New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

"Are their other groups that it could be talking about? And, each line of the prophecy is pretty self contained, and seemed to range over all of creation."

Wing's face screws up in a slightly puzzled expression.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

"I mean that he might not have known what counted as a Green Sun Prince and what did not. If that really is the only context... Yes, there is a way to count exactly fifty Green Sun Princes. I apologize for the evasiveness, but I don't entirely trust prophecies which extend outside Fate, and I'm still distracted trying to think of a way to deal with undead invasions. Especially when Gem is so easily laid siege to by those who don't need supplies, since even once the Lap is stabilized our best defense is that it's hard to get supplies here, especially for an army. Zombies don't follow those rules."

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd be skeptical as well, which is why I'd want to confirm those aspects that I can. Is their some other way to count that reveals different numbers? Or are their different groups called Green Sun Princes?"

Wing seems both puzzled, and a bit.... annoyed perhaps? He hadn't expected such evasiveness.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"It doesn't sound strange to me."

It's hard to understand just how a tall person like Raziel could be right there and nobody noticing, but this wasn't strange for him-he wasn't a very loud person when not speaking, and he never tried to intrude.

"There's fifty non-akuma Infernal Exalted, and we are usually called Green Sun Princes-or Queens, in the case of females who get sensitive about their gender-to distinguish us. Score is synonymous with 'twenty', you said 'two score and ten'..ergo, I think we're exactly what he was referring to."
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting. Let me see if I can get the whole thing down.

At this point Wing takes a step back, getting out a piece of paper and a pen. Starting to write, he stumbles slowly towards writing the entire prophecy. Some time later, he finishes, though there are many scratched out false starts along the way.

"Okay, let's see. 'The Fickly Lady shows me things, my friends. Terrible things.

A time of tummult for our kind.

I see an empty throne and a rotting mountain corpse. An ancient prison throws open it's doors, and a plague of locusts who walk like men descend on the land. The dead rise to become gods, and gods fall to become as the dead. A great fire erupts in the douth, greater than has ever been seen before.

Five Score is the number of the dead princes. Two score and ten is the number of the Green Sun Princes who break the world.

May the lady save us all'.

Now, I know the elders have decided what some parts mean, but others aren't as clear. I guess it simply reinforces your bad news, Drake.
    "
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Dead princes....hmmm...."

Raziel thinks to himself for a bit, quietly telling his shoulder angels to silence themselves.

"...Wait. If we're the Green Sun Princes, and we're Solar derivatives, then that must mean they're Solar derivatives as well. And since the only other kind of Solar derivative is an Abyssal..."

The expression on his face would be priceless, if the subject wasn't so dire.

"Holy crap, there's one hundred of them. Oh...****."

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Drake is listening to everything quietly and thoughtfully. "The prophecy of Ingosh Silverclaws... man" he mutters, more to himself than anything. No Sidereal actually knew the text of the prophecy - they just knew that the Lunar luminary had made a prophecy in his deathbed. He'd have to see Onyx would be willing to tell a bit more of it, later. But that's for later. Orchid's acting a wee bit suspicious.

He the speaks up. "Well, for the lap thing, most important is to convince the Despot to secure trade with other places. It'll be a bit more expensive, but I'm sure he'll agree when we mention we've caught wind of a conspiracy to cripple the Lap, and it should tide us over until order's back there enough that they're back to exporting - remember, their whole economy is purely based on it, they can't be without exports for very long.

As for the Shrike... gotta disagree, Orchid. You have legends, but I was able to check records, and let me tell you - we have no idea how in hell the Shrike does it, but soon as there's a big percentage of people worshipping Yozi, even if there's no big show of it, we suddenly find a few square kilometers of glass where a village or city used to be. It's a big part of why the usual Heavenly policy when it comes to Yozi cults around these places is "shoot on sight" - better to do it quickly even if you risk taking a couple people who didn't deserve it along the way, than a rogue Suncrusher coming and nuking the whole place from orbit because it's the only way to be sure
    " Drake sounds rather despaired about it all as well. "I don't think I could ask you two to be a bit conservative about it for now?"

