New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Watchtower––Volume Three

"This way," he replies, utilizing the HUD to mark a path through the jumble of alleys and narrow streets. "It's faster if you come over the top.

"Having two will be of good benefit--we can leapfrog one another, so there's less chance of him hearing us fly about above him, and we can give him more room, just in case he decides to look or invisible creatures."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain listens to Justice's entreaty quietly and then nods, turns to his soldiers, and commands them to let the thief go. The hesitate for just a moment and then put him down, standing ready beside him.

The thief, whose hood fell during his tumble to the ground, is light-skinned human male with dark hair and a confused, numb look in his eyes. He looks from the soldiers, to the captain, and then back to Justice.

"I will answer your questions."

The shield marshal smiles, nods to Starry as she makes ready to go, and then turns to the human thief, "What is your name?"

"Leo. Leosann Namid, sir."

"How old are you, Leo?"

"Sixteen, sir."

"You almost got away with this, Leo. Impressive, I must say. But what made you think it a wise decision to rob such a group? We consider ourselves fair and benevolent, and would certainly never do anything on purpose to upset the Lady of Pain or her governing officials," he says with a nod to the soldiers, "but even so, stealing from a group of obviously armed, obviously formidable individuals is a risky business."

The human sorts through his thoughts with a frown before shrugging, "Bergan told me to target the yellow dragon's pouch. There wasn't much else to do at that point. It seemed full of potent magic, and Bergan specializes in stolen magical goods."

Then he seems to recover a bit from the mental fog that affects him, "I was afraid. I have never robbed a dragon before. It was... exhilerating. Though I don't think I can honestly say I'll do it again."

He looks to the ground and scuffs his feet on the cobblestones, rubbing the bruises on his arm from his crash landing and the soldiers' handling.

Lemion smiles, "Leo, is this Bergan here in the market with you?"

The youth shrugs, "He was. I don't know if he still is. He doesn't stay when a job is botched."

"He will have turned his cloak blue-side out right about now as he flees, right?"

The human looks up in amazement, "How did you––"

But Lemion is already talking to the captain, "Captain, two mof my band have eyes-on this boy's master. He is currently trying to escape the markets, and will undoubtedly be gone within moments. I ask permission for my team to bring him to you just as we did this boy."

The captain takes a deep breath, obviously crossing deeper into the limits of his comfort zone. Still, he nods, still holding on to Lemion's pouch, "Very well. Same rules.

The gnome bows his head and then simply looks to Levi and the others, "Get to it. Make it as quiet and invisible as possible, for the captain's sake. And ours."

But Lemion is smiling confidently as he speaks, and when his team jumps to action, he turns back to the captain, "Sir, I am cusious. What are these retrospects that you summoned? You don't seem to like them much..."

The captain shakes his head, "No I don't. You'll find out soon enough, and you won't like them either. Sergeant, follow the gnome's team and oversee the capture. I don't want the retrospects apparating into the middle of their skirmish and annihilating both sides."

From above, the radiant dragon grinds his teeth and circles in ever greater boredom and frustration.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2011-01-15 at 04:07 PM.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I have no ability to do what you've just asked me to do...

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Finn waits for Starry to join him before proceeding.

"Sir, I'm not equipped for capture. I will proceed if you wish, but request additional assets."

[IF Finn is told to act immediately...]

"Ready yourself... Kuru, start coming this way--we may need you to grapple him."

Finn gets right beside the thief, and speaks in his ear.

"We arrest you, sir. Do not fight us. Your compatriot's mind has been dominated, and you will be next if you resist. You chose to rob from a very powerful group of individuals, and you have no escape. Walk back to the main street and you will not be harmed."

To make his point, Finn--still invisible--lays a hand on the thief's ear, and waves of magical energy flow over and bind him.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20)[16]. Dimensional anchor. I get various bonuses for being invisible and being inside his space, which I will add if necessary.

Edit: yep, that ought to do it.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2011-01-15 at 04:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Oldqua nods, and dives underground, using the network to guide him as he runs, full tilt, using the ground for total cover as long as he can, and avoiding all noise, until he catches up with the master thief at least well enough to attempt to grab him. He does send a parting thought through the network "What are the odds we're the first to mind-control the immediate thief? Might be worth asking. Might also be worth asking how many people were involved in setting this up, who they were, how to find them, and so on.... or even just any other illegal activities he knows about."

