Default Re: (3.5) In the Shadow - (IC)

"Nope. I'm just full of surprises."

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

"Duty is like a mountain, death like a feather..."

After seeing that Emillia could reach safety, he ran to the elves to try to free them. Racist he knew, but if he was going to have to live somewhere, he preferred elves to halflings. Condescending and arrogant, they often were, but not always without reason.

That, and their longer lifespans meant he was depriving the Mages of more usable years and regaining more for the free peoples, but that was blatant rationalization and he knew it.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Bery and Jameson

The two of you make your way through the tavern , your trip short as you bound up the stairs behind the counter. As you climb into the upper story of the building you hear shouting coming from above you outside. The upper story of the tavern is a large dormitory with the walls lined with bunk beds and small chests. Naturally none of them are currently occupied, but three of them show signs of recent use.

The trapdoor to the roof is exactly where Barleybrew said it would be, a tiny patch of worn wood set into the neatly engraved stone that the rest of the building is made of. The patterns in the stone are set up to incorporate the trapdoor into the artwork, and you feel that finding it would have been difficult without help. The trapdoor itself is situated underneath an unoccupied bunkbed, within easy reach of a dwarf after climbing onto the top. Currently the Trapdoor is shut.

The Square

Elithan's bow bucks as he shoots, the tightly drawn string striking the back of his hand smartly. Instead of flying directly at Nimon the arrow goes wide, sailing off into the sky diretly in front of the lead mage. Nimon hardly seems to notice as he withdraws a large figurine from his pocket and begins to chant, his voice inaudible from the ground. Along the side of the hole Casper quickly pulls Natalie out of sight to safety.

Kinleth

The sheets entangling the citizens on the dance platform rip suprisingly readily when cut by your shuriken's blade. The citizen you rescue, a particularily stubby dwarf, look shocked and mutters a heartfelt thank you before waddling towards the safety of the nearby bank.

The mages do not react to your shout.
    I would rather not expend whatever I have left of my lifespan on this earth looking at homebrew. Don't get me wrong, some of it is cool, but to get there, you have to wade through a lot of subpar stuff ~Vadislav.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elithan grit his teeth against the pain of his hand, holding back the curses that bubbled on his tongue. His arrow had flown absurdly wide; he was surprised that it even found its way through the hole in the ceiling at all. Now it sailed onward into the sky no doubt bound for the stars themselves.

With a limp wave of his hand he draws another bow from his quiver and knocks his bow. He once again takes aim at the wizard who went by 'Nimon.' His bow was drawn and he let the arrow fly in an undisciplined haste that was somewhat unbecoming of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elithan is somewhat pissed about the string slapping his hand and forgot to strafe.

Child of Shadow benign (failure to move 10 feet.)

Attacking Nimon with shortbow – Standard Action
    Shortbow primary atk (+4 Dex, +1 Divine Favor) (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage if hit (+4 Dex, +1 Divine Favor) (1d6+5)[11]
    There is a Hell, believe me I've seen it. There is a Heaven, let's keep it a secret.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Regaining his composure a bit, Cael responds to Onul. "I think we should try and free as many from these sheets as possible. I'll get that one over there," He points towards the trapped person to the west of where Onul was. "How about you start over with that person," this time pointing at the person who was in the stinking cloud (if that's disipated).
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    Timegashing a little here, since it's time to step up the plot.

The Square

Kinleth, Bairn, and Cael begin to move about the square. Cutting free numerous citizens who have been ensnared by the mages. The majority of them are ordinary citizens, but a handful are additional guardsmen who promptly draw bladed weapons to help the rescue crews, or bows. As more and more citizens are freed, the three heroes move out of the square, rescuing citizens trapped on the nearby streets. More guards who had taken refuge in the nearby buildings also rush out to assist the unlikely heros, and soon a sizable squad of nearly twelve guardsmen are lined up alongside the street.

Following Elithan's lead, one of the guardsmen with a somewhat more ornate uniform steps forward and begins barking orders. "Let's give those magic bullies a taste of DWARVEN medicine! Ready... FIRE!. At his mark a flight of arrows launch from the floor of the square towards the lone remaining mage.

The Rooftops

Nimon hardly blinks as the sleep spell swirls around him. Nonchalantly he stifles a yawn as the flight of bolts fly up out of the chasm, a few of which hit him and bounce off harmlessly. His chanting raises in fervor as he uses his free hand to withdraw a scroll from his pocket and chants off a few words from the bottom before flinging the small figurine towards the ground.

