New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

Initially, Raziel feels another rant coming on...then it peters out as his ability to self-examine suddenly starts working.

True, the bard may not know of the actual evidence that was shown to him-case in point, Chejop Kejack and the Hireophant-but as far as indoctrination went that...made a lot of sense.

In all actuality, the only reason he was still signed on for the Reclamation was that he was loyal to two Yozis in particular, and Kimbery was a bit iffy-true, he thought freedom would soon return her to emotionally balanced, but that still didn't the silence either his subconscious or the nicer of the two voices in his head. And to be frank, Szoreny was the only actual subject of his propaganda-fueled rant-the Ebon Dragon was, quite sincerely, terrifying. He saw where his Exaltation was stored, and to that day, his mind refused to remember what, exactly, he saw had been done to Lilim. No wonder he kept on finding excuses to be away from the Althing Infernal on days she was trotted out.

So, after about a real minute of conferring with Corona-just because she was annoying with her possession attempts didn't mean she didn't have her points-he sighed in defeat.

"<...If I could, I would.>" A half-truth, but one that was an honest answer to the objection this mysterious shrink raised. "<But, you remember what I said about the all-devouring dragon? That's true enough-it's why the First Age soured so quickly-and it isn't cured with us Infernals; it's simply modified into a stick and carrot.">

<"You see, inside of our Chrysalis-that's basically an organic chamber in which we fully merge with our Second Breath-we are given a mission, an Urge, if you will, that furthers a particular Yozi's aims. Mine was given to me by Kimbery, and it's to help prepare mortals for the Reclamation, which I do by creating cults prepared in advance for surviving a Hellish environment. If we don't obey our Urges, we eventually become overcome by Torment, the worst traits of our patron's personality-Malfeas' rage, the Principle of Hierarchy's inability to comprehend her own emotions, the hatred for moral restraint of the Ebon Dragon...and in my case, Kimbery's paranoia.">

<"That's bad enough, except that we also become arcane focuses for the Yozi in question-by following the emotional bonds we have with other people, our patrons can posses our friends and family-Malfeas can incite a vicious riot, She Who Lives In Her Name severs entire groups of people from their hearts, the Dragon can create an orgy of depravity-it's not fun. And the way we assuage the inevitable Torment? By acting in ways that assuage our master's collective egos by acting in petty, mean-spirited, and downright stupid ways known as the Acts of Villainy.>"

"<So really, I have to preach the gospel of the Yozis and build my cults, or otherwise the Demon Sea will turn them and I into the world's most dysfunctional family, or I can get out my top hat and handlebar mustache and tie damsels to trains or something. So really, you may want to revise your terms.>"
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

This is proving to be quite an educative chat, Drake thinks. Problem is going to get this into Bureau knowledge without Kejak and his zealots going and trying to kill every of these "Green Sun Princes" - this is fairly good proof that a fair few of them are likely to simply be indoctrinated, and therefore not deserving of death, but rather liberation, but the Bronzers are unlikely to see it like that... food for thought, that's for sure.

Outwardly, though, he nods and hmmms as Raziel goes on, then the smirk returns. "<I see... so, Urges, uh? Well, funny thing about deals with the devil is, they usually have a loophole or two. And none of the stories I've read portray Yozis as being all that good with predicting long-term consequences. You gotta tell me the exact terms of this Urge, I'm sure wecan work something out>" Drake winks. Then goes a bit more serios again, and sits on a nearby barrel. "<I'm more worried about the insanity thing. I'd honestly figured that being Exalted simply melted your brain in the long run if you abused it too much, kind of like an overclocked comp, because one's skull isn't wired to deal with such "voltages". But the way you say it, you make it look like it's an innate thing. And that's rather worrying. Because, you know, we're kind of surrounded everywhere by hundreds of Dragonblooded and Anathemas and all that. You think that bit is actually true as said, or another "spin" from your bosses?>"