Oldqua seems briefly annoyed at grabbing the air again, but then he immediately sees an opportunity that the miss opened up, and instead of grabbing the villian directly, he instead grabs the man's clothing, dragging the head thief along for the ride. As the human stumbles and falls, his run brought to a halt by ghostly power, Oldqua steps into full view of the man and lists off his recent sins "You had one of your companions steal from one of mine. Your companion has been captured, and is spilling everything he knows of the operation as we speak. This is irrelevant, as you did not escape notice yourself. As you left the scene, I watched. As you flipped your cloak around, I watched. As you attempted to flee, I watched. As you stumble now in blind panic, I watch. You cannot hide, you cannot flee, you cannot win, you cannot escape. For I see, I follow, I do not die, and I need not rest. Your loss is inevitable. Surrender, confess, and live."

Spoiler
    Show

Rules were 'nonlethal force only', correct? Fortunately, Grappling doesn't need to hurt...

Telekenisis: Manuevers: Grapple: Touch: (1d20+21)[22]; Hold: (1d20+24)[28]
    Edit: Nat-1 on the touch attack. Got the CMA point earlier from a similar issue, so my CMA pool is full. Which means Badass Recovery / Extreme Badass are in effect, and that's a nat-20 on the touch attack. I don't *think* it also applies to the grapple, but editing in a second IC paragraph for it.

Oldqua O'rodir
    HP 169/169, AC 28 (T 28, FF 24) F/R/W 20/22/24 Init+4
    Undead: No Con; Cha to Concentration; Darkvision-60; Immunity to: Mind-affecting, Poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, Disease, death effects, massive damage saves, critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion, damage to physical ability scores, most fort save effects; doesn't eat, breathe, or sleep; immune to raise dead and reincarnate
    Incorporeal when not on the Ethereal: No Str; ignore nonmagical stuff; 50% miss chance vs. magical stuff; Charisma to AC; pass through objects; attack from objects; ignore Armor, Natural Armor, and Shield to AC; Immune and unable to Trip, Grapple, other direct physical manipulation; no weight; silent; full speed while blind; mostly immune to scent, blindsight, and similar
    Ghost: Malevolence, Telekinesis, Manifestation, Rejuvenation, +4 Turn Resistance, Skill Bonuses
    Evolved Undead: +1 AC, See Invisibility, Fast Healing 3
    Cloistered Cleric: Lore, Spells, Turn Undead, Domains (War, Good, Knowledge)
    Paladin: Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil 0/1, Lay on of Hands 0/18, Divine Grace
    Monk: Wis to AC, Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Flurry, Deflect Arrows, Evasion
    Pious Templar: Mettle, Spells, Smite Evil +1/day

Fiery Burst: 5d6 Fire, five-foot radius burst, 30-foot range; reflex DC 19 half; Su
    Telekinesis: CL 12, 1d4 round delay post-use, save DC 25 where applicable, Grapple at +25, bull rush at +9, Disarm at +21, Trip at +21/+9
    Malevolence: Will DC 24

Active Magical Effects:
    Undetectable Alignment (CL 12)
    Ring of X-Ray Vision (Yes, he leaves it running, most the time)
    Greater Resistance (Spell Compendium): +3 Resistance to saves (CL 12)
    Manifestation (Su)
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-01-16 at 12:35 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

Starry-Eyes hurriedly flies for Finn's location from his directions and looks for someone of the thief master's description.

~Coming, I can probably keep him from running off .~ she sends.

Spoiler
    Show

Readying an action to cast Hold Monster on the fellow if he tries to bolt.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-15 at 04:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    all

i'm gonna give fin two actions since he's already there, before starry and oldqua get there.

mhvaughan

I have no ability to do what you've just asked me to do...
    bull crap! i don't wanna hear that kind of pessimism here! lessee...

curse of despair, and plundering dispel would be pretty useful off the top of my head...

plus, the specific command was to keep it nonlethal. not nonpainful.

jack

Rules were 'nonlethal force only', correct? Fortunately, Grappling doesn't need to hurt...
    exactly.

vorpal

Readying an action to cast Hold Monster on the fellow if he tries to bolt.
    he's trying to bolt.

