New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: "The Six from Shadow" (IC)

"A rather casual dismissal of another's capabilities there. I'm not sure I approve at all. Care to prove what makes it so you can say that? After all if leadership is for the strong then you must believe in your abilities to order us all about."

At first he acts brittle, his tone with an edge to it, before he seems to regain control of himself. He licks his lips and then speaks almost dismissively. "Go the the library if you want to waste time certainly, but its barely past dawn and our mark isn't expecting us till near midnight."
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-21 at 08:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

I agree. More to see in the mansion probably.
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Of course, I was getting ahead of myself. Let us continue into the next room of this mansion.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Treading throughout the ruins, you notice a strange pattern. Here and there, valuable items are strewn throughout the wreckage. A fine linen cloak, quite sturdy for an item of its make. A pair of finely crafted bead necklaces. A scarab charm of some sort. Whoever wrecked the manor must have done it for some other reason than to loot it, or these would not still be here. The stairs up to the second floor are completely demolished, and from the looks of things, there is little to see up there anyhow.

Spoiler
    Show
    You find:
    - Heward's Handy Haversack x1
    - Necklace of Prayer Beads (30 semiprecious stones) x2
    - +2 Cloak of Resistance x1
    - Golembane Scarab x1
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-21 at 08:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since whoever destroyed this place felt no reason to loot it, they most likely did so for some other reason. Cho'Sul may have had enemies here. We should be on our guard in the library. It could easily be a trap. Drynwyn looks around for a set of stairs or the like as he passes thorugh each room. He alos attempts to spot anything of value.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2010-12-21 at 09:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

There seems to be something peculiar in one of the antechambers. Built into the wall is an exquisite, wood paneled cabinet that has been left untouched, a veritable alien flower in a wasteland. The latch appears to be in working condition, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    UMD check (DC 25) for anyone trying to access the secret of the cabinet.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eiko View Post
    "A rather casual dismissal of another's capabilities there. I'm not sure I approve at all. Care to prove what makes it so you can say that? After all if leadership is for the strong then you must believe in your abilities to order us all about."

At first he acts brittle, his tone with an edge to it, before he seems to regain control of himself. He licks his lips and then speaks almost dismissively. "Go the the library if you want to waste time certainly, but its barely past dawn and our mark isn't expecting us till near midnight."
    "No, he is right. I would have to pray to my deity to be able to learn anything from this corpse, as she has not granted me that power today. Besides, the body is so badly damaged that I do not believe it can tell us anything worthwhile even if I try" Cynath replies solemnly. "So I believe more traditional means of gathering information are in order".

Walking after Drynwyn, he shakes his head at the destruction and pauses to pick up the Necklace of Prayer Beads, turning it thoughtfully in his hands. "Such a waste. It would take us a good while to get this place fixed up again... If we do try to do so, maybe we could invest in little better security solutions than Cho'Sul did".

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Synia puts her hands on the cabinet and begins murmuring words of arcane power under breath to herself. After only a few seconds, she beckons a wide grin. "This is almost too easy. I would think Cho'Sul would protect his secrets better than this."

Spoiler
    Show
    UMD check 25, she can make it automatically.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"If it seems to be too easy, it often is", the elf remarks as he enters the room, still turning the prayer beads thoughtfully in his hands. "Nevertheless, it is good that at least some of us can unlock the arcane mysteries of this place. It is bit...outside my department".

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

"and mine, I'm beginning to think I should remedy that...."

Mordrent frowns briefly.

"What did you find?"
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

The cabinet opens slowly, the mirrored sections retracting into the wall and disappearing, like smoke off of water. Beyond, there is a stairwell that seems to extend under the ground. The walls are reinforced with a dark, alien stone. The empty torch in the holster beyond the cabinet, as soon as the cabinet dismantles itself, ignites into eerie green flames.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Well, it seems there are some secrets in this place that have not been found by those that wrecked it before we arrived", the rogue thinks aloud and bows his head slightly at Synia. "Good to have someone in handy who can unlock the mysteries here. Shall we?" he says mildly, gesturing at the stairwell.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

As you descend, you notice a fell odor on the air, a pungent stench of rot that only seems to increase the further your go. At the bottom of the stairwell is a small antechamber. The walls are the same color, and the lighting the same. There seems to be nothing here, just a dead end.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-22 at 09:11 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

"Like I said, that was easy. I very much the old bag of bones made everything that easy. I guess we'll see soon enough." When they arrive to the dead end, Synia frowns. "Case in point. I could use your help here. Maybe if we look hard enough, we'll find something. There just has to be something. No way Cho'Sul would go to all the pain of hiding the dead end."

Spoiler
    Show
    Roling Search and Spot in OOC.
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2010-12-22 at 09:26 AM.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

While examining the left wall, your hand seems to pass through it. Apparently, the lich was more clever than he appeared.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Now it's time for Synia to frown. No idea what would be hiding on the other side of the wall. Despite the credit given to him(or rather, the lack of it), Cho'Sul was smart. Bowing her head a little, she whispers in Abyssal. "May the powers of my fiendish overlord protect me." She then tries stepping through the wall, hoping her luck would turn out for the best once again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Inciting Evil's Blessing, +11 bonus to all saves for five rounds.
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2010-12-22 at 10:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as Synia steps through the illusory wall, there is an audible sound, that of a hand bell ringing throughout the darkness. There is a grinding noise, and an immobile, vertical curtain of whirling blades made of pure force springs up around her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll a Reflex save [DC 24]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-22 at 10:07 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Doing her best to avoid the blades, Synia is far too busy to even shout a warning to her comrades.

