New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "The Six from Shadow" (IC)

You can detect a faint protection aura of some sort, throughout the house. There is something else on the door, a very potent defensive enchantment of some sort.

Spoiler
    Show
    The entire house is under the effects of a permanent Endure Elements spell, and it seems as if the front door, when opened, triggers an empowered Blade Barrier.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-21 at 03:26 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Move my heart. Mordrent thought. beneath his helm Mordrent's lip curls into a sneer. What would be the point of that? Out loud he mutters only. "The only thing that will move my feet is a spear pointed at them."

As they approach the manor house Mordrent-despite his best intentions-Mordrent is overcome by a feeling of reminiscence. This is after all, very much like coming home. Although, the memories he has of this place are not happy one's they are memories nonetheless.

Turning his eyes to Synia he regards her carefully. She is...attractive, he'll admit. If such a thing had any natural affect on him. Strange that someone would be interested in trying to have a conversation with him at all...

To the group he speaks. "Shall I ring the bell?"
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"And bring down every magical trap that Cho'Sul could have cast on it right down upon us? Don't be absurd" Cynath says, nodding towards Drynwyn. "Let him finish with his examination first so we will see if we have to simply avoid that gate".

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would not do that.There is some sort of powerful magic on the door. We have a few options: 1, I attempt to dispel whatever magic is on the door, 2, I attempt to identify the magic, or 3, find an alternate route.

5. - Top - End - #125

What about the wall? I wonder how thin it is....
    All Hail Fun!
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.

6. - Top - End - #126

It might be a good idea to not knock holes in our own mansion. Drynwyn steps back from the door, in case his spell triggers anything. He raises his arms, and blueish sparks launch form his fingertips towards the door.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Dispel Magic spontaneously, targeted version, at the door. Rolling dispel check: (1d20+10)[23]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

You feel a strange, tugging sensation in your gut as you attempt to cast out the magic imbued in the door. Sparks race across the ebony surface, and there is a scent of burning flesh in the air. Unfortunately, it is to no avail, as when you finish your efforts, the enchantment remains mostly unpreturbed.

Spoiler
    Show
    The dispel DC was 26, by the way.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-21 at 04:44 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

"So, what does the trap do and did you get rid of it?"

Donovan sits down on the pavement, leaning back onto his arms as he relaxes to watch.

9. - Top - End - #129

I did not get rid of it, and I don't know what it does. It might not be a trap, it might be.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

"So, who feels lucky enough to see if it has more than one use?" at this he grins ferally. Time to see who was actually stupid enough to try it. In the mean time, he went about finding a suitable ground floor window for a good look inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once he finds a suitable window will use the shadow jaunt manouever to teleport inside then spend full round action refreshing manoeuvres

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Donovan:

As the lingering shadows dissipate, you find yourself in what used to be an opulent dining room. From the looks of things, the entire house has been completely gutted, from the tapestries to the chandeliers. Even the fine wood paneling has been ripped out from most of the walls. Strangely, the front hall has been left untouched, with a wooden lever next to the door.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

12. - Top - End - #132

Drynwyn calls out to his companion inside the house Do you see anything that might disarm whatever's on the door?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Nothing immediatly" If his shouted if somewhat muffled reply. He looks around for something to hide the lever with, should there be anything suitable he shall conceal it after pulling it.

"Stand back, I'm going to try an ancient trick passed down from my father" Technically true, making the simple sound difficult could be quite the useful trick. He pulls the lever and listens for the sound of a mechanism.

Should nothing go wrong he will then shout "Any way of knowing if the trap still works?"
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-21 at 05:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

There is a small flash of indigo light, and then nothing. You hear a clanking noise as the door opens slowly by itself. Through the doorway, you can see the faces of your companions.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-21 at 05:54 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #135

Drynwyn enters the room and looks around. Well, this room seems nice. He quickly looks around the room for anything of value.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on search check. +1 modifier, that gives me an 11.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2010-12-21 at 06:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

You find what appears to be a beautiful, hand carved figurine of a woman, inside one of the cabinets in the front hall. It seems to be made out of onyx, with ivory for her locks and garnets for her eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Geography) check would be appropriate here.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-21 at 06:18 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the door opens Donovan grins and quickly don's his ring. As the party walks in they will be greeted by an old man in a dusty grey suit bowing respectfully; his face weathered by age and a thin pair of spectacles adorning his bearded face.