The human jumps in surprise when Fin's voice sounds beside him, and he crashes into a fruit-laden cart, stumbles, regains his feet, and keeps running.

As he runs, he looks around for whoever it is that was talking to him, "Sweet mother! Leave me be! I have nothing to do with you!"

From above, Kurukshetra growls, folds his wings, and begins to plummet.

Back in the alley, Lemion looks again to the thief, following Oldqua's reasoning, "How many others are there?"

Leo shrugs, "I don't know––twenty maybe. I've never met them all. I'm still kind of new to the group. But Bergan sends them all out on different marks every day. He came with me today since I'm still new, and since I'm older. He wanted to see how I work."

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ... That grapple touch became a nat-20. I've got that option on the Badass Substitution level, and my current pool is full from the earlier nat-1 on the grapple touch, so it's automatic, due to Extreme Badass being subsumed into Badass Recovery. Now to suitably reflavor it.... I'll be editing...
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Finn easily keeps pace with the man, and he hits the thief with a one-two punch. Crashing on the heels of his Dimensional Anchor comes another wash of energy--this one embracing and drawing back to the fey any magical energies around the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Plunderig Dispel FTW. On call at the hospital, so good luck finding my numbers. I think it's +12 on the checks, but maybe more. (d20)[16] (d20)[16] (d20)[4] (d20)[2] (d20)[14] (d20)[17] (d20)[12]

"If you do not cease this instant, I will be forced to blind you! And then a giant dragon will land on you. While you are blind."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Starry-Eyes prepares to capture the man with a quick word, but halts in her casting as the ghost bursts up from the ground to envelope him.

She twitches in surprised response, and withholds her spell expectantly, awaiting the outcome before releasing it.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    jack

... That grapple touch became a nat-20. I've got that option on the Badass Substitution level, and my current pool is full from the earlier nat-1 on the grapple touch, so it's automatic, due to Extreme Badass being subsumed into Badass Recovery. Now to suitably reflavor it.... I'll be editing...
    gotcha. now, i have to narrate the moment as sufficiently badass since you're spending a badass point for it. *knuckle crack*

mhvaughan

Plunderig Dispel FTW. On call at the hospital, so good luck finding my numbers. I think it's +12 on the checks, but maybe more. (d20)[16] (d20)[16] (d20)[4] (d20)[2] (d20)[14] (d20)[17] (d20)[12]
    the list of dispelled effects and remaining durations (note that some of them are higher level than you'd be able to steal):

arcane sight (3rd): 17 hours
    detect thoughts (2nd): 17 hours
    disguise self (1st): 90 minutes
    eagle's splendor (4th; +7 int); 17 hours
    fox's cunning, greater (4th; +8 int): 17 hours
    freedom of movement (4th): 90 minutes
    prestidigitation (0th): 35 minutes

luckily, you didn't dispel your own dimensional anchor. that would've been funny. well, for me at least.

and on some consideration, that invocation could be awesomely useful over the course of fin's career. i was thinking though, we need to figure out how stealing spells works when you dispel a permanent or otherwise constant effect.

gnorman

before i forget it, i was going to say "good job on that domination," which sounds a little kinky when you take it out of game context. but still, good job. that ended his flight a lot faster than i'd expected.

While the other Watchmen are closing in on the fleeing thief, Fin strikes again, hitting the thief with dispel effect so potent and surprising, that he loses more than half a dozen magical effects all at the same time.

Even as Fin is absorbing the energies back into his tiny frame and deciding what to do with them, Oldqua erupts from the ground before the thief and reaches out for him.

The man, seeing only a specter of a long-dead soul suddenly reaching for him, screams like a little girl and trips on his own feet. This makes him fall short of Oldqua'a telekinetic grasp, but lands him on the ground right before the undead spirit, cloak easily caught and tangled in the ghost's insubstantial grasp. The man is shaking uncontrollably and beginning to hyperventilate, and it is immediately obvious that he is irrationally and persistently afraid of the undead, though this is hardly a rare condition among the living.

However, pathetic and frightened as he may be, the man has not lost his survival instinct completely. The trigger word to a spell falls off of his stuttering lips with barely enough command to cast it properly. The man's form wavers into semi-translucence, shudders, and then reappears fully, causing Fin's dimensional anchor to spark and flash with light.

