, once per round, for a total of 3 free Death Steps per round.
    The swift slayer must still make move silently and hide checks while utilising this method of movement, even at later levels. He is not teleporting, merely moving faster than the eye can follow.
    The swift slayer may not perform this act of speed if he is wearing greater than light armor.

For example if a swift slayer of eighth level was twenty feet away from an opponent who was over a ledge ten feet wide, he may death step to his opponent, and full attack.
    So he can move over obstacles and ignore difficult terrain, using swift actions to do it at later levels. Seems like a good tradeoff, though that's an impressive amount of movement at higher levels. Can he do this between attacks in a full attack like you can with 5-foot steps? If so you may want to tone down the movement a bit. Otherwise a very fun ability. It should probably be supernatural, though. It doesn't seem like something you could do from pure skill.

Trackless Speed (Ex):
    Starting at 2nd level, a Swift leaves no trail and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired, but he must move at 50% speed.
    Sounds fine.

Bonus Feats:
    Sounds fine, though Darkstalker's a pretty powerful feat to be putting in here for free.

Fast Movement (Ex):
    The swift slayer's speed is supernaturally quick. At third level his base land speed increases by +10 feet.
    Give the bonus a type (enhancement, preferably). Otherwise fits perfectly with the class.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
    The swift slayer has keen perception, allowing him to react swiftly to sudden danger. Starting at 4th level, he retains his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) even when caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If the swift slayer already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.
    Expected and good.

Blurred Step (Ex):
    Starting at 4th level, the swift slayer's form becomes a blurred shape when he death steps. He gains a 20% miss chance to attacks of opportunity that would be triggered by death step movement.
    A good situational ability.

Evasion (Ex):
    At 5th level and higher, a swift slayer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the swift slayer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless swift slayer does not gain the benefit of evasion.
    Good stuff.

Hidden Step (Ex):
    At 6th level the swift slayer's movement is so quick he becomes practically invisible. A swift slayer gains hide in plain sight (can use the Hide skill even while being observed) when he is Death Stepping, and for one round after a Death Step, or until the slayer attacks.
    Not sure how I feel about this. HiPS is powerful, even situationally like that. I'd recommend taking a second look at this.

Friendly Step (Ex);
    At 7th level, a swift slayer may take a willing being with him when he death steps.
    This should be fine.

Acrobatics (Ex):
    A swift slayer of eighth level has taken his physical fitness to new heights. He gains +5 bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Tumble checks and may use his death step to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if he begins and ends his move on a horizontal surface. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring his movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; he can change surfaces freely. If he ends his movement on a vertical surface, he must make a climb check to keep from sliding down. Additionally, any time the swift slayer falls and is within five feet of an uneven surface (cave wall, tree, broken brick wall) may slow his fall so that he takes 1 less die of falling damage for every two class levels of swift slayer he has.
    Getting pretty parkour-esque at this point, but alright. As long as it doesn't extend to ceilings.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 9th level, the swift slayer’s reaction time improves further, allowing him to evade attacks normally even when being attacked by multiple assailants. At level 8, the swift slayer can no longer be flanked. The swift slayer cannot be sneak attacked unless the attacker has four more effective rogue levels than the swift slayer has effective swift slayer levels. If the swift slayer has uncanny dodge from a different class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum effective rogue level an attacker must have to flank the character.
    Good.

Swift Appraisal(Ex):
    Starting at 10th level, the swift slayer add his Intelligence bonus to his Initiative.
    Haven't seen int used for this class anywhere else. This seems kind of out of the blue, mechanics-wise.

Improved Blurred Step (Ex):
    The swift slayer's sheer speed makes him extremely difficult to track in combat starting at 11th level. On any turn when he uses his death step, the swift slayer's form appears to waver and shift, and he gains 20% concealment as if he was affected by a blur spell. This effect lasts until the beginning of his next turn.
    Since no sane swift slayer would go a turn without using death step (except for maneuver recovery), this is essentially permanent in-combat concealment. That's pretty strong for a frontline melee character, but considering he can only use light armor, it balances out.

Gravity Defying Step (Ex):
    At 12th level the swift slayer is no longer bound by gravity. His death step is treated as flight if he wishes, and if he ends movement in the air, he may hover there until the end of his next turn before he starts to fall.
    I'd make him start falling at the start of his next turn if he doesn't death step. Continual movement is fine, but I can't envision a frontline melee character shooting through the air like this and attacking and the like.

Aggressive Step (Ex):
    At 14th level, the swift slayer is able to transfer his speed to an unwilling opponent. If he death steps to a square adjacent to an enemy, he may make a special bull rush attempt as a standard action. He adds 2 to his opposed strength check, and, in addition, may forgoe any number of death steps he has remaining in the round; he gains an additional +1 to his check for every 5' of death step forgone in this manner. He does not need to move with his opponent to continue pushing him back an additional 5 feet for each 5 points by which his check result is greater than the defender’s check result, and the opponent can exceed his normal movement limit.
    So he gains the ability to manipulate his foes. At this level that should be just fine.