Spoiler
    Show
    SR 16 still in place, if it makes any change. Probably not, but it merits mentioning. As for that reflex...

(1d20+21)[31]

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Upon hearing whispered words of abyssal Donovan's eyes widen with comprehension, well well well, I wonder why our charming companion knows such dark ways. When she walks through the wall and a bell chiming can be heard he bristles and takes up a more battle ready stance almost on reflex.

Spoiler
    Show
    swift action to enter child of shadow stance: concealment if I move

"Are you still there?"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

As Synia manages to weave her way through the blade barrier, she finds herself in a dark chamber. Row upon row of bookshelves line the walls, and the air is thick with the rank stench of congealed flesh. Near the end of the hall, there is a large rack, from which several abominations hang, the result of failed experiments. From the looks of it, this was Cho'Sul's library and laboratory.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Breathing out a sight of relief, Synia takes in the full vista before her. Her eyes easily penetrate the darkness and she can't help but once smile to herself. I bet Drywyn will love this. How very predictable... Hearing Donovan's inquiry from the other side of the wall, she aswers back. "I am ok. Though if you value your skin, you will not follow me. There are enough blades this side of wall to chop even Mordent into little pieces. Look on your side of the wall, maybe there's a switch or something to turn it off. I'll do the same on this side." Of course, doing this could take time...

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking for anything interesting, also taking care to notice any switch that would turn the blade barrier of on my side of laboratory.

Spot - (1d20+24)[25]
    Spellcraft - (1d20+15)[26], to see if there's anything particulary interesting, magic related.
    Taking 20 on Search, for a grand total of 26. Taking pain to avoid blade barrier.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

"How thick is the barrier and how long is the room, if I jump forward ten feet will I survive the experience?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

There is no switch that you notice, though the blade barrier disappears after several minutes. From a shadowed alcove to your left, you can hear the plaintive whimpering of what sounds to be a person of some sort. A further investigation reveals a humanoid figure, bound in chains and half starved. He cries out to you, "Please, help me. You have to let me out of here, I'm begging you!" His eyes have been burnt out with a poker, and he has terrible scars all over his body.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-22 at 11:04 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

"You'll need to jump at least twice as long to survive Donovan. Don't tempt fate. Try to find a switch. It must be on your side, because I see none on mine." Hearing the crying she turns her attention towards the person in the room. "Oh my. What have we here? What has happened to you, you poor soul?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I went by SRD, which says blade barrier can extend to 20 feet, just to be on the safe side. If Donovan can actually make the jump, tell me... so I can roll bluff

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Oh, do jump and get shredded into bite-sized pieces. I guess the rats of the city sewers need food as well" comes the snarky comment from the depths of Cynath's hood as he tries to think what to do in the situation. "And who is in there? Someone important?" he asks a moment later with apparent disinterest.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Gentlemen, its been a pleasure working with you." He walks calmly into the illusionary wall his form vaguely blurring as he goes and vanishes behind its concealing curtain. Promptly after sounds of rending flesh and horrible screams are heard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move into the wall as blade barrier was slightly beyond the wall itself,the use shadow stride to go 21 feet directly forward. Afterwords turn around and use the spell ghost sound to fake noises of his grisly death. Lasts for 3 rounds but I'm "dead" by then.

A grinning and fully intact Donovan turns to Synia and puts his finger on his lips, gesturing for her to be quiet. He walks over to her and whispers in abyssal "Don't say anything, I want to see if they believe that. Oh, and whose your friend here?"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Swirling around on her heels, Synia eyes open wide as blade barrier fires up again. When Donovan steps next to her, a genuine smile adornes her face. Answering in tongue of demons, she whispers to him. "You sure know how to impress a lady. I'm not sure who this is, I was just asking the same question. Lets see what he will tell us. We're obviously in Cho'Sul' study and laboratory, so my guess is this is one of his more recent experiments."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

For some reason, the horrific sounds of Donovan's death are heard, even though the effects of the blade barrier have long since been over. In the chamber, the person introduces himself. "Please, my name is Markus, Father Markus of the Church of Sirramar. I thought there was no one left here, may He have mercy on my soul." It looks as if he has been here several weeks, as he is badly malnourished and looks as if he could be cleaned up. His state robes, as tattered and soiled as they are, seem to lend credence to his claim.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Is the slicing deathtrap already taken care of? Because if it has, and if Donovan is not spread more or less evenly along the floor and only mortally injured, I would like to see what that old sack of bones was up to in here".

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unfortunately for the priest in front of him, a person cannot hear a predatory bareing of teeth. He gently places his hand on the priests arm and then speaks to him quietly, trying not to let his voice carry. "Thank goodness we found you father, my companion and I were following stories of a missing priest from a street urchin and the leads pointed here; forgive my companion's harsh words they haven't been the same since that awful incident with the lich. I'll see if there's a way to get you down. Who did this to you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    rolling bluff if I need to (1d20+16)[24]
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-22 at 12:07 PM.