New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "The Six from Shadow" (IC)

Synia, Mordrent: As the cobblestone street opens up in front of you, the sight of the library is rather intriguing. A massive statue of a woman clutching a scroll has been strategically placed on top of two, massive iron doors. From the reflections of the torches, the stone looks rather red, and the outer architecture is very intricate for a place of learning, complete with spires, buttresses, and bas-reliefs. The night sky is illuminated by myriad torches, as a platoon of guards, priests, and a group of five knights are gathered around the base of the structure, weapons at the ready. Four of the priests have joined hands, their white gold robes a swathe of light against a ruddy background. Twelve of the soldiers are carrying a metal capped ram, and look to be smashing it against the closed portal.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-01-06 at 10:00 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

"Most interesting situation. It seems our comrades have managed to got themselves into quite a bit of trouble. Good sir, you are soldier by nature. What would you say is the best approach in cases such as this? I am afraid my knowledge of war and battle is somewhat... limited."
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

"When faced with overwhelming numbers, your greatest weapon will always be fear. A man who cannot think, cannot hold a sword."

Mordrent focuses inwards, calling upon muscle memories and the blessings of the Perfected One. It is as if the light about Mordrent's form dims ever so slightly as he brings forth his greatsword. Mordrent's form flickers and the great tower shield sets to movement once again.

"Sow distraction as you can. Leave the Fear to Me!"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mordrent draws his sword, activates the animated property of his tower shield, technically his cloak of displacement is already in effect but he uses it in the dramatic sense anyway. Mordrent also uses a swift action to enter Thicket of Blades stance.

He is waiting to see what maneuvers are granted to him by the powers that be and is holding an action to charge and attack with the strongest maneuver available to him after Synia makes any sort action against the soldiers.
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

The half elf beckons a serene smile at the undead knight. "Sounds like a good plan. In that case, allow me to do my magic." With that, she draws her palm over her face and her visage, beautiful as it is grows even prettier. If Mordent would be able to feel it, admiration would probably be the first thing on his mind. Not that Synia is concerned with what he thinks. When her magical gesture is over, she closes her eyes and concentrates for a moment and then she is gone.

All of a sudden, the knights will notice a dark and shapely figure, standing about fifty feet away from them. Even before they can react, the figure lets out an unholy scream, one that shakes a person to the center of their being. And just like that, the figure is gone once again.

When the half elf appears next to Mordent once again, she is smiling once again. "You had your work cut out for you, my friend. Don't be angry with me, I just wanted to help you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Using a standard action to cast Sirine's Grace, gain +4 to charisma and convert my charisma modifier (+13) to deflection bonus to AC for 10 rounds. Next standard action, teleport within range of knights (50 feet), cast Dirge of Discord. Will Save 26, or have your attack rolls and dexterity reduced by 4. Also suffer 50% penalty to their speed. Spellcasters need to make Concentration checks to cast spells. Next standard action, teleport back to Mordent.

Synia's AC raises to 35 for ten rounds.
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2011-01-05 at 05:28 PM.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

5. - Top - End - #395

Sizing up the soldiers Mordrent feels inspiration strike. And with a great roar he hurtles at them. Striking into the first soldier he smashes him straight into the group holding the battering ram and keeps going!

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mordrent uses Doom Charge. Since he is charging he can make a Bullrush as part of the charge. He will power attack for 9. He is attempting to push his target into the same square as one of the soldiers carrying the battering ram.
    Thus. AC becomes 18 until end of next turn.
    Doom Charge (1d20+20)[29] Which is not a threat, so if it hits it deals [roll]8d6+29[/roll]

Mordrent then makes the bullrush attempt (it was after all a charge). [roll]1d20+21[/roll] He'll attempt to move the unlucky sap five feet per each denomination of 5 which he beats the oppossed bullrush attempt (which I at least hope doesn't happen)

And finally as a free action. In a cold voice Mordrent raises his head from the carnage and speaks:

"I am the Walking Death! And in honor of Saint Mellifleur's sacred feast day my masters have sent me to carve the sacrifice. Shall we begin?"
    Last edited by Denomar; 2011-01-05 at 11:06 PM.
    All Hail Fun!
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Synia, Mordrent: The night air is filled with whimpering and wailing as many of the soldiers, dragged from their beds on a cold autumn night, are shaken to their cores by Synia's horrific wailing. Unfortunately, most of the priests seem unperturbed as if protected by something else, and continue casting the joint spell, while the others are busy calming the rest. The soldiers holding the portable ram seem to be similarly unaffected. With the Knights, however, the story is different. One of them calls out to the others, "Stand firm, my brothers and sisters of the Knighthood! Execute counter charge plan Theta! For the glory of Sirramar!" Moving directly in front of the panicking mass, the five Knights-Militant position themselves in a V formation, longswords at the ready, in order to intercept your charge so you barrel down the center. The Knight in the middle takes the brunt of your charge, being knocked back by about 10 feet, and is left kneeling. He seems to be rather hurt, barely lucid, bleeding from his torso and breathing heavily. Looking up at you, he grins.

Spoiler
    Show
    This combat will be run with the Knights and the two of you. I am assuming that Synia held back while Mordrent charged. It will be the Knights' turn now.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-01-06 at 10:23 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

On either side of you, a pair of Knights make their attack. The metallic arcs of their longsword blades in the air cast a long shadow over the barren cobblestone. One of the your attackers, Knights yells out to the heavens, "My lord Sirramar, aid me in punishing this abomination!". The other Knight says nothing, but attacks with a hearty vigor all the same.

Spoiler
    Show
    The girl Knight is going to try and smite you. (1d20+20)[34] Assuming she succeeds, she will normally do 1d8+5, but she gets an additional 8 for smiting, so 1d8+13. However, they all have Amulets of Teamwork, so there's an extra +2 damage for flanking. And then both knights have Tactics of the Wolf active, so that is another 8 bonus damage. So she should do a grand total 1d8+23 damage to you.

The other Knight is going to use the Divine Surge maneuver against you. (1d20+15)[24] Assuming he succeeds, he will do 9d8+15 damage, quite a bit more damage than she might have done.

Rolling for damage in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-01-06 at 11:14 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

8. - Top - End - #398

Mordrent grunts. One Knight's sword knocking into the side of his helmet. The other's blade sizzles straight into his chest. And lodges.

Straightening Mordrent glares at the Knight.

"Pray to your god Hound of Sirramar. I Felt That!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Mordrent rolls initiative.

(1d20+6)[10] ....wow, a four. Fantastic! =D
    Last edited by Denomar; 2011-01-06 at 11:54 PM.
    All Hail Fun!

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Synia, Mordrent: A benevolent smile on her face, the female Knight steps back about a foot, motioning for her allies to move around her, in order to surround you. Her crimson cloaks ripple softly in the wind, and there is a steadfast determination in her eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling initiative for the Knights: (1d20)[1]
    EDIT: ... okay, you can go now.

Drynwyn, Cynath, Pelak, Donovan: From outside the library doors you can hear shouting, and the clash of steel. The chanting of the priests seems to continue unabated, as well as the attempts to break down the barriers from the outside and flood the building. All around you, the fire has spread, and has reached several of the bookshelves. The very air you breathe seems to sizzle and pop. From where you are standing (or lying), you can see what appears to be an open door in the alcove where Verna seems to have gone. There are many other alcoves, however, especially on the upper levels, and there is not much time left.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-01-07 at 11:31 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

10. - Top - End - #400

Grasping the blade in his chest Mordrent gives the weapon a smooth tug and tosses the weapon back to the Knight who had impaled him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Really just a fluff move since I technically didn't disarm him thus no actions spent.

Bringing his own weapon to his visor in grim warrior's salute Mordrent steps back and speaks.

"Fight with honor. And to the Victor; Strength"

Then setting his weapon he waits for the Knight to approach. Mentally, Mordrent calls to mind the lessons of the Stormguard. Perhaps they will give him an advantage.

