New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Character Builder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by feollus View Post
    Ouch. Your stats seem a little low for that sort of roll, but I don't think that you can arbitrarily consider any set of stats "low" without other information. There's a lot of different ways to make stats, so my guess is that the stats you saw earlier just used a higher power system of rolling or a really high point buy system. Check the DMG (p. 146, I think, but I'm not sure- either way, it's in the table of contents).
    i so far only used the 32 point buy system and i never got that high stats. i usually got only 2 stats above 15 and needed to takeas many stats below 13.

My best set of stats (including racial bonuses) were
    STR 12
    DEX 20 (16+4)
    CON 12
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 14 (12+2)

The racial bonuses are from catfolk

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Ouch. Your stats seem a little low for that sort of roll, but I don't think that you can arbitrarily consider any set of stats "low" without other information. There's a lot of different ways to make stats, so my guess is that the stats you saw earlier just used a higher power system of rolling or a really high point buy system. Check the DMG (p. 146, I think, but I'm not sure- either way, it's in the table of contents).
    i so far only used the 32 point buy system and i never got that high stats. i usually got only 2 stats above 15 and needed to takeas many stats below 13.

STR 12
    DEX 20 (16+4)
    CON 12
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 14 (12+2)

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

STR 12
    DEX 20 (16+4)
    CON 12
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 14 (12+2)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

STR 12
    DEX 20 (16+4)
    CON 12
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 14 (12+2)

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

STR 12
    DEX 20 (16+4)
    CON 12
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 14 (12+2)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

STR 12
    DEX 20 (16+4)
    CON 12
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 14 (12+2)

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

STR 12
    DEX 20 (16+4)
    CON 12
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 14 (12+2)

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

hey there! I would really appreciate it if somebody could make a from-scratch invisible blade character for me. A good deal of skill tricks and ranks in tumble are a definite for him. Thank you for your time!

* * * * *a. I can use any complete book (except psionic) and the core three.
    * * * * *b. Race: human
    * * * * *c. Class: fighter 5/rogue 5/invisible blade 10
    * * * * *d. Ability Scores: elite array, with the boosts gained from levelling up. (aka 18 to 8)
    * * * * *e. Alignment: chaotic good
    * * * * *f. House Rules: None that apply to this situation.
    * * * * *g. Concept: I would prefer one who can function on his own, with good ranks in tumble, along with the right skill tricks and feats to help him avoid being a support character.
    * * * * *h. Other: He'll end up facing a powerful evoker and a 20th-level swashbuckler, both of whom fight dirty. I'd like for him to be capable of at least giving them a good run for their money.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by wowy319; 2007-04-16 at 10:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

In reply to wowy319:

I'd be willing to write this character up a bit later today, although, if PHBII is allowed, may I suggest Swashbuckler1/Fighter4/Rogue5/InvBlade10? The 5th fighter level is generally useless, and the Swashbuckler would get you Weapon Finesse for free

10. - Top - End - #400
    Dwarf in the Playground

sure thing! I think a level of swashbuckler would be perfect! (By the by, wasn't swashbuckler in complete warrior as well?)

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by wowy319 View Post
    sure thing! I think a level of swashbuckler would be perfect! (By the by, wasn't swashbuckler in complete warrior as well?)
    Probably :) In fact, it may not even be in PHBII. Silly me. It shall be built soon.

EDIT: Standard WBL? Or butt-naked? Additionally, Invisible Blade is only 5 levels, not 10. What would you like for the other 5?

12. - Top - End - #402
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Could someone please help me build an effective druid? I've been playing DnD for years, but i have never played a druid. I am looking for an effective build from low to high levels (probably up till 15th or so). This includes, feats to be taken, at what levels, as well as possiby what prestiege classes make for a good build.

so here is my request as per the standard procedure:
    1. Level by Level Build
    ***(a) Any books may be used as long as they are 3.5, excepting the book of the nine swords.
    ***(b) Preferably an Elf, others are acceptable if they are justified by a powerful build and/or speeding up a good build (for instance i would not say no to human if the extra feat would allow me to take a prestiege class 3 levels sooner).
    ***(c) Druid, and any prestiege classes that may be effective
    ***(d) Ability Scores: 32 point buy. possibly 10,16,12,12,16,12 (including elven stat adjustments) i do not have my heart set on these stats. it just seems a good setup for a druid... change them if you have to.
    ***(e) preferably CN, but not set in stone
    ***(f) house rules: none
    ***(g) concept: wilderness type guy, peaceful in nature, does not like to be bothered, but not above violence if it protects himself/nature/friends. crunchy stuff: Natural spell at 6th level? it seems like a good feat. but i don't have to take it.
    ***(h) campaign seems to have a good amount of combat, predominantly powerful monsters. it is possible that the aim of the campaign is to prevent the fall of the gods and eventual destruction of all mortals. The campaign will probably involve all types of settings, though the DM seems to prefer for the fighting to occur away from town centers and such.

Thanks for your help!
    Darnit Dave! what did i tell you about playin' that unicorns and corridors?!
    - Chuck

Fool me once? shame on you,
    Fool me twice? Do you want your posessions identified?
    - Kevin, about nethack

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok. Small request. Beguiler, level 1. All books allowed (apart from Races of... and Comp. Scoundrel)

Stats

Str: 10
    Dex: 16
    Con: 10
    Int: 16
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 14

Lightfoot halfling.
    I think, therefore I am... I think...

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

Standard WBL? Or butt-naked? Additionally, Invisible Blade is only 5 levels, not 10. What would you like for the other 5?
    I could have sworn it was ten... if it's only five, then I'd say add 4 levels of swashbuckler and another level of rogue. As for gear, standard WBL is perfect.
    Last edited by wowy319; 2007-04-16 at 07:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405

I really want to make a character who specializes in harpoon-throwing. The problem is that the only group I can find is Living Greyhawk, so I have to play by their rules.
    There's a big list of what's allowed on the last few pages of this, but most of the Complete books are allowed, as are Stormwrack and the other environmentals; LG uses 28-point-buy for ability generation, and it doesn't allow evil characters.

I'm looking for a level-by-level build, by the way.
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-04-17 at 09:48 AM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    I really want to make a character who specializes in harpoon-throwing. The problem is that the only group I can find is Living Greyhawk, so I have to play by their rules.
    There's a big list of what's allowed on the last few pages of this, but most of the Complete books are allowed, as are Stormwrack and the other environmentals; LG uses 28-point-buy for ability generation, and it doesn't allow evil characters.

I'm looking for a level-by-level build, by the way.
    Hmm.. 28 point buy. Since Talos isn't a a greyhawk deity you could get away with a cleric/stormlord. Pump up Wis, nab Zen Archery, and your good to go.
    "You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."-Urza

17. - Top - End - #407

Quote Originally Posted by daedu View Post
    In reply to wowy319:

I'd be willing to write this character up a bit later today, although, if PHBII is allowed, may I suggest Swashbuckler1/Fighter4/Rogue5/InvBlade10? The 5th fighter level is generally useless, and the Swashbuckler would get you Weapon Finesse for free
    Uh... wouldn't that mean an XP penalty? Unless there is a way to make Swashbuckler your favoured class that I am not aware...
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Uh... wouldn't that mean an XP penalty? Unless there is a way to make Swashbuckler your favoured class that I am not aware...
    He's human. His favored class is whatever he wants it to be ;) Though, the end result was Ftr4/SwBklr5/Rog6/InvBld5

19. - Top - End - #409
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daedu View Post
    He's human. His favored class is whatever he wants it to be ;) Though, the end result was Ftr4/SwBklr5/Rog6/InvBlade/5
    Actually, a Human's Favoured class is their highest level class is, not what they want it to be.
    Last edited by Amon Star; 2007-04-19 at 11:19 AM.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Star View Post
    Actually, a Human's Favoured class is their highest level class is, not what they want it to be.
    True. In that case, it's rogue(6), and the other two class levels are within 1 level of each other. If i remember, that means no XP loss. Even then, since it's a level 20 character, and almost none of the abilities are order-dependent, then the 20th level could be the one that takes it from 4/5/5/5 to 4/5/6/5

21. - Top - End - #411
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cant think of a non cliche way to start this, so im gonna dive in and say please+thanks at the end?
    1. Which of the above are you asking for? Level-By-Level till 4
    2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:[
    B]Books[/B] Core, Complete(cited), Magic Item+Spell Compendium (cited), DMG2, MM 1-4, other books, but cited
    Race Any LA 3 or under, if it has wings then perfect!! maybe Half Fey from Monster Manual? Please try to keep to the Core books, plus MM2/3/4 and DMG2 for this one?
    Class Wizard 4
    Stats Already Rolled, 11,17,15,18,13,12
    Alignment Any non evil, NG, or TN?
    House Rules Elven Chain has an Arcane spell failure chance of 10%
    Concept I would like to have Loremaster requirements set up ( 10 in two Knowledge scores, Scribe scroll is automatic, so Quicken spell and Craft Wondrous Item would be wanted, Skill focus knowledge: arcana) and Eschew Materials, which doesnt count as a Item creation feat...
    Other: Other Characters are 1 Rogue, 1 Lizardfolk Barbarian, one Bard modelled after Elan, one Cleric who has never played before, A suicidal Dwarf Fighter, and possibly a halfing monk... most level 5. there was another rogue, but he made the Monk after everyone found out he only had one search rank... we pushed him into a trap, which the DM got a critical hit on...
    If you could provide a Spell list/ Equipment List, even better, but that is not needed. Please, for Angels everywhere, DO NOT SUPER OPTIMIZE. (no specilizing either)

If you take this Thanks to you, you deserve a cookie. If not, then no cooki fo' you...
    Last edited by Generic PC; 2007-04-22 at 07:17 PM.
    Yes, That is a Floating Psionic Sandwich. Kyace Stylized it.
    ...Then he had a Sandwich craving.

Spoiler
    Show

This AWESOME Warlock provided by...Goblin Music

Spoiler
    Show
    Other Avatars

Bard By Djinn_In_Tonic. Warlock By Ceika. Sandwich by Kyace.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quotemyname View Post
    Could someone please help me build an effective druid? I've been playing DnD for years, but i have never played a druid. I am looking for an effective build from low to high levels (probably up till 15th or so). This includes, feats to be taken, at what levels, as well as possiby what prestiege classes make for a good build.

so here is my request as per the standard procedure:
    1. Level by Level Build
    ***(a) Any books may be used as long as they are 3.5, excepting the book of the nine swords.
    ***(b) Preferably an Elf, others are acceptable if they are justified by a powerful build and/or speeding up a good build (for instance i would not say no to human if the extra feat would allow me to take a prestiege class 3 levels sooner).
    ***(c) Druid, and any prestiege classes that may be effective
    ***(d) Ability Scores: 32 point buy. possibly 10,16,12,12,16,12 (including elven stat adjustments) i do not have my heart set on these stats. it just seems a good setup for a druid... change them if you have to.
    ***(e) preferably CN, but not set in stone
    ***(f) house rules: none
    ***(g) concept: wilderness type guy, peaceful in nature, does not like to be bothered, but not above violence if it protects himself/nature/friends. crunchy stuff: Natural spell at 6th level? it seems like a good feat. but i don't have to take it.
    ***(h) campaign seems to have a good amount of combat, predominantly powerful monsters. it is possible that the aim of the campaign is to prevent the fall of the gods and eventual destruction of all mortals. The campaign will probably involve all types of settings, though the DM seems to prefer for the fighting to occur away from town centers and such.

Thanks for your help!
    An hint: take that nice feat on CAd (that I suspect is named Supreme Concentration, but I can't be sure of it: most of the english names are quite different...) that allows you to make a Concentration check as a free action, if you accept a big penality. Shapeshift in o big bad bear, cast invoke storm, then hit as a free action each round.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

23. - Top - End - #413
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

this will be simple/easy for you but someone please do it anyway if you have the time

currently have sorceror, lvl 2, elf, CN(G) alignment; ability scores: str 13, dex 15, con 12, int 16, wis 15, cha 18; HP 10; own longsword and shortbow; took feat Great Fortitude; languages: common, elven, orc, draconic, goblin; skill ranks: bluff 4, concentration 5, knowledge (arcana) 5, move silently 2, profession (cartography) 3, spellcraft 5, spot 1 (was given the 3 profession skill ranks as part of beginning story); have ring of spell storage with 4 slots; spells known lvl 0: daze, detect magic, mage hand, ray of frost, read magic; spells known lvl 1: color spray, mage armor.

i only want to use core 3.5 books (player handbook, DM guide, monster manual) and i dont want to use any prestige classes.

can you give me an "ideal" progression for this character within these parameters to lvl 20? only 2 other players in group: 2nd lvl dwarf cleric, 2nd lvl human fighter.

please email build(s) to me directly at [email protected] (i did say please)

thanks

"Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit."
    Last edited by douglasesims; 2007-04-22 at 05:13 PM. Reason: left something out

24. - Top - End - #414

Quote Originally Posted by ZekeArgo View Post
    Hmm.. 28 point buy. Since Talos isn't a a greyhawk deity you could get away with a cleric/stormlord. Pump up Wis, nab Zen Archery, and your good to go.
    I like Stormlord, but a harpoon is not a javelin, and nor is it a spear. LG is very strict and literal about the RAW. Any other ideas?
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

smile Newbie wannabe cleric.

Hello, i am kinda new to DnD, i know the rules but i havent played more than a few times (three) and each one with a diferent lvl 1 character.

But now it seems like i will finally be able to try this interesting game (and hilarous if i can see anything like Oots in a session, can i expect to see a crazy paladin?) and i was thinking on being a Cleric, so, can you help me out with feats and possible prestige classes or anything i need to know to truly help my party?

a. Core, i dont think the DM is going to allow anything too... non-traditional without him looking it
    b. Human
    c. Cleric
    d. Well, the dice didnt like me when we rolled, i got a 9, 10, 12, 12, 14 and a 17. yeah, i know, it is going to be a hard (but i was thinking on begging for a reroll, since not all the chars are finished... yet i think i could live with it)
    e. Lawful good, someone has to have a reason to help the poor NPCs who will reveal our adventure
    f. House Rules: none that i know about
    g. Well, i was thinking on a character that is the voice of reason in the team, so they dont kill themselves in the first 10 minutes, always taking care of his comrades, trying to protect them or even sacrificing himself, (if you think this is a bad idea for the cleric, say it) i dont want him to be a deppressed-negative-guy but an optimist guy (that doesnt mean he will be the first to atack the dragon).
    h. Other: I think we are going to face the forces of evil in a daily basis, combat is the way to go, so a pseudo-tank-cleric would be good... or if there is another way to survive, let me know.
    Our team is: two fighters, an elven wizzard and me, but our team could grow.

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas and builds.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    I like Stormlord, but a harpoon is not a javelin, and nor is it a spear. LG is very strict and literal about the RAW. Any other ideas?
    Heh. That was hilarious for a few seconds.
    After some x length of time, the charge in the capacitor went down to 0.1e-17[mV]. After writing the answer on the board, my professor turned to the class, pointed at it, and said "What's this number?" We said "That's one times ten to the negative 18 millivolts" when he interupted us and said "Wrong! The answer is zero. If you can't accept that 0.1e-17[mV] is equal to zero, you need to change your major to math right now, or you will hate the rest of your career."

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Newbie wannabe cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Helios Sunshard View Post
    Hello, i am kinda new to DnD, i know the rules but i havent played more than a few times (three) and each one with a diferent lvl 1 character.

But now it seems like i will finally be able to try this interesting game (and hilarous if i can see anything like Oots in a session, can i expect to see a crazy paladin?) and i was thinking on being a Cleric, so, can you help me out with feats and possible prestige classes or anything i need to know to truly help my party?

a. Core, i dont think the DM is going to allow anything too... non-traditional without him looking it
    b. Human
    c. Cleric
    d. Well, the dice didnt like me when we rolled, i got a 9, 10, 12, 12, 14 and a 17. yeah, i know, it is going to be a hard (but i was thinking on begging for a reroll, since not all the chars are finished... yet i think i could live with it)
    e. Lawful good, someone has to have a reason to help the poor NPCs who will reveal our adventure
    f. House Rules: none that i know about
    g. Well, i was thinking on a character that is the voice of reason in the team, so they dont kill themselves in the first 10 minutes, always taking care of his comrades, trying to protect them or even sacrificing himself, (if you think this is a bad idea for the cleric, say it) i dont want him to be a deppressed-negative-guy but an optimist guy (that doesnt mean he will be the first to atack the dragon).
    h. Other: I think we are going to face the forces of evil in a daily basis, combat is the way to go, so a pseudo-tank-cleric would be good... or if there is another way to survive, let me know.
    Our team is: two fighters, an elven wizzard and me, but our team could grow.

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas and builds.
    Hey, okay, thought I would take a crack at this:
    Human Cleric of Heironeous 1
    AB 0(3)*, AC 17, HP 8,
    Attributes: Strength 14, Dexterity 12, Constitution 10, Intelligence 12, Wisdom 17, Charisma 9
    Feats: Martial Weapon Proficiency (Long Sword), Weapon Focus (Long Sword)*, [-], [-],
    Skills: Heal 4(7), Knowledge (Religion) 4(5), Knowledge History 4(5), Spell Craft 4(5),
    Equipment: Scaled Armour (+4 AC), Long Spear (1D8+3), Long Sword (1D8+2), Heavy Shield (+2 AC), Dagger (1D4+2),

Domains: War, Good,
    Spell Slots: 3 / 2+1 /
    Not sure what to do about the last two Feats, some sort of Meta Magic probably, otherwise you might get some use out of Power Attack and Cleave, but they aren't the best choices. Shield Specialisation or Block Arrow might also be handy at this level.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-04-27 at 08:47 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to use the Tome of Battle in an upcoming campaign, but I'm not confident enough with the material to be confident about my character's viability. SO could someone who has a bit more experience with the Tome of Battle lend a hand, please?

1. Which of the above are you asking for?
    Level By level, to 12
    2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
    * * * * *a. ToB, Com (Mage, Arcane, Adventurer, Warrior, scoundrel), Core, PHB2, Tome of Magic, Magic Item Compendium
    * * * * *b. Human or other(if feat isn't nessecary)
    * * * * *c. Crusader, going into Ruby Knight Vindicator
    * * * * *d. Array=18,16,14,14,13,10
    * * * * *e. Non-evil
    * * * * *f. Ranger=dead(DM bias)
    * * * * *g. Concept: This guy is a body guard of a Wizard of Wee Jas, so maneuvers that concentrate on battlefield control/ healing are good, and I would like for him to deal decent damage as well.
    * * * * *h. Other: Demon Web pits campaign. I would like him to be wielding a polearm of some sort, like the Guisarme. Party composition is cleric, wizard, rouge, monk, me. Everyone but the Wizard and Me are new to the game, or unreliable, so I would like this guy to be like a rock that anchors the party(I'm making a backup character, on the good chance that someone's gonna die, and I gust might be it.)
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2007-04-29 at 01:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by wowy319 View Post
    hey there! I would really appreciate it if somebody could make a from-scratch invisible blade character for me. A good deal of skill tricks and ranks in tumble are a definite for him. Thank you for your time!

Thank you very much!
    well, personally i think a prefix of Rogue4/Swashbuckler3 would be a very good start (use daring outlaw feat from complete scoundrel). Invisible blade 5 is a quite good class. That leaves 8 capper levels. there are a few ways you could go with this... Rogue +8 is the easy way. you gain lots more SA and skills galore, as well as the ability to get a rogue special feat at 19th. swashbuckler+8 makes your bab 19 and gives you a pretty decent HP total (same SA total). if you make an elf, Champion of Correlon is great for this kind of character (dex to damage so you can ditch strength pretty much all together), i suggest finishing that build with +2 swashbuckler and some rogue. assuming you can gain acess to the tome of battle, a kukri wielding shadowhand using rogue/swashbuckler/swordsage/invisible blade of DOOM (with telling blow) could be fun as well.

30. - Top - End - #420

Hello all,

Hoping you can help me with a decent build for a one-shot character in a game I am running. The players have optimized themselves to the nines, so I want to make sure that this character is on par with them. I am the DM, so no worries about running anything by me. :)

I've never tried to build a cleric up that high, so this is uncharted territory for me.

I need a:

Cleric (or other healer type)
    Level 8 (he's the cohort of a level 10 character with Leadership)
    God of Worship is Vecna (or other undeadish diety / force, I'm open to suggestions)

The party consists of: one huge hulking minotaur fighter, one blackguard riding a nightmare, one assassin type (warblade rogue assassin to be precise) and one dread necromancer. As you can see, they are light in the healing department, except for the DN, as he's undead and can heal himself.

The cohort is just there to provide much needed healing and other support.

Sourcebooks, anything goes, as long as its official.

Spells allowed are limited to PHB, PHBII and the Spell Compendium.

Any assistance is appreciated.
    Last edited by Tyger; 2007-04-30 at 01:06 PM.