Improved Evasion (Ex):
    At 15th level, the swift slayer's reflexes have become superhuman. This ability works like evasion, except that while the swift slayer still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless swift slayer does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
    I think this should come into play at a higher level. Improved evasion is really strong. >>

Slow Down (Ex):
    The swift slayer's perception is fast and detail-oriented, to keep up with his neck-breaking speed. When he slows down, however, his senses do not, making him quick at sizing up situations. Starting at 16th level, once per encounter, when the swift slayer stays in the same space for a round, he may take stock of his surroundings as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunities. He gains one of the following benefits:
    • Gain +3d6 insight bonus to damage on all attacks until the end of the next round.
    • Gain +6 to attack on all attack rolls until the end of the round.
    • Gain +9 Dodge bonus to AC during the following until the end of the round.
    Significantly decrease the dodge bonus. +4 or +5, preferably. I'd also move the attack bonus down to +4 or so. I'm also not sure how he gets a save against an effect from "sizing things up". That seems odd.

Freedom of Speed (Ex):
    Pretty standard fare at this level.

Ethereal Step (Ex):
    At 19th level, the Swift Slayer's speed breaks through reality. Whenever he death steps, he may act as if under the effects of an etheral jaunt spell, except that he moves at full speed.
    Pretty powerful, but good for level 19. This should absolutely, definitely, certainly be supernatural, though. It's almost the definition of what supernatural is.

Deadly Speed(Ex):
    At 20th level, the swift slayer gains the ability use a burst of superhuman speed to take two turns worth of actions in one round once per combat encounter. Following the use of Deadly Speed, the swift slayer must succeed a constitution save (DC 25) or become fatigued for 1d4+1 rounds.
    I like this capstone. Doubling your actions is good stuff.

Overall, I like the class. It's got maneuvers (which are always fun) and a lot of powerful abilities. The issue I find is that its maneuvers don't really add a lot except power. They seem tacked on. This class would be a solid low T3 without maneuvers, but is bordering on T2 with them. Consider sharply reducing the number of maneuvers available (and maneuvers you can ready) but giving them a stronger recharge mechanic (maybe close to a warblade's) to make them more supplementary to the class's very powerful motion and combat abilities. Its Death Step ability should feel like it's the focus of its combat power rather than a big pile of maneuvers.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy74 View Post
    Overall, I like the class. It's got maneuvers (which are always fun) and a lot of powerful abilities. The issue I find is that its maneuvers don't really add a lot except power. They seem tacked on. This class would be a solid low T3 without maneuvers, but is bordering on T2 with them. Consider sharply reducing the number of maneuvers available (and maneuvers you can ready) but giving them a stronger recharge mechanic (maybe close to a warblade's) to make them more supplementary to the class's very powerful motion and combat abilities. Its Death Step ability should feel like it's the focus of its combat power rather than a big pile of maneuvers.
    Hmm, I don't quite agree here. T2 is supposed to be classes with abilities that are gamebreaking, as in chain gating, infinite PP and similar stuff. Adding maneuvers don't add such things (except IHS, under a generous interpretation, but considering the Warblade is T3, I don't think so.), so it's still a T3. A T3 with more power and flexibility, but still a T3.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

8. - Top - End - #38

Thanks for the review Cheesey!

Basic mechanics look alright, though full BAB seems a bit much for a class more focused around movement.
    Yes, I've been debating that. I believe I will bring the BAB down to 3/4.

Seems fine. Maybe an exotic weapon of their choice?
    I guess I could do that. For some reason several DM's I've played with don't like classes that give you EWP for free though. I'm not sure why.

I like the readying mechanic, but...I'm not sure about the recovery. One the one hand it seems kind of weak. Swordsage-esque, almost. On the other hand, you can still attack while you're doing this, you just can't move. I suppose it's all right, it just seems odd. The two disciplines thing is really, really limiting. I'd recommend allowing more disciplines from a limited list instead. Also, see my bit at the end about restructuring maneuvers.
    I think it's more powerful than a swordsage's recovery method, since you can still attack, but no movement means no concealment, no flying, no HiPS, etc. People were upset that I had three disciplines for it to chose from, so I bumped it down to two.

So he can move over obstacles and ignore difficult terrain, using swift actions to do it at later levels. Seems like a good tradeoff, though that's an impressive amount of movement at higher levels. Can he do this between attacks in a full attack like you can with 5-foot steps? If so you may want to tone down the movement a bit. Otherwise a very fun ability. It should probably be supernatural, though. It doesn't seem like something you could do from pure skill.
    He can death step 150', if he had 30' to start with, at level 16. I'm not too worried by this, since many characters at that level or a bit higher are picking up fly speeds of 180'. Yes, once it's a free action he can do it between attacks. How and why do you think that should be toned down?