He then hops down. "<But really, I think we should discuss all this more in depth. This looks like a very important puzzle. I got...>" Drake looks into his pocket "<...about twenty silvers from today's sessions. Want to grab a bite somewhere where we'll not stand out as much - because no offense, but two people gabbing in an unknown weird language in a corner like this is the kind of stuff people remember, even with the hat distracting people from our faces - and you can tell me this stuff in more detail, the wording on this Urge deal and what these Acts of Villainy require you to do, so we can find your loophole?>" Drake grins, returning a bit to his bard persona. "<Because I admit, the thought of downright spiting a Yozi like that tickles my fancy - I wanna help>" he chuckles, mischievous.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For a moment, Raziel fears that this would constitute a betrayal of Szoreny...

...but then he realizes that being Szoreny, the Silver Forest would probably want him to grow emotionally. That is after all, his domain. That, and it might give his master ideas on how to escape from Malfeas...

<"...All right. My familiar was left at my...landlord's, so he won't get upset that I'm making a friend with a Sidereal.">

<"Wait...Sidereal? Where did that come from? >

Corona, did you do that?

Pretty much, yeah. The guy isn't very good at pretending to not be a Serenity. Have to wonder why he's wearing that hat, too-it's not a very good disguise if he's trying to be inconspicuous.

I doubt if he's working for Chejop, though-he's hasn't killed you after spilled intel all over him. Keep watch, though-I know from experience they're tricky little beasts.

<"...Well, there's another benefit of having your past life in your head, I guess. First Agers aren't exactly uninformed. Sorry if I blew your cover.">
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-01-01 at 04:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Drake freezes at hearing that... then sighs, with a sad chuckle. "<...I'm never going to hear the end of this one, you know that? Got your cover blown on your first outing, woo, way to go, dude, why do we even trust you for field missions again?>"

He sighs again, shrugging.

"<Yeah, I'm a Sid. Can't tell you more because this gig is like being James Bond but with three thousand times the paperwork and none of the gadgets, so the whole "top secret" thing applies and I like my neck where it is, thank you very much. I'm a good actor when playing a role, but when it comes to plain lying as myself I'm not exactly beast. Wonder how your passenger got me, though. I could swear I didn't do anything too obvious>" he says, dedicating a slightly suspicious look at Raziel. "Note: If your friend is trying to get into my head, I'm going to play cricket with your head. I don't take kindly to mind****ery" he says, turning his head slightly. He then smirks a bit. "<Or is he the kind to suspect that every conciliatory bard on the road has to be a Chosen of Serenity or something and he figures he had to get it right sometime? 'cause that would seem something that the kind of hing a Yozi would sew to one's head would do. From my time as sorcerer servant, I kind of got the feeling that paranoia and bitchiness are Malfeas's main exports>" he chuckles, then heads forward, leading. "Well, anyway, let's go. I know a place where they serve some killer simhata beef..."
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-01-01 at 05:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

<"She is not my Coadjutor. Two different voices, two entirely different personalities-and that one happens to have a lot of experience with Sidereals before she became my self-proclaimed shoulder angel.">

He leaves out the fact that said voice is a First Age Solar, of course. He knew enough about the Usurpation to leave the part about the fact that a literal voice in his head is a member of a group of people who were rather renowned for being meglomaniacal nutjobs at the time she died out-particularly given that the person he was talking to was probably one of the people who killed her in a previous life.

"In any case, my name is Raziel Kablah. Nice to meet you."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    "<So, perhaps we should go somewhere more secluded and figure out what's going on. Because I've been worrying someone here is going to figure out I'm not...this guy I'm inside of.>"
    "<I... really don't know what's going on as far as Earth and Creation. For all I know, Earth was a dream, but since we both shared it... Same thing, though, for Creation. Something is going on. Mysteries are great and all, but they're there for solving.>"

That all sounds a little too... heavy. He's found a Terrestrial, who is fairly friendly, has Earth-memories - apparently, they're dominant, too - and if he's a fire aspect, at least he's friendly and not just emotional. And if his treatment of that mortal was any indication, he's got Creation memories, too, so it's not just for the Celestials.