Realizing that his spell has been blocked, the man groans, looks up at Oldqua and cringes. "Help! Help! Police! Anybody! I'm being accosted by one of the undead! Help! Save me!"

Though the crowd here on this edge of the market is not as thick, there are still hundreds of people within eyesight of the altercation. Without knowing what is really going on, some of them move to defend the man, their natural prejudices being manipulated by the thief.

In particular, a robed human female and two stout human guards in masterful armor turn and head their way, the woman pulling a holy symbol of some unknown god and taking a deep breath as she prepares to handle the situation.

From above, Kuru growls at the interference and holds off on his dive, circling just a few hundred feet above them and still lost in the gloom of Sigil's smokey, sickly air.

Starry-Eyes, he looks as if he means to keep struggling.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2011-01-16 at 04:08 PM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Finn goes in for the final measure: he strikes the man with an inability to function properly. He catches him on the hamstring, and the man is metaphysically lamed.

With as loud a voice as he can muster, he calls out to the crowd:
    "We have the authority of the local authorities, and we will take this man to them now. Please do not interfere! The commander of the guard will be here in moments, and we will not harm the man in the meantime. We wish only to restrain him!

Spoiler
    Show
    Touch attack: (d20)[12] Curse of Despair, 50% chance to act normally vs. take no action.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Oldqua lets a chuckle through the network, but not on his face, as he addresses the crowd "Good people, some of you may recognize the symbol of Heironeous I carry. At this time, I am acting with permission of the constabulary to aid in apprehending this thief. If you desire, I will cheerfully remain here while they come to corroborate my statements, on the proviso that this man also remain." Oldqua visibly glances around the crowd, containing dragons demons, devils, and angles alike before continuing "After all, it is not as though I'm anything unusual, here."

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, so I suppose I oppose the guy's Bluff/Diplomacy check with a Diplomacy check of my own:
    (1d20)[14]+26

This might be at a -10 for 'rushed', but then, seems like his bluff/diplomacy check would get a similar penalty if he's using it that way (more so, as he had to burn the action for a command-word on his failed escape, assuming we're in rounds), so it likely doesn't matter.

Oldqua O'rodir
    Undead: No Con; Cha to Concentration; Darkvision-60; Immunity to: Mind-affecting, Poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, Disease, death effects, massive damage saves, critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion, damage to physical ability scores, most fort save effects; doesn't eat, breathe, or sleep; immune to raise dead and reincarnate
    Incorporeal when not on the Ethereal: No Str; ignore nonmagical stuff; 50% miss chance vs. magical stuff; Charisma to AC; pass through objects; attack from objects; ignore Armor, Natural Armor, and Shield to AC; Immune and unable to Trip, Grapple, other direct physical manipulation; no weight; silent; full speed while blind; mostly immune to scent, blindsight, and similar
    Ghost: Malevolence, Telekinesis, Manifestation, Rejuvenation, +4 Turn Resistance, Skill Bonuses
    Paladin: Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil 0/1, Lay on of Hands 0/18, Divine Grace
    Monk: Wis to AC, Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Flurry, Deflect Arrows, Evasion

Fiery Burst: 5d6 Fire, five-foot radius burst, 30-foot range; reflex DC 19 half; Su
    Telekinesis: CL 12, 1d4 round delay post-use, save DC 25 where applicable, Grapple at +25, bull rush at +9, Disarm at +21, Trip at +21/+9

Active Magical Effects:
    Manifestation (Su)
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-01-16 at 04:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

"Oh, Lady, grace us..." Starry-Eyes moans in exasperation, using her halfling tongue, and suddenly flares up with a heavenly light.

Those who see it know she is a good woman, and blessed by those above.

"We wish no harm to this man, I or this spirit who I call a Friend. The man here is wanted for questioning by the law of your city, please allow us to fulfill our task good people." she says, radiating earnest concern. She then turns to the man.

"Now stop your struggling." she says with gentle sternness.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action to release Nimbus of Light, which text says proves beyond a doubt to those that see her that she is Good.

Then casting Hold Monster... too bad I don't have the lesser version.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-16 at 06:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    You may want to hold off on that, vorpal. We likely have at least one more encounter today--that's why I'm largely using invocations rather than spells. Oldqua may have this wrapped up with that grapple. Stay invisible if Stycotl says this worked, and you may get better use out of these spells later.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Technically the light would still be seen, and her voice heard, she'd just be invisible herself.

