New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

"<... Well, you could always shout it out in case we're being watched and they didn't hear it clearly, Raziel.>"
    Orchid shrugs apologetically to Sparrow.
    "<I didn't see it, if it makes you feel better.>"

(Short Internal Dialogue)
    It was a pattern spider, or so Raziel says.

Be careful about how you move in and out of Fate, then... You don't want him to realize how that works, so the less information he can grasp, the better.

I'm not sure it would work if he tells the Pattern Spiders, the charm might fail, too.

An extra reason, then.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-02-11 at 11:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

A departing maid pauses and steps back towards the estate. "Yes, sir; he was in the kitchen working on a new soup recipe. What's the problem?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Drake's expression goes into a frown for a moment when the spider returns and skitters up his sleeve again, before turning back to the others, back to a calm face - can't break character in front of the maid.

"<Point the first, Raziel, I'm not irresponsible enough to doom someone, somewhere, to a horrible nonsense death, which is what would happen if I took a spider off the Loom. And second, Pyrus, sorry, but apparently your cook is... dead. He's down in the cellar>"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

"Nothing, go away now."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

5. - Top - End - #245

The servants do as they're told and head off.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, let's see if we can figure out how he died, and if this is something we should be concerned about." He heads for the cellar, dire lance in hand.

7. - Top - End - #247

The cellar is deserted but for a single figure, too still, in the far corner. On closer inspection, it would seem to be a basalt statue of the cook, perfectly carved, as he reached out to take a jar from a shelf.
    But with the spider's information, it clearly once was the cook. Poor Jing-Se.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid doesn't comment otherwise, not yet, since Pyrus hasn't asked and it is his house... but... after a brief time combing his memories, he does come up with something the dragon-blooded does deserve to know.
    He coughs politely. "Basalt, uh, <Basalt is associated with Scourges. Like Laurel.>"
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-02-13 at 04:48 AM. Reason: spelling

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course it is. I'll give her points for punctuality at least. We should check around, see if whoever did this is still here."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"<You also may want to consider my application for reassignment. I don't know about you, but ever since I was sent here, I've been getting this general sense of doom pervading Gem. As if Samsara itself-yes, I know about that Drake, you can't talk about Sachaverell without it entering the conversation-has decided the city is an eyesore. Yes, I know it's cowardly and selfish, but seriously, Scourges are even more homicidal then the Silent Wind herself. At least she avoids killing some people.>"
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

No where's safe, not now. The Realms dissolving, and likely to take half the world with it. And the other half left for the Fey and the Dead. Unless, of course, someone does something.
    Wing isn't idle while he says this, moving around the room as he does so, trying to find any trace of the person who did this, especially smells.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception+Investigation roll, to see if I can figure out what's going on. Also activating Keen Smell and Taste Technique, to try and see if I can scent her.
    Perception+Investigation(no other bonuses)(8d10)[38]Actual roll is here.

Personal Pool; 9/18, unless we've regained any motes since my shapeshifting scenes.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-02-13 at 07:13 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

"You wouldn't know that by listening to the talk on the Isle, they seem to thing putting someone on the throne will solve everything."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, getting someone strong and competent on the throne without a civil war will solve everything. Just like it would have solved many of Rome's problems, or China's, or any number of other civilizations from Earth. The issue is that the strong, competent people aren't going to get on the throne without a civil war, and such a war always lessens the culture that spawns it. Too many of their best dead, nevermind all the people who fought or supported the wrong side that must be crushed by the new regime seeking to solidify it's power. Look at the pressure the Houses are putting on tributaries for early tribute, or the fact that most of the legions, and all of the elder dragon-blooded are withdrawn form outer provinces, neglecting their duty in favor of contesting the throne.

Pyrus's comment seems to have struck a nerve, or an interest. You're not really sure which would be worse. Sure, striking a nerve can lead to bad feelings, but at least it won't bore you to death.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #254

Question Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

Wing can faintly detect a familiar scent that's not any of them or the cook. Laurel was here, briefly, up and down the stairs.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, Laurel was here. I think I could track her, if you we wanted to.

