New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Art of Warfare (IC)

Hey everyone! The bags are full of gold! Almost two grand Rumel yells to his companions

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Layen blinks, somewhat stunned.

"Who in blazes leaves 2 grand with that sub-par protection?" he asks, more from his surprise than any actual need to know.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nole
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man returns to the city, but enters through a different gate than you all just exited. He follows a circuitous route once inside that leads him to what looks like one of the older sections of the city and a marketplace. He stops at a few stands and then enters a building and does not return.

Everyone at the carriage
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing else of interest is found in the carriage. While no one is approaching you, you do see a group of people on the road in the distance heading towards the city that will pass relatively near you.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

4. - Top - End - #94

As the travelers approach you note that they are too engrossed in their own conversation to pay any attention to you. Shortly after they pass, Nole lands, having followed the nervous man from the air and shows all of you the note the man handed him. It reads

The Vagabond Lodge
    Ask for Mister Black

OOC: just trying to keep things moving
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

I've never heard of that place, where is it? he asks Does anyone here know?

6. - Top - End - #96

"I've heard tell of it. Quality drinks, there, if pricey. Looks like our contact has good taste. Or is a thief.

As the tavern's probably a front for a thieves guild, or something very similar. There's a nice black market here, after all."

Layen gets that all out fairly succinctly.

"If we have time, we should try to get some information on our contact before meeting him. I'd rather not be unpleasantly surprised by him."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #97

You make your way back into the city, again having no problems with the guards, though one or two seem to notice either the sight or sound of the coins you're now carrying.

As Nole leads you in the direction he saw the nervous man heading, your coins similarly attract the attention of vendors and tavern-keepers* who call out to you and slow your progress. You manage to make good use of their interest and inquire about the mysterious Mister Black. Being merchants, both their answers and their silence about giving them come at a price**, but all the jewelers and weaponsmiths are happy to give directions to the Vagabond Lodge and you find it after a few hours of walking through the city.

*OOC: let me know if there's anything you want to shop for while you're information gathering. It's a trading town, so, if you want it, you can probably find it

If you part with 20 or less gp
    Spoiler
    Show
    You mainly learn that Mister Black comes through town every month or so, either buying weapons and equipment or hiring muscle. Opinions were mixed on whether you wanted to do business with him; some looked forward to earning his favor as his orders were large, which meant big profit; others offered grim looks and rumors of what happened to those who displeased him.

For 150gp
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get the 15gp information and also are told that 'Mister Black' is the name that's used by the representative of a criminal syndicate which avoids using other names except among those that it hires on. Over the last few years, Black has been a half-orc, a gnome and, most recently, a human, though that was two months ago. The syndicate has a generally cordial relationship with the local syndicates.

For 300gp
    Spoiler
    Show
    Same information as 150gp and you learn that some of the smaller criminal organizations in Sihpopa resent being passed over by Black's organization. Also, no one will tell anyone they talked to you.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

Layen grimaces internally as they walk towards the lodge, now 150 gp lighter. It's for a good cause, he thinks, And it's not like we're going to run out any time soon, anyway

"Well, we're here," he says aloud, looking at their destination. "Ready?" he asks with a small smile as he leads the way into the tavern.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm good on stuff, for now
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

So it looks like the name won't get us too far... Rumel points out

10. - Top - End - #100

You enter the bar and look around.

A bar takes up most of the wall on your right, staffed by a middle-aged half-elf with a longish beard, including a few large casks and an impressive array of bottles. Though it's only early afternoon, a gnome is dozing on the bar two stools down from a cheerful dwarf attempting to tell the bartender what sounds like a long, involved story.

Four tables take up most of the rest of the floor space. Two are empty; one has four men playing a game of chance, a pile of coins and the occasional weapon or gem in the middle of the table when you enter until claimed by the man with his back to the wall, who glances up at your entrance; the last table has two human men in town guard livery who occasionally look over at the gaming table, though whether they intend to break it up or take the two open seats varies with each sip of their drinks. Two waitresses, a half-elf woman with light brown hair and a human with black hair, move from table to table, clearing empty plates and bringing fresh drinks.

