New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Tomb of Horrors

Welby smartly raps on the stud, and the needle breaks off harmlessly. The bottom of the "chest" falls open.
    Nobody else notices.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I AM INVINCIBLE" screams the halfling at the top of his voice tempting the fates [[and the DM]] to prove him wrong.

"Hey guys, I... yes _ I _ disarmed a trap. There is some kind of poison needle here... perhaps we can give it to Jake... he seems better" he said in a good hearted way.

He then proceeded to look at the opened box carefully still not believing he had managed not to trigger anything bad.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay so here goes

Spot for what is in the open box without touching it or putting my hand in.
    (1d20+4)[11]

If I see nothing I will prod around with the rod carefully and again if there seems to be nothing there I will very carefully and very ready to pull it out put my hand in and feel around the box.

search
    (1d20+3)[18]

AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Looking into the hidden compartment beneath the box, Welby can see a lever. It is apparent that in order to flip it, he'll have to land to get the proper leverage and angle.

4. - Top - End - #244

The little halfling contemplated the options. Perhaps he was being paranoid but he was not going to set a foot on any of these tiles after their fellow had almost died simply by walking around even after Snake had searched the area.

As such he looked at the wall and planted his feet and stopped flapping his wings. As opposed to what you would expect, him falling down, his feet kept him on the wall as if gravity had been reversed.

Having a proper albeit unconventional place to "stand on" Welby with great caution pulled the lever.

Spoiler
    Show

Cloak of arachnida allows for spiderclimb hence instead of standing on the floor, I stand on the wall just as well.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As Welby yanks on the lever, the trap door in front of the chest and fresco releases to reveal a 30-foot deep pit. Below, more spikes, dust and bones can be seen.
    [I'm going to get you eventually.]
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-20 at 10:21 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jake stands up, supported by wobbly knees. "Any of you know the spell 'Restoration', I'm still feeling quite weak from that poison" [Con is 2, Max HP is 29 by consequence] Jake will proceed to relieve his stomach of it's contents.
    -sig-

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Oh come on man! Don't puke all over the man's tomb! ><]

8. - Top - End - #248

{{Sorry man, no demilich can get me... "cant touch this..."}}

Welby stares intently at what just happened and breathes out after a moment.

"Okay, whoever made this place is really twisted! Whoever thought of a trapped chest that opens to reward you with a... Trap! Stay on your toes my friends... or even better on the walls... though for all we know they may also be trapped. Mr Snake shall we continue down the path?" said the hafling more serious than before.

OOC: Sorry Jake but I have nothing else that can help you... no restoration, no cures or anything... we have an actual pc cleric but he has disappeared and I dont know if Oasis want to NPC him...

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    That's actually a good idea. TIPOT has become unable to take part, so Trevor will now be an NPC. I'm still waiting for Ithildur to reply on the original sign up thread...
    I'll send him a PM.
    {{Sorry man, no demilich can get me... "cant touch this..."}}
    If you guys ever manage to get out of this hallway, that confidence is gonna go REAL fast. =P

Harley stares in horror, at the Welby's death trap.
    "This place is worse than I thought... Daina-go see if you can wake Trevor, Snake and I will scout the rest of the corridor before we go anywhere."
    Daina appears to have swallowed acid to be taking an order from Harley, but with a look at Jake, she runs out of the corridor without another word.
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-20 at 05:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Daina returns with Trevor, she and the dwarf look particularly grin. In fact, Daina even looks a little green...
    Without a word, the dwarf kneels by Jake and pulls out a bunch of scrolls. Dranga can just make out the divine casting of a lesser restoration. The first scroll maxes, out and Jake feels a surge of health... The second scroll, doesn't quite help as much, but Jake can still feel the powerful divine magic forcing the poison out of his body.
    The third, fourth and fifth spells, barely work at all, and in frustration the dwarf goes on to use the final lesser restoration spell.
    As Jake sits up, the spell makes another feeble attempt to heal him.
    [The spells restored 12 Constitution, leaving Jake with 14. Does the antitoxin still apply even though he's technically been "healed"?]
    Standing up, "Usually, I'd be able to do more... Maybe it's this place... And usually, I would have advised Jake to simply wait for tomorrow so I could prepare a more powerful spell... But things have changed..."
    Daina voids the contents of her stomach into the pit.
    "Jim is dead!"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the effects of the lesser restoration spells kick in, Jake takes a moment to savor the relief.

"Shall we move on," he asks as if this were business as usual.
    -sig-

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Snake nods. "Aye, where next?"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Don't you want to know how Jim died?]
    Harley takes out his spade, and uses it to smash in the remaining trapdoor Snake pointed out.
    "There's further down this corridor-and that "warning" Welby found might serve as some use. Perhaps whoever this tomb belongs to wishes to challenge those who would rob him?"
    [map forthcoming]

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Snake moves forward cautiously, scanning for more traps.

(1d20+16)[26]

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Harley uncovers another pit trap in the centre of the corridor, and Snake finds another further down.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jake begins to follow behind Harley and Trevor, careful to avoid any traps they have pointed out. Trying to be careful he tests his footing before each step and keeps his eye out for signs of a trap. (Moving 1/4 or 1/8 speed to walk like a ninja, check the pressure of your step each step - Not concerned about being slow, Jake just doesn't want to get impaled and poisoned again...)

