New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    so... Technoesque Arcane/Magic? Like... steampunk robots that aren't steampunk but are built and animated through careful placement of magical seals/runes throughout its frame?
    Wasn't really thinking about that. It's just that a lot of philosophical groups of thought would be very well suited to base a magical or technological class on.

For instance, postmodernism involves the belief that many apparent realities are only social constructs, subject to change inherent in time and place. This could result in a class that tweaks the laws of the universe around him by convincing others that that is the way it should be (or that that is the way it really is), thus changing social consensus.

Pythagoreanism could result in a class that is highly mathematical in nature, using formulae to affect the limitless essence of the world to create elemental effects.

A class based off Plato's views could involve a lot of calling effects from higher planes through a cave-like extraplanar "tunnel".

Just some thoughts to start off with.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

I did have an idea for an Existentialist class. I was actually thinking that it would be more appropriate as a prestige class, though. I'm not sure whether I'll ever get around to making it, as I don't really have any homebrew experience and I would need a lot of feedback.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

The philosophy theme seems like it kind of falls into the mind-themed contest...

Maybe we could do something based on environment? A class could be based on one or multiple elements (air, earth, fire, water, etc.), geomancy (Final Fantasy, anyone), a tree...
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe class abilities should have something to do with a location. That might not work well with adventuring characters, though, unless the location is general rather than specific.

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinArchmage View Post
    Maybe class abilities should have something to do with a location. That might not work well with adventuring characters, though, unless the location is general rather than specific.
    That would fall under the environment idea. It's a good idea for a class, though. As a base class, you'd want to include more than one "location" and maybe a way to change your locations.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, a single location would be far too restrictive to base a base class on anyways. I could see an environment-based one though.

Other ideas:

A class based around a single weapon or fighting style (like Kensai)
    A class based on rituals - complex magic that is powerful, but takes more time to set up.
    A class based on food, eating, consumption
    A class focused on owning and maintaining a magic store
    A class focused on soul
    A class focused on heritage
    A class focused on binding/shadow magic/truenaming
    A class focused on physical appearance

And, of course, all the suggestion on page 6 of the thread.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    A class focused on physical appearance
    Without BoEF's Appearance Stat?

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    The philosophy theme seems like it kind of falls into the mind-themed contest...

Maybe we could do something based on environment? A class could be based on one or multiple elements (air, earth, fire, water, etc.), geomancy (Final Fantasy, anyone), a tree...
    Fine by me too. I actually have had two class ideas floating around in my head at current that I really want to make: the Bayesian Empirimancer and the Flexinancer.

I love your referencing this.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

I liked these:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonjek View Post
    How about...

A class based on science (Technology! Mad Science! Normal Science! Alchemy! Fake Science! Magitech! Etc.!)?

A class that is based on language, rune-working, Truespeaking, the Words of Creation, Black Speech, the written word, etc.?

A class based on the spirits, the dead, souls, etc.?

A class that has an object or companion required to work to full potential?

A class that relates to or has a connection to a certain creature or type of creature?

A class that originated from a certain race or culture, and is rarely found outside of it?

A class that involves the character changing into something else, be it becoming a lich ala Dread Necromancer, becoming an outsider like the Monk, transforming with Wild Shape like a Druid, or anything else the creator may think of?
    Other ideas:

A class that's from another world.

Steampunk classes

Monster classes--not racial progression classes but a class that a race traditionally treated as monsters can take as a PC class--Minotaur Wrestlers, Hobgoblin Dictators, Troll Axethrowers, Illithid Insane Geniuses

Swashbuckler/Pirate classes

Replacement classes--You would pick some basic fundamental schtick of D&D and do a whole new class with a whole new approach for it--a thief that wasn't a Rogue--a priest that wasn't a Cleric or a Druid, a tribesman that isn't a barbarian, etc.

Mystic assassins--I'd love to see some of these!!

NPC classes good enough to compete with PC classes but still fundamentally structured for NPCs

Elemental classes--except you can't use Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Wood or Metal as elements but have to come up with something new

Anime classes

Space fantasy classes--like Star Wars but with magic instead of the Force

Old West classes

Stone Age/cavemen classes

Witch classes--I just saw the Nightsisters in Clone Wars and they were awesome!!

Classes some how based on flight

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Why not include it?

What about a class that integrates an optional non-core rule/system?

Things like Honor, Taint, Incarnum, etc.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Why not include it?.
    Because not all of us have BoEF.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

So? I do.

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    A class based on food, eating, consumption
    This could go somewhere if we take out the food/eating part. Just making the theme "consumption" would be interesting. It opens up possibilities that could have worked in the "Let Me Borrow That" contest but weren't entered, but also leaves open a great amount of other concepts, including food-based classes, soul eaters, "illithid" classes, and even crazy ideas like a shopper class.