"For what it is worth, I am sorry we need to do this. Goodbye Brilla, town of traitors!" As he shouts the figurine spirals to the ground, growing in size and mass. As it falls the pewter twists into a new shape, flesh, fur, and flames sprouting in all directions as it swiftly transforms from one state to another. Right before it hits the ground the creature twists like a cat, landing nimbly on it's feet.

On the stone in the center of Brilla square stands a large, powerfully-built dog. Its jet-black fur is laced with fire and it's eyes glow with a malicious glare. As you watch the Hellhound raises it's shaggy head and howls, blasting a wide cone of fire over the tightly-packed group of dwarven crossbowmen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Currently you are not involved in this combat. If you wish to get involved please say so. If you are quick, you may be able to chase the mages by sprinting to the front gate. However, that will leave the guardsmen and remaining townsfolk at the mercy of the Hellhound.

There are no remaining captured citizens.

Sorry Berry, the mage made his save or had too many HD. You aren't sure which.
    I would rather not expend whatever I have left of my lifespan on this earth looking at homebrew. Don't get me wrong, some of it is cool, but to get there, you have to wade through a lot of subpar stuff ~Vadislav.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Hmmm. Bad doggy. Hope this works.
    With a sigh Jameson charges the edge of the roof, leaping at what he hopes is the perfect moment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble(1d20+4)[9]
    Jump(1d20+7)[17]
    Trying to reduce falling damage and save time. Wheeeeeeee!
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

"Between the conception and the creation, between the emotion and the response; falls the Shadow. Life is very long."

With a sigh, Bairn again let lose his magic. The sand fell from his hand in four streams before dispersing in a light breeze.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleep: DC 14
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2011-01-29 at 11:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

As what few arrows from the Dwarves actually hit the mage were easily deflected, Elithan moaned under his breath. Even if one of his shots had hit home it likely wouldn’t have sunk in. Clever wizard. He had seen the town’s capability to partially negate his height advantage and set up a defense. Those were two arrows he clearly would never see again.

With the figurine dropped the wizard fled after his accomplices. They would no doubt escape and let their superiors know of the town’s resistance. The Emerald Gate would be back in force. The entire populace would need to disgorge into the world and move their lives elsewhere, and quickly.

Instead he focused his attention on the new threat in the room. As the figurine the wizard had dropped morphed, growing larger and more imposing, Elithan had a good idea of what was going on. The creature was functioning beautifully as a distraction; nearly everybody in the square had shifted their attention to it as opposed to the escaping mages.

With careful, measured steps Elithan backed away from the center of the square. A new arrow found itself nocked and his bow drawn taught. His patience waited for the creature to land and, not a moment later, the arrow leapt forth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elithan is moving to be about 55 to 60 feet away from the hellhound, just within the shortbow’s maximum accuracy range. If he doesn’t move more than 10 feet than he strafes the rest of the distance.

Child of Shadow active.

Move 10 ft – Move Action
    Attacking hellhound with shortbow – Standard Action
    Shortbow primary atk (+4 Dex, +1 Divine Favor) (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage if hit (+4 Dex, +1 Divine Favor) (1d20+5)[9]
    There is a Hell, believe me I've seen it. There is a Heaven, let's keep it a secret.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    Nimon hasn't moved from the side of the hole yet, fyi.

Rolling will save.
    (1d20+4)[7]

Deliberate Jump reduces the first 10' from a fall to nonlethal.
    Jump check over 15 reduces the fall height by 10'

So Jameson takes (1d6)[3] nonlethal damage from the fall.

Waiting for the others to post before doing my writeup.
    Last edited by Jamini; 2011-01-29 at 07:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Bery Sirius
    Watches as Jameson leaps off the rooftop. "Show-off."

Then he shrugs and hops off the roof after him.

(1d20)[20] Jump (Land on two feet, DC5)
    (1d20+6)[14] Tumble (Reduce fall height, DC15)

If Bery still has actions left, he'll try to find an unatteneded ranged weapon of some sort, probably a crossbow.

Avvie by Serpentine.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seeing the dog from hell grow from out of a tiny figurine, and starting to snarl and appear very hellish, Ory decides that hiding in the bank won't do anything to help, and alot of people will get hurt. He then jumps off, attempting to hit the street to help against the dog, attempting to roll to lessen the impact.

