New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: No More Braces

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Default No More Braces

As the title suggests, I no longer have braces. I was overjoyed to see my teeth without metal! However, I'm still getting used to not having them. Somewhat odd thing to talk about considering that I shouldn't complain, but I keep on trying to scratch my hands with something that isn't there, I continuously think that my floss will catch on the wire, and I can no longer show my support of something whenever I get new rubber bands. It seems I can never be satisfied (unless I meet the Doctor, then I shall for as long as I travel with him (if I travel with him)).

Haha, any suggestions on how to get used to the change? Or anythings you suggest I do that I probably have forgotten I could do before I got the metal?

Note: I'm getting my retainer tomorrow (January 31st).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: No More Braces

You get used to it very, very fast. Few days, at the outside.

Anyhow, I have the sort of retainers that are just little wires glued to the back of your teeth, supposed to last ten/twenty years or so. I got five minutes without metal in my mouth, and that was it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Chew gum before you get your retainer. And note - while you could (well I could) get away with chewing gum with braces on, you can't get away with it with the retainer. It will stick to it.

Run your tongue over your teeth lots, enjoy the sensation of finally being able to

And remember, your teeth will be a bit sensitive having had the braces removed - be nice and gentle with them

edit: Moff I'm jealous - I had both types of retainers (not that they're called that over here). I had the one moulded to your mouth for about a year, and after that I had the wire along the teeth bit. Supposed to last for another three years or so. It broke after about a year and a half. They removed it and said I could either go without it or have it replaced. I opted to go without it and was told if my teeth started to move again I should come back and they'd put the braces back on. I went (in my head) 'yeah, not gonna happen'. My lower teeth have moved a bit, but there was no way in hell I was going to get the braces put back on.
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2011-01-31 at 01:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

And remember, your teeth will be a bit sensitive having had the braces removed - be nice and gentle with them
    When I got my braces off years ago, I started eating jello, pudding and drinking fruit smoothies chilled a bit in the fridge. Soft foods like chicken and fish are good to eat as long as they are not too overcooked. Baked potatoes and soft veggies are good to try as well. Avoid salads, candy, soda, and red meat. Anything that will put a taxing on your teeth you should shy away from.
    Undead rockstars mean eternal afterparties. ^vv^

"Denn die Todten reiten Schnell. (For the dead travel fast)"
    — Bram Stoker (Dracula)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it weird that I remember the first time I ever tried to eat anything with braces on (oh lord, that was fail), but cannot remember my first time eating something with them off?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Run your tongue over your teeth lots, enjoy the sensation of finally being able to
    This is also a lot of fun
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

- I still worship you TSO

Spoiler
    Show

*wanders out whistling All Along the Watchtower cover*

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ruik View Post
    Is it weird that I remember the first time I ever tried to eat anything with braces on (oh lord, that was fail), but cannot remember my first time eating something with them off?
    Nope. I remember the first thing I tried eating with braces - minced chicken actually. But I don't remember the first time eating without them. All I really remember is constantly running my tongue over my teeth to enjoy the sensation

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just remember being shocked at having my lower teeth all lined up neat when I ran my tongue over them (they were bunched up before). Bracers were definitely worth the pain and annoyance.
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Note: ALWAYS follow your doctors instructions for the retainer. I have the traditional molded-to-mouth retainer and am down to wearing it when I'm asleep. Technically I should do it for twelve hours but...I normally get 8-10 with no ill effects. BUT I have to wear it every night or my teeth start shifting. It can take as little as 3 days for it to become noticeable. I used to be real bad about it until I realized, hey...I spent X years in braces....might as well keep 'em nice.

My bottom teeth shifted significantly even WITH the retainer, but...well, you don't see bottom teeth as much and my dentist said that can happen.

Boyfriend didn't wear his retainer for a while and cannot at all now. It hurt too much to try back when, and now his teeth are pretty much back to where they were before. >> He's tempted to do braces again, but I refuse to for my bottom teeth (braces hurt!).

So wear the retainer! You only have to do it 24 hours for the first year or few, I think, anyway.

You can chew gum and all that, too...Just take the retainer out when you do so, since you have to take it out to eat and all that jazz anyway.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    Note: ALWAYS follow your doctors instructions for the retainer. I have the traditional molded-to-mouth retainer and am down to wearing it when I'm asleep. Technically I should do it for twelve hours but...I normally get 8-10 with no ill effects. BUT I have to wear it every night or my teeth start shifting. It can take as little as 3 days for it to become noticeable. I used to be real bad about it until I realized, hey...I spent X years in braces....might as well keep 'em nice.
    Yes. This. If I'm being honest, I should have gotten the wire replaced on my bottom teeth, they have shifted a bit, but not so much that I really care. I was very over the whole process by that point. Still, I had friends at school who had braces put on before I did and when I left high school (roughly four years later) they still had theirs on because they didn't follow instructions and didn't use the rubber bands the way they were meant to.

Having said that, they make awesome ties for tiny little plaits

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    You can chew gum and all that, too...Just take the retainer out when you do so, since you have to take it out to eat and all that jazz anyway.
    Really? they must be slightly different to the ones that I had - which weren't even called retainers, mine was called a plate. But I didn't have to wear it 24 hours ever (I took it out at night) and I never took it off to eat. Took it off to clean my teeth though and sometimes had to take it out to get rid of bits of food, but I ate with it in.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by enigmatime View Post
    I was overjoyed to see my teeth without metal!
    Well I was going to congratulate you but now that you say they're not metal that's not a good thing. Metal is awesome.

But yeah, they are a pain. I remember when I first got mine back in middle school. The first three days I had them Everything I bit into hurt. Good to have them gone though!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I didn't do so well with my top retainer (clear plastic - not a plate) after the first year or so, but I had a wire put on my bottom teeth (which were the main offenders in my mouth) and it seems to more or less have kept them in line. So my vote is for the bottom wire. No way for you to forget to wear it then

Actually I really should go see someone about whether I need to have it update/removed (the place I went originally to get my braces is apparently gone - noticed when I drove past last).
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Congratulations enigmatime. I used to get my tongue cought in the wire or having to spit blood for half an hour when I went in to hard playing football (soccer). I was really happy when I lost my braces.
    Awesome Delirium-avatar by Recaiden
    Looking for friendly contact with an evil outsider in the fanclub

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by enigmatime View Post
    Note: I'm getting my retainer tomorrow (January 31st).
    Your retainer IS WORSE then your braces. You can lose it. Also, go to the movies and eat popcorn. LOTS OF POPCORN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.