Spoiler
    Show
    How does one track someone else?
    Satomi by Elagune

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Drake's eyes narrow on seeing the basalt statue. Drake is no fighter, and as aggressive as a kitten normally - but, again, Drake got his morals from Spiderman and Kenshin. Killing completely unrelated and innocent people just as a "warning" makes his blood boil.

The conversation quickly moves away from that, though, so Drake turns to the others. "Indeed. And that's the problem with making an empire focused completely on letting you - not your line, but you specifically - keep power, like the Empress did. If you die, the whole thing explodes. And people are entirely too busy looking at their navels to realize just how massively screwed we can be if the civil war does break out. <I just hope the Fae don't notice that we have no Sword of Creation for a while, because if they do, all this whole thing is going to be moot>" the annoyance in Drake's voice is obvious. He is rather fed up with the inability of people to look further than their own personal interests - you'd think that between the Deathknights and the Fae and the returning Solars and all the other dozen world-ending cataclysms, people would be forming a block to resist the tide, instead of engaging in ****-measuring contests. But noooo...

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid folds his arms, looking over the scene. It's clear Laurel killed the man, then. What he really wants to know is why... but investigating how will have to do in keeping the hatred for Laurel that's building inside from bursting out. He tunes his essence, resonating with his own vision such that he can see perfectly the motes and intricate patterns of the world around himself - and specifically, the statue. In the meantime, he speaks.

"<Whatever Laurel is doing, she is treating my allies as her enemies, or sees no distinction. Either way, she is starting to make herself an obstacle.> I'm glad to hear you aren't mindlessly pro-Realm, at any rate. One of the reasons I want access to Gem is to show the Realm just where they're failing. Although seeing someplace in Creation rise, instead of fall, in the face of doom would be... nice."
    Orchid's voice drifts to wistfulness upon the final word. The thought, maybe Nexus, too... rises unbidden from his oldest memories. He hadn't even realized, that young, that his city might need saving. He banishes it; Gem could be the engine of rebirth for the entire world. In fact, if Nexus had to burn for that, he'd carry the first torch, sadness or not. That city gave nothing that it did not take back, in the end...

Spoiler
    Show

Just making use of Essence-Dissecting Stare, since I remembered that it doesn't turn off with every scene like the Solar version. In case they are needed...

Investigation+Perception (To see any clues to the cause of Flesh-to-Stone)
    (9d10)[2][2][4][9][1][7][5][5][4](39) Two successes. I'm glad that anything I can see is probably obvious, since evidently I'm not paying much attention.
    Occult+Intelligence (To understand what I might see)
    (10d10)[7][10][9][4][4][5][2][1][10][3](55) Six successes.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-02-14 at 05:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Amelia shifts her weight uncomfortably. "Ah...if we aren't all going to track her or anything else right now, do you know if Jing-se had any family someone needs to inform? It just...seems polite..." she trails off. Amelia had told the kids to come to Gem because it was fairly safe, and she knew no place would be perfect, and that they weren't really kids anymore, but if Laurel's the sort to kill as a warning, Amelia has some rather unprotected protectorates.
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    How does one track someone else?
    Follow the first clue and look for signs of their passing, their scent being especially good for it.
    You use Survival + Perception. If they're trying to hide, it's against their Stealth + Perception.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Playing Devil's Advocate for a second, here-the Realm doesn't really seem to be an unstable government. I mean, sure, it was made with the belief that the Emperess would reign forever-hence, no line of succession-but other then that it's been a pretty damn efficient state."

"Lord Szoreny thinks that what the Realm really needs is a threat to unite against. Once that happens, the Dragons' military discipline will kick in and they'll chose a leader without complaint."

"Speaking of demons...where the hell is Beheris? I left him in the townhouse...

Spoiler
    Show
    I figure this is a good a time as any to introduce my Familiar. Besides, he's close enough to his friends that he begins to worry about them if he thinks they're threatened.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Leaning slightly against a wall, Wing addresses Amelia's concerns first.
    I think I could track her. Though, do we want to? It's going to be a hostile act, so if we do we should be ready to fight.

But then he turns to Raziel.
    No, and I repeat, no nation can be stable if it'll start to fall apart if one person leaves, for whatever reason. Just like putting a thin layer of gold over lead doesn't magically transform the rest of the lead into gold.