Spoiler
    Show

Mordrent takes a five foot step back and will Fight Full Defensive (AC 31). He readies an action to attack the first knight to step forward. His turn then ends and he takes 15 points of damage as his delayed damage pool empties.
    Last edited by Denomar; 2011-01-08 at 01:32 AM.
    All Hail Fun!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Stepping from behind the corner, the half elf gestures her hands towards the knights and priests. Her eyes flare red as she intones the dread of the Abyss itself. Suddenly, a cloying miasma of darkness, darker even than the night itself envelops the knights and Mordent. She hopes their enemies willpower is not strong enough to resist that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unholy Blight on the densest group. Will save 29, or take (5d6)[17] damage, half on succesful save, quarter for neutral aligned creatures. Mordent is unaffected. Same will save or be sickened for (1d4)[4] rounds.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Barbarian in the Playground

furious Re: "The Six from Shadow" (IC)

As drynwyn shakes off his paralysis, he quickly steps away from his attacker. He then makes a series of powerful gestures. Speaking words of arcane power, fire flows from his dark eye. It forms itself into a wall of dancing fire, blocking him and his companions off from the Knights and the door. He then turns to Cynath and says: So, I'll trade you one Teleport out of jail free card for a high-power healing spell. Now where is Synia? I hope she's not getting it on with Mordrent back in the alleyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a 5 foot step away from our stubby friend and casting wall of fire, with the radiating side facing the knights.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2011-01-08 at 08:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Drynwyn, Cynath, Pelak, Donovan: As the flames raging throughout the stacks are bolstered by the Wall of Fire conjured within the library doors, ebony and indigo smoke begins to fill the air around you, and you can feel the heat level sharply increase, as if you are standing uncomfortably close to a roaring fireplace.

Spoiler
    Show
    1d4 heat damage to all four of you, and you are all now under the effect of a Heat Metal spell.

Synia, Mordrent: Through the stained glass windows of the library, you see the same columns of billowing purple black smoke. The soldiers with the ram seem to be still supernaturally protected by the circle of priests, but many of the soldiers outside are showing signs of pain from the intense heat around them.

The Knights surrounding Mordrent, however, are in an entirely different predicament entirely. While they are far enough away from the library as not to be feeling any adverse effects from the inferno raging within, they look rather nauseous and shocked at Synia's depraved spell casting.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-01-08 at 09:13 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #404

Drynwyn calls everyone to him. Everyone stand nex to me! If you want to explain more to us, come witth us he shouts to the mysterious person and his companions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drynwyn casts Teleport as soon as everyone is near him, or after 1 round has passed and the shabby person isn't here. Fluff left to you. Rolling the percentage, aiming for the opposite side of the library from the knights, about 20 feet from the wall.
    (1d100)[84]
    Spoiler
    Show
    an 84... That probably works, given the proximity of our destination.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2011-01-08 at 11:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing her magic having a desired effect, the half elf once again lets out an ear splitting scream on unholy cacophony.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Dirge of Discord again, same consequences as before, this time at DC 28. Lets not forget anybody suffering from unholy blight suffers a -2 penalty to saves. Mordent is unaffected, because this is [Mind affecting].

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Walking next to Drynwyn, Cynath holds his rapier at the ready and shakes his head. "I do not believe they ever intended to tell us anything... This whole thing was a trap, nothing else. If the fire won't kill us, the watch and knights outside soon will. It is time we took our leave, least all of us burn to crisp".

"And if you are still there, listening" Cynath shouts defiantly, his tone ice-cold even admist the burning building "I will come for you! Nothing will keep you from my vengeance... Not distance between nations, foes or even the veil of death itself! You will suffer for your insolence!".

17. - Top - End - #407

Drynwyn waves his arms, finishing his teleport spell. He and his friends vanish, reappearing outside the library, on the side opposite the knights. He then turns to Cynath and say: How about that healing spell? Cast it, than I suggest we "inconvenience" the knights.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2011-01-09 at 06:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Drynwyn, Cynath, Pelak, Donovan: The harsh light from the library flames illuminates the quiet city street. Above you, the night sky is clear and tranquil. In the distance, the cacophony of the fight and the assault on the library doors continues unabated. As the four of you begin to get your bearings, a shadow detaches itself from a nearby building. While she seems to have suffered a little bit of burning, Verna seems otherwise unharmed. Sauntering towards you, she begins to applaud sardonically. "My, what a troupe you are! The audience roars with appreciation, the acknowledgment of a splendid performance. Truly, such a stage has never been set." She pauses, considering Drynwyn and Cynath carefully, and maintaining a healthy distance. "... does it not amuse you to speak in such riddles? I would think so. Until next time, my dear fellows, farewell." That said, she casts a dark powder all about her, and disappears.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-01-09 at 06:37 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"...I hate her already" Cynath says in slightly venomous tone, sheathing his rapier and folding his arms. "Now I suggest we make haste to either aid our comrades or to escape. I am quite sure that the guards will be through the doors any second now. Personally I would love to slaughter someone after this, but it is not my choice alone".

