New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: "The Six from Shadow" (IC)

"He has given his word, that should be enough for us. After all, he knows the price of weakness."

Mordrent turns to the youth with a grim smile.

"Perhaps you'll find some backbone eventually, the world will swallow you who without one.
    As for us, I have doubts we will reach the manor undetected. And this little worm won't hold the knight's attention for very long. Either we split up or I'll have to draw attention to myself. That shouldn't be too difficult."
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Actualy if a distraction is required I think I would be good. The guards can't fly, and if the man they're chasing is simply, gone what can they do? I must say though I'm far more inclined to simply finding a way past undetected. After all the guards dont even know we're in the city at this point correct?"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

That seems like a good idea. Go out and create a distraction. 5 minutes after you leave, we will head out and make for the estate. You can meet us their after you elude the guards with some shapeshifting.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

"But really, I don't see why such a distraction is needed. I like the kid's plan, simply wait for dawn and the guards to go away. If we're spending any decent amount of time in this city we need to learn to blend in. If anyone feels they can't then why did you even bother coming here?"

Donovan sighs resignedly into his hand, the action looking strangely adult on his current form. "If anyone feels incapable of walking across a town in daylight feel free to say so." The sarcasm is more than evident.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

After several minutes of hearing you debate strategy, Artan says, "Well, there is an easier way to do this, as the good sir suggested. It is nearly dawn, the curfew almost over. You can walk to this estate of you'se in the streets, good sirs." As if to illustrate his point, the light coming through the manhole cover above you seems to be a little bit brighter, and the noise of guards has long since gone.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-20 at 07:46 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

"See?" Donovan smiled, placing his arm around Artan; the pair were disconcerting to look at to say for sure. "I knew he was a smart kid, I wouldn't look like him if he wasn't a smart kid."

Turning to look at the boy he smiled warmly "Nice to see you've grown a backbone. That'll serve you well, its all about knowing your limits then living on their edge."

"So sirs and madams, lets hit the streets and learn the town yeah?"
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-20 at 08:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

Let's indeed.

8. - Top - End - #98

Mordrent pulls his cloak tight about himself with a frown. He does not speak and merely gestures you onward.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise check to cover as much armor as he possibly can with his cloak. He's not very good at this sort of thing, and he sorta stands out in the best of times.

(1d20+1)[12]

A blind Goat at midnight could identify him by sense of smell.
    Last edited by Denomar; 2010-12-20 at 08:57 PM.
    All Hail Fun!
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

"There's only one madam here Donovan. I know that is hardly enough for your ways, but it'll have to do." With that, Synia follows behind the group. Mordent may be first class when it comes to fighting and killing things, but disguise ain't his forte. If anybody would notice them, perhaps a quick talking would get them out of harms way fast enough. To that end, she actively looks for anything unusal, like guards being too nosy for their own good.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+24)[40]
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Let us go then", Cynath says and begins to follow the rest of the group, but stops and doubles back to the boy as if he has forgotten something. "Thanks, by the way. You have been most helpful" he remarks and gives the kid one silver piece. "Try to stay alive, won't you?" he says almost in sense of light comraderie, patting the lad to the shoulder before turning and walking after the rest of the group.

"Your technique still needs work, though. Try to wear padded boots, should reduce the noise. And don't scream that much, it never helps anyway if someone does want to kill you" he remarks over his shoulder.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

As you open up the manhole cover, you notice that this sewer was right in the middle of an alley. Luckily, there are few people walking around, as the enforced curfew is over for tonight. The buildings on either side of you extend several floors, and at one end of the alley is a large brick wall. In the distance behind you, a soon to be bustling marketplace assaults your senses, with people setting up their stands for the day, the red black aroma of roasting meat, and the early cries of merchants hawking their wares. You have arrived in the Ivory Market of Solstice.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

12. - Top - End - #102

Drynwyn heads towards 14 redwing, following the boy's instructions. On the way through the Ivory Market, he takes note of any stalls selling gems or arcane materials.

13. - Top - End - #103

Look at them! All these insects prancing about hawking their wares as if they were actually Free. Mordrent would have burst out laughing at how ridiculous they were if he didn't have such self control. He follows closely at Drynwyn's heels. It wouldn't do for the little man to hurt himself while under his watch.
    All Hail Fun!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Synia decides that sticking close to Mordent would be a wise idea. Not so much for his protection, but for her own. The undead fighter has proven to be a worthwile compainon and she could appreciate the skill with sword, even if she possesed none. She did posses other skills though. Picking her lute from her back, she struck a few chords. "Tell me Mordent... do you appreciate anything besides a good blade? Does music move your heart... or maybe even your feet? What is it that you enjoy perusing, other than your own perfection with the blade?"
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Staying close by to the rest of the group, the rogue studies the stalls they pass, wondering if any of those he remembers are still operating in the Ivory Market. Marketplace is both good and bad thing for them to end up in: good in the fact that there are usually lots of people there, providing cover, and of course the obvious bonus of being able to shop some. The bad side is mostly centered around the guards and knights who are bound to patrol near the market or in it, but hopefully they are able to reach their destination before opportunistic patrol forces them to flee or initiate a slaughter in middle of busy street.

