New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newtacular IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Newtacular IC

For one reason or another, you are all in the town of Tarkel, on the eastern border of Urth. As you enter the town, you see a large sign put up on the town hall, reading;

"HAIL ADVENTURES, TREASURE SEEKERS, AND CRUSADERS OF GOOD!
    YOU HAVE BEEN CALLED BY OUR WONDERFUL GOVERNMENT, AND YOUR CONSCIOUS,
    TO HELP US RID THE WORLD OF THE MONSTROUS THREAT THAT PLAGUES US! INQUIRE WITHIN.

Other than that, the town is a small farming community, and none of the locals seem excited about the sign, for their own reasons. Despite the desperate wording, the town is quiet and peaceful, no monsters or plagues disrupting the serenity. The town has an inn, a blacksmith, stables, and market.
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    "By jove, I quite believe this example of a pious warrior-priest will soon face the velocity of my greatclub in short order."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Newtacular IC

Aurix

""Well that's fairly dramatic, wouldn't you say? If it's anything to do with those Kobolds from yesterday I suppose we should enquire."

The speaker is a Gold Dragon about the size of a typical pony. It's wings are folded loosely over it's back, and it has a small satchel across it's back, every inch of it covered in gold coloured thread to blend into his scales.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A blonde man in a chain shirt almost seemed to skip into the town. Rurik had gone a week without finding anybody in need, so to him the sign was almost a godsend. Then he heard the dragon speak. Lucky day for him. After all, how often does somebody like him see a dragon? And a gold one at that. Rurik approaches the dragon with the proper reverence you give what amounted to a shiny gold lizard.

"Uhm, hello?" Well, what did you expect? It's a dragon.
    Last edited by Overlord Rion; 2011-01-28 at 08:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A man walks down the street, clad in leather armor and a heavy cloak. The hood hides his face, and as the cloak shifts, a painted silver hand can be seen on his chest. A bow is strapped to his back, and he holds a scythe in his hands. As he approaches the town hall, he notices another human and what could only be a Gold Dragon looking upon a sign, advertising for adventurers to deal with a kobold infestation. Marcus' mind wandered back to the Gold Dragon he had seen flying above the Castle Argent, many months ago. This one was far smaller, but Heironeous gave signs in mysterious ways. This would be Marcus' first test.
    Approaching the two, Marcus gave a low bow. "Greetings, Gilded One, and fellow man. I am Marcus Illiaster. You are also here about the kobolds, I assume?'

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

People dodged into doors and quickly turned their heads at the sight of the gold dragon, not knowing wether too be frightened or overjoyed. As the three talk at the entrance too the city hall, a balding man peeks around the corner corner, pulling his head back for a moment before walking out of the door with a uncertain smile.

"Welcome! You grace us, mighty dragons with your presence. I must respectfully inquire, -as we have had problems of this nature before- are you here to kill us?

If you are not, then I say welcome! I see you all are looking at my sign, I hope it's not too obvious. Are you interested? We could use people like you, er, I mean things like you. Creatures? Sorry for my grievance sirs! Don't kill me.

If you are here too kill me.. don't please." He half cowers, half hopefully looks up at the assembled group.
    Last edited by Sir; 2011-01-29 at 01:14 AM.
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show
    "By jove, I quite believe this example of a pious warrior-priest will soon face the velocity of my greatclub in short order."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Aurix stretches so he is head height with the man an puts on an extremely hammy, Shakespearean actors voice.

"Adressing me as Highness will suffice mortal."

He holds his gaze for just a second before relaxing and bursting into laughter, a wisp of flame erupting from each nostril as he did so.

"Sorry, I couldn't resist. My name's Aurix, and as long as you're not being plain rude you can call me whatever you like. And yes, me and Seja already sent a few Kobolds running back to their mothers two days back. If I can get something to eat I'll gladly assist if you're sending a group back. I'd expect compensation for my efforts of course."

This last sentance is said with a smile, it's not a threat or warning.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-01-29 at 04:40 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Seja was a touch lost. He'd wandered off for thirty seconds and came back to find the streets empty. This had happened before and though more than a little annoying, always seemed to work itself out in the end one way or another.

There was that one time he got lost in a forest for three days until his parents finally stumbled across him. "Course by that point I'd already found the Druid coven they were looking for," he mumbled to himself. He walked across three streets until he finally spotted the telltale gleam of golden scales in the sunlight along with three others stood with him. "Success!" Seja jogged over into the group, his gear bouncing along with his movements. "Ah, found you. What's going on, Aurix? Found what we're after?"
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2011-01-29 at 06:51 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Selzook

Selzook had heard in the previous village he visited that Tarkel was looking for adventurers, but as he approached the town hall, he faltered at the sight of the most unusual group. It was not every day one saw a dragon in the midst of town, casually chattering to a pale-faced official. He caught his smoking pipe before it fell to the ground, composed himself, drew deeply on it, adopted his most confident gait and approached the congregation.
    "Ho there!" he greets them, smiling, "Colourful bunch, aren't ya?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

He grows noticeably more relaxed upon hearing that the group is friendly, reaching out to shake Aurix's hand for a moment before reconsidering and pulling back.