20. - Top - End - #410

BOTH. .We helpmour comrades escape. Just as soon as you heal me like I asked. You stop them from getting to me. As soon as Mordrent is with us, we teleport our. ?Drynwyn then lowers the hood of his cloak so the Knights will be unable to see his face.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Synia, Mordrent: The Knights seem to be stabilizing themselves and preparing for another attack, when suddenly, a priest emerges from the scrambling mass of men near the library doors, badly wounded, and half of his face covered in angry burns. He wears a contorted expression of pain and outrage on his face. "May Sirramar curse your barren souls, heathens, so that you never set foot here ever again. For the Sun Lord!" Throwing his hands up in a dramatic gesture, he calls up the will of his deity, in the form of a roaring column of divine fire, surrounding Synia.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Flame Strike, at 10th level. 10d6 damage, Reflex for half, and half divine, half fire damage. Spell resistance applies. (10d6)[29]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-01-10 at 10:49 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

The fire may burn, but when it is snuffed out, the half elf doesn't look much worse for wear. Singed, yes, but not badly burned. She barks a loud laughter at the priest. You are too kind priest. Allow me to return the favor. I require a boon from you. I require... your holy symbol. Your false god has abandoned you, you have no use for it anymore anyway, right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    As said, I assume that Reflex save in OOC was enough. You calculate the damage and tell me how much of it I suffer. Fire resistance 10 applies to fire portion of damage. Then Synia will cast Entice Gift on foolish pries and ask for his holy symbol. Will save 27 or move next to her and hand the symbol to her. Hopefully he has to get pass Mordent...

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Grunting slightly, the elf mutters, pressing his hand against the shoulder of the wizard and directing small surge of healing magic at him. "I cannot do much healing today, my current powers are more combat-orientated. You just have to make sure to keep out of the way of all pointy metal objects".

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Cure Light Wounds on Drynwyn.

(1d8+5)[11](HP returned)

24. - Top - End - #414

Drynwyn focuses his mind and floats into the air, stopping just as he can see the battle on the other side. He then smiles, purposefully moving his arms. His body is laced with fiery light, which flows down his finger, forming a sphere, which he launches into the fray. From high above, a slit of black flame can be seen, giving the blast the appearance of a dragon's eye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using boots of levitation to fly above the library as a move action, than casting a prepared empowered fireball. Save DC 21 thanks to spell focus. Damage Roll: (15d6)[47]

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Synia: The very air seems to be torn asunder as Drynwyn's Fireball rips into both the Knights and Mordrent, engulfing them in the embrace of flames. You cannot yet tell who has survived the blast. All around you, however, the chaos seems to be abating. The soldiers seem to be falling back into formation, whipped into shape by several priests, who are promptly casting defensive spells around themselves. The exception is the young, zealous priest, who seems to wear a dazed expression on his face, and has begun to walk towards you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't realize that you cast fireball at the Knights, Drynwyn. Yeah, they were flanking him, so if you hit them with a Fireball (they did not make their save) then Mordrent is hit too, as it is a 20 ft burst.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the time combat had been engaged Donovan had been preparing, from his pack he had extracted a pair of masks. The first was beautiful, a smooth porcelain finish of an angel; full of classical beauty, its visage an expression of bliss. The second was of a grimacing dragon, a slight snout of snarling teeth extended from its crimson scales. First the angel was donned, then the dragon; almost seeming to melt over and subsume the first. Then his form shifted as it is often want to do, dull bronze scales replacing flesh, legs bending into digit grade and face pulling out into a snout to fill the mask he wore.