"But yeah, biggest problem is the Lion. At least our intelligence tells us it's unlikely he'll come personally, because Deathlords are really loathe to leave shadowlands, but I'm betting he'll send a bunch of deathknights to murder our faces on top of a kajillion zombies. Gem as it is now has absolutely zero chance. If we want to save this city, we need to make moves to ready a decent defense, and fast. Filling the whole goddamn city with thaum barriers against the low level zombies would be a good start, and it's something I think I could swing if the Despot agrees, but we need more people capable of facing the big daddies. The six of us aren't going to cut it, we plain can't be everywhere. Man, we really could do with an Imperial fang of Dragonblooded or two, right now. I don't suppose there's any way you could pull a bit from your family, Pyrus..." he sighs, the question obviously rethorical. With the Realm civil war in the horizon, chances of that were slim.

Then, though, the conversation ges back to the prophecy, which makes him shut up and listen very carefully. Nazri would be interested in knowing about the famous prophecy of Ingosh Silverclaws. When he hears it, he nods, grim. "Yeah. Nobody was completely sure before, but after I met you guys, I kind of figured that Deathknights were also made by a similar process. And that means there's... one hundred and fifty Solars, one hundred deathknights, and fifty Green Sun Princes, then. All of them loose in the world. Well, that's just great" he sighs, scrunching his nose with his fingers.

I'm more worried by the "great fire in the South", though. I'm going to guess that's us if we don't do anything to stop it" he says, serious. "And we still have to deal with miss crazy psychobitch before anything else"

8. - Top - End - #578
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Street]

Laurel walks slowly past, looking pleased with herself. Despite the distance to go, in just a few moments the Scourge is out of sight down the street.

[Alleyway]

Even through the stench of rubbish and junk littering the edges of the way, Amelia can smell a person or two is around. As she progresses further, she'll be able to see the flickering light of a cheap glowstone peeking through a crumbling wall, to hear low voices in some Realm dialect, and finally reach the cactus-studded hollow to the side of the street, where a pair of figures of varying familiarity are seated atop rocks. The glowstone casts a bit of light on a strange greenish scroll that Laurel appears to be reading from, to a young one she had last seen asking "Just us?" in the Lap, who listens attentively.
    "Oh. She's here. Look." The scroll is rolled and placed in a bag at their feet, and she lifts a hand to point out the Lunar. "Welcome, welcome, Amelia dear! So glad you decided to drop by." Laurel waves to her, 'come closer' with a perfectly innocent smile.

[Outside]

A bit odd for this time of year, clouds begin to gather.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-08-27 at 10:06 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus wastes no time, heading for where the others were meeting. "Heads up, I just had a run-in with Laurel. And her body double is dead."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

10. - Top - End - #580

[Marketplace]

The dark sermon of a play is written and ready. The secluded corner of the empty market sets the stage. The lead actor is ready.

And the play is a masterpiece.

Raziel's every word rings perfect to the assembled crowd. Low shouts, cheers, and applause greet the first acts and speeches.
    The more emotional among the listeners are deeply moved, from tears and regret to flickers of lypothymie, replaced by new hope and conviction as the speech moves on. If there were any doubts among the flock, they are dispelled, where there were interested poor there will soon be true fellow Stewards. Against such perfect rhetoric none would even wish to be opposed.

Further (and few would even bother to suspect a trick), there is the sign of infernal legitimacy manifesting behind the preacher as he draws to a close. The lights flare blue-green, and in the air, unasked for, blazing characters of Old Realm appear.
    Spoiler
    Show

So Speaks Kimbery
    We Will Return
    Finally, the assembled cult is left bowed in awed silence. Clearly have they seen the truth and the way. They will not fail.

Slowly, the people on the edges of the circle divide and depart. They must not be found here, for the way must be made ready and the word must be spread. Others yet remain, to look upon the sign and their leader for a while.

[Orchid's, Previously]

"Good day, Master Orchid." He waves to the Infernal with a happy smile, and nods as he hears the release. "Then I shall just be around enough to keep up appearances. Thank you for your generosity, sir. Do try to keep the Dynast from going too far in the future..."
    He bows deeply and backs out the door.

One problem temporarily solved.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Listening to Drake's thoughts, Onyx's unease only grows.

"Uh, Drake? You do remember that, excepting Pryus, no one else in the group is going to get a warm reception from Realm forces. And in the kind of battle that this seems to be heading towards, we'll surely end up revealing ourselves. If it doesn't end up happening sooner.