Upon reaching the floor, he runs toward the monster with his dagger ready, getting as close as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jump check to jump down(1d20+9)[27]
    Tumble to lessen the impact of the fall(1d20+12)[26]

I am pretty sure with a speed of 20 I can't reach the hellhound, especially without a fresh map, so like posted above, ill try to get as close as I can.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Kinleth sighs in relief as the last victim rolls from their confinment, a sigh that quickly turns into an annoyed huff as the mages play one last trick. A brief look at the fur of the beast already looks unwelcoming but there is little Kinleth could do, someone had to keep its attension. As such she dashes forward right at the beast itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I bet this is a bad idea but eh whatever. Charging then a flurry with a stunning fist as the first attack.
    Stunning Fist (DC 13 (or 14 if you round up))
    (1d20+3)[16]
    (1d4+1)[4]
    2nd (normal) attack
    (1d20+3)[12]
    (1d4+1)[3]

14. - Top - End - #104

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Ok, going to assume the Hellhound is close enough then.

Cael runs forward towards the crossbowdwarves and the hellhound, but not to the point that he'd be running into the remnants of the hellhound's fire. During his run, those paying close attention might notice a slight purple light of a pulse traveling across his body, which is mirrored on the hellhound shortly later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Run "Forward:" At least a move action, as many as needed/possible.
    Hexblade's Curse: Free Action; Will DC 13, -2 to all saves, checks and attack rolls.
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

Bery lands on his feet, but hard. (1d6)[2] lethal (1d6)[1] nonlethal damage

-Ory automatically suceeds at his jump check, as the stage is only 5' from the ground.
    -The hellhound is on the stone in the center of the square. You could reach it with a charge. Assuming you do not you can get close enough to be in melee with it with a double move.

Kinleth - The first blow hits, the second does not. Rolling fortitude (1d20+5)[14]

Cael - A single move gets you 10' from the hellhound. Rolling will save [roll]1d20+4[/rol]

In The Square

Flames fill the square as the burning dwarves dive to the ground to put themselves out. Some roll on the ground, screaming at swatting at the flames that had spouted on their uniforms and weapons while others raced from the hellhound, the flames in their hair and clothes flickering behind them. Two of the guards lay unconsious on the ground, overcome by the heat.

On the north end of the square Jameson and Bery leap from the roof of the tavern. Both of them land hard, the latter grunting in pain as he feels his ankle twist in a direction that it should not have. Despite the distraction, Bery does notice several unatteded crossbows near the pile of flaming dwarevs, all of which are currently on fire. [spoilier] both of you have a standard action left after jumping. I'll let you add those onto next round. [/spoiler]

(To the North-East) Bairn is the quickest to act, his hands a blur as he draws sand out from inside of his robes and recites his spell. In the flurry of activity, his motions go unnoticed as he casts his sleep spell. The hellhound slumps in response, leaning over with it's eyes drooping heavily. However, the effect is short-lived when a well-aimed arrow from Elithan lances into the demon's chest.

Spoiler
    Show
    The sleep spell worked, but since we are using group initiaive it's assumed you are all acting roughly around the same time unless you otherwise specify. Since sleep is canceled by any damage, the hellhound doesn't even lose a turn thanks to it.

Don't be too frusterated though, I was planning on having Nimon toss down a a Magic Missile before leaving even if the Hellhound hadn't taken damage. Of course, once he cast it you would definatly know his level range... so maybe things did work out for the best.

(South)At once the hellhound comes back to its senses, a sudden yelp of pain snaking from its mouth as the creature overcomes the magic. It immediatly spins around to face this new threat, directly before a small foot buried itself into its back. The hellhound lurched forward as Kinleth's flying kick had ended with her landing on the beasts back. Flushed with exerton but still impassivly calm, the nimble monk lept back as the hellhound snapped lightly over its back. The move throwing her follow-up punch slightly wide.

(West) Cael and Ory both race to flank the last unattended side of the hellhound, both holding their weapons ready to parry the beasts attacks as a dim violet aura begins to eminate from their location. The demon shivers as the dark energy touches it, suddenly seemnig less certain of itself.

The Hellhound growls as it bristles against the sudden glut of enemies. Flanked on all sides but one, it recoils back a bit before leaping up onto the nearby stone and biting at Kinleth.