"You rang sir?" Was Donovan's drawling inquiry before he straightened up and laughed. "I'm afraid Sirs and Madam are late to the party, the other guests have already left and taken the furniture with them. Quite the shame really, we'll have to get replacements ordered in."

18. - Top - End - #138

Indeed we will. Perhaps our friend Cynath will "pick some up". Drynwyn than takes a close look at the statuette, attemting to estimate its value and if he knows anything about it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Making an untrained Appraise check on the statuette, with +6 INT i should get an estimate. (1d20+6)[18]. Alsoo making Knowledge Arcana and Dungeoneering check, just in case they help (Only knowledge skills with ranks)
    (1d20+19)[24] (1d20+19)[24]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

From your own skill pool, you discern that it is a holy drow figurine of some sort, and is worth several thousand crowns, at the least. It seems to absorb the light around it in an almost parasitic fashion.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #140

surveying the ruins Mordrent has but one thing to say.

He sounds fairly surprised too.

"I Like it."
    All Hail Fun!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

As you enter what used to be the kitchen, you are confronted by a rather peculiar sight. Bolted to the wall is what looks to be a fully decomposed skeleton. There is no fresh blood left, but a still glistening message has been preserved on the floor tiles below him. It reads, in Common, "And so, the six arrive at last, just as planned. Come to the Library of Aen by the eleventh hour tonight." As you read, the letters erupt in flames and disappear.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-21 at 06:46 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #142

Attention group. I found this holy drow figurine, it hsould be worth a couple thousand crowns. It is nonmagical, since I didn't pick up anything but a general protective aura and the door when I scanned the house for magic. Does anyone know any more about it? Dry

23. - Top - End - #143

[COLOR="DarkRed/"]This is an interesting development. Does anyone know about the library of Aen? Synia? If not, we may assume it is the library in this house. Being a wizard, I imagine Cho'Sul would have one. We should check the house.[/COLOR]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    rolling bardic knowledge on both the statue and the library (you never know)
    Statue:(1d20+6)[21]
    Library:(1d20+6)[10]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Result of Bardic Knowledge:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Library of Aen is the city's library. It is devoted to the goddess of prose and knowledge, Aen herself. It is located on the far side of the Ivory Market, further to the southeast of Solstice. It is overseen by an administrative body who reports to the priesthood of Sirramar.

As for the statue, it is a religious icon to Lolth, the Spider Queen, most likely the result of drow influence in Solstice, as some of the deeper tunnels and catacombs under the city lead to the Underdark.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-21 at 08:12 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #146

Well, it says we need to be at the library by the 11th hour tonight. Based on the nature of this message, whatever takes place will likely be something that we do not want to be public. I suggest we go there now. I will study it, so that I can teleport back after curfew.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The message refers to the city's library not the liche's, though its within the city walls and likely a public building it can actually also be considered a temple to its namesake; Aen a goddess of writing in all its forms. This is interesting as its actually owned and run by Sirrimar's lot and thus has very little to do with Aen. Its just on the other side of the ivory market."

After a few moments of likely awkward silence Donovan sighs and then exclaims "What, you never bothered to inquire about the cities you find yourselves near or in?"

28. - Top - End - #148

"No Donavan. I rarely needed to know more than 'slay all who live there,' Master Cho'sul's directives were usually straight to the point. A shame this one is dead. I do wish I could have asked him who left this message"

Mordrent glances at Cynath. That would be your territory would it not?
    Last edited by Denomar; 2010-12-21 at 07:23 PM.
    All Hail Fun!

29. - Top - End - #149

Well, Cynath? Do you have the skill to learn anything from this man's spirit?

30. - Top - End - #150

I don't believ Cynath has the power to do anything. I suggest we head to the library.