I'll hold back hold Monster though.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Fin reaches out and touches the human again, with magic that will cripple his movements even further. But the human resists the fey's curse, and the spell slides over him almost harmlessly, only a fraction of its magic lingering.

Oldqua has the man firmly wrapped up in the invisible forces of his spell now, though the man seems as slippery as a fish and continues to almost slide out of the ghost's telekinetic grasp.

At that moment, Starry-Eyes suddenly flares to brilliant light and commands the human to be still. The crowd around them flinches back from the brilliance, accustomed only to the general gray smog of the demiplane. The human thief curses, his eyes watering against the light, and he struggles against her physical compulsion unsuccessfully. Starry-Eyes' spell sinks in and steals his ability to squirm any further.

The priestess pauses, studying the ghost for a moment as if unsure, but she does motion for her guards to hang back. "No, you are not anything unusual here. But attacking a man in the streets is still bound to get a spirit noticed. So long as you make no hostile act, then we will await the constables without interfering. Be warned, I can sense your spells as well as your movements.

"No more spells or anything––he's already incapacitated anyway. Don't test me. Or the crowd for that matter."

It strikes the team members now that nearly everyone they have seen on the street looks agitated, and as if they would prefer to quickly end this interference with normal life. Earlier, in the very midst of the bazaar, this could have been attributed to Kurukshetra's rather loud and visible response to the theft, or even to the simple greed, impatience, and irritation that normally flood such a large marketplace.

But now, as everyone seems to crowd around with angry faces, the Watchmen seem to realize that they are particularly unwanted here.

Above, Kuru watches in concern, Hold on, the guards are about half-way there... He lowers his elevation some, until he is only 100 feet above the ground, and slightly visible as a dull yellow streak in the murky sky.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Stycotl, if I had managed to dispel my own Dimensional Anchor, I would have been very, very embarrassed. It's clear I have things to learn about playing a caster...

By the way, has anyone else ever built an Epic Races of War character?

I just built a gestalt Tome Samurai 22//Tome Fighter 22 for an epic campaign that I likely won't get into, but it was a fun exercise regardless.

One of the Tome Samurai's abilities allows you to take an AAO as an immediate action against an opponent. But not just one AAO, but your per turn limit.

There's an epic feat that grants you unlimited AAOs per turn.

Finn waits, but he prepares and holds another invocation at the ready, waiting for the man to try to escape once more. He nods to the lady, and patiently begins to wait for the guards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying another Curse, but holding it for now.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mhvaughan View Post
    One of the Tome Samurai's abilities allows you to take an AAO as an immediate action against an opponent. But not just one AAO, but your per turn limit.

There's an epic feat that grants you unlimited AAOs per turn.
    And then, just to spite you, the DM requires you roll ALL of them. As you have to roll your free AoO's up to your per-tern limit.

Oldqua continues concentrating on keeping his opponent securely in the grip of his mind, in place until the fully official peace-keepers can arrive, rather than just the expedient volunteers like himself. Meanwhile, he chats somewhat "You heard the gracious lady; we both sit here until the true authorities arrive to officially sort this out."

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Continue concentrating. As he didn't escape, I can go for a pin this time. And the Pin gives the option of preventing him from speaking, if it works, so no more talking for him until the police get here. His mouth has gotten me into enough trouble. Grapple: (1d20+25)[40]

Oh, and how many grapple rolls do you want me to make for his escape attempts? If he's using Escape Artist, he gets one as a standard action; if he's using Grapple checks, he gets iteratives. If he's attempting to teleport, he's very, very stuck.