As for assistance...I think I could maybe get some support from the Silver Pact. It wouldn't be easy, though. There are quite a few lunars in the south, and some could be persuaded to help, probably need some concessions, though. Never mind what would happen if I could get the Elders to really help. But, that would be very difficult. Probably have to give concessions, and prove that the events would be dangerous to them as well. But doing it would also be dangerous for us: we'd owe them, and I'd probably have to go through Tamuz.

I agree, though, about getting those barriers against undead up. No reason not to be prepared, and it likely won't be a difficult sell. I don't think we should forget about the locust men, though. If they start encroaching into the area, I think we should try and contact them. Figure out just who, or what, they are, and what they want. I don't like not knowing anything about what appears to be a huge threat.
    "

Pausing he considers something, then decides to continue on.
    I guess our first goal is dealing with Laurel. Perhaps her dou-

At this point, Pyrus joins the discussion, bringing his news.

What? What happened?
    Onyx's voice is clearly tinged with worry.
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

"[COLOR="SlateGray"]Uh, Drake? You do remember that, excepting Pryus, no one else in the group is going to get a warm reception from Realm forces. And in the kind of battle that this seems to be heading towards, we'll surely end up revealing ourselves. If it doesn't end up happening sooner.
    "I knew I did more around here than look pretty."

What? What happened?
    Onyx's voice is clearly tinged with worry.
    "Laurel showed up, bragged a little, and her body double melted. Apparently they keep humans in Malfeas."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Smashing his fist in his hand, Onyx gives a minor, if fervent curse.

Dammit. Sorry, Orchid, but Laurel really needs to die. Can't say I'm surprised about keeping humans in Malfeas; demons are spirits, so prayer from cults would certainly be liked.

A pause, and he looks out a window at the sky.

Odd. Why's a storm brewing at this time of year?
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Marketplace]

...Well.

That was unexpected. There was really nothing more to say. So Raziel didn't-he simply answered a few doctrinal questions that were among the most generic he had ever heard. Apparently when one has a giant sign saying "REAL PROPHET, NOT KIDDING" having materialized behind oneself, one isn't going to have to face questions about his legitimacy.

The day flowed smoothly from approximately that point on (at least until he got to the Cathak residence)-he simply lead the recruits to the complex entrance, called for Kendik, and let him lead them. Unlike Earth, it seemed, Creation fully understood the concept of the holy man having previous appointments.

Oh yes, and the cult now had half again it's current membership. That was always something that stroked his Urge. So, when the young Malefactor went to the Cathak estates, his mood was light and cheerful.

That didn't last, unfortunately...

[Present]

"Hmm....

"Charms...is there any Charms I know of that can cause a storm..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intelligence + Occult...I think.

(7d10)[34]
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-09-05 at 09:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    [OOC] GAH! STUPID!

(7d10)[4][1][8][5][3][9][4](34)
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-09-05 at 09:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586

[Cathak Pyrus Residence]

Raziel recalls basics: that many among the elementals can call up weather, as can the gods overseeing the weather and powerful sorcerers. As for charms among the Chosen, he can't bring any to mind that distort the weather, though it would not be strange to be within the powers of Dragonblooded, or the Infernals belonging to Kimbery, Adorjan, or Hegra.

[Alleyway]

This Laurel turns to the Laplander child and smiles. "That is why. Always remember. .... Go on now. We trust you. It's time to move on." To their credit? they seem a bit unsure, but then, this is Amelia who helped them escape to freedom.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-09-06 at 06:46 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post

"[COLOR="SlateGray"]Uh, Drake? You do remember that, excepting Pryus, no one else in the group is going to get a warm reception from Realm forces. And in the kind of battle that this seems to be heading towards, we'll surely end up revealing ourselves. If it doesn't end up happening sooner.
    "Honestly, Onyx, once the Deathlords got involved, our chances of remaining covert were slim already. "Gem survives attack by the First and Forsaken Lion" is going to be assumed to be "Gem has so many Exalts I don't even know" by a lot of people. And I'd say a couple Houses with investments in Gem would be willing to overlook a couple Anathema in exchange for, y'know, saving the town... and there's Sidereals among them, most likely. I'd have to hide you guys" he says, pointing to the Infernals "but temporary alliances with and/or patsying Lunars is not unusual, so long as I don't actually say I'm genuinely working with you guys it would not look particularly odd. Still, Pyrus, if you think you could move a couple strings a bit more legitimately instead to get us some troops or something, it'd be welcome... because well, you just joined the conversation and probably only heard the last of it, but the upshot is that forecast for Gem is "multiple sieges with high probability of getting ****ed up the ass" -" he interrupts himself as Pyrus delivers his own news.