(1d20+7)[24] [Search]

(1d20+10)[11] [Reflex, in case it's needed]

EDIT: Bahahahaha, Rolled a 1 on my reflex, Jake Tempts The Gods
    Last edited by FireSickle; 2011-01-21 at 08:58 AM.
    -sig-

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Dude, you REALLY need to get some luck-good thing your Search turned out well!]
    Peering over Harley's dirty shoulder, Jake can make out the edges of another trapdoor, thirty feet from the South wall on the West side.
    Pointing it out to Harley, the man lopes forward to disable it with his trusty spade.
    At the South end of the corridor, the red tile path bifurcates (10 feet from the South wall). One fork turns East into a what appears to be another corridor, and the other leads into the gaping maw of a great green devil.
    A closer look shows that the short corridor is not much more than an ofshoot to house an arch.
    A section of the red tile path leads into a mist-filled stone archway. Three large stones are embedded in the arch. Each has a different hue—yellow on the lower left, bluish at the top of the arch, and orange on the lower right.
    The other fork of the red tile path leads directly to a leering devil face set in the mosaic at the corridor’s end.
    The devil’s mouth gapes wide and empty—in fact it is dead black, emitting no hint of light and allowing no light entry.
    Standing by the entrance, Bob notices the weather is taking a turn for the worse, an unusual occurence this early in the morning. Clouds are gathering on the horizon, above the trees and the wind is picking up.

The Misty Arch

The Jolly Green Devil

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Dranga casts a spell before moving down the hall. "Polymorph." Her form shudders for a moment, then shrinks to that of a small sphere, about a foot across. After her form finishes changing, she hovers off the ground and follows the group. The form seems to vibrate for a second, a high-pitched and ghostly sound coming from it.

"Whichwayshouldwego?"

"Bothwayslookratherominous,"

[Using Polymorph to turn into a Will-o-Wisp]
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-01-21 at 12:40 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Well, you and Welby appear to be the right side to check if there's a way through that mouth? Or if there's anything inside. Perhaps a Detect Magic?", Daina suggests.
    Harley approaches the misty arch with a gleam in his eye; his gloves are off and he holds a mallet and chisel in hand. Within 5 feet of the entranceway, the base stones glow yellow on the left, orange on the right, and the keystone 7 feet above glows blue.
    Pausing, Harley eyes the stones with a humorous mix of desire and caution.
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-21 at 12:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I think going into that mist would be a dumb idea," Jake mutters as he cautiously makes his way closer. [sorry couldn't resist]. "After we've appropriately observed both entrance ways, I suggest we stick Welby's lit-up-arrow into the mouth to see what happens when it is presented with a lighted object. Be careful to not get your hand in the hole though... If the arrow is too short, cast light on my spare Greatsword and I will stick that in."

(1d20+7)[18] [Search as Jake approaches]
    -sig-

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jake's Search reveals nothing of note...
    Harley, hearing Jake's words, stops eyeing the gemstones...
    Which continue to flash in the same sequence.
    Left yellow. Blue Above. Orange right.
    in his armour, Trevor shrugs, "I didn't have Detect Magic prepared today... I've got Dispel Magic if we need it..."
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-02-03 at 10:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jake pulls out a torch and lights it with his flint and steel.
    -sig-

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Are you stickin' that in the hole?
    AND, if anyone is going through the Mist, I NEED to know whether or not you go through it on the red path, or off it. Flying above the red path counts as being "on" it.
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-21 at 01:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Jake's not doing anything until he sees someone inspect the Mouth and the Myst-room doorway. The intention is that he will after someone has looked at it first]
    -sig-

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

(ooc: Sorry, I've been busy irl, does jake still need some healing? I have a wand of lesser restoration and a wand of cure light wounds)

Seeing the rest of the party make it's way down the hallway, Bob feels more confidant in heading down. He avoids known pitfalls, and makes his way down to the end of the hallway.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Jake is still sitting at -2 Con, lesser restoration should give 1d4 points back right? Jake is only down 10 or so HP I think (without looking at my sheet)]
    -sig-

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bob will administer some first aid to Jake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wand of lesser restoration (1d4)[2]
    Wand of Cure Light Wounds (1d8+1)[8]

"I don't trust either of these portals. If I was some sort of crafty wizard, I would make any obvious entrances deathtraps, and hide the real door. If you want to check them out though, I have a Mage hand necklace for inanimate objects, and a wand of summon monster for animate objects...I really wish you'd wait for my auguries before running down hallways filled with doom. We could avoid more doom that way."

Even though he chides the party, Bob is relieved that no one was seriously hurt.
    Last edited by Ermanti; 2011-01-21 at 05:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

(1d4)[2] Back up to 16 Constitution it appears.
    Harley shakes his head, "I think he was a sorceror... And besidesm these appear to be the only way! Unless you saw any secret or hidden entrances back there, that arch has gotta be the way through. Why don't you try and put that wand to good use!"
    Daina smirks, "What happened to your 'accent'?"
    Harley scowls, and takes a swing with his spade into the mouth of the green devil. Promptly, the spade disappears.
    "Whoa."
    Arcana/Spellcraft checks would be appropriate.
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-21 at 07:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

"GAH!!"Bob shrieks as the spade disappears."You could of killed us all. Who knows what kind of doomy doom could have doomed us all by doing that?" A feeling of dread passes over Bob.

He'll then use his wand of summon monster to make a celestial dog, he'll command it to run 20 feet past the door and then 20 feet back....and while he's at it, he'll move 20 feet back down the hallway, only walking on previously traveled squares.