Oldqua O'rodir

Active Magical Effects:
    Manifestation (Su)

Spoiler
    Show
    Is everyone waiting for the resolution of the grapple check before posting?
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-01-20 at 05:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    mhvaughan

Stycotl, if I had managed to dispel my own Dimensional Anchor, I would have been very, very embarrassed. It's clear I have things to learn about playing a caster...
    i've managed stuff like that once or twice––once or twice in this very game in fact...

i don't sweat it too much. in the real world, people forget stuff all of the time. it's just a part of life. even the best prepared and best trained fighters occasionally charge into a firefight with their weapons on safe or in condition three, or having forgotten to secure their throatguard or kevlar strap or something.

all

that actually brings up an issue that i've been pondering: how to add some of that "damn, i f*cked up" element to the game without screwing people over.

what's worse than realizing you forgot to pack the only weapon in the team that can destroy the rampaging undead creature that is about to kill you all, or grabbing the wrong potion in your panic when an ally goes down in a bloody mess?

my plan is to make a few rolls per chapter (mission and downtime), with an indication of some kind of screw up (forgetfulness, clumsiness, foot-in-mouth social flubs, etc), then roll for severity (which will generally be an rp-effect only, unless i roll really bad...), and then make rolls fr each of you, and NPCs to see whodunnit.

up until this point i have only (in my memory, anyway) railroaded kuru and a few other NPCs into these kinds of screw-ups, but even the PCs are imperfect, and i'd rather not have all of the NPCs you guys associate with end up being constant blundering idiots. so i'll give you guys the chance too!

but, in my experience it's not generally a part of your standard d&d quest, except in consequence to poor rp choices or critically failed rolls, and i can understand if you don't really want to be involved in extraneous "d'oh!"scenarios. and i don't want to just railroad one of you into being a clutz or anything.

so, if you specifically don't want to participate in this experiment with your character, PM me pronto. i'll work under the assumption that if you don't PM me, you're ok with it. if you specific ideas about what kinds of things you'd like your character to flub, then PM that to me.

lastly, there will be (semi) realistic negative consequences, maybe even up to getting yourself or someone else killed. but i'll always try to offer a realistic way for your character to either fix things, or make penance. and of course, excellent roleplay will be rewarded by both myself and the group.

The thief continues struggling against Oldqua's grasp, but so far is unable to get away. The crowd murmurs impatiently, and everyone waits.

Finally, running footsteps are heard, and the soldiers round the corner with sweat dripping off of their faces. The sergeant approaches, nodding to the Watchmen, "We've got him."

He uneasily notes the press of the crowd then, and waves them off, "Everything is under control. They were acting in concert with the constabulary, but we thank you for your concern.

"So, all of you get back to your business before the Lady gets angry again."

No one needs a second reminder. The static crowd is dispersed and moving again in under ten seconds, and the sergeant lets out a very obvious sigh or relief while withdrawing a set of matte gray handcuffs from his belt. There is something odd about the cuffs; they radiate no magic, but the air about them fairly thrums with power.

The thief groans when he sees them, and despite his renewed struggles, Oldqua's grasp remains firm until the sergeant shackles the thief and pulls him to his feet. The thief now wears a subdued expression on his face, his jaw hanging just a bit slack and his eyes staring glossily into the distance.

The sergeant looks about nervously, and then turns back for the residential neighborhood. He motions for the Watchmen to follow.

"I recognize this one. Captain will be happy to see him caught. We've been chasing him around these streets for months. Always wears a disguise, this one. In fact, we always thought the wooden leg he usually has was real. Guess not..."

Back in the alleyway, Leo stands quietly, not resisting in the slightest. When the others come back into view, he perks up, looking in amazement at the older thief.

The captain laughs, "Praise the gods, I know that face. Well hellow, Tavek. I didn't expect to see you tonight. We all might get a reward for your capture, though I expect that these fine visitors would be wanting at least some credit since they did the footwork."

He looks to Lemion, who simply shrugs, "I have no such goals, Captain."

The captain looks around one more time as if expecting to see hordes of demons scaling the walls around him, and then smiles back at the Watchmen, "We thank you then. Our resources are stretched thin with all of the political conflicts going on here, and we couldn't spare any of our fliers tonight. That meant the retrospects, who apparently never showed up. Thank the gods..."

The sergeant shrugs, "Or they did show up, but then saw that everything was under control, and so left before they came, if you know what I mean. It's perverse how they do it. Mess with time, so to speak."

Lemion is about to call the others to him, when he turns back to the captain, "There is one thing that you could do for us, Captain. We don't come to Sigil often, and are not very familiar with its current political atmospheres and social trends. I am in need of someone that I can contact when I am planning a visit. Would you be so kind as to give advice if I contact you?"