In the back left corner is the stairway to the upper level and the far wall has two doors, one labeled 'Storeroom' and the other unmarked. A tall half-orc stands lazily against the wall between them slowly drinking an ale and slowly scanning the room, though why i unclear.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

Layen notes both the black-haired gambler and the half-orc. Either might be Mister Black, or a guard for him, as he is a different person every so often.

Layen was actually intrigued by this; he wondered if it was some kind of shapechange magic, or if the go to guy for the local criminals was actually a different person every month or so.

Regardless, Layen was in a fancy bar. There was both alcohol to drink and barmaids to schmooze, and, as an added bonus, an important client to meet.

Bah, that probably meant that the schmoozing would have to wait, though he had always been partial to raven locks (much like his own stunning hair)...

No. There was work to do. Plastering a confidant smile on his face, he waves cheerily at any patron he makes eye contact with, winks at both barmaids (and gauges their reactions for further schmoozing later) and approaches the bar.

When the cheery dwarf pauses to breathe, Layen makes a quick interruption of "I'm sorry, good dwarf, but I need but a moment of our good bartender's time," to the dwarf, before turning to the barkeep himself and saying, "Why not another for our fine dwarf friend, and one for myself as well - sized appropriately, you know. I'm only so big," he finishes with a laugh.

When the drinks come, he pays and casually adds, "Real quick, if you could do me a favor and point out someone for me? I've got to meet a man, but I don't know what he looks like. So, if you would, his name is Mister Black,"

Drink in hand and holding himself just slightly tense, he waits for the reaction from the people around him. Hopefully, it's pleasant.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nole scans the room, looking for anyone in a disguise. If he sees anyone in a disguise, he will go to talk to them, otherwise he orders a glass of wine, joins in on the dice game (only if its dice. He doesn't play cards), aiming to catch any cheaters and get some free drinks if possible, and keeps an eye on everyone.

EDIT: OOC: taking 20 on spot, beat any disguise check lower than 46.
    Last edited by vikingofdoom; 2011-03-11 at 11:00 AM.
    Thanks to Vrythas for the awesome Myrddraal avatar.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Rumel is curious of the room being guarded In back. He walks up to the Orc and asks to get past "Hey, can I take a look in the room behind you?"

14. - Top - End - #104

The dark haired barmaid smiles briefly at Layan, then turns to bring the half-orc a fresh mug of ale. The light-haired barmaid* is talking to one of the town guards and does not notice his wink.

The dwarf initially looks angry when interrupted but seems mollified by the new drink and shifts down one stool to wake up the gnome and presumably continue his story. When Layan asks about Mister Black, the bartender answers simply I never was any good at names. You'd think that'd be a problem, me a bartender and all, but I make up for it by being really good with faces. Some people seem to like it - that I'll remember their drink, but not their name - particularly some bald fella who keeps showing up with different women. Some other people in the bar do react, though.

One of the gamblers rocks forward in his chair and another die is dislodged from his sleeve. His tablemates rise in anger, but the town guard not talking to the barmaid also noticed both the name Black and the extra die. Shaking his partner to get his attention, the two arrest the cheater and make a quick exit. The other gamblers, who seem to have cared for nothing except the money they might have lost, sit to resume their game. The half-orc drains his ale and lets his arm fall against the wall before exchanging his empty mug for the new full one.

When Rumel reaches the half-orc and asks his question, the half-orc shoos the barmaid away and turns to him What're you asking me for? I don't work here. while holding out his hand as if expecting Rumel to hand him something.

Nole is invited to sit at the cheater's empty seat and the gambler with his back to the wall explains the game.

Nole (includes * and **)
    Spoiler
    Show

* This barmaid's hair is not naturally as long as it is. This is the only disguise you notice in the room.
    ** Basically, if you want to play, roll a bunch of 2d6s and I'll score it basically like the vegas dice game the forum would probably censor.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, alright, excuse me Rumel ignores his gesture and tries to walk into the unmarked room

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nole notes the extensions, then dismisses them as unimportant. He sits down and plays a couple of throws, wagering small amounts of money on each throw.

OOC: Going to play four throws, matching wagers up to 50 gold per throw.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (2d6)[4], (2d6)[3], (2d6)[7], (2d6)[5]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Guan Yu finds it better to leave the talking to his companions. He knows his place is in the battlefield, not fancy bars.