"<But that's all philosophical, and now is not the right time. I have my own theories about it, but no real information yet anyway... And I'm not certain about how well the Realm's education set you up to make sense of Earth - from what little I've heard, it's just not the same as Earth education.>"

The little jab just... came out. He's been thinking too hard about his Urge and his plans, he supposes, but it should not come out in conversation. At least he dulled the personal insult - the Realm is clearly the problem, not Pyrus. Why did he have to slip up like that?

"<That came out a little wrong. Anyway, I'd be happy to treat you and Amelia to lunch. There's a pretty good place I know of. Of course, you probably know the good places better than I do, so if you've got something in mind... Ah. And of course, I forgot to introduce myself - You can call me Orchid.>" His real name is safe enough in English, and besides, he'd rather make actual friends just now.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-01-02 at 05:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

So, it's not the demon, experience with Sidereals, the guy himself had said something about past lives and being made from Solar stuff... not hard to put two and two together. So, he still has an old Solar in his head? Probably subverted to the Yozi's whim, too, or they wouldn't have left her in there. Well, or maybe not even "subverted" - even after filtering the Bronze Faction propaganda, chances are that the First Age Solars had been really rather insane. I mean, to make the most compassionate and strong-willed guy in the universe turn to the metaphysical equivalent of drinking just out of your insanity, you have to be pretty damn bad. Will probably need careful handling. And a little needling - when the world was in the hand of Solars, they nearly made it explode, so to someone as duty-driven and compassionate as Drake, they don't come exactly well-recommended.

Well, time to test that theory.

"<Ah, so she's the past life you mentioned? Well, I suppose the eyes must have given me away, then, if she already knows what Sids are. These damn things are a liability, I keep saying. I really need to get some damn sunglasses somehow>" he says, mentioning the starred eyes Sidereals have under their disguises - and which a First Age Solar would probably be rather familiar with. Then he smirks, back to speech that said past life would understand. "And I bet she dissed me, my stupid face, and my fashion sense, too, while she was at it, given how much of a sweetheart you made her sound like." he says, with a mean chuckle.

"Well, anyway, here we are - Tolsin's Steak House" he says, pointing at a small restaurant in one side street. It's certainly not one of the big touristic spots - just a small family-run wooden building. "Yeah, I know it doesn't look like much, but trust me, they make some killer meat here - <and I'm a Spaniard, I don't go for half-assings when food's concerned!> - and on the cheap, that's important when you're living on your street performances, you know!" he winks, back to his bard role soon as they get into the public streets.

"And the name's Sparrow" he nods, when the other man introduces himself. "<Or Drake, but I'd rather you called me by my cover name for now if possible, I already messed up enough>"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-01-02 at 08:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

Following the pair is easier than Wing would have thought, and he manages to tail them for several blocks, till they reach the restaurant.

I can't let this pass me by. They're from home. Go. Talk to them. Do it. Come on. DO IT.

Reaching out, he puts his hand on Drake's shoulder.

<Umm...excuse me. You speak English?>
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thankfully, Raziel couldn't actually be controlled by Corona until he started to rely on her abilities, so the old Zenith is left to steam over the insult to her honor, less than enthused that Raziel gave her away that easily.

Of course, one of those times might have been coming up at that moment.

"GET DOWN!"

Raziel jumps back, quickly looking for places to manifest his Ichor Flux Tendrils. Not yet, of course, but it was useful to note.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    "<That came out a little wrong. Anyway, I'd be happy to treat you and Amelia to lunch. There's a pretty good place I know of. Of course, you probably know the good places better than I do, so if you've got something in mind... Ah. And of course, I forgot to introduce myself - You can call me Orchid.>" His real name is safe enough in English, and besides, he'd rather make actual friends just now.
    "<Good to know you. So, what...are you exactly? This body has memories of various types of Exaltation.>"
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

The odd preachers reaction certainly suprised Wing, and he drops to the ground as soon as the man yells out the warning.

