New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Art of Warfare (IC)

Ah, yes, money. I can't fault you for being mercenary about it, since that's how I make my living as well. 70,000 to split however you like, if you bring her out alive and unharmed, with reasonable amounts deducted for injuries and a substantial decrease if she's dead. Looking directly at Nole, he continues We can put it in writing if you insist, but I prefer not to leave records when possible and, when it comes down to it, you either trust me to pay you or you don't. If it will ease your mind... he thinks for a moment I can give you 20 up front and the rest on delivery

Assuming that price is agreeable, he answers your questions
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandededed View Post
    "Do you happen to have a password or a similar way to let her know we're friends once we find her?"
    An excellent question. Yes, she'll know you're there to extract her if you say the words 'throbbing headache' while placing your hand on the back of your head, though, I will caution you, if she's been turned. you'll have given yourselves away.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingofdoom View Post
    Any particular methods you would like us to use, this time?
    I'll leave the details up to you; if you can't think on your feet, you're no good to me. Once you've got here, you can find me at another tavern in town, the Resting Laurel. When the man by the unmarked door holds out his hand, give him this. He tosses Nole a gold coin, one side of which has been painted black. And you won't find yourself stuck in a closet.

Moving to the desk and gesturing for you to follow, he rolls up the picture of the woman and uses it to point to a map of the city which takes up half the desk. Now then, here's the situation: Sihpopa has for major criminal syndicates which control, to one degree or another, most of the western half of the city. The east is more lawful, due to the location of the city government and a few key churches. Right now, we're in the territory of the Itaur syndicate, with whom I have a good relationship; you met one of their men downstairs, Ca'tar, the half-orc fellow that directed you to me. To the north is controlled by the Gray Guild, who focus more on buying and selling items, mainly weapons, instead of mercenary services. They, I have a rather poor relationship with - hence's the spying. Now, since they think of themselves as 'business men,' they must, of course, do business and, so, they run a sort of bazaar where one can buy almost anything, but the doors by which one can enter it constantly change. I've managed to learn of a few shops that should grant you access and once you're inside, getting out is more clearly marked. But, be careful, large portions of the bazaar nullify all magic, out of the guild's understandable paranoia about having disreputable clients and powerful weapons in the same place. That's the broad strokes. Any more questions?
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I think we can find your lost girl for you then. We'll rest the night and get started in the morning, and if you could tell us where those doors might be...

He smiles as he waits for the money, but pauses before leaving.

"By the way, what city or town did your missing minx grow up in? I think I can get a nice cover for us,"
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are three doors that should work within half a dozen blocks from here. One is three blocks to the south in a potion shop with no name, just a distinctive blue sign with a swirl pattern on it; locals call it Magruder's after the current owner. The next is sixth blocks west at a stable and armory on the edge of town, the old Martinak estate. And the last one is four blocks north in a tavern not dissimilar to this one, the Backroom Brewery.

As he answers questions, he moves to the bed and pulls out a few small bags, from which he manages to pour out 4000gp into each of your hands.

At Layan's parting question, he thinks for a moment, as if remembering. She's actually from Baranya, in the north of Bohiqin, near the Zhaodrin border, but her cover identity is from the southwest, a cluster of villages known as Shayakin, in the region of Bohiqin that extends down between Neneleg and Ch'ukal. I don't know which one you need for your cover.

OOC: map again for reference
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-03-27 at 11:10 AM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it