Sprinting to the doorway with limber new legs he sized up the crowd for a moment and inhaled, leaning backwards. The next moment a jet of fire sprung forth from his mouth, a cone of flame engulfing all before him for a moment in a wash of flames.

Spoiler
    Show
    Been not posting for a while so please forgive me for the abundance of actions. Two full round to don and activate the pair of masks, free to change forms. Assuming I did this before engaging in combat if thats okay

Altered form taken is that of an Asabi, gives 50ft movement, 20ft burrow, combat reflexes and doubled jump lengths.

Move action to get into line of sight and aim, standard action to breath fire in a 30ft cone of fire, hitting as much of the opponents as I can whilst missing the fighter. DC 18 reflex save for half damage.

Damage roll: (4d8)[14]

27. - Top - End - #417

Mordrent held his stance, ready to strike at any who came near. Any moment now the world would collapse into the dance of combat once more. Any....

On the edge of his senses Mordrent feels movement and heat as a tiny bead like a red hot marble comes flying past his face to stop between himself and the ring of knights.

Mordrent's eyes widen. Acting at a speed that belies his size he barks a phrase and leaps back as his Tower Shield maneuvers in front of him and slams upright into the ground. Mordrent only has just enough time press himself behind the shield when the spell explodes like a great bomb. Mordrent grits his teeth, holding the shield before him. As quickly as the heat comes, it passes. Mordrent is unharmed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mordrent makes his reflex save in order to use a swift action to plant his tower shield in front of him and take cover behind it. He gains Full Cover and thus takes no damage.
    All Hail Fun!

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

The half elf watches in amazement the show before her. That dark knight... he is quite something. Too bad he's already dead... he would be... most delicious. Breaking that train of thoughts, she smiles at the priest, as she receives the gift from him. "Thank you my dear. You have been most kind." She then points her finger at one of the knights and yells in commanding voice. "You! You are my puppet now! Now serve your mistress!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Accepting the holy symbol from the priest when he offers it to me. That can happen even out of turn. The spell then ends on the priest. Synia will remain in her position. She will then cast Puppeteer at the knight that looks most healthy. Will save 28 or he receives -4 penalty to STR and DEX. He must then mimic every action that Synia makes. Here I'm not sure and the spell description says nothing about it. Can you command your puppet as move action or standard action? If former, she will try to make him commit suicide right away. If latter, she will wait for next round. At that time, he receives another save(same DC) or kill himself. If he makes the save, he falls unconscious for (1d4)[2] rounds.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Synia: The male Knight, his eyes glazing over slowly, sinks to the ground, seemingly unconscious. Behind him, the library has been completely engulfed by flames, and the portable ram left behind at the door. One of the remaining priests, a female dwarf, seeing what will happen should the Knights fall, takes an ornate rod from her robe. Brandishing it above her head, she fires a series of golden sparks over a mile into the frigid night sky.

Donovan: As you approach the mass of soldiers and priests, the sonorous chanting of the four clerics becomes more clear. The priest that used the device seems to stand still for a moment, then calls out to the troops. "Stand firm, chosen of Sirramar! These abominations exist against the will of our Lord, and must be eradicated! For the good of the people and this city, you must stand your ground!" The soldiers seem to have been forming into line right as your breath attack hits them from the side.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-01-12 at 02:44 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What about the good of yourselves idiots?" Donovan shouts, a subtle hiss added to his voice by his new form. He begins to dash in the direction of Synia, his form beginning to blur with shadowy touches as he goes. As he runs he sizes up the priests before deciding on his target, the one who tried to encourage her servants. The better to crush their chances. The priest will find the darkness of the night snaking round her neck in a crushing force.

"Can't leave you all alone with these brutes can we?" Donovan smirks upon his arrival by Synia.

Spoiler
    Show
    swift action to activate child of shadow (20% concealment if I move). Move action to move up to 50ft in the direction of synia. Standard action to activate shadow garotte.

rolling to hit: (1d20+9)[28] Touch attack, ranged
    rolling for damage: (5d6)[24]
    Last edited by Eiko; 2011-01-12 at 02:59 PM.