Anyway, he finds it better to blend between the costumers. he sits within earshot of the dawrf an orders a simple ale. He tries to get a glimpse of the dwarf's story.
    Playing:
    Shoe, the make-belive gun dealer
    Akira, the psichyc warrior

18. - Top - End - #108

The half-orc shrugs and takes another another gulp of his ale as Rumel moves past him. The door opens easily and Rumel steps through finds himself standing in what appears to be a closet; a broom leans against one wall with a bucket next to it.

Nole loses 100gp in a few throws, which puts the others at the table in a better mood and the gambler with his back to the wall signals the bartender for two beers. When they arrive, carried by the light-haired barmaid, he slides one over to Nole Tough luck, but everybody has a couple bad throws now and again. He takes a draw on his beer So, Mister Black, huh? I've heard the name, but never met the man; apparently, he's not a gambler. What business does he have with you lot?

The dwarf, having apparently lost his train of thought in the flurry of activity following Layan's question, turns his attention to the bartender's interesting memory. As Guan Yu's ale arrives, the dwarf first offers a few recollections about others he's known with the same sort of memory and then asks the bartender what he did before running the bar. Well, I been doing this for a while; even helped out a bit when I was young and this was my uncle's bar. Had a few odd jobs, then military service. Never saw much action, but I managed to save up a fair amount of my wages. When I got out, my uncle was looking to move on, so I gave him what I had and paid the rest of what he wanted over the next couple years. Been my place for, huh, 15-20 years now and I think it's the job I was meant to have. I agree it suits you, moreso than the army, I'd wager. The dwarf turns to Guan Yu What about you, friend? Now, you look like a military man to me. What brings you here to my favorite bar?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

"I also had my military wages in the past. As you can see, I came here to have some beer... and to find some people. do you know people?"

Guan is terrible at being friendly, but at least he can be neutral. taking 10 on diplomacy if needed, total 25.
    Playing:

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nole, taking his beer, drinks it a bit, then starts up a conversation with the friendly gambler. Thanks for the drink. We're looking for Mr. Black as he owes us some money and I mean to call him on his debt. Would you know where to find him at least?

21. - Top - End - #111

The dwarf eyes Guan Yu oddly and slowly turns his stool away, ostensibly tracking the light haired barmaid as she makes her way over to, and then up, the stairs with a plate of food and then looking out into the room to see what else is happening. Apparently at a loss for how to continue the conversation, he takes a slow sip of his beer. The bartender mouths a silent 'thank you' to Guan Yu once the dwarf's back is turned, apparently enjoying the quiet.

At the table of gamblers, the dark haired man rolls a quick 7, earning some money from the other two who'd wagered against him, then turns his attention back to Nole. Hmm, Black. I heard he pays well if you do a good job, but won't pay unless he's satisfied. You sure he still thinks he owes you for your work? What was it you said you did for him again?
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-03-14 at 09:00 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Layan, having wondered about the room and ending up near enough to the gambler's table to hear the last exchange, ambles over and drops a small hand onto his tall ally's shoulder.

"We didn't say," he begins, "Our work was a somewhat private matter. We just want to find Mr. Black and discuss it. It should be rather profitable for everyone involved," he finished, smiling glibly.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #113

Fair enough, fair enough. Just making conversation. The gambler rolls the dice around in his hand. I hear the name Black every so often, but never can get a line on him. Just curious what sort of folks do get hired. You get a sense of irritation.

In the back of the back, the fair-haired waitress pauses to talk to the half-orc on her way back to the bar. The half-orc follows her over and hands the bartender some coins, taking one last beer with him over to the empty table where the guards had been sitting. On his way past, he whispers to Guan Yu Black will meet you and your friends; upstairs; last door on the right. Be subtle... and don't forget the guy in the closet. Arriving at the table, he drops heavily into one chair and props a leg up on another.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-03-15 at 09:53 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Guan Yu does his best to apparently ignore the orc. he takes few sips from his beer, trows some uselesss quick conversation at the bartender and cals for his friend "Lyan. come here."

"Orc said black is on last door to the right, upstairs. discretely excpecting us."