Spoiler
    Show
    see OOC

(Above) As the fight below begins Nimon turns away, his robes whipping around him as if he were in a fierce windstorm. As he walks away from the edge of the hole in the top of the Cavern, he raises his left hand in a half-salute/half-wave, the last vestiges of his magically-amplified voice fading as he walked towards his companions. "Adieu~"
    Last edited by Jamini; 2011-01-30 at 01:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

Rerolling a fail will save (1d20+4)[17]

Edit: Jesus I'm making a lot of mistakes tonight. This was supposed to be posted in OOC
    Last edited by Jamini; 2011-01-30 at 12:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

"From chaos comes disharmony. Let them do their bitter work. Should they fail or flag I shall try again."
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2011-01-30 at 02:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Kinleth tries to jump back after her attack but isn't quite quick enough, the hellhounds teeth ripping a gouge in her leg that burned. She continues to try and get away from the thing as others begin to converge on it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice right down to 8 hp, move action to get away and tumbling as part of that to try and avoid the aoo.
    Tumble DC 15
    (1d20+5)[23]
    So I move 10 ft away from the thing.
    Last edited by userpay; 2011-01-30 at 11:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I won't be using last round's standard action.

Ory continues his dash at the hellhound, attempting to get in a position where he can flank it with one of the other fighters where he can aim his dagger in a more particular lethal spot.

Upon reaching his destination, Ory stabs at an artery in the creatures leg attempting to bring the beast to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling a sneak attack, in case I was able to get close enough to attack with my dagger, and also in a position flanking with someone else.

Attack roll(1d20+4)[20]
    Damage(1d3)[2] Sneak attack if applicable (1d6)[6]
    Last edited by zmasterofjersey; 2011-01-30 at 01:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Jameson hefts his sword in both hands and charges the flaming beastie, whipping his sword around over his head like a madman on a mission. He's not entirely without strategy however and if he can he gets into a flanking position with one of the other attackers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack(1d20+6)[16]+2 if flanking.
    Damage (1d10+4)[14]+(1d6)[4]From Punishing Stance+(1d6)[4]From Sneak attack if flanking

AC is currently 8 Whooo charging while in an AC lowering stance!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

For such a brave warrior she sure seemed to be having it rough. Elithan recognized the tiny halfling from not even a minute ago throwing shards of metal at the wizards above. She then showed up planting a foot deep into this new beast’s rear. And now she was getting her leg mauled off.

”Keeper of time and fate, bend your will to help the righteous in need...” Prayer escaped his lips as he hustled his way to the flying halfling, shadows coalescing around him once again. His free hand began to glow slightly white as his chanting came to a close. The little one seemed to be spryer than her physical condition would imply as she tumbled away from the monster.

Nearly without warning he was over her. ”Don’t move.” Elithan’s glowing hand thrust downward, making contact with the halfling’s body as close to the wound as he could manage in such a hurry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elithan is moving to intercept Kinleth’s tumbling destination, strafing to stay out of range of the hound. I am assuming that Kinleth is greater than 10ft away, so my movement would activate Child of Shadow. Feel free to rule otherwise if not.

Child of Shadow Active.
    Divine Favor expires.

Move 10-30 ft – Move Action
    Casting Cure Light Wounds on Kinleth (converting Bless) – Standard Action
    Cure Light Wounds healing: (1d8+1)[6]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Bery Sirius
    Ignores his ankle, it didn't matter yet. But he sighs when he sees the flaming crossbows. "Why is nothing ever easy? Or fire-proof?"

Bery grabs the least flaming crossbow, one in which the bowstring hasn't been damaged. Moving quickly, he nabs a case (or quiver) of bolts from one of the flaming dwarfs, and either loads the crossbow (if the flame is very small) or tries to put the crossbow out (if the flame threatens to really affect the crossbow's performance). (1d20+2)[18] Reflex

Avvie by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The hellhound leaps after Kinleth, intent on not allowing her to escape. However before it can get more than a few feet both Ory and Jameson lance into the beast's side. The small dagger and large sword hit home, drawing a long crimson lance of blood that ignites as it hits the air. The hellhound takes one staggering step, then a second, and falls forward dying.

As Ory and Jameson withdraw their blades the monster's form once again twists and shifts, shrinking and solidifying before their very eyes. Within seconds the hellhound is once again a pewter figurine slightly smaller than a human's fist, this time a long crack is visible through the entire object.

Bery

You pat out the flames on the bow admirably and manage to find a small quiver of bolts from one of the guards. It appears unlikely that the original owner will be using it any time soon.