"And just what makes you think he actually has a heart?" he asks Synia politely, at same time looking around to spot wealthly-looking targets to "liberate" some funds from.

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling a Spot check to see if there is anyone worth pickpocketing amongst the clientele of the Market.

(1d20+10)[13] (Spot)

Edit: And RNG throws hissy fit...again.
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-12-21 at 01:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

The bard looks puzzled, before laughing. "Silly me, this is Mordent we're speaking about. I guess if I can't move his heart, I'll just have to work doubly hard on moving his feet, right?"

17. - Top - End - #107

Drynwyn glances back. Oh, he definitely has a heart. It's not beating, but it's definitely their. I should know, I've animated my share of undead."
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2010-12-21 at 01:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

As you walk through the streets, the city seems to come alive around you, a more beautiful and complex reanimation process than has ever been seen. Passing under a marble arch into the residential districts, the hubbub and noise seems to largely fade out, leaving you alone.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes, we've heard that like thousand times already." Synia says that with a pretty obvious boredom. "And you would probably do well not to boast about it out loud, less someone overhears us."

20. - Top - End - #110

Well, these must be the residential districts. Drynwyn lowers his voice and continuesNow Cynath, you will probably want to rob some of these places, and that's fine. Just don't get caught. By the way, if you'd like, I can scan the residents thoughts and maybe figure out what defenses they have.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

"My my, starting early on the sinning and vice then gentlemen? Can't we just enjoy the sights, the sounds" he pauses as the pass a bread stand "the smells? Even simple pleasures are still pleasures. If you stopped acting so suspicious then maybe you could even enjoy yourself without the guards taking notice and putting an end to less than legal enjoyment."

"I mean, we own a mansion now, aren't you going to enjoy living in a city rather than forcing us to leave before we've even arrived?"

The child begins darting ahead and exploring, never straying overfar from the group, keeping them in eyesight. Whether Donovan is simply playing the part or genuinely enjoying himself is anyone's guess.
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-21 at 02:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Rob? You wound me" the elf says with sense of dignity creeping into his voice despite efforts to keep it neutral. "Any street thug can 'rob'. What I do is fine art, almost magical in nature... I don't have to lower myself to beating drunken louts in back alleys for few meager silver pieces".

Looking around, he adds "but if you can do it it will be much appreaciated. Ellas does not provide me with everything perfect operation needs".

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

"Donovan has the right idea. Can't we wait a little longer until indulging ourselves in our... less than honorable professions? I am most interested in seeing what awaits us in this mansion that supposedly belongs to us now. And getting some comfort would be most appreciated, especially after spending so much time on a horseback and in sewers."

24. - Top - End - #114

You got it. Just tell me which house to target... Although, we may wish to visit our mansion first, then case these later. Your call.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Let us visit the mansion first. I can always...cash in some of those noble houses later on. For now, I want to see what kind of place that old sack of bones had in Solstice"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

After peeling off into a suitably dark and unwatched alley Donovan returns to the group with his hands bare and ringless, hood down and with blond hair cascading around a content, if a little pale, face. Simple, dull coloured but well made clothing makes up his attire, as well as a satchel bag at his hip. Those of the party who had bothered to notice that he uses his ring to shapeshift and that he is without it now may jump to the reasonable conclusion this is his real body.

He half jogged to rejoin the group as a whole, before taking up position walking next to Synia "Ah, but why must we find ourselves in the company of brutes without social etiquette. 'Tis a cruel fate that binds us to this destiny" He winks at her then grins at the group in general. "We really will have to see about acquiring you all more suitable clothing, dark robes and armour do not befit the wealthy manor owning family we have just become. Couldn't hurt for you to at least feign civility."
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-21 at 02:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Family? What kind of simpleton would fall for that ruse?" Cynath asks in very, very dry tone. "And if you try to get me into some ridiculous attire, you will have to tear my clothes off me first". The slight narrowing of his eyes is more than enough to tell the most that to try such would be to invite fight to the death.
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-12-21 at 02:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Why not wear dark robes? Just upgrade to some better dark robes.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

As you walk down what appears to be Redwing Street, the houses, while remaining opulent, slowly become more dilapidated. Arriving in front of number 14, you is not different. It is well built, put of dark stone. It looks to be two floors high, but rather large. The front door seems to be constructed out of ebony, and there is a faint aura of magic about the outer walls.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #120

Drynwyn approaches the door and moves his hands in a complex gesture. His left eye pulses, and the pupil dilates,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting detect magic (Prepared, not spontaneous), 60 ft. cone, from door of house (Vertical as well as horizontal. Will scan all within range for 3 rounds, so I can detect location, strenght, and school of any magical auras.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2010-12-21 at 03:07 PM.