On hearing, Drake's expression hardens "Yeah. Onyx's right. Laurel's far overstayed any kind of chance we could give her. There's only so long one can try to be merciful to a murderous psycho. Question is finding her. She seems to be really good at giving people the slip, and she always finds us in the middle of the street, where we can't exactly go all-out. We're probably going to have to make a trap of our own instead of pursuing" he says, serious.

Raziel's question surprises him a bit though. He'd honestly been so preoccupied he hadn't noticed the clouds. "...yeah, the guys at the Weather department didn't mention anything about storms in Gem. If you want to check if it's caused by an effect outside of Fate - that is, Laurel or some other Prince like you guys - or a god mucking stuff up, I could always see about putting a message. I have a few friends in Weather" And how localized it is, of course. Because this could be either a big storm or a small one, and the implications are different for either...
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-09-06 at 08:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

...Well, that was frightening

"Laurel is a child of the Ebon Dragon and Adorjan, isn't she? I think storm-creation is quite possibly a skill of the Silent Wind, so of course it's possible she's decided to run and cover her tracks.

"Elementals aren't possible if this is a Prince-Gaian manipulation was banned to warlocks by the nature that we draw power from other Primordials.

"Orchid, do you know of any Charms that Adorjan could use to conjure a storm? Barring that, Hegra?"
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-09-06 at 04:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

[Alleyway]
    Amelia glances around the alleyway, a last check for any obvious traps. "Emile?" She hasn't seen the boy since the Lap, and even if the boy before her was the right age he had grown so much, but...that was exactly how he sat, when he listened to her stories.

The Lunar starts toward her charge. He looks nervous, and that could be survivor's guilt (Please, no.), or it could be any number of things, but he is alive; at least he is alive--

Amelia comes up two steps short of them. Laurel made copies of herself, 'Emile' could be a copy. Or he could be tricked into thinking any number of things, like that Amelia wants to hurt him--she is Anathema. "Emile. This is...not a woman I would trust freely. Are you alright?"
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

20. - Top - End - #590

[Alleyway]

The boy shivers, nods, and steps forward. "I'm fine. We can trust her. She said we can trust you even though you're...um...one of the Illuminated. Right Nike?"

"Yes, silly boy. Don't put so much stock in old stories." Laurel answers with affirmation. Amelia may not be the same traitor to the Realm valiant young hero she was before, but that's no reason to be suspicious.

Emile tries to be calmer (excitement as well making that difficult), and takes a step counterclockwise, to be beside the line of the two Exalts.

"When I found that you of all people were the one to help our Emile get free and come here, I just had to arrange a meeting. May your new free lives be interesting and successful."
    "Now, what else...?"
    "If you need any help, just ask. No the others haven't turned up. And no, this isn't part of my plan; we just wanted to help. I'm no good at valedictions, but we'll see you both again, I'm sure."

"Wait. You are still looking for them, right? Surely you are..."
    "I reunite you two, you don't send that pretty dragonling and the preacher to murder the rest of the family, and everybody is happy. Sound like a deal?"

Laurel grins at the Lunar and offers a hand to shake on the agreement.

Spoiler
    Show

If you shake the Infernal's hand, open the following spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Along with a friendly handshake, you feel a presence in your mind, a wave of pressure and heat as the essence of the Silent Wind whips through your thoughts, quelling distractions and beliefs that you might, momentarily, perceive the true nature of reality. The cost is high, and the vision harsh; many would not wish to see. Are you among them?

Please make an Essence+Willpower roll.
    You are opposing this: (10d10)[3][5][2][3][9][3][1][8][9][8](51)

If you hesitate or do not, open this spoiler instead:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Laurel steps back swiftly and snatches up her bag, looking truly hurt.
    "You disappoint me. But I suppose you can not be blamed for misunderstanding. Go."
    "Emile, I think you can trust her too. Do not worry."