As the fighting in the square dies down an eerie quiet fills the air. A few of the badly-burned guards moaning as they roll on the ground the only really audible noise. As the sounds of fighting stop, you see several citizens peeking from the doorways of the buildings surrounding the square, their eyes filled with fear and awe as they look on the seven of you who are still standing.

The silence is broken by the cry of a dwarven woman as she races from the bank to cradle the burned body of one of the injured gaurds. Behind her a line of shell-shocked residents slowly file out. Many of them have glazed, distracted eyes that glance at stars through the new hole in the cavern ceiling incessantly. As if they are afraid more attacks were yet to come from above.

The citizens of Brilla form a loose circle around the seven of you, none of others seeming to want to get close. None too few throw nervous glances at Bairn and Cael, some of which border on outright hostility. From the tavern Barleybrew shoulders his way through the crowd to the, concern in his eyes.

"They... they're gone? Ye chased them off?"

24. - Top - End - #114

Cael notices the hostility and decides he should try and avoid this conversation if at all possible. While he hasn't been directing them, his Dancing lights should be winking out about now, and he deems not to refresh it as he makes a move towards the figurine, but taking care not to touch it. Normally he would just grab it, but there is a large crowd of people nearby. That, and he would not want to take the brunt of another fire breath.

Cael tries to determine if the figurine is safe to touch, and if it could possibly be used again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+5)[20]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    You suspect the magic in the figurine may be spent. However it is a very pretty piece of artwork despite the damage.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Jameson nods to Barleybrew, a warm smile spreading across his face.
    Ay, they turned tail and ran like the spell slinging cowards that they are.
    He addresses the growing crowd next.
    And you've nothing to fear from these men. They stood with us to defend our homes. They're not of the Emarald.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"How can you be so flippant?"

An unfamilier voice rings from the crowd in a challenge to Jameson's claim, causing a ripple of angry murmers to flood through the square around he small party. Around, voices call out in panic, fear, and loss as each citizen begins to call out their own losses to the suddenly small-seeming group of heros.

"The Mayor, they took the mayor!"
    "My wife and children are gone!"
    "My assistant was carried away, how am I supposed to finish my work on schedule now?"
    "The pastor at the church is gone. The gods have abandoned us!"
    "Heretics!"
    "Mage-Protectors!"

The shouts ring through the square, quickly reaching a fever pitch. A handful of thrown pebbles strike the polished stone near your feet in a faint patter, clattering across the square in a haphazard fashion. Even the dwarves around Barleybrew give him cold, angry stares.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Kinleth arches an eyebrow at the slew of insults. Standing tall (for a halfling) she gives the agitated crowd a level stare, kindly attitude fully melting away. "By the Blessed One have you all gone daft? Mage-protectors!?" She spits to the side. "As if I'd give a rats ass about an Emerald except only to keep them from doing as they please. By the gods you've managed to survive yet turn your anger on those that gave it their all to aid you. I ask you. Have. You. No. Shame?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

"Calm thyselves, else you add your unseemly haste to the list of weapons the Gate may use against us. They have far to many already for us to lengthen it for them.

We did not aid them, nay we opposed them, and how many stand here that would have been taken had we not acted as we did?

Moreover, who here among you would challenge such as they openly? Where were you well our blood and sweet stained this ground in the cause of thy defense? What ingratitude is this on those who bleed with you and for you?

If you call yourselves decent people tend these wounded now else the Gate may yet take those lives from us. Or would you accept the stain of their blood that you might soil your hands with ours?"

As ever stupidity and fear are a close couple.

If we drive away Gate mages, what chance do they think they have?

We didn't drive them away though, they left of their own accord. This bodes not well. The family may have to move again, for the Emerald shall surly seek retribution for this.

Or perhaps just some few? Bairn looked around.

It may come that they will ostracize their saviors that they should escape a greater damnation. If it comes to that, should I even resist it?
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2011-02-06 at 02:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

An exasperated sigh escaped through Elithan’s lips. Surely these folks were angry, as was their right, but the direction of their anger completely misguided. ”If it were not for our efforts, all of our efforts,” his arm swept across the crowd in a gesture of inclusion, “than none of us would remain here. You lay your curses upon those who resisted those that should be accursed. Why not lay your curse too upon Barleybrew, who took many of you in and guarded you against the onslaught? Why not lay your curse too against the guards who, like us, rose their arms in your defense?”