What is it? What's wrong
    Spoiler
    Show
    speaking in Flametounge this time.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

"<Good to know you. So, what...are you exactly? This body has memories of various types of Exaltation.>"
    "<Huh... It's difficult to describe?>" At least, without potentially being put into an instant fight to the death. "<Not quite the same as an Anathema... They are possessed by evil spirits, I think is how the Immaculate Order views it. I've never heard of any proof for that, but I do have a demon with me - except it was forced to give up the Exaltation itself to me. And of course, then there's a past life, Creation and Earth memories... There are plenty of people in my head, but I'm the one who owns it. There are other details,>" The Primordials and what had been done, the Usurpation, the Realm's objective problems... "<but I think you can understand that I'd rather think of a way to say it to a Dynast that doesn't make me sound crazy before I go further. I doubt you've heard of my kind anyway, but as far as there is a name, we're Green Sun Princes. It's complicated.>" He would mention the Usurpation, but... honestly, it wouldn't help much right now, and besides, his only personal witness is a mad bomber's memory stuck in his head. Maybe he'll ask Raziel about all that. Now... He just hopes that he managed to make that all confusing enough that by the time Pyrus figures it out he'll have had time to decide not to get into a fight.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-01-02 at 09:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Now, thing is, Drake isn't used to being taken by surprise, not in this life and not in the other (in fact, "let's see if you can sneak up on Drascin" was a known pastime at his highschool. The scoreboard always favored him). So when someone manages to get to him undetected, near enough to touch him, he's very surprised. He visibly tenses, and takes a quick sidestep to the side, taking distance from whoever it is and facing him in a single move.

It's to be noted, though, that even while in thoughtless instinct, he's not making aggressive motions. Seems that this man is not what you'd call a bellicose one.

And then his brain catches up with him. What the hell am I doing? He gets a look at the man in question, and he retakes his role as a fop seamlessly - it'd take a very, very observant person (or someone being nearby enough to hear it) to notice how fast his heart is actually pumping after that sudden adrenaline rush. He smiles again his silly huge grin, and acts mock-offended like the foppish bard he's supposed to be. "By the Dragons, my man! You startled me! I thought I was being mugged, or worse, for a second there! You shouldn't approach people like that on these alleys!"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

Wing has the graces to look sheepish at Drake's statement, and slowly gets up. Again, though, he speaks in English.
    <Sorry, I guess I didn't realize how quiet I was, or how noisy everything else was, either. But, was I correct in hearing you speak English?>
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

"<Huh... It's difficult to describe?>" At least, without potentially being put into an instant fight to the death. "<Not quite the same as an Anathema... They are possessed by evil spirits, I think is how the Immaculate Order views it. I've never heard of any proof for that, but I do have a demon with me - except it was forced to give up the Exaltation itself to me. And of course, then there's a past life, Creation and Earth memories... There are plenty of people in my head, but I'm the one who owns it. There are other details,>" The Primordials and what had been done, the Usurpation, the Realm's objective problems... "<but I think you can understand that I'd rather think of a way to say it to a Dynast that doesn't make me sound crazy before I go further. I doubt you've heard of my kind anyway, but as far as there is a name, we're Green Sun Princes. It's complicated.>" He would mention the Usurpation, but... honestly, it wouldn't help much right now, and besides, his only personal witness is a mad bomber's memory stuck in his head. Maybe he'll ask Raziel about all that. Now... He just hopes that he managed to make that all confusing enough that by the time Pyrus figures it out he'll have had time to decide not to get into a fight.
    "<Yeah, part of me really wants to kill you. But the other part wants to give you the benefit of the doubt.>"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Wing

Wing has the graces to look sheepish at Drake's statement, and slowly gets up. Again, though, he speaks in English.
    <Sorry, I guess I didn't realize how quiet I was, or how noisy everything else was, either. But, was I correct in hearing you speak English?>
    Relieved, Raziel lowers his arms, but not before waving down the guards.