Mysterious roll: (7d10)[10][9][6][8][2][5][7](47) +1 success.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Not-Actually-Meanwhile, Back at the Cathak Residence]

"....."

After talking to Orchid, it was quite clear that Raziel was not particularly cheered with the revelation of all the different ways a storm could be made.

"All right-vitriol elementals are thrown right out, too colorful for the clouds we're seeing. I don't think Laurel has Hegra Charms, and by what I have heard, she's the only other Prince here. Won't rule out an akuma though, I heard Lypothimie was looking for one.

"Most likely, however, is a radaken, or Zsofiska. Pray for the first, because I don't think any of us have Second Circle Banishment, and uh, she's literally always faster than you are."

22. - Top - End - #592
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Amelia pauses a moment, as she hardly feels she can make the choice for the entire group, and Laurel speaks before she can explain her reasons. "You disappoint me. But I suppose you can not be blamed for misunderstanding." Since Amelia is not even entirely sure what she's supposed to be (mis)understanding, she feels that it is probably a reasonable view of the situation. "Emile, I think you can trust her too. Do not worry."

"Um. Good. If you see any of the others, please let me know," Amelia adds as politely as she can.
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

23. - Top - End - #593

[Earlier]

"Of course. I'll be sure to tell you, first thing. Don't come looking for us, my dears. We'll be gone from the Chapel by tomorrow. But if you need us, we'll be there."
    A sudden gust of wind whips around the empty space, tossing dust and detritus around in little whirls, and as it passes the three Laurel dissolves into a cloud of red dust, borne away as the wind completes its circle and leaves the lot.
    The last few streams of disturbed air flow not into the street, but to Amelia's mind, to grind away the mental blocks and let her see, from another view, why she should be willing to speak for the group and help the Scourge out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unnatural Mental Influence to form a positive intimacy(context of love) towards Laurel. Costs 2 Willpower to avoid, as I presume she will.

[Later, at the Pyrus Residence]

The Exalted are gathered, discussing what could be causing this unseasonable gathering of clouds, with the appearance of a frightful storm. Not unexpectedly, the minds of the Infernals jump first to Infernal magic.
    Amelia had just arrived back, with no time even to explain her meeting (or, if Emile is with her, who this kid is).
    When.
    Suddenly.
    A loud and repeated knock rings out from the front door. A few bits of weakly shouted voice distantly carry in. "Hey! Open --- ----. Out of---- but ---- -----. ----- ---- help!"
    The light coming in the windows has dimmed noticeably from all sides.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-09-21 at 03:41 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing the disturbance, Wing gets up to check it out. The darkness is odd enough, but the yelling too...Something's up. Probably with Laurel.
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey! Have you never seen a slasher movie in your life? Don't just throw the door open."

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Sad, but true."

"...Got any water? I need it to manifest my tentacles."

27. - Top - End - #597

This is Gem. But Pyrus has money and resources; there should be a few supplies of water around the house for drinking and cleaning.

On the other side of the door, leaning weakly on their grimscythe, is a gaunt figure in dark robes, face hidden, skin pale, instantly recognizable: the grim reaper. A few drops of blood fall from the black circle mark darkly glowing within the shadows of their hood. Something in Wing twists sympathetically at seeing this poor creature, this wrongness.
    "Thanks." Their voice is light, almost musical, even though clearly exhausted. "This was the place I Saw. Good. You will help, right? They won't mind. There are great and terrible things in your future. They've shown me. So they won't..."
    They trail off, taking a moment to stand fully upright and lift the twisting moonsilver scythe. "They'll catch up soon. You'll help? You'll help." She points weakly down the road. There's nothing there, but you can faintly hear an echoing howl down the conspicuously empty tunnel-road.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus stares for a moment. "Yeah...we'll help."

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

"What? What showed you? And what's after you?"

Despite his original intention to stay back, Wing takes a step out, trying to get a better look down the street.
    Satomi by Elagune

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

"For the record, I realize this is probably a trap for us" he says, looking at the grim reaper figure with a certain stern-ness as he runs past and steps with Wing, taking his hands to his pockets and taking them out equipped in his starmetal gauntlets. "But yeah, we are going to fall in anyway just in the chance it isn't" he adds, with a slightly amused, if nervous, smile.

He looks to either side of the street, attentive, for any signs of anything happening...
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-09-25 at 04:19 AM.