The captain considers this for a moment, and then answers, "It would depend upon the nature of the questions, but yes, I would do that."

Lemion smiles, "I would never knowingly ask anything that would betray your station or loyalties, and I would understand if ever there were a situation where you could not or desired not to provide information."

The captain then prepares to take his charge, "I am going to release Leo unless you wish to file charges. He is but a boy, and Tavek is a known manipulator of our orphans. Not to mention that we hardly have room in the dungeons as of now, and his crimes do not warrant a stay with the vile criminals that we have now.

"If you wish to bring up legal charges, accompany us to the barracks. If not, lecture him as you see fit and then let him go.

"We thank you for your aid. It is a nice change to find helpful, competent visitors to our city. Especially visitors that make the arrival of the retrospects unnecessary."

Lemion nods and then looks to the others, "Anything from the rest of you?"

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Oldqua releases the man once it's clear the local authorities now have him under guard. At the question of pressing charges, Oldqua shrugs through the net, and pushes a thought through with it "I'm personally inclined to trust the judgment of the local authorities, myself, being unfamiliar with the current situation here. I would be interested in finding out just how they remotely grabbed a treasure out of the claws of a dragon who wanted to hang onto it, though...."

Verbally, Oldqua asks a question of the guard captain "I am mostly curious how the theft was accomplished, myself. I don't know of many effects that can steal an item, at range, from the hand of someone actively holding it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and because the captain brought up trickery:
    Spot: (1d20+29)[33] to see if the guard captain is actually someone in disguise.
    Sense Motive: [roll]1d20+19[/url] to make sure he's being reasonably honest.
    Additionally, concentrating a moment on Detect Evil, just to be safe (I'm honestly expecting him to be LN/LG, personally, but only have Detect Evil at will, and don't usually prepare the other alignment-detection spells).

If anything's *not* on the up-and-up, let me know, as I'll need to edit....

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mis-rolled the sense Motive, and can't edit in a roll, so re-rolling it here: (1d20+19)[32]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill is surprised by the old dragon's silence, and roughly slaps him on the back with a smile.

"Come, friend! You're much too serious. I'll buy you a drink, before the streets are entirely deserted."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    Getting yourself or someone else killed. but I'll always try to offer a realistic way for your character to either fix things, or make penance. and of course, excellent roleplay will be rewarded by both myself and the group.
    XP tends to not be very useful if you've been killed. [Except in special cases (Oldqua)]

But I think it is a very interesting idea and would be more than happy to participate in the mistake-making.

Xavier lands beside the others, after they apprehend the thief, and waits patiently until the conversation leads them to the fate of the boy. Curiously it reminded him of his own beginnings, without the Temple he wouldn't be the man he was today, without the teachings and arduous work he had been put through he wouldn't ever have been tempered into the efficient automaton [not completely literal ] he was today. Perhaps in another life, or another universe this would have been him.

His own eyes bored into the six-teen year old human. Conflicting thoughts abounded inside his mind safe behind the oasis of calm that he let ebb across the link to the others. The boy stared back at his accusers. He had been afraid of them, but was in control of his emotions enough to ignore it, and act bravely in face of a dragon, and several potent warriors. He was older than preferred, and humans longevity in general left much to be desired, but there was time still left, and all Xavier was doing was offering a path, it would be up to Leo, to decide whether he wanted to walk it.

The wizened Githzerai sent a brief message across the link to Lemion asking permission for the offer he was about to make.

"Lemion, I request that I may offer the boy a chance at a different life, one away from the dangers of this place. I wish to offer him training from my old teachers back at the monastery I was trained at."
    HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO TYPE LIKE THIS?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

Starry-Eyes fades into view and touches down lightly onto her bare feet. She joins Xavier in his examination of the young man.

"We all deserve a second chance." she murmurs to Lemion, with a beseeching look.

Spoiler
    Show
    @Josh
    Mind if Starry-Eyes hears along that message? She was going to suggest something along those lines as well
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-24 at 11:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't mind at all, same goes for everyone else if they'd like.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    mhvaughn

Kyrill is surprised by the old dragon's silence, and roughly slaps him on the back with a smile.
    oops! my bad; i forgot about Kyrill.

josh

XP tends to not be very useful if you've been killed. [Except in special cases (Oldqua)]
    too true. but i promise to posthumously advance the next character that dies during an incredible display of roleplaying by an entire level! not that you'll be able to use it, but hey, it'd be neat to go into the afterlife with an extra hit dice––right before being reformed as a low-level petitioner somewhere.