Plus, they have outside threats. The Bull of the North's a huge threat, even destroyed an army. But they're ignoring him, letting him solidify his position. And a host of other threats. Sure, they're not actively at war at the moment, but that's because everyone who could go to war with them is instead waiting for them to tear themselves apart, and then gobble up the pieces.

Nevermind that the Empress's disappearance is suspicious as hell. Just gone on night, no sign of struggle? For an Elder Dragon-blooded? And no one remembers her name? Somethings not right, there.
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

"<Now, I never said I was completely anti-Realm. It's done more to keep the world from exploding under the weight than anything in recorded history except the Shogunate. But the Empress was more than a little megalomaniacal to make herself the center point of absolutely everything>" Drake says, as he looks around for any clues. "<But yeah, the dissappearance is worrisome. Especially since, and I'm telling you something I probably shouldn't, Fate lost track of her. That can imply a number of things, and not a single one of them is good>"

"<But, we have more immediate matters at hand>" he continues, slipping his hands into his pockets where her smashfists are. He really hopes it won't come to that, but a future confrontation with Laurel seems hard to avoid. He frowns. "<I'm in favor of tracking who did this and applying a correct dose of foot to ass>"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-02-14 at 02:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Nevermind that the Empress's disappearance is suspicious as hell. Just gone on night, no sign of struggle? For an Elder Dragon-blooded? And no one remembers her name? Somethings not right, there.[/COLOR]
    Suddenly, Raziel begins to look very shifty for a few seconds, looking around suspiciously.

Then, leaning in close to Drake and Wing, he whispers: "<Don't even give a hint I said this, but there's another reason why I think the Realm may survive-one that directly involves the fact that the Dragon is building a palace-one that looks a lot like the Imperial one.>"

"<It's only a theory, but...I'm not taking the risk a certain Basalt Wolf is listening. Explain later.>"
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-02-14 at 04:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid looks around. Going to war against the realm to force it to come together - or implode already and let the next empire in - is a pretty tempting idea... He just needs to check it more thoroughly...

But Sparrow is right. There are things that need to come first. "<As I said, Laurel's made herself an obstacle. So I have no loyalties getting in the way, and... Jing-se didn't need to die.>" Orchid glances at Raziel. Most Green Sun Princes wouldn't understand that feeling, but Raziel might... He joined the Reclamation to see the world reborn, even by fire. Not to see it burn. Otherwise, how could he stand the nightmares of Lillun?...

(Internal Dialogue)
    Spoiler
    Show
    We're going after Laurel. Do you have any recommendation for how to take her down?

Kill her. You don't think she can be converted, and you don't have the influence to go over her head. If you're going to fight another Prince for more than fun, you had better have reason to kill. You've been talking in English, except the bits about the Realm.

She killed this guy, for no reason.

That's not nearly enough. Even if it was unnecessary, she's literally one of fifty.

Really? Well, Raziel and I make two of fifty, and she's attacking us, indirectly. I thought you were in favor of decisive action when it needs to happen, and I can't act decisively with an axe murderer running around who could also blow all my secrets wide open, except to get rid of her. But the real reason is, she killed this guy, and it was unnecessary, and she knew that. I'm still... I still have righteous fury, right now, and sadness too. He was a cook, not a guard. Maybe later I can put that more poetically.

I won't stop you, but you had better make use of this.

Orchid looks up again, speaking with force, if not always certainty.
    "<We need to decide what to do with Laurel before we catch up to her. Melodies thinks the only way to resolve this is probably to kill her. I'm... not sure I agree, but we can't fight her and then just have it be over, so we need to resolve this now, or she'll just keep attacking. Do any of you have something that might hold her?>"

Orchid has no idea what Raziel is talking about, which is intensely worrying. It involves the Ebon Dragon and the Realm, after all... On the plus side, rumors about the Ebon Dragon and his wife and palace don't really stop in Malfeas, they just get louder or softer, so there's probably nothing new.
    That might even be comforting if the Ebon Dragon weren't involved.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-02-14 at 05:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    Suddenly, Raziel begins to look very shifty for a few seconds, looking around suspiciously.