Sounds fine, though Darkstalker's a pretty powerful feat to be putting in here for free.
    Is it really? I can remove it if so. I've never considered it all that powerful.

Give the bonus a type (enhancement, preferably). Otherwise fits perfectly with the class.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I'll add it.

Not sure how I feel about this. HiPS is powerful, even situationally like that. I'd recommend taking a second look at this.
    I'm fairly comfortable with this. It was brief invisibility, but it was commented the HiPS would be better. Would you feel more positively about it if I did bump BAB down to 3/4?

Getting pretty parkour-esque at this point, but alright. As long as it doesn't extend to ceilings.
    Well, that's kind've what I'm aiming for

Haven't seen int used for this class anywhere else. This seems kind of out of the blue, mechanics-wise.
    I guess that's true, it's a holdover from an earlier rendition of the class. I can try to find something else for there. Maybe 1.5 dex to initiative instead of just dex.

I'd make him start falling at the start of his next turn if he doesn't death step. Continual movement is fine, but I can't envision a frontline melee character shooting through the air like this and attacking and the like.
    I tried it that way first actually, but the wording came out very ugly. This essentially does the same thing, but I'll see if I can get that previous wording fixed up.

I think this should come into play at a higher level. Improved evasion is really strong. >>
    Alright, I'll switch it with Slow Down

Significantly decrease the dodge bonus. +4 or +5, preferably. I'd also move the attack bonus down to +4 or so. I'm also not sure how he gets a save against an effect from "sizing things up". That seems odd.
    I can move it down, that was my first stab at the ability at so high a level. Since it's only usable once per encounter, I just want to make it worth using. I think I need to add a clause that says you can't recover maneuvers on the round you use this ability though. The save against an effect is fro his metabolism concentrating on the effect, if it's physical, or his thoughts racing to shake off a mental effect.

Pretty powerful, but good for level 19. This should absolutely, definitely, certainly be supernatural, though. It's almost the definition of what supernatural is.
    Ok, I'll change it.

I'm not sure if it's a T2 class. When it comes down to it, the main thing it can do to an enemy is attack/maneuvers, like a T3 warblade. Faster movement and the other stuff adds some power, sure, but it's no sorcerer or psion.

Quote Originally Posted by drakir_nosslin View Post
    Hmm, I don't quite agree here. T2 is supposed to be classes with abilities that are gamebreaking, as in chain gating, infinite PP and similar stuff. Adding maneuvers don't add such things (except IHS, under a generous interpretation, but considering the Warblade is T3, I don't think so.), so it's still a T3. A T3 with more power and flexibility, but still a T3.
    Yes, like he said.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, I misused that analogy a bit. I'm aware of the tier system, but...well, I don't know. I feel like the class shouldn't be just another heavy maneuver-using class. Maneuvers feel better to me as an auxiliary. It's not great reasoning, but my gut hasn't steered me wrong in the past.

EDIT: I can phrase this a lot better, sorry. Basically, don't disregard what I'm saying just because of one tiny slip-up in language.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2011-01-10 at 05:56 PM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy74 View Post
    Yeah, I misused that analogy a bit. I'm aware of the tier system, but...well, I don't know. I feel like the class shouldn't be just another heavy maneuver-using class. Maneuvers feel better to me as an auxiliary. It's not great reasoning, but my gut hasn't steered me wrong in the past.

EDIT: I can phrase this a lot better, sorry. Basically, don't disregard what I'm saying just because of one tiny slip-up in language.
    Don't worry, I'm not disregarding anything
    My problem is, everyone already thought Death Step was way to powerful. Continually improving it is out. And maneuvers are the best way I know to make melee-based characters stand on their own two feet.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Try some precision damage. Gestalt this with Scout for a slightly rapetastic insanity.

Alternatively, define which two schools you have (Desert Wind x Shadow Hand seem appropriate).

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Try some precision damage. Gestalt this with Scout for a slightly rapetastic insanity.

Alternatively, define which two schools you have (Desert Wind x Shadow Hand seem appropriate).
    Funny thing is, I had precision damage at first, and it was decided that maneuvers would be better

I don't define the schools because I love me some homebrewed disciplines, and it's the main way for individual swift slayers to differentiate themselves in style. I guess I probably should though.

13. - Top - End - #43

What you could do is decide one and leave the other open, or give a list to choose from.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by drakir_nosslin View Post
    What you could do is decide one and leave the other open, or give a list to choose from.
    I was going to go with the list option, yes
    I'll trawl through the Age of Warriors thread for good disciplines later tonight.