Does anyone else have favorite ideas for implementation? I'd like some input into what you guys and gals like best, as we have a ton of ideas to pick from, but no leanings toward any of the ideas.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

What I'd like to see most would be steampunk classes. I once thought of starting a contest on my own for them that would accept both base and prestige classes as long as they were steampunk in nature.

After that, I'd like to see a contest wrapped around the concept of space fantasy. Not just spelljammer but any combination of space and fantasy--Dragonstar, for instance.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is the last contest over? I vote steampunk as well. =)

16. - Top - End - #286

Thank you, Morph Bark, for taking over in my time of business. You've probably noticed that I'm less busy and more able to post lately. This is good. Participate in this contest.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #287

Yay. My first contest class won ~<3

I think Steampunk is a little overused. I would say d&d needs more BoEF classes, but this isn't the right forum for that :P
    Sooo...

1st: Divine/Arcane hybrid class
    2nd: Psionic/Divine hybrid class
    3rd: Psionic/Arcane hybrid class
    honorable mention: Steampunk.

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

I think Steampunk is a little overused.
    I agree. Although it can be pretty cool, it seems like it's usually more of a gimmick.

I would say d&d needs more BoEF classes
    Basing it off of a single third party sourcebook is kind of restrictive, though. Not to mention that doing a theme that revolves around that is kind of...unpleasant for some.

19. - Top - End - #289

Basing it off of a single third party sourcebook is kind of restrictive, though.
    I don't get how anyone sees it this way. Its more open in fact, The only thing different is your using things related to the book in addition the the norm. Which when contest classing usually you keep things in line with only Core. When actively working it to fit with an additional resource, you get Core, and what ever fun things lie with the base book.

Not to mention that doing a theme that revolves around that is kind of...unpleasant for some.
    Though I'm no one of them I do agree that BoEF isn't one of the best books to revolve around here. I really don't see a problem with it if people don't explicitly describe anything or make it too Scrub'able.
    BoEF isn't just about things to be shunned. It adds depth, better interaction, social dynamics, and namely Love. The sexual aspects of it is just something the book focuses a bit more on as its something that it needs to cover some more since there aren't much other places to look for rules, systems and mechanics for lust in d&d while maintaining a mature mood, unlike Nymphology which is more joking, and light hearted.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #290

Instead of making the theme "BoEF" we could make the theme something like "Romance" or "Love" or maybe even "Charm" - do a spread of mind-based classes, controllers, and diplomamancers. That way there's plenty of room for, say, divine prostitutes as well as more esoteric concepts like Dashing Swordsman or what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Instead of making the theme "BoEF" we could make the theme something like "Romance" or "Love" or maybe even "Charm" - do a spread of mind-based classes, controllers, and diplomamancers. That way there's plenty of room for, say, divine prostitutes as well as more esoteric concepts like Dashing Swordsman or what have you.

My main goal for a BoEF class would be use of Appearance stat. which I agree with, Charisma =/= physical appearance and with it some brute of a character can't be as attractive as a character meant to be. (because as is its all just fluff, but not with the App stat)

But a Love&Romance contest is good.

Change in vote:
    1st: Love&Romance
    2nd: Psionic/Divine hybrid
    3rd: Steampunk

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

I vote for wuxia.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-07-02 at 07:25 PM.
    My Steam profile

23. - Top - End - #293

I'll let the votes continue until 11:59 p.m. of July 5th. At that time, I'll tally the votes and make a new thread. Sound fair?
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #294

Ooooh, we should do a "Can We Fix It" theme where we rebalance an already-published class!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

+1 to the above.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

While fixing established classes is often dandy, there are tons of fixes already out there, so it would be hard not to end up with some plagiarism or claims of plagiarism even if it is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Thank you, Morph Bark, for taking over in my time of business. You've probably noticed that I'm less busy and more able to post lately. This is good. Participate in this contest.
    You're welcome. And I definitely will this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    "Charm" is a little too close to the mind-based theme that BCCV had.

Perhaps going for physical/appearance-based casters is an idea? Seems to me like that'd have the people work up something original.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-07-02 at 03:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

I support appearance based casters. I have a fun little idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

By "anime classes", do you mean a humorous style(class with shonen time, magical girl class that have tranformation scenes, bishonen class that makes young girls swoon), or do you mean classes based on anime characters?(like Behold_the_Void's bleach classes)

29. - Top - End - #299

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    By "anime classes", do you mean a humorous style(class with shonen time, magical girl class that have tranformation scenes, bishonen class that makes young girls swoon), or do you mean classes based on anime characters?(like Behold_the_Void's bleach classes)
    I would guess our resident speedy mongoose meant classes with an anime style. You could base a class off a character, but you'd probably end up with a fairly thin base class unless that character has been developed very thoroughly. That's more of a prestige class's area, anyway.

Basing a class on a whole show filled with characters, though, may work.

So, in case there's still any confusion, it's the style of anime that would be the object if that was the theme, not anime itself.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

I'll take out the anime part. It's supposed to be wuxia style.
    My Steam profile