"<You were.>

"<But before we begin, can we eat? I just got through a bunch of exposition, and I haven't had a good meal in days.>"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

A pair of mercenary guardsman head over towards the priest who is obviously signaling them. One walks up, while the other hangs back at a safe distance.
    "Is there a problem here?" he inquires roughly, looking suspiciously at the people jabbering in some barbarian tongue.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-01-04 at 11:47 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #78
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

"<Well, part of me wants you not to kill him, part's curious about finding a non-family member English-speaker, and the last part is hungry. Shall we try for the overlap?>"
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

"<Yeah, part of me really wants to kill you. But the other part wants to give you the benefit of the doubt.>"
    "<Well, that's an enormous relief then! I'll try not to hide too much from you, if you're willing to listen I'm sure there won't be many problems. After all, after all I said you'll give me the benefit of the doubt, I can hardly not extend that back can I? Besides, curiosity is a hallmark of my caste... Or, aspect, to you. Just a semantics difference really.>"

He grins, in a way that would probably make any remaining mortals uneasy. It's certainly happy, just not entirely... normal. It doesn't help that his shadow is acting up as the lanterns and glowstones set it flickering about.

"<I'm in favor of a meal, and I don't mind paying. It's a good lunch place, even if it isn't quite the normal time. We can get to know each other better.>"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

"<Sounds good, but I don't know any places to eat in this town yet.>"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Realizing that he was about to answer in English despite the totally-innocent nature of planning a meal, Orchid clumsily switches back to Flametongue and then continues normally again that way.

"Simple enough; I wasn't clear, I suppose, but I do. They do some good things with Simhata. Usually good for lunches but that hardly matters. And you, Amelia, is that good? <I think we can probably stick to Flametongue now that the sensitive matters are done for a little while.>"
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-01-05 at 07:30 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    A pair of mercenary guardsman head over towards the priest who is obviously signaling them. One walks up, while the other hangs back at a safe distance.
    "Is there a problem here?" he inquires roughly, looking suspiciously at the people jabbering in some barbarian tongue.
    Sighing, Raziel turns to the mercenaries.

Speaking in Low Realm, he says "No, everythings fine. We simply thought this man was a mugger, but as it turns out, he simply is recognized us from home."

He deliberately emphasizes his Seatongue accent, hoping to avoid the mantle of "barbarian", and thus "easily tricked".

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Sounds good to me," Amelia says, answering both questions.
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

24. - Top - End - #84

The guardsman glowers at him. "Make sure everything stays fine."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, do not worry, my good man!" Drake iterjects flightily, giving a litte half-bow and a fluttering salute of his hat. "I'm with them, after all, showing off this beautiful city of yours to the newcomers - once the startles have passed, there is nothing to worry about!" he grins a huge, friendly, so-sincere-it-hurts smile.

26. - Top - End - #86

The guardsman rolls his eyes. These people are clearly up to something. But they've broken no laws that he can see, so...
    "Heh. Enjoy your stay in Gem, then."
    With that, he returns to his partner.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

After the guard returns to his partner, Wing answers Raziel, this time turning to flametongue.
    That would be fine. I don't think I'll have anything, though. Not particularly hungry at the moment. Are you planning on eating here?
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raziel blinks.

"Er...I'm sorry, I don't speak Flametongue." he whispers in Low Realm.

"Seatongue, Old Realm, Low Realm?" saying each in it's respective language.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Realizing that he was about to answer in English despite the totally-innocent nature of planning a meal, Orchid clumsily switches back to Flametongue and then continues normally again that way.

"Simple enough; I wasn't clear, I suppose, but I do. They do some good things with Simhata. Usually good for lunches but that hardly matters. And you, Amelia, is that good? <I think we can probably stick to Flametongue now that the sensitive matters are done for a little while.>"
    "<Agreed>. So, now that we've met and decided to not try and kill each other, what's next? I've been in Gem for a few weeks now, but I have no obligations to my House for the next few years."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Wing
    Wing listens to the stream of gibberish, and switches back to English.
    Um...sorry, what languages were those? And you really don't speak flametounge? And you live here?
    Satomi by Elagune