He takes another sip, stares at the waitress body and smiles at lyan, with a low laughter. whoever saw that would just think it was a dirty joke.
    Playing:

25. - Top - End - #115

OOC: sorry for not posting for a few days; forums were down, then real life got in the way; so I'm going to fast-forward a bit

Layan chuckles with Guan Yu, then swivels on a stool, glancing again at both waitresses, though the light haired one looks at him and Guan Yu uncharitably, before focusing on the bartender. Say, my good man, we've just come in to town and haven't had time to find lodging. Do you have some rooms for rent? Sure do. Some of the best rates in town and you get one last drink at the end of the night to take up with you on the house. After some brief haggling, you reach an acceptable price and receive three keys from the bartender. Layan then walks over to Nole, gesturing for Guan Yu and Grexnox to follow him Let's dump our gear upstairs so we can relax. Nole looks about to beg off and continue gaming, but Layan's insistent look and Guan Yu's mild awkwardness tell him what's actually happening and the four of you head towards the back of the tavern.

Along the way, Guan Yu opens the closet door, quietly fills in Rumel and you all make your way up the stairs. After your first few steps, the gamblers seem to realize something is up, too, and move to follow you. The half-orc coincidentally, or perhaps not, stands and blocks their path through the tables, slowing them down. As you're most of the way of the stairs, you can just vaguely seem the following scene unfold below:
    The gamblers struggle past him and continue to follow you, but as they near the back corner, two more half-orcs or full orcs somehow walk out of the closet and explicitly stop them. A fight seems about to break out, but the bartender calls out Hey! You know my rules. Start any trouble and you're not coming back for a week! The gamblers grumble, but turn away and move to leave the bar.

On the top floor, you see eight rooms, four on each side of the hallway. Your own rooms are the first three on the right. Of the first three on the left, two seem to be occupied but currently empty from the state of the beds and the other looks far too neat to be currently rented. The last door on the left is closed. You knock and hear a voice from within [COLOR="#77DD33"]Enter![COLOR] The door is unlocked and you move in to a room almost as neat us the unrented one, but a man sits with his back to you at a small desk. His hair is blond, but the long coat he is wearing is a deep black. He stands as you enter and turns to face you; you realize it's the same man from the military camp, the one whose uniform had black details and who disguised your weapons. He smiles Well, good to see you all again.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Layan blinks at the man, and gives his best fake frown. "You know, we just wasted a whole bunch of time asking questions about 'you',"

Then he smiles. "So, we did our part! What's next?"
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #117

An odd look crosses the man's face, then he answers I suppose it might look that way from your perspective. But, to be clear, you weren't working for me when you raided that convoy. You were working for the army that I also happened to be working for. To be clearer, you still don't work for me, though you did help me out. And it's not my fault none of you thought to ask my name when we last met. A quick smile. Of course, it wouldn't have helped if you had, since 'Black' is neither my given name nor the one I used with my last employers.
    He begins pacing. Now then, as I know you've learned - and, by the way, in the future, pay your informants better so the person you're asking about doesn't find out you're looking for them - I represent an organization that can use men with your skills. I'd planned to use the convoy raid as your audition, but it turns out I drastically overestimated the protection it would have. Hardly a fair test. So, instead, you're going to do me a favor. He grabs a piece of parchment off the desk and holds it up. On it is a drawing of a half-elf woman. This woman is one of my operatives who has been working deep-cover in one of the other thieves' guilds in this city. A few weeks ago, he stopped sending her reports. She's either dead, captured, under too close scrutiny, or has turned. In any event, I want you to get her out. Interested?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nole considers the offer briefly, weighing the risks involved. After a while, he replies: I could be convinced to do this, for a price. However, this time I want to have a contract made beforehand, showing how much we will be paid for our work. After waiting for his employer to respond, he continues Any particular methods you would like us to use, this time?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Guan Yu just adds to Nole's comment "Dirty, secret work is especially expensive, if at all available. We need a very good reason to solve your problems"
    Playing:

30. - Top - End - #120

"I was hoping, as it were, that you'd come find us when you heard," Layan lies smoothly, winking. "Inconvenient to meet someone where they want you to meet them, you know?"

Shifting a bit, leaning back against a wall as Nole speaks. "I'm afraid I have to agree with our feathered friend. I'm all for rescuing a maiden, but heroism can leave one hungry,"

After wages are sorted out: "Do you happen to have a password or a similar way to let her know we're friends once we find her?"
    My Homebrew