But I think it is a very interesting idea and would be more than happy to participate in the mistake-making.
    cool. thanks, josh. i'll try hard not to pick on any one person more often than is reasonable, and NPCs can always be the stand-bys if i need more than reasonable amounts of screw ups.

Oldqua studies the guards carefully as they speak, but can find no sense of mischief in their demeanor or words. Further, none of them radiate an aura that triggers his senses. And though none of them appear the epitome of one that has taken exalted vows or anything, this troop seems much more disciplined, lawful, and just than maybe is usually found in this enormous, chaotic city. Through the network, it is evident that even Lemion is pleasantly surprised.

Leo grins and the captain shrugs when Oldqua asks his question. The captain says, "That, I am not sure of. This is the first that I have become aware of such a strategy. I would presume that Tavek is behind that, but could not be certain until after an investigation is finished. For your part, ask as many questions of young Leo here as is desired. For mine, we have ways of making even the most stubborn of thieves recount their life histories for us."

His eyes are hard as he says this, boring into Tavek's skull as if he expects it to cause the other man pain. But Tavek, thoroughly affected by the subduing magic of the cuffs, does not even blink.

The captain grins, looks nervously about one last time for the approach of the retrospects, nods his thanks and farewell, tells his men to form up, and then turns on a heel and leads them back into the crowd.

Leo at first appears relieved, but as he looks around at the Watchmen that surround him, suddenly he looks a little nervous.

Lemion listens to Xavier's request and then nods, "Sure. As long as it is all right by your monastery, you can make the offer."

One of the boy's eyebrows peaks curiously as he tries to decipher what they speak of. "What is this?"

Meanwhile, the dragon watches as Kyrill approaches, and when he is sure that the werebear means to engage him in conversation, his crest rises slightly and he takes a number of deep breaths, sniffing the air carefully as the werebear comes into sniffing range.

"I don't drink, thank you. Your party seems to have blundered into some trouble. Dangerous to spotlight yourself in Sigil during your first few visits; first-timers make that mistake fairly often, and the authorities like to make examples of them."

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Oldqua shrugs at the boy's expression of confusion, and replies "There's something of a debate going on for whether or not to recommend you to a monastary, including giving you a free ride to the place. Hard work, reliable food to eat, long hours, a roof over your head, and training for a rather stable lifestyle. I lived similarly for most my life, although that was ... quite some time ago. I don't believe your mind is fully your own, yet, but as the intent at this point seems to be to let you go, Justice will likely release his grip on your mind before it turns into an actual question - after all, such a choice must be made freely, and it can't be said to be a free choice when there's someone in your head who can make you do essentially anything. But on the plus side, it's looking like you'll be free, either way. If you turn the offer down, once it's made, the general consensus at this point is to simply leave you where you are."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

I WILL RELEASE MY HOLD ON THE BOY NOW, SO HE CAN MAKE HIS DECISION.

And just like that, the boy's mind is freed from the mental grip.
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2011-01-27 at 03:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270

Nodding his thanks to the Metal Warrior, Xavier turns his considerable and total attention on the Leo. What would become of the young boy?

"Floating in the ever changing world of limbo there is a stalwart monastery where I learned the teachings that I now live by. But one does not request to be taught there, for it is a secretive place, for its own safety. I am offering you a choice. A choice between the current state of life you live, and the certainty of a place to stay, safety and security. But it is a hard life, and many drift off the path, and once that happens they can never return. . .

It is the choice of a lifetime, for it will affect the rest of your days. Though I will be honest with you, I hesitate to ask you, because I am afraid I am setting you up for failure. Most beginning candidates are younger than you, and many will possess a longevity unknown to the Human race.

Nonetheless, you will have your chance, if you should take it. Leo, Son of the Streets of Sigil, do you wish to undertake the teaching of the Sublime Temple?"

All the while behind his masked face Xavier's thoughts abound with his own reservations about what he is doing, and yet, he does it anyways. There are many things about him that will make this difficult, but not one of them has been his own choice. Now he will have a choice.