Then, leaning in close to Drake and Wing, he whispers: "<Don't even give a hint I said this, but there's another reason why I think the Realm may survive-one that directly involves the fact that the Dragon is building a palace-one that looks a lot like the Imperial one.>"

"<It's only a theory, but...I'm not taking the risk a certain Basalt Wolf is listening. Explain later.>"
    Drake has no idea what Raziel is talking about. But he has seen a lot of movies, is really quick on the uptake, a perennial Epileptic Tree gardener, and above all has a constantly-theorizing mind that calculates possible routes for each foot whenever he takes a step. So this small clue makes him look at Raziel with an inquisitive look, the gears turning inside his brain at vertiginous speed...

...and then a theory hits him with the strength of an uppercut, giving him the look of a deer in headlights. All the color has drained from Drake's normally tan face by the time he looks back at Raziel with a noticeable "oh for the love of God please please tell me you're not saying what I think you're saying" expression. Drake has kept a pretty good poker face up to now, even with Laurel, but now he's honest-to-god scared and he can't hide it. Imperial Palace in Hell, the nature of the Surrender Oaths, and then the Empress is suddenly kidnapped... in the shadows. Is it even possible? Something's missing from the puzzle in Drake's mind, and he has no idea what it is, and this disquiets him. If the Ebon Dragon has kidnapped the Empress to have some arcane link to the foundations of the Earth Pole and therefore the base of Creation... not good.

So Orchid's intervention is exceedingly welcome, giving Drake something else to focus on than the sense of doom. "<Sorry, no restraints here, much ones that would work for someone outside of Fate. I was just sent to investigate, not whack anyone! And even if I had, somehow I get this feeling that she's probably pretty good at escaping bonds...>" Drake would really love to avoid killing her - he's never killed anyone, and he'd like this to continue - but he just can't see how they could restrain her... hell, for all they know, she might be able to turn into a shadow and escape from anywhere, or become a mini Ebon Dragon and slither through the bars, or who the hell knows what else...
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-02-14 at 05:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

"<Between the Ebon Dragon and Adorjan... I doubt there's much she can't escape from, certainly not that we have. But I have to try and ask, or I don't think I could stand to kill even her. We could possibly lock her up for a short time and look for other possibilities. I at least have all the materials I'd need to forge some good mundane chains, I just would need to make them and have nowhere to hold her anyway.>"

He really, really doesn't want to think about the Ebon Dragon too hard.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

"Guys, we can all agree the Empress was clearly waaaay to big a Star Wars nerd and modeled the Realm after the Empire, far to reliant on the guy at the top. If we can find Laurel, I'm all for it. I just wish we knew where to send the body. And when we're done with that, I vote we go to the Despot and tell him we're taking an interest in the running of the city. He's not a fool, he'll accept a few silent partners rather than fight this many Exalted. And, I might be able to make him think I got realm backup."
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2011-02-14 at 10:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

A plan to solve the little Scourge problem and maybe bring something good for the Despot at the same time ignites inside of Orchid's mind.

"<Pyrus' plan is good. And, if we bring the Despot a criminal Exalted... He might even have enough resources we could keep her locked up, if we decide that's best. Or the authority to execute her lawfully - either way, good for us all. But we have to take down Laurel first. She gets a chance to explain herself, and then we kill her or drag her to the Despot, and make that a goodwill gesture. Good?>"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raziel was of two minds.

On one hand, Scourge of the Ebon Dragon, and probably a lot more experienced then him.

On the other hand, if she interpreted the Urge in the most literal sense possible...

"...Why the hell not. I'll be the first to admit I'm a coward, but if it means saving innocent people, I'll help as I can. Besides, I have a cult here anyway, and I hate leaving people behind."
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-02-14 at 10:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

So, we're ready to look for Laurel? Good, let's go.

Assuming an affirmative, Wing starts out. It's not hard, at least to start. Few people really think to cover their scent. His tongue flicking in and out, he follows the trail.

Spoiler
    Show

(9d10)[10][8][2][8][7][9][8][2][9](63)+1 success from Keen Sense Technique.
    Satomi by Elagune