"Do you all know each other? If so, that makes this a lot easier. Those damned kobolds up at the Lost Pass have been bothering us for years, but now they've finally done it. Word is, on the other side of the pass, Aetin is taking the blow hard, and they've got it much worse than us. We - by we, I mean the capital- have sent some troops over to help them, but they might not get there soon enough to help. Thats were you come in.

The entire country of Urth would thank you if you cleared out that pass for us, and killed the remaining leadership directing the attacks. Someone, or something, in there is intelligent enough to direct effective attacks on us, but dumb enough to send his forces out of his little hidey-hole. Whoever it is, kill it.

As far as eating, we have an inn, or farms with many livestock, whichever you prefer. Payment is tricky though, as the resources I was given by the capital is low, but I think I could afford 1000 pristine, internationally excepted gold pieces for any who enter to split evenly, plus the normal deal of whatever you find. I know it isn't much to dragons like all of you, but it would really help us, and our friends across the border out."
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"That...is acceptable." Seja says after a moment's consideration of the offer. "We shall have those Kobolds, and whatever forces were stupid enough to ally with them, roasting in short order." He punctuates the statement with just a little puff of fire at the end of his sentence to emphasise the point, though not in a hostile manner, more playful. He turns towards the odd ensemble of characters stood before him, his eyes darting over each one as he did so though, again, more out of curiosity than suspicion.

"Well it seems we're all aiming for the same goal. I suppose it would be prudent for us to join up together, if only to get this job done quicker. I'm Seja."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Selzook

Selzook smiles up at the official, "That's why I'm here sir. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to shoot a few kobolds, even if I wasn't paid for it!" he puffs on his pipe as he looks the others in the group up and down, "Aye, we'll team up, split the rewards, fight over the loot and make sure everyone has their share of the fun, eh?" he says in response to Seja and barks a small laugh, "I'm Selzook."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"Very well. That shall be more than enough. The Silver Hand does whatever needs doing." Marcus gave a curt nod to the city official before turning to his new companions. A Gold Dragon, Aurix, something that looked a cross between a Silver Dragon and a human that called himself Seja, a rather tall gnome calling himself Selzook, and another human. The mortals carried weapons, the dragons did not. Although, the dragons really were there own weapons, weren't they? "I am Marcus Illiaster, Paladin of the Silver Hand. It is an honor to make your acquaintances." Marcus gave a small bow, as was appropriate when dealing with such beasts as dragons. If he remembered his training correctly, Gold and Silver dragons were usually the good kind, but with something that could easily fry you with a breath, one couldn't be too respectful...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, this was certainly an...interesting sort of situation he'd gotten himself into. First a dragon, then this. Well, he did become an adventurer for this kind of thing. "Let's just say we're all a team. Safety in numbers, right?"

He held up his hand in a friendly wave at Seja. "Name's Rurik."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Does anyone have business in town? If no, you can just leave for the pass. It's an open offer from the government, so whoever does the task gets the payment, no need to be accepted.
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Aurix considers the man's offer.

"If you could offer me a joint of meat I'll roast it myself if you wouldn't mind. I've found that I have a much better ability to distribute the heat to my preference than most stoves. And it's quicker besides.

The payment is satisfactory combined with our 'finders keepers' rule. Once I've eaten I'll gladly set off."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

He glances around for a moment when you ask for raw meat, mutters a "Hold a second", and runs back into the building. A short time later he comes out with a very large drumstick of raw meat in a cloth, now bloody, and hands it too you.

"We were going to feed it to the dogs, but if you can cook it it's very high quality."
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Aurix is surprised.

"Well I wasn't expecting you to bring it right to me, but thank you."

He proceeds to blow flashes of fire over the meat at verious points, and it's cooked to his satisfaction in less than 5 minutes. He seems to greatly enjoy the chunks he tears off.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"So we've got Selzook, Marcus and Rurik." Seja says pointing to each one in turn to indicate he was committing the names to memory. "Pleased to meet you, though you really don't need to bow. We're all friends here, some of us are just a bit more scaly is all." He grins, or at least as much as a Dragonborn can grin.

"You know," He muses, turning to Aurix who was devouring the meat in front of him. "We could just eat the Kobolds and their companions once we get there. They're a bit stringier than most meat, I know, but at least it's not trail rations." A slight growl enters his voice on the words 'trail rations', indicating that he was most definitely not a fan of food which wasn't made out of something juicy and dead.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2011-02-02 at 08:51 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Selzook

Selzook stares with curiosity at Aurix as he cooks and eats. In reply to Seja he mutters, "Well it isn't every day one sees a dragon casually cooking and eating in the middle of town." After a few moments, he shakes his head briskly, pulling himself out of his staring, and looks around at the others, "Well! I have no pressing business in town, and my feet are all warmed up and ready to go. What about you?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Rurik shakes his head."I only just got here, but I'll have plenty of time to take a look at the town itself when we're finished I suppose." Maybe after he was done he'd figure out a way to make them all team up. After all, that was always happened in the stories he read.

No, he wasn't being naive. Stories had some basis in truth, no matter how muddled they became.

Though he'd never heard one about traveling with a Gold Dragon. At the very least, campfires would be easy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You aren't missing much in this town, it's pretty empty. Well, if you're going now, I should wish you good luck. It's going to be tough up there, and the country would appreciate it if you didn't die. Here's a map of how to get there, so you don't get lost."
    On that note, he steps back inside the building and shuts the door with a small click.

As you set off up the road, you notice that the trail to the pass hasn't been maintained in years and is covered in holes and dips, with undergrowth creeping in the sides, making a once wide road a small trail. It is generally a pleasant hike though, with nice scenery and a good view once you start gaining slight elevation. After about six hours of hiking, just as you consider making camp, you hear sounds from the other side of a small ledge, mumblings and yips of laughter that could only be attributed to kobolds. You are at the spot on the map where the pass starts, although it might be wrong.
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Selzook

"Stay here, everyone," says Selzook quietly, tapping out his pipe on the side of his boot and stowing it in an inside pocket of his coat. "This is my job. We can't camp so close to a kobold encampment, but I'll have a look first and see if it's anything we shouldn't be able to handle."

He unlimbers his crossbow, loads it and pulls up his hood. He gives the group a wink and says, "Be back in a jiffy," before slinking ahead, keeping low to the ground.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+11)[18]
    Move Silently: (1d20+7)[9]
    Spot: (1d20+8)[25]
    Listen: (1d20+10)[13]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Aurix walks along quietly, chatting pleasantly with the newcomers. When the Kobold yips start he feels compelled to speak seriously, in a much quieter tone.

"Don't let their reputation fog your mind. I know what we've been hired to do, but just because they're Kobolds doesn't mean they're our enemies. Don't strike without thinking."

All the same he lays his wings flat across his back and stretches his muscular forelegs to limber them up in case they are hostile.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-02-04 at 01:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus stands in the center of the path, not moving, not looking to either side. He could hear the Kobolds. He knew not what they said, but he did not like having potential enemies so close. Still, Aurix was right. Perhaps there was more to their new companions then one would suspect.
    "So, let us see what is what. Heironeous, let your Silver Light show the path." He whispers to himself. Reaching out with the purity of his own heart, Marcus searched for a taint, for some shadow on the souls of those who hid behind the stone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil in the general direction of the voices. I don't need numbers, or strength. I just need to know if I can Smite the little scales. :)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Rurik tenses at the new voices. Kobolds according to Aurix. Not having actually seen one, he wasn't sure whether to be excited, or to be reaching for his weapon. His left hand had already decided and was lightly gripping the handle. He spoke, but barely above a whisper.

"Just out of curiosity, how bad of a fight are we in for if they attack us?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Aurix

"Depends. They're pack hunters by nature; alone they're relatively flimsy: like a stringy Halfling, but their group tactics are deceptive and virtually flawless. Be on your guard."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you creep up to look Selzook, you see a large double door about forty feet away, made of boards of wood and what seems like three other broken doors. The doorframe itself, which is carved out of the mountain, is engraved and very much delicate and dwarven, obviously contrasting with the door. The mountain turns into a cliff here for a while, forming a good entrance. Guarding the door is a single kobold, standing ready, with three others off to the side sitting around a mat, playing some sort of game. One more is fifteen feet off to the left, slashing a bush with his spear. They are all armed with spears, and they all have them within easy reach.

About fifty feet to the side is an iron gate guarding the main merchant tunnel, broken in places but still impassable. To get through, you’ll have to go through the registration and clan area.

The one off to the side turns around to face your direction, staring at the spot your hiding for a moment, then yapping something and stepping forward. He has obviously not seen you, but he heard something most likely. You have two turns before he gets there.

Marcus senses only a faint evil, probably because of the range, but still evil. Atleast one of them is evil in nature, possibly more.
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Selzook

Selzook throws a furious look at the branch that he had stepped on and snapped, then looks back at the kobold and considers just shooting him. But then he would be up against four kobolds by himself and backup too far away. Thinking quickly, he hisses an incantation, hoping the kobold would interpret it as a curseword, and conjures the sound of hurried footsteps, snapping branches and disturbed underbrush moving away from him to his right. He watches the kobold, hoping he will take the bait.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Ghost Sound, imitating the sound of someone running away, starting at his position and moving away from him to his right at the speed of 20 ft./round.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

The kobold grins and yaps a couple words loud to the others, running into the bushes and leaping out of sight. The one at the door stands more alert, but the ones playing the game betray only minor interest, turning back quickly.
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Selzook

Selzook represses an urge to celebrate and slinks off back towards the party, hopefully quieter than he arrived.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+11)[30]
    Move Silently: (1d20+7)[13]
    And, just in case that first kobold is up to something:
    Spot: (1d20+8)[25]
    Listen: (1d20+10)[13]