New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Quote Originally Posted by Reltzik View Post
    Er, hosting? I thought first you got established, and THEN galleys displayed your work.

.... my chicken needs an egg.

I'll figure something out and link it before week's end.
    *snicker* Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    I think I shall enter this properly. My entries each week will just be a page covered in random sketching, and shoddy basic sketching. Hopefully, in time, this will proceed to sketches of actual / larger things, maybe even people, and proceed in time from that to somewhat I would happily call art. That's the plan anyway! I've set up a new system of goals for myself, and it will likely include easily six pages, front and back, of random sketching (also more learning music, and more writing!). I ought to have a photo of a mess of random sketching up this weekend.

Edit: actually I'm not sure I should / can! These aren't proper works so much as "I have no idea how to do draw anything: today let's cover a page with shapes and experiment with shadows." So, '(no doodles or unfinished pieces)' probably suggests I oughtn't actually do this just yet. Not until my pages are actual pieces rather than experimenting with no goals but practice. Perhaps I'll be back in a few months.
    I definitely think you should enter. If we take a look at RAI, the "no doodles" rule is there because we want some effort. A seasoned artist can throw down a sketch in three minutes which defeats the purpose of the challenge (which is to draw stuff and get better, not to become a master slacker). But if a pageful of sketches are at the top of your ability, I'd definitely say they're worth a piece.
    When you can do a page of sketches in less than 25 minutes, you need to upgrade. But until then, feel free to enter (afterwards too, of course, but that's a lot more clear-cut)

Quote Originally Posted by catterfly View Post
    I think I'd like to do this too, actually! Although I think my main problem will be getting to a scanner...

Also, do shrinkydinks count as a 'work'? If so, how many? :3
    Yay, welcome! :3

I have never in my life made a shrinkydink. They're kinda close to figure-crafting or something, right? I'd say one shrinkydink is one piece, but if they're quick to do (aka; less than 25 minutes), they should probably count for less.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    I have never in my life made a shrinkydink. They're kinda close to figure-crafting or something, right? I'd say one shrinkydink is one piece, but if they're quick to do (aka; less than 25 minutes), they should probably count for less.
    It honestly depends on the shrinkydink.

For example, in the image, the larger one took me 30 min to sketch and color, whilst the cthulhu took me maybe 5?

Spoiler
    Show

So probably 2 or 3 small, or one large would equal a work?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think they should all count as one piece, just she strive to make large ones more frequently than she does small ones.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Welcome all new folks!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, I'm aiming for approximately 30 minutes of time for each of my logged endeavors in this new project of mine, so that ought to work out. Count me back in for six pages or more, front and back, by Sunday!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    I think they should all count as one piece, just she strive to make large ones more frequently than she does small ones.
    Yeah, that's probably the best solution. They definitely look like something that resembles a regular drawing, and it probably would be too cluttered if we distinguish, and then how do you decide what size is "small", and -- yeah.

One shrinkydink = one piece.

(also, catterfly, I'm impressed that you can make something like that in such a short time. Whoa!)

Well, I'm aiming for approximately 30 minutes of time for each of my logged endeavors in this new project of mine, so that ought to work out. Count me back in for six pages or more, front and back, by Sunday!
    Awesome! Welcome to the CHALLENGE
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Oh man, I'm super excited, I actually drew something rather than just random sketches. Which is to say, one of the pages is especially sparse rather than covered in stuff, but it was something I was really trying to draw specifically and spent a lot more time on, and I'm actually quite happy with it...inanimate objects, but still!
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2012-01-14 at 05:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

My thoughts before checking the rules of the thread.

"Hmm, done 5 of the 7 things I need to do, and it's Saturday. Not bad."

After realising I only have to do 6 things:

"WOOO I'm on schedule!! "
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Greetings CHALLENGE thread!

I just started one of those art-a-day threads here and am paranoid about running out of ideas, so I think I'll jump in with this to keep the brain working.

I'll be getting in on the next round, since I don't really have time to finish enough work for the current round.

10. - Top - End - #370

Glass, darling, you mind giving me a bit of extra time? I have my six pieces done, but they are in my notebook at home do I can't type them up.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, the deadline is Sunday. When I set up personal goals of doing something by a given day, I personally set my deadline as sunrise, rather than midnight. I mean, I'm never up working until sunrise, the point is, if I go to bed at 1 AM, for the purpose of personal goals, I consider that still to be the same day. Is this set as drawing the line at midnight, no exceptions? I have 5 of my 6 works, I have some homework and other plans this evening, and while I plan to do the last tonight and upload some photos before I sleep, I'm not sure if it'll be before 12:00 sharp. Is that acceptable?

12. - Top - End - #372

DrowGirl

I've got 5 out of 6, which means I failed this week, technically.

But, this is more than I've done in a very long time, so thank you very much for pushing me to do better than before. Despite the crappiness of the sketches, I actually did stuff.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alright! I guess this heralds the start of my learning to draw.

Here's the one thing I did this week that wasn't just a front and back page of random mess, but single more detailed attempt to draw something specific. Woohoo, Hinduism inspired sci fi dystopian drugs!
    Spoiler
    Show

(Rest was sent via PM)
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2012-01-16 at 06:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we've broken a record for participants, guys! Woo!

Glass Mouse passes with eight character drawings and 1745 words of character descriptions.

Lil Shiro has gotten a postponement. Update: passes with six poems, one about the weather of emotions.

Lazy Genius, you still in?

Shadowy Silence passes with nine poems (many about big questions), a banner, and a drawing.

icastflare! uploaded 543 words of sci-fi story.

Castaras uploaded five different drawings, ranging from OoTS avatars to creepy cults.

Reltzik passes with 3551 words of detective story.

Ice Walker passes with five double-sided sketch pages and one drug drawing.

Kyouhen is in from next week.

Thus, Lazy Genius, icastflare! and Castaras FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, ShadowySilence, Ice Walker and Lil Shiro PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 64 weeks
    Longest run: -

Lazy Genius
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 3 weeks

Lil Shiro
    Current run: 2 weeks
    Longest run: 2 weeks

ShadowySilence
    Current run: 4 weeks
    Longest run: 2 weeks

icastflare!

Castaras

Reltzik
    Current run: 1 week

Ice Walker
    Current run: 1 week

It's Castaras' turn to choose a theme

Aaaand to avoid double posting:

@Ice Walker: Haha, it's awesome, isn't it, when your drawings start clicking and looking like things? That drawing looks good, there's some good perspective in there.
    As for the deadline, it's actually when Sunday is over EVERYWHERE, which is 11 a.m. GMT+1. So if you're American, you can go a few hours over midnight. And I sometimes do the status later due to my own schedule... I'm usually at school at 11 a.m., but I try to be as close as possible).

@Castaras: I'll count that result as a win! Are you trying again next week?

@Lil Shiro: Sure, there's some lenience in regards to technical differences. When can you have it up?

@Reltzik: Good job on your first week! In the future, please include a word count for your works (it makes status updates easier for me ).

@Lazy Genius: If you don't start uploading something, I'm scratching you from the list. Go, go, go! Write your wolf story!

@Kyouhen: Woo, that's great! Welcome! Looking forward to see your progress.

@catterfly: Are you still in?

My writings for this week are here. They're in Danish, but they're here as proof.

If I've forgotten something or someone, please speak up. There were a lot of people and posts to sort through this week
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-01-17 at 07:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

And now for the part that always ends up confusing. When I said next challenge I meant the one this week, not next week. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by 'next week'.

Also, so to submit work we only need to post it in our relevant thread, right? There's no other special posting requirement things?

16. - Top - End - #376

I'll be home by tonight, and get it up then.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post

And now for the part that always ends up confusing. When I said next challenge I meant the one this week, not next week. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by 'next week'.

Also, so to submit work we only need to post it in our relevant thread, right? There's no other special posting requirement things?
    Haha, I hadn't even considered that it could be confusing. Just pretend I wrote that on Sunday

And yes, if you've given a thread link here, all you need to do is post in that thread (I just go there to see and count your pieces). If you create anything and upload it somewhere else, just send me a PM or put a link in this thread. Otherwise, one place is good.

I'll be home by tonight, and get it up then.
    Sounds good
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Haha, I hadn't even considered that it could be confusing. Just pretend I wrote that on Sunday

Oh, I didn't mean you were being confusing. I thought I was being confusing when I said I'd join in on the next challenge.

19. - Top - End - #379

My entries are now up.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I didn't mean you were being confusing. I thought I was being confusing when I said I'd join in on the next challenge.
    [insert quip about infinite confusion loop here]

My entries are now up.
    Great. I'm changing the status post
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

21. - Top - End - #381

DrowGirl

I did upload all 5.

Theme can be Warmth. I'm up for trying again this week, although now that I'm back at uni (with all the fun things that happen at uni), may not do as well.
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    I did upload all 5.

Theme can be Warmth. I'm up for trying again this week, although now that I'm back at uni (with all the fun things that happen at uni), may not do as well.
    Oops, I'm sorry. Axe girl, creepy cult scene (counts for two), an avatar, and the person with the cat. I'm editing the post.

Nice theme. Very fitting for the time time of year
    Also, back at uni? That's an awfully early start. I thought UK universities started in February as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'm already well behind on this week! Nothing done, actually. I may write a short story though later, which would probably cover most or all of it. We'll see. I do want to draw more anyway, so...
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2012-01-19 at 03:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384

Glass, darling, could you put me on hold for now. I may be back next week, not sure, but I have been dealing with some ignorant people at school of late and it has been really stressful.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm already well behind on this week! Nothing done, actually. I may write a short story though later, which would probably cover most or all of it. We'll see. I do want to draw more anyway, so...
    You still have time, Icewalker! Go, go, go

Glass, darling, could you put me on hold for now. I may be back next week, not sure, but I have been dealing with some ignorant people at school of late and it has been really stressful.
    Sure thing, Shiro. I'm sorry to hear people are being crappy . Hope it lets up soon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

26. - Top - End - #386

You still have time, Icewalker! Go, go, go

Sure thing, Shiro. I'm sorry to hear people are being crappy . Hope it lets up soon.
    Thanks.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Question! Should we specify which works are for the challenge or do you just go through and note anything that would fit?

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Question! Should we specify which works are for the challenge or do you just go through and note anything that would fit?
    I usually just go through and note anything, but if you think there might be basis for doubt, it would be a good idea to specify - just to avoid fails where none were justified
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

29. - Top - End - #389
    Barbarian in the Playground

My internet has been down for the last week and has been going on and off even as I type this. I will try to get my works up sometime,
    Avatar of a Drow priestess by Teutonic Knight.

This is where I put my writings. Want to take a look?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icastflare! View Post
    My internet has been down for the last week and has been going on and off even as I type this. I will try to get my works up sometime,
    Alright, just do it as fast as possible. If